IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 35: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not very good

Author: Mattias Petersson from Stockholm, Sweden
25 January 2008

So the "Resident Evil"-movies have reached the trilogy-mark. Apparently the first movie trilogy based on a video game. I have to question if this is something admirable or not. The first two movies were mediocre at best, and this third installment is no exception.

First of all the story (if it matters). The world has been completely destroyed by the virus, almost all humans are zombies and the whole ecosystem has failed because of the virus. Basically the world has been turned into one giant desert. In this wasteland a few human survivors roam, among them Alice (Jovovich). Meanwhile The Umbrella Corporation has continued their research.

First of all i can say that this is probably the best-looking of the three movies. The sets are very nice and the world does feel desolate. But mostly the positive comments end there. Like in previous movies, the action scenes are the major problem i have with the movie. I don't understand what's so hard about making decent action scenes. Here we have crappy choreography, boring fights and firefights that look like people are just running around shooting randomly. There is a lot of blood and gore (obviously), but not even that manages to spice things up. I wouldn't go as far as calling the movie boring, but the more quiet moments in the movie are actually the ones that work best. And for an action movie, that's not a very positive remark.

What surprises me most about this movie is that they let Russell Mulcahy direct. There are a few directors in the industry that i wonder why people hire, Mulcahy is definitely one of those. Incidentally, so is the even-worse Paul W.S. Anderson. If you look at Mulcahy's track record, there is very little (if anything) to be impressed of. He has churned out almost exclusively crappy movies. And you can also see that in the last few years he's mostly had to settle for directing TV. Why they would hire him for this movie is impossible to understand. But i guess that it's yet another sign that the bar is not raised very high when making a Resident Evil-movie...

In the end i found this to be about as enjoyable as the first two movies. That is: not very. It's not utter crap, but it's still light years away from better action movies. The problem nowadays is that there are other zombie-movies being made that are so much better than these. "28 Days Later", "Dawn of the Dead" and "28 Weeks Later" for that matter, have raised the bar for the genre. Resident Evil doesn't even try to catch up. Which is kind of sad. I rate this 3/10.

Another great addition to the series!

Author: Prolox from Canada
22 January 2008

Third film in the popular killer zombie series, inspired by the video game of the same name, has MILLA JOVOVICH returning as the female zombie butt kicker here helping a small band of survivors look for civilization & a way to stop the zombie madness, however the diabolical scientist behind the project that created the chaos has now joined the undead, with incredible powers thanks to his new serum that may destroy her & the band of fighters before they achieve that goal! RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION was a really fun zombie picture that has loads of action great special effects, good suspense & lots of mind blowing visuals capped off with great direction & acting & you have a definite winner in this entertaining series! the zombie make-up is excellent, the story very interesting & the film keeps it's viewer hoked from beginning to end as it constantly pulls something new out of it's sleeve to keep us entertained. Fans of the series will find plenty to like, while those who didn't care for the first are advised to stay away. Either way, this is definitely an entertaining thrill ride & worthy of repeated viewings. Followed by RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE

**** stars

Do you know Alice...the world is on her shoulders.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
18 January 2008

Very good Sci-Fi with violence throughout. Alice(Milla Jovovich)has been subjected to biogenic experimentation. She is pretty and pretty damn volatile with super-human abilities. Superior strength and dexterity and she is hiding in the shifting sands of Nevada. She joins forces in the desert with Carlos Olivera(Oded Fehr)and L.J.(Mike Epps). There are new survivors Claire(Ali Larter), K-Mart(Spenser Locke) and Nurse Betty(Ashanti) combining forces to eliminate a deadly virus that has been created to turn every human on earth in the living undead. Outstanding F/X and visually exciting with hard hitting action. Ashanti is very impressive. Others in the cast: Christopher Egan, Matthew Marsden, Joe Hursley, and Linden Ashby.

