IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Perfect!

Author: Joe Miller from United States
21 June 2012

This is probably my favorite Resident Evil so far and I must say this is my all time favorite movie.

This isn't just a zombie movie with just killing and death.

This is an actual story that you can get into!

Lots of action and intense scenes and of course a lot of Alice!

I showed this movie to my Mom who absolutely hates zombie movies and she loved this movie and ordered the others the next day.

This movie is a lot of fun to watch and really doesn't get old.

And finally Milla Jovovich does an amazing job and makes this movie a perfect 10 out of 10 for me!

Buy this movie!

~Joe

Although the film has its flaws, I absolutely love it!

Author: aimee294 from United Kingdom
1 August 2010

I absolutely love the resident evil films as I have watched them all lots of time, it might be just me who is taken in by Milla Jovovich,Oded Fehr and Ali Larterand acting skills but this has to be one of the best films yet and me being a huge fan of the films thought they wouldn't be able to do a better job. Although the film has its flaws like the new easier killing zombies who can be killed by slashing the through or shooting them in the mid-drift a slight flaw they didn't think through but it is still an outstanding film! The thing I love most about this film is that it doesn't fit into the stereotypical zombie film, like running round a confined space like in the first film or set in the middle of a big city over run by the undead like in the second film instead it is set slap bang in the middle of a desert in the day time only a really good director could make that type of a film scary! This film is so grate because I can watch it 10 times in a row and still not get bored, I really don't no how they will top it for a forth time!!!!

By far the best of the series

Author: ozymandiaskingofkings from United Kingdom
24 August 2009

With Extinction, the Resident Evil franchise sees a huge shift in gear from the previous two instalments. While RE and REA were action movies riffing off "Aliens" and "Dawn of the Dead" respectively, this is far more pessimistic, more ambitious and, in all senses, better.

Extinction, unlike the quasi-faithful Apocalypse, takes a huge departure from the games that are its source material, re-imagining the series as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi/horror, perhaps best described as a hybrid of "The Road Warrior", Romero's "Day of the Dead" and Richard Matheson's classic horror novel "I Am Legend", as we are shown a scorched world overrun with zombies and populated by only a few survivors, though isn't quite as effective as it's progenitors.

Essentially, the film follows two parallel narratives which ultimately connect at the film's finale. The first one is a basic Mad Max affair, as Claire Redfield (Ali Larter) leads a ragtag convoy of survivors across America in search of sanctuary from the undead hoards, meeting Jovovich's telekinetic super-soldier Alice along the way. The second, which is in many ways far more interesting, follows the work of Umbrella scientist Dr Isaacs (Iain Glenn) as he labours in an underground bunker to domesticate the zombies in search of an eventual cure (a storyline lifted almost wholesale from "Day of the Dead"). There is also a subplot involving the shadowy Albert Wesker, a fan favourite character who seems to be directing things from behind the scenes, but doesn't really have much to do (though is set up as the next film's big bad).

Technically speaking, the film is light years ahead of the last two. For one thing it is helmed by "Highlander" director Russell Mulcahy, who, despite a dubious resume is a far better action director than Alexander Witt or Paul Anderson and also brings with him a far more mature, impressive, eye for images. Sure, Anderson is pretty good at claustrophobic horror (well, variable. Event Horizon was fantastic, RE good, AVP atrocious) but less skilled at this kind of epic scope, so Mulcahy seems a good choice and conjures some effective George Miller-esquire set pieces.

In terms of cinematography and editing, the film also outstrips its prequels, especially its immediate predecessor, creating an effective feeling of tension while brilliantly conveying the twin worlds of the film: the scorching, death choked and sun-blasted deserts and the clammy, clinical world of the scientists. There are also some truly wonderful moments: an attack on the convoy by T-virus infected crows, the crumbling ruins of Vegas, Isaacs attempting to teach a zombie using kids toys and, best of all, his transformation into one of the games iconic "Tyrants" for a thrilling climax.

The acting is far more variable. Milla is once again great as the now iconic Alice, while Iain Glen is sublime as the sinister antagonist Dr Isaacs. Ali Larter should also be praised, as while her Claire Redfield has nothing in common with her game counterpart, she is suitably feisty and charismatic to convince as a hero for the survivors (though the question of what happened to Jill Redfield is never answered).

There are some character problems. The rest of the supporting cast are 1-dimensional, and attempts to give them Whedon-esquire quirks don't always come off, making it difficult to care about their survival. The storyline is also sometimes muddled, and Alice's development of telekinetic powers is handled very badly, coming across as little more than a deus ex machina. Albert Wesker is also miscast, appearing more as a cocky American executive rather than the calculating and charismatic English mercenary beloved by the fans, though there is still time to sort this out in the sequel (or possibly recast).

Overall this is a very good action sci-fi film in the Terminator/Mad Max molds and marks a real positive improvement from the last entry. Stylish, exciting and visually impressive, this is a great popcorn film, and I eagerly await the next instalment.

