IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 35: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Alice's Fight Continues In This Decent Sequel

Author: David Arnold from United States
15 January 2015

In this 3rd installment of the Resident Evil series, we find that the T-Virus has spread out from Raccoon City at an alarming rate and has infected practically the whole of mankind. Alice continues her fight against the Umbrella Corporation and has now reached the baron deserts of Nevada where she joins up with a small band of survivors. Acting on information that the T-Virus hasn't reached Alaska, they all decide to take a chance and make the distant journey. However, Alice still has the Umbrella Corporation in her sights, so she now has to make a decision on whether to stay with her new friends, or continue her fight against Umbrella.

I think it's pretty safe to say the film adaptations of the Resident Evil games have taken on a whole new self perspective as they don't really have anything to do with the game series now. Yes there's the Umbrella Corporation, the T-Virus, the zombies, but that's about it really. That's not a complaint, though - just a mere observation, because this is still a decent film and if you go into it just to watch it for what it's supposed to be, then you shouldn't really be too disappointed.

Like the 2nd film, the story obviously isn't the main ingredient and it's the action that keeps it going, but in saying that I did feel that there was more of a developing story than what was in Apocalypse, but not by much. But let's be real here - we don't watch this type of movie for the riveting plot & gripping story lines...we watch them for the action and like I say, the action & visuals that are in the film is good enough to keep you entertained.

Another thing I like about this movie is that it does continue the story (even if it is thin). It's not a sequel that has absolutely no bearing on the previous movie(s) and just uses the film name. You can watch it as a stand-alone film, but you'll not really have much idea what's going on so it's best watching the previous movies 1st.

Definitely worth a watch.

better than part 2

Author: trashgang from Midian
6 December 2012

W hat a great opening this flick has, it takes you back to the ending of part 2 and the start of part 1. It picks up exactly when Alice (Milla Jovovich) breaks free of a new experiment being hold on her body but it also takes you back to the original Resident Evil when Alice wakes up in the shower.

Finally the effects were much better than Resident Evil, here they went back to real effects and less CGI although CGI is still an important part in Extinction. Also this time things are seen on-screen instead of being done off-camera.

I wont go into the story itself because Alice has new abilities and is confronted by...Alice. Further she a loner in a world gone by but when a weird dream happens she has to join another group. Together they're of to destroy the Umbrella company and of to Alaska, were there is no infection.

I liked it because I just watched the previous parts otherwise you wont understand all what's going on. There's no explanation who and from where the group comes that Alice joins. A nice entry and for me better than part 2.

Gore 2/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

A Step Up From the Previous Two

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
8 September 2012

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

** (out of 4)

Third film in the series has the zombie outbreak wiping out the majority of human life across the world. Alice (Milla Jovovich) leads a small group of survivors through the Nevada desert as they try to make it to Alaska where there are reports that no infections have happened. RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION is a step up from the previous two films but like those this one here starts off extremely well but slowly loses its way as it drags on. I thought the story here was actually the best of the three films because it could have made for a very entertaining survival picture. I thought the idea of these people traveling through the desert and heading towards Alaska could have made for a great adventure movie but sadly the screenplay goes off this mark and instead just goes for routine gunfights and zombie attacks. It's a real shame they didn't try to do more with the story that they started because it could have made for something so much better. Instead we just get the same old stuff as one survivor gets eaten after another and in your typical, boring manor. What's worse is that the final thirty-minutes just drag to the point where you'll be nodding off from boredom. It's a real shame that they couldn't have done more with the final act. Still, Jovovich turns in another good performance in the lead, although it's too bad they decided to wrap her up in a thick jacket instead of the skimpy clothing she wore in previous films. The supporting cast is also much better here, which is a plus. The CGI zombies are quite boring and all the fake computer effect gunshot wounds really add up to little.

Worth a few hours.

Author: sammyocarr from United Kingdom
17 May 2008

Now i don't give long rambling reviews on films, i don't drone on about their effects, casting, writing or directing. I could for this film, the effects were great, simple, believable and effective. The casting was meticulous, (specifically the gorgeous Milla Jovovich). Basic writing and decent directing.

