IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 34: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I gotta shotgun

Author: m-vinteuil from New Zealand
18 December 2009

Whereas it is easy to sympathise with Alien, Terminator, Matrix (etc.) fan boys for feeling shortchanged and insulted as they watched their beloved franchises complete the circle from B-movies masquerading as A-movies to ending up as D-movies, I'll never understand the Resident Evil crowd's objection to these flicks. The original video games were not brain food with lines like "Jill sandwich" and "you, the 'Master of Unlocking'" delivered by the most stilted voice actors heard since the Zelda CD-I games. Also, considering Romero and Co. have botched the simple concept of the zombie genre, it's fun to just escape into the post-apocalyptic fantasy land where slow moving flesh-eaters 'live' again.

It helps that I never enjoyed the entirety of Mad Max, Alien Resurrection, The Matrix, Land of The Dead and any number of other movies this steals from. And that they only chose to steal the good stuff and trim away all the talky bits. So instead of all that cod philosophy horsesh*t and exposition meetings with the Yoda Oracle that bore you to tears, you get Milla Jovovovovavich able to bend time and space until Umbrella turn off her power switch. Simple.

The film starts off with a clone Milla biting the dust: 'Evil corporation constantly cloning until they find the perfect specimen' cribbed from Alien 4. Steal from the best, I guess. This was cool. A concept so illogical that it pulls you into the fantasy. Cut to a Mad Max rip off of a truck or bus or whateverdafu*k pimped out in faux-Megaweapon armor dicing the head of a zombie as the kids aboard Dead Reckoning cheer. This was also cool... just because. Some other stuff happens like that annoying comic-relief character from the second movie getting bitten and Milla acting a more likable lead for once. Both very cool. Come to think of it, this movie is perfect at quickly dispensing with secondary characters you had just assumed would become permanent fixtures. "Mar, I don't like her... oh cool she's enveloped by crows!" it took him two movies to get there, but Paul Anderson now knows that people don't want to be annoyed by those on screen.

Although this movie lacks fundamentals like a fortified mall or a Tenpenny Tower safe zone, a Milla ginger muff shot, and a scene of a drunk sniper in a cowboy hat taking gleeful potshots of ambling zombies fueling every ten-year-old boy's dream lifestyle (they used up all three by the second pic), it does have Super Milla64. An indestructible super badass who's super motorcycle boots drove me to cross dressing with super envy. All the wire work in the climatic super duper zombie showdown in a very sandy Las Vegas elicited the same "woah!" from me as when I first saw Ted Theodore Logan bouncing off the pillars wasting regenerating video game enemies with unlimited ammo. And that's kinda the point.

Easily the best in the Resident Evil series

Author: long-ford from India
18 February 2009

This film was surprisingly watchable and I rate it the best in the Resident Evil series. The film carries on from where 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' stopped. The action is better staged and the VFX much better than the previous two films. There are some genuine scares and there's a chilling scene that works well as a homage to Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Milla Jovovich has very few lines as always, but carries the film with her presence. The story is needlessly complicated and the climactic action sequences a letdown. Still watchable at least on television/DVD.

Overall 6/10

"A cross between the Mad Max Series and Night of the Living Dead"

Author: rbrb
1 July 2008

My summary title is thanks to professional reviewer Philip French and appropriately sums up this flick and my account of it.The opening scene shows the female lead nude in the bath and in the version of the movie I watched on cable has her naked body "bubbled out" and when any actor smoked a cigarette there was similar censorship; yet countless scenes of bloody killing with heads and bodies blown to bits are left untouched! This film is part of a series itself but basically the world is infected with a virus, zombies walk the earth, our heroine has supernatural powers,a few "goodies" are trying to survive in the desert, there is a mad scientist who is part of an evil underworld etc and whatever. Some clever special effects makes this "nonsence" more or less watchable. 6/10.

A fatally flawed script, poor direction and makeup, and a pathetic musical score

Author: tellusallaboutit from United States
14 May 2008

Out of all the places on earth, having gone their separate ways years before, main characters from the last movie meet by chance in the middle of the desert near a monstrous secret underground facility containing numerous clones of one of them... and all the action in the movie takes place within driving range of a convoy that is out of fuel.

And whats with the shower thing, and the house, and the laser room and hospital? Did they want to use all the old sets again or something? Or maybe they just wanted to have this movie begin and end where the first one began so that you would remember how you thought the first one was going to be cool before you saw the rest of it...