Not Impressed

Author: Taffu from United States
11 January 2008

I must admit, I had some high hopes after thoroughly enjoying the first & second Resident Evil movies. The second more so than the first, left me interested to see what road they would take in the future if/when they did a 3rd film. Last night I got my chance to see this progression, and I turned the TV off wondering how I could regain the time I lost watching it back.

In classic form, Milla Jovovich does well in the role she has taken on in these films. However, aside from reappearances Oded Fehr (Carlos), Mike Epps (L.J.), and Iain Glen (Dr. Isaacs), I thought the casting was simply a dice toss for the team behind this film. Ali Larter's part could have been much better, and the lack of characterization among the "Envoy" left absolutely no connection with them, resulting in not even a single care for who lived or died in the film. Roles I thought would be built upon would have been Ali's and Spencer's (K-Mart), but the script barely writes them in other than a few lines and some action sequences.

Throughout the film there's little explanation for what happens between the 2nd and the 3rd film, other than the gradual "sucking dry" of the planet and some brief information from Milla regarding the situation with hacking satellites to stay hidden. It's unfortunate, as the 2nd film did well in creating the "Sci-Fi" element, blending a bit of "T-Virus" mutation with the "Super Human" element in which her character is built upon. Although the "Super Human" element was done well in the 2nd film, the 3rd goes a bit overboard with the "Ultimate Zombie Killer" persona as well as the "Now I have super telekinetic abilities as well" which was only -hinted- at the very end of the 2nd film. As such, the lack of explanation regarding the telekinetic abilities leaves a "Wow cool effects" but "boring" feeling.

The end, however, is so forced and absurd that I almost shut the movie off minutes before it actually ended in absolute shock as to what was being implied. Not only did they leave an opening to film #4, they did so in such a pathetic and "how-the-heck-are-they-going-to-do-that" way that it's almost like they flopped film #4 before they even officially announced it. Likewise, absolutely NO follow up as to the status of the Envoy survivors almost completely removes the purpose of watching the hour of the film before the ending. What happens? Who knows...and who knows if we'll ever find out.

3 out of 10, for cool effects, Milla in a Sci-Fi uber outfit that shows some leg skin, and the fact that it is, after all, a Resident Evil movie.

Countdown To Extinction or Shall We Await The 4th Part?

Author: denis888 from Russian Federation
30 December 2007

I have been waiting for the third part of Resident Evil for so long that the very expectation has somehow overgrown the film itself. We had it all in first two parts – great, sexy, smashing Milla Jovovich; dead men walking; suspense; special effects to the fore; always tense line of plot… And what did they offer us in the third and seemingly last part? Milla is still very sexy, she looks great even with her incredibly bad hairdos, she is sporty, strong and she fights like a man. There are dead men aplenty, and there are pools of blood a lot. The film starts not so convincingly and it goes a bit too slow and too repeated some time. But then, when other heroes appear and the action gets very tight, the film gets much better. Mind it, in today's realm of 4-hours monsters, this part with its mere 90 minutes seems a short condensed blast of pure energy. Maybe, there is not so much to think or ponder about, but who cares? After all, Milla is true to the end. She is cool, she may cry, she fights, she has a great physique, and yes, yes, fans of her body, she does appear completely naked couple of times. What else can be dreamed of? Jokes aside, the third part is a good entertainer and it holds your attention all 90 minutes + and you never regret you started watching it. The only question remains – what does the end mean? Will there be the Fourth part? After the Apocalypse and Extinction, should we expect some Retaliation or, maybe, The Last Judgment? I do not know. But if the next part is the same fast and ferocious shot of naked energy (no pun intended), I would vote for that.

Not that bad.

Author: Davi da Silva from Brazil
23 December 2007

Sorry for my English.

It's a great zombie/action movie, but not in a Resident Evil style, the trailer lies about this movie, so don't watch the trailer before you watch this. This time Alice is on Nevada Desert trying to survive, with a little group of people, including Claire Redfield (Ali Larter), from Resident Evil 2 and RE - Code Veronica, K-MART played by the charismatic and pretty Spencer Locke, Carlos Oliveira (Oded Fehr) and the Nurse Betty (Ashanti).