Resident Evil Extinction Okay But Still Flawed

Author: tburke85 from United States
18 June 2009

Resident Evil Extinction is okay but still flawed from director Russell Mulcahy who's admirable in making this third film but the lack of character development, more suspense, and a disappointing third act surprise villain are what weighed this one down the most at least to me. The cast for the most part are good in their roles including Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Ian Glen, Mike Epps, and Oded Fehr who's part like many others unfortunately is cut kind of short near the end. The rest of the cast including a brief cameo appearance by Ashanti are okay in their small parts but none of them get a chance to shine because they're written out of the movie rather quickly. The action sequences are well executed and paced. The special effects including the zombies and brief appearances by other creatures are impressive. The villain near the end known as The Tyrant who Glen's character turns into looks terrifying and deadly but his anti-climatic showdown with Jovovich near the conclusion is a letdown. The twist at the end was a bit of a surprise and the ending does leave it open for another one but I think three is enough for now. This movie isn't really that bad there are just flaws that weigh it down which could've been improved . Overall Resident Evil Extinction is decent with enough action, bloody deaths, good special effects, some suspense, a little humor, and solid performances by the cast who make this third entry in the trilogy worth watching but it could've been a lot better.

Not as good as Apocalypse, but better than the first film

Author: misbegotten from United Kingdom
28 September 2008

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of zombie movies per se, so although I thought the first Resident Evil movie was entertaining, I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the film. However, the sequel Resident Evil: Apocalypse is a personal favourite, because it sneakily switches genres and is essentially a big-budget action movie... that just happens to include zombies. In my humble opinion, Apocalypse was the best action film of 2004, the year it was released. It boasts some highly memorable sequences, in particular the initial confrontation between Alice and Nemesis, which is an incredibly exciting set-piece.

And now we have Extinction, which switches genres again, giving us a post-apocalyptic movie... that just happens to include zombies. The plot is non-existent, the storyline merely consisting of three groups - Alice travelling solo, a convoy of survivors (including L.J. and Carlos from Apocalypse), and employees of the still-villainous Umbrella Corporation - all travelling across the dustbowl that used to be America, occasionally intersecting with each other and trying to avoid having their faces eaten off by the walking dead. Don't expect any characterisation either. The cast do their best, but have nothing to work with, other than reacting to events by looking anxious, frightened, angry, determined or sorrowful. The only major new face is Ali Larter, who at least gets to channel Sarah Connor.

Extinction is helmed by Russell Mulcahy, who I consider to be hugely talented and much overlooked. His previous films include Razorback, Highlander, The Shadow, Blue Ice, Resurrection, Silent Trigger, and Highlander II: The Quickening (which was sunk by a truly awful script - but there was nothing wrong with Mulcahy's direction). Unfortunately, Extinction lacks Mulcahy's distinctive stamp, although the set-pieces are carried out with plenty of visual flair. The only real disappointment is that the battle between Alice and end-of-level baddie Tyrant starts very promisingly but is over far too quickly. The reappearance of certain key elements from the first film (the laser grid being the most obvious example) may bring the trilogy full circle, but it's clearly a blatant attempt at pleasing the series' fans. Such a tactic smacks of desperation and dangerously flirts with becoming annoying. That said, I loved the scene in which Alice meets the White Queen, sister A.I. to the Red Queen from the original movie.

Great sequel

Author: ctomvelu-1 from United States
6 July 2008

How many second sequels can you think of that hold up as well as the original or even the first sequel? RE: EXTINCTION does just that, thanks to a clever plot, fine performances from several seasoned actors plus some eye-popping special effects and set designs. A ragtag group of Raccoon City survivors is trying to find its way to a place of safety, and ends up crossing paths with Alice, who by now is so powerful she can actually control the elements. Meanwhile, the creeps back at the Umbrella Corp. are still after Alice, mainly for her blood. There are fights galore against an endless army of zombies, but the most amazing battle occurs between the survivors and thousands of zombie crows. For those old enough to remember Hitchcock's THE BIRDS, this confrontation plays out like that old classic on steroids. Oded Fehr from THE MUMMY movies and Ali Larter of the FINAL DESTINATION flicks are on hand as leaders of the caravan of survivors. Milla Jovovich is once again on hand as Alice, but there is reason to believe this will be her final performance in that role should yet another sequel get green-lighted. The end is a real kick in the head, by the way. The film has some awesomely gory moments and is not suitable for young children.

Milla Kicks Some Ass!

Author: fwomp from United States
13 March 2008

Call me old fashion, but I just love to see a good looking gal with sharp weapons beheading zombies. The gal is none other than Russian-born supermodel turned action star Milla Jovovich (ULTRAVIOLET). Most will probably remember her from the sci-fi comedy hit, THE FIFTH ELEMENT where she played Leeloo (aka The Fifth Element). The movie was an astounding success and helped launch her into more mainstream films and out of her B-movie dregs.

Milla was also picked up by the Resident Evil franchise in 2002 (films based on the computer game), and she seems to have found her footing in these betwixt-type slasher/zombie movies.