The musical score is pathetic. Mark Snow called, he wants his lame stock sounds and unimaginative x-files music back.

Maybe the real problem is that zombies really aren't that interesting. They certainly can't carry a whole movie, especially when you put them all in daylight, dress them in matching jumpsuits, and make them all look and act exactly the same.

Hey I liked it!!

Author: Tim (videoboy1@yahoo.com) from United States
23 April 2008

First off let me say this, "I really liked the film!" I have read a quite a few reviews of this film, and some of them were positive a lot of them were negative. Some people were poking holes in the plot of the story, credibility, the acting, the writing, the directing, etc. Let me tell you something you find your favorite critically acclaimed Oscar film.You look at every single possible angle, really put every scene under a microscope you are bound to find mistakes. Also when one does this, does it not take away some of the joy of sitting back and watching a movie?

Next I will say is this "People lighten up; the film does not take itself so seriously why should you? Have you seen other zombie films? I have. Have you ever wonder about the depth of characters? Especially the supporting cast? The answers to these questions should be no. I mean you and I both know they are going to get it. The whole point to going to movies like this is to suspend one's own disbelief and to let your mind be entertained. I mean that is why so many of use read comic books, futuristic novels, about science, space travel,horror etc. Also to people who have said oh it rips of that movie, or that! Here's some food for thought, the writer himself has said that he wanted to pay a tribute to movies like Mad Max that inspired him, but put his own updated twist on it. What's wrong with that?...Nothing! Hell creative play writes have been doing this for a couple hundred years with Shakespeare. Not that I am implying the Anderson is any were near the same league as good old Billy Shakespeare. But if something inspires you, you may want to put your own twist and stamp on it." So in conclusion you don't like it… Fine go off and watch something else.

Not as good as the first two.

Author: Martin (ThatsGoodInnit) from United Kingdom, Wales
25 March 2008

I was very hyped for the release of this film, especially as i enjoyed the first 2 so much, and have played the computer games. Also i like Milla Jovovich a lot easily the best Female Action Superstar around today, she can kick Ar"". Very sexy and hugely enjoyable for all the boys. She's made a big impact on the action flick scene, and raised expectations for all future flicks, it's gone of the days where action men dominated the movie scene, we now want to see hot chicks with guns, and major cool action stunts and Milla always delivers, you want more and more. This movie does have it's high points and continues the story from the first 2 films, which is good, and often takes you back to the first and second films, the film has evolved from much more than just a zombie horror flick it has become a series like the games, and has been left wide open for a 4th because more needs to be answered, and I'm dying to see what the creators come up with next. And yes we do get a lot of blood, a lot of guns, a lot of zombies with more dogs and crows!!!! it was nice to see the cast from the second film return. I don't have anything that bad to say about it really just didn't quite reach the mark the second did, but still highly enjoyable. It was nice to see Ali Larter from Final Destination, i find she looks a lot like Milla, and before now got them both mixed up. I feel they could've used Ali more, but most likely didn't want to take the shine off Milla, not that you could! these films are her own.

Whooooo Zombies!

Author: impossiblecreature from United Kingdom
27 January 2008

OK so i was hoping to see black sheep at the cinema with some mates. When i got on the train I met my movie loving friends but they told me angrily it was not on. They then said the only other film that looks OK that is on is resident evil extinction i had only seen number 1 and this was the third so i was thinking i would'not understand the movie at all but in actually fact it had a very easy to understand story. Packed full of over the top violence and lots of gore with fantastic acting (particularly by Milla Jovovich). This film is guaranteed to make you jump out of your seat. The film also like the others made you feel very attached to Alice (Milla Jovovich) and the rest of the characters. Overall if you love Zombies and lots of violence this is the film for you!

Not very good

Author: Mattias Petersson from Stockholm, Sweden
25 January 2008

So the "Resident Evil"-movies have reached the trilogy-mark. Apparently the first movie trilogy based on a video game. I have to question if this is something admirable or not. The first two movies were mediocre at best, and this third installment is no exception.

First of all the story (if it matters). The world has been completely destroyed by the virus, almost all humans are zombies and the whole ecosystem has failed because of the virus. Basically the world has been turned into one giant desert. In this wasteland a few human survivors roam, among them Alice (Jovovich). Meanwhile The Umbrella Corporation has continued their research.