Best Scene: The best action scene for me, was the attack of the crows, was a really fun and very well made scene, after i saw this scene i was wishing that Hollywood made The Birds remake, and the only thing that was very disappointed for me in that scene was see Ashanti die. About Wesker: I loved that they put Alber Wesker, for me he's a really important character in the Resident Evil series, but the actor that they put to play him, it's just awful, terrible acting from him, they should have put someone else, someone with more experience.

My conclusion: The best of the three? No. But it's not the worst of them. The worst in my opinion is still the second one.

endtroducing... Resident Evil

Author: panatomic from France
27 October 2007

Well, I just watched RE 3.. and I really have to say the writer (some Paul Anderson, apparently) does deserve credit for taking his profession to a whole new level. Seriously, he achieved something DJ Shadow did for music back in the days: making a whole album/script out of samples, without ever using one bit of content he came up with himself. Just that for a film, this concept somehow doesn't seem to work as well as it did for electronic music. The most obvious ripoff, as others have remarked before me, is of course from Day of the Dead - RE 3 is in fact barely short of qualifying as a remake: cf. the underground base with the zombies around the elevator area, the virtually identical telephone-scene with the "educated" zombie and the mad scientist etc., etc. But by no means does it end there. Other "featured" movies would include Mad Max, Alien(s), Matrix, X-Men, even The Birds... you name it. Virtually every scene feels like you have seen it somewhere else before, and as usual the originals were somewhat better.

To be honest, apart from this, it wasn't that bad. Holes in the plot are frequent, yet not big enough to earnestly distract you, and dialog/acting is not bad enough to ruin the tension. Alongside low expectations, not having any relations to either the series or the game plus having a soft spot for Milla Jovovich (I loved the 5th element when it first came out) certainly helped making this flick quite tolerable for me. All in all, I felt adequately entertained, which after all is about the only reason one would watch an action/horror flick like this. Clearly in the "If You Got Nothing Else To Do, Might As Well Give It A Try"-category, 4/10 from me.

Hope is fading... Or is it?

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
24 October 2007

Never been much of a fan of the first two films (nor the video games), but this one I thought is somewhat an improvement in that it was entertaining and less showy. Thankyou. However I wouldn't make too much of it, when I still found it to be quite one-note with its plotting and covered with terribly conceived special effects. This one looks cheap, and it kinda shows in many aspects. What it concentrates is on its flashy style to storm up blistering action sequences and lets the expansive camera-work do its trick. The barren locations are well shot and the action is well handled without overplaying it. I wasn't so crazy about the erratic editing of the previous two "Resident Evil" films, but this one wasn't so bad and more often suitably focused. Some edgy, gripping and scorching set pieces do standout and the glum tone holds tight, but Paul W. Anderson's choppy story (which seems like a mixture of the first two movies) doesn't skip away from the basic one-tune to have much of a dent. Minimal post-apocalyptic b-grade nonsense with a standard script. The characters are so paper-thin, that they're never really annoy or gain your interest. To make matters worse the climax is pretty much a whimper. The performances are nothing special, and everyone goes by in a forgettable fashion. Well nearly everyone. Milla Jovovich's hell-bent turn is compelling, and Oded Fehr has a likable presence. Ali Larter is simply going throw the motions, and Ashanti is wasted but that's no complaint here. Russell Mulcahy's glossy direction stays snappy, and controlled. He throws in his fair share of cheap thrills, and the bloody make-up f/x are soundly executed. Some visuals do remind you of Romero's vastly superior "Day of the Dead (1985)". The soundtrack doesn't lend much of an impact, and the same can be said about the music score. Filled with flaws, but it works as enjoyable brainless fluff that keeps a fast-pace.