Reprising her role as Alice, a genetically enhanced human-machine, Milla kicks some serious ass. She is reunited with love interest Carlos (Oded Fehr, THE MUMMY series) and her wayward band of zombie dodging wanderers while trying to keep a low profile from the genetic seekers that live in an underground complex in desertville. These scientists are trying to find a way to combat the increasing zombie threat. Problem is, though, is that a power hungry mad scientist named Dr. Ashford (Jared Harris, LADY IN THE WATER) is developing a serum to help cure or tame the zombies' insatiable hunger for human flesh. But the serum goes awry and Dr. Ashford becomes something of a monster himself.

Meanwhile, Alice and her buds are fighting off zombified crows and left-over gamblers in Viva Las Vegas, all while the mad scientists bear down on her.

The movie is what it is: a zombie flick that goes overboard when it comes to the creation of a new creature. But the zombies are realistic looking, and Milla looks (and acts) great as the reluctant desert hero, trying to find out who she is and where life is taking her. You don't have to do a lot of thinking during the entire film; it's all laid out for you in wonderful slash-o-vision.

It would've been nice, though, if the screenplay hadn't incorporated this new creature I mention. That went so beyond anything that it truly spoiled much that had come before.

Still, RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION is a fun film to watch. And a must for Milla fans.

Wow they somehow made a movie worse then the second

Author: ttdoggie5 from United States
4 August 2008

This is the worst movie I have seen in a long time. The story is like something a 8th grader would come up with, and there are many things that don't add up in the plot. For one how does a Chopper carry all those people and still have gas to make it to Alaska and where do these people get water? Or why do they keep cloneing Alice when the 1st one just broke out and now wants to destroy umbrella? Or how does that fence hold off over a 1000 zombies? There's more then that

The action isn't even that good just over the top stunts that suck like Alice making a fire shield or that stupid tyrant that looks just as bad, possible worse then nemmy looked in the second and then there's that fact that this movie has almost nothing to do with that game.

I would not hate this movie so much if it had'nt destroyed the chance of a good resident evil based movie.

And the way the movie ended the climax fight between tyrant and Alice was ended by a clone waking up knowing how to use an umbrella computer and turn on lazes that kill off tyrant.

I could go on and on about how bad this movie was but there is a good chance this will never be read so I will end it here

The best yet!!!! could be classed as spoiler as storyline is mention but twists aren't given away

Author: jaylex_ffxi from United Kingdom
12 October 2007

I know that there are a lot of Judas's out there who are extremely stuck up about game-films, and will always give them a thumbs down regardless of seeing the film or not, however to give this film a thumbs down, is almost criminal. Obviously the first film was full of holes and was generally a sloppy mess i'm sure plenty of people will agree with me, apocalypse was actually decent, the stunts and visuals were very entertaining and nemesis debut was warmly welcomed.

Moving onto number 3. One of the best things about this film is the story, it's actually believable because it could happen one day; in fact its a story similar to the 28 days later film. The story is set soon after the sanitation of raccoon city where the T-Virus was supposed to have been obliterated. It wasn't. The T-Virus spreads globally and infects the entire world, drying up lakes and turning the planet into a baron wasteland. Caught up in the midst is a convoy lead by Claire Redfield, Carlos Olivera and LJ, the remaining umbrella corporation lead by Albert Wesker, and of course, the heroine, Alice. Professor Isaac (the bad dude) is trying to find a cure for the T-Virus to end the zombie infestation but runs into a few complications.

This film boasts action more than any of it's predecessors and will not fail to impress you with it's improved fight scenes, the only real downside is the absence of one important character and another, but not so important character, Jill and Angela, which is disappointing because they were a likable characters. There are quite a few dramatic scenes, so it's not all blood, guts and senseless violence, there is a sense of loss and sadness in it. Talking about blood and guts. This film is much bloodier than any of the previous films and does add a bit more eye pleasing scenes if you like seeing blood spraying everywhere and people being slashed to pieces. Another thing that is quite impressive, is the very slight hint of the G-Virus coming into effect, even though it hasn't a label clearly saying, 'G-Virus, Big Daddy's Only' you can still see the similarities and could aid the story in a 4th one. Yes, that's right folks! It's pretty certain that there's going to be number 4.

Overall I give this film 10/10 because I can't really find anything highly disappointing about it. I wont downgrade it because it's based on a game, that would be very narrow minded, also because it's not meant to be a film thats meant to make you walk out and say that it made a valid point, or it was hilarious, or for whatever reason because it's a film thats meant to be entertaining and something to enjoy on a rainy evening or afternoon, not something you can have a 5 hour debate discussing the moral rights, or historic event that the film is based on. To be completely honest with you, films like that are rather boring and often send me to sleep, I'd much rather watch resident evil extinction than "Gone With the Wind", or "Syrianna" any day. You go to a cinema to be entertained and come out thinking 'wow those fighting scenes were amazing, well worth the money' not to come out and discuss politics. Anyway enough of my ranting, some of you will agree with me some of you will lob rotten lettuces at me, but if you enjoyed the Resident Evil films, then this film is for you and I fully recommend it. If you just want to watch it for the eye pleasing stunts, fight scenes etc, then I fully recommend it, but if you want a film based on historic events such as apartheid, sorry do not