First of all i can say that this is probably the best-looking of the three movies. The sets are very nice and the world does feel desolate. But mostly the positive comments end there. Like in previous movies, the action scenes are the major problem i have with the movie. I don't understand what's so hard about making decent action scenes. Here we have crappy choreography, boring fights and firefights that look like people are just running around shooting randomly. There is a lot of blood and gore (obviously), but not even that manages to spice things up. I wouldn't go as far as calling the movie boring, but the more quiet moments in the movie are actually the ones that work best. And for an action movie, that's not a very positive remark.

What surprises me most about this movie is that they let Russell Mulcahy direct. There are a few directors in the industry that i wonder why people hire, Mulcahy is definitely one of those. Incidentally, so is the even-worse Paul W.S. Anderson. If you look at Mulcahy's track record, there is very little (if anything) to be impressed of. He has churned out almost exclusively crappy movies. And you can also see that in the last few years he's mostly had to settle for directing TV. Why they would hire him for this movie is impossible to understand. But i guess that it's yet another sign that the bar is not raised very high when making a Resident Evil-movie...

In the end i found this to be about as enjoyable as the first two movies. That is: not very. It's not utter crap, but it's still light years away from better action movies. The problem nowadays is that there are other zombie-movies being made that are so much better than these. "28 Days Later", "Dawn of the Dead" and "28 Weeks Later" for that matter, have raised the bar for the genre. Resident Evil doesn't even try to catch up. Which is kind of sad. I rate this 3/10.

Another great addition to the series!

Author: Prolox from Canada
22 January 2008

Third film in the popular killer zombie series, inspired by the video game of the same name, has MILLA JOVOVICH returning as the female zombie butt kicker here helping a small band of survivors look for civilization & a way to stop the zombie madness, however the diabolical scientist behind the project that created the chaos has now joined the undead, with incredible powers thanks to his new serum that may destroy her & the band of fighters before they achieve that goal! RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION was a really fun zombie picture that has loads of action great special effects, good suspense & lots of mind blowing visuals capped off with great direction & acting & you have a definite winner in this entertaining series! the zombie make-up is excellent, the story very interesting & the film keeps it's viewer hoked from beginning to end as it constantly pulls something new out of it's sleeve to keep us entertained. Fans of the series will find plenty to like, while those who didn't care for the first are advised to stay away. Either way, this is definitely an entertaining thrill ride & worthy of repeated viewings. Followed by RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE

**** stars

Not Impressed

Author: Taffu from United States
11 January 2008

I must admit, I had some high hopes after thoroughly enjoying the first & second Resident Evil movies. The second more so than the first, left me interested to see what road they would take in the future if/when they did a 3rd film. Last night I got my chance to see this progression, and I turned the TV off wondering how I could regain the time I lost watching it back.

In classic form, Milla Jovovich does well in the role she has taken on in these films. However, aside from reappearances Oded Fehr (Carlos), Mike Epps (L.J.), and Iain Glen (Dr. Isaacs), I thought the casting was simply a dice toss for the team behind this film. Ali Larter's part could have been much better, and the lack of characterization among the "Envoy" left absolutely no connection with them, resulting in not even a single care for who lived or died in the film. Roles I thought would be built upon would have been Ali's and Spencer's (K-Mart), but the script barely writes them in other than a few lines and some action sequences.

Throughout the film there's little explanation for what happens between the 2nd and the 3rd film, other than the gradual "sucking dry" of the planet and some brief information from Milla regarding the situation with hacking satellites to stay hidden. It's unfortunate, as the 2nd film did well in creating the "Sci-Fi" element, blending a bit of "T-Virus" mutation with the "Super Human" element in which her character is built upon. Although the "Super Human" element was done well in the 2nd film, the 3rd goes a bit overboard with the "Ultimate Zombie Killer" persona as well as the "Now I have super telekinetic abilities as well" which was only -hinted- at the very end of the 2nd film. As such, the lack of explanation regarding the telekinetic abilities leaves a "Wow cool effects" but "boring" feeling.

The end, however, is so forced and absurd that I almost shut the movie off minutes before it actually ended in absolute shock as to what was being implied. Not only did they leave an opening to film #4, they did so in such a pathetic and "how-the-heck-are-they-going-to-do-that" way that it's almost like they flopped film #4 before they even officially announced it. Likewise, absolutely NO follow up as to the status of the Envoy survivors almost completely removes the purpose of watching the hour of the film before the ending. What happens? Who knows...and who knows if we'll ever find out.

3 out of 10, for cool effects, Milla in a Sci-Fi uber outfit that shows some leg skin, and the fact that it is, after all, a Resident Evil movie.