However i feel the main issue with Resident Evil, is that the plots are becoming rather stale, take this one, Predictable end and action scenes. I will give credit for the opening scenes, they did grab my attention, however i feel the film would of lost my interest if Milla Jovovich wasn't kicking ass in shorts.

Basically the film is relying on the simple format that is zombie films, Girls, Guns, Guts and Gore. But this system has made good films in the past and so probably will for Resident Evil.

Obviously we can expect another, following the same typical ideas that conclude all Zombie-like films. Hopefully it will have a more interesting plot. I found this film to be worth viewing, but not twice, its good for a spare evening and especially if you've seen the others.

Overall, quality, easy on the eyes, action is all anybody wants from a zombie film, and this delivers it perfectly. Worth Watching

uh oh

Author: jefonline from Canada
30 March 2008

I'm not too sure what happened with this movie but I don't think it was as good as the first one, and was equally as 'weird' as the 2nd. I do think that this trilogy is an example of what happens when a director takes on a project and another director tries to do a sequel to it.

It's the same story with the 2 remakes of The Hills Have Eyes. In that case the guy who did the first apparently backed out of the 2nd one. In the case of Resident Evil, it's pretty much the same story. Paul WS Anderson did a pretty good job of the 1st movie, but the 2nd, directed by someone else, wasn't nearly as entertaining.

This one, the 3rd installment, proved to be borderline disaster, especially with some of the dialog, was bad at times, survived only by a few good scenes (death scene near the end with the red lasers). I also noticed that the 3rd one took a few scenes from the original, and I'm not too sure if I liked that.

Milla Jovovich looked stunning as normal, but now I am hoping she can talk Paul WS Anderson into coming back for the 4th. I really liked the last death in the movie where the zombie was sliced by the intertwined lasers but that was one of the few bright spots. I really think that to make Resident Evil Degeneration any better, you need the movies' original director, Paul WS Anderson. The other thing I liked about it is the last couple camera shots tell you there is going to be a 4th.

I find it hard not to get hooked on the story, though. I really thought the 1st movie was good enough to buy the DVD but thought they took some steps backwards with the 2nd and this one.

Not Feeling It So Much

Author: evil_pixie_one from United States
18 March 2008

I knew it wasn't gonna be like the first two when I saw the preview, but I was set on seeing it anyway. Well, it was disappointing yet satisfying, if that's possible. It didn't disappoint on gore, awesome zombie kill scenes (the highway/truck kill) and action. They changed too much stuff that was cool in first and second movies (like the digital Queen and the box Alice was kept in after the crash). Had some good lines and scenes, but overall, I didn't enjoy this as much as the first two. It's like Blade Trinity, which was good, but not as a Blade movie. Extinction: Good as a movie, but NOT as a Resident Evil movie. I'd watch it again, but there isn't as much enjoyment in this one.

The latest remake...of extinction

Author: kimmo-tyyska
20 February 2008

The Extinction follows much of the same structure as earlier sequels; the biovirus is out in the wild, zombies everywhere, Umbrella corp. Is the trying to benefit from its disastrous deeds and Alice(Jovovich) is developing overwhelming mutational skills. Comparing to earlier sequels this one is more like the first part, less humorous and action movie style than Apocalypse. Plot is not very convincing, main thrills seems to have been borrowed this time from Mad Max, Aliens, perhaps Hitchcock.

Also, characters are indeed very thin as typically in action movies. However, Alice developing her physical and especially psychokinetic powers is very impressive theme (and as becomes evident in the film probably this will be developed in following parts?). All in the film goes on like freight train, much of action, much of horror, nothing much to note, nothing much to complain.

Although the film may not be very satisfying itself (as compared to first part), the main theme (extinction) is. Haven't seen a movie, so successfully describing the deserts and hopeless lands after the world wide catastrophe. Extinction very successfully creates the feeling of post Nuclear War world. For that, watching it as an picturesque example of its theme, the film is just perfect. The colors, the deserts, the road movie theme (stolen, of course from Mad Max II), all seems to fit just fine. In that the film saves the day and probably boxed it home too, so hopefully we are too see more sequels (which probably won't be as much of quality(?). One more thing, the music is again quite impressive, a bit of ambient, a bit of metal. There's an interesting remake of White Rabbitt but I don't recognize the band...