Under-rated yet room for improvement

Author: lewisray2 from United Kingdom
23 October 2007

The Resident Evil films have always been the centre of wide debate and opinion, with many people arguing they should have made the resident Evil films more... Resident Evil. Others say that they are still good action films that bring new elements to Zombie films. They are both right.

It's hard to give a review of Extinction without some reference to the other 2 films so I will warn people that haven't seen them to not read any further for potential spoilers.

In my view, Extinction brings to Resident Evil what we should have seen from the start: more imaginative ideas, the Umbrella Corporation and an improved storyline. However, disappointingly, it is too little, too late.

For example, you cannot make a Resident Evil film without some reference to Umbrella and preferably, the characters from the games. Without linking the games to the films, there is the risk of creating a more bland plot.

In the second Resident Evil they got the setting right and even added a character or 2 from the game (even the STARS briefly) but failed to provide action sequences that kept you glued to the film, with only one notable exception of the monster chasing Alice (it was only a brief scene, though). And the end battle was probably worse than the first.

With the third Resident Evil, I was surprised at the inventive abilities of the film makers I thought were lost. First, (RE3 SPOILER BEGINS) we are given an introduction which makes you think we are seeing the first film, then perhaps the second film again, and for a few moments the viewer is confused. Then the film shocks you, and you think "That can't be right." You are confused some more, then you finally start to see what's happening. I don't want to go into details, but the way the film begins is excellent.

We also get a heads-up about what has happened since RE2 and how the Earth has changed, why everyone has to stay on the run and the introduction of the main characters. Speaking of which, they finally did what they should have done in the 2nd film: introduced Claire. Jill appeared in the 2nd when it should have been the first, then she disappears and replaced by the much more talented Claire. She definitely helps the film become great instead of good, and her and Milla make an effective duo, with Oded Fehr supporting well. There is a good action sequence at the beginning of the film as well. Unfortunately the film does not contain any comedic phrases which I thought would be appropriate in the film, but it seems to me that they wanted to keep the film serious.

In addition I felt that the general communication between characters and character development (except Alice) was weak; most talk that was done was insignificant and fairly frivolous. This was one point I felt they could have spent more time on.

There are a few surprises throughout the film, however, which make up for the lack of lingo: some great action sequences, frights and unforeseen developments which are welcome additions. A quick example would be the crow scene - lots of crows and a disgusting thing to happen to you. So to an extent, there is horror - more than in RE2, but that isn't hard, and action and cool sequences tends to remain the focus of the films in this one. Personally, I would have preferred there to be an extra 20 minutes or so of character development and a longer lab scene at the end - the fight was too quick and generally Alice spent too little time underground.

It was a welcome addition to see the Umbrella Corporation too, as well as Wesker, but I felt he could have looked more like Wesker from the game better. He doesn't play a major part in the film, but I felt he was assertive and cool/calm enough for Wesker's character, so I was happy with that.

So overall I give this film an 8/10 for the great action sequences, imagination and surprising events in the film. It's what they should have done since the first film, however I felt it was a little too short to properly develop the characters and fine-tune the film to make it excellent. However I would still recommend the film as it brings a new feel to Resident Evil.

Pure suspense and action

Author: poem from Germany
19 October 2007

I was really not expecting that much from this movie - I just expected a followup to the previous ones. Especially since the producers hid the movie from the press, a move I can really not understand now, and since the last movie of Milla Jovovich, Ultraviolet, got horrible press and never was shown in any theater near me at all.

But I have to say this movie exceeded my expectations and turned out to be really suspenseful and full of atmosphere, and overall a lot better than the previous one. Milla Jovovich is cooler than ever. The story is a lot more straightforward as well, and the action and fights could have been hardly better. Like all good action movies, it also contained humor, which, in this case, was rather black.

It was however a bit sad that you had to know the previous movies to really understand this one and to fully comprehend all story twists, and I missed a bit the link between the last movie and this one.

Its a good straightforward action movie, I can only recommend it.