For its genre, a very entertaining movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
2 January 2008

OK, confession time. I like Milla Jovovich. I liked her in "Messenger", and I liked her in other roles. She is a good actress, and she is very cute.

Here she is back as Alice, with fighting skills like no other mere mortal, and best of all, an immunity to the deadly virus that the undead are now carrying. A research group recognizes this and they have been cloning her in a deep underground research center, hoping to use the blood to develop an antidote that not only will prevent their getting the disease, but will also turn the undead into docile animals that they can train. With all this they could rule the world, and rebuild it to what they want.

Ali Larter is good as Claire Redfield, leading a caravan of others, looking for a safe place to relax and live. One challenge is getting supplies, especially fuel. They find some notes that lead them to believe Alaska is uninfected, and they hope to travel there.

For what it is, a very entertaining movie, its 90 minutes moves along very quickly, and the ending sets itself up for the next sequel.

Alice In Zombie-Land

Author: Drusilla1235 from United States
17 December 2007

The third installment in the Resident Evil franchise is-the best. Now of course that doesn't say much-because the first two films-while completely fun-were mildly retarded.

The film is another action horror romp with which we are all familiar with. The film's action is it's strongest asset (besides Milla). It has pretty amazing fight sequences-although they are far apart and short. They just leave you wanting more. It isn't a bad thing-it kind of restores excitement into the series. Another large asset, as previously mentioned is the ever beautiful Milla...although they almost photo-shopped her face out of the film with retouching. Still, she is as beautiful and edgy as ever. The CGI is well done too...not amazing...but it'll do.

The film's weakest aspect is the acting. It is terrible-along with the casting of Ashanti-tisk tisk tisk-it doesn't take much talent to act and succeed in a Resident Evil film-but the fact that she couldn't is really depressing. Everyone else is just mediocre at best-and that is being nice. Another weak aspect is the diologue...it is so unbeleiveable, corny and campy, and not in a "we know we are corny...just go with it" way either, a "it is the end of the world...and I am gonna make an obscure-not funny joke OK?" sort of way IS THE DIOLOGUE IN THE FILM. The other weak aspect of the film is unfortunately the fact that Alice once again is devoid to any emotion-BIG SURPRISE-but it wasn't Milla-it was her husband. Alice see's a DITCH of dead clones of herself and doesn't say anything-she gets a slightly angry scowl on her face, but nothing more-no "I am gonna kill these motha f****as", just "It is payback time buster".

So all in all the film IS FUN-while reserved (considering its predecessors) but this isn't "a revenge flick" or even "a horror flick"-it is an action flick and unfortunately it doesn't manage to be all three (even though it could have been done SO EASILY)! Well...we still get to see Milla, so...I guess it is an OKAY film.

The horror is back

Author: Terryfan from United States
12 September 2012

Once again Alice (Milla Jovovich)is place in a quest for survival from the undead created by Umbrella's T-Virus. To make matters worst her powers have become more dangerous for her to use.

This time however she is a loner trying to stay away from others as often as she could because she is scared that anyone she comes close to would be place in danger.

Dr.Isaacs (Lain Glen) has been creating clones of Alice to learn more about her powers and how to improve on it only if he can convince Albert Wesker (Jason O'Mara) (Personally I don't think Jason was a good wesker whatsoever). Wesker is not impress with Dr.Isaacs plan to see if they could control the undead infected by the T-Virus.

A brand of Survival lead by Claire Redfield (Ali Larter) with members Carlos, SJ, Kmart and many more.

They drive across the country to find a safe place that is left on Earth after the t-virus has spread through most of the world leaving only a few survivors.

The movie takes place four years after Resident Evil Apocalypse and the virus has spread through out the Earth leaving few survivors and only a small band of survivors are willing to fight Umbrella.

The movie feels a good mix of action and horror with many new characters and new monsters like the Crows make their debut in the movie replacing the lickers from the first two movies.

Also the music fix the story of the movie for fans of the Resident Evil Series.

I love the action scenes in the movie and how Alice and Claire become the real heroes of the movie. Both going through the challenges such as Alice's new powers and Claire's role as the leader of a convoy.

All in all still a very good movie in the series if you're a fan of the series so I would give it a recommendation.

I give Resident Evil:Extinction a 8 out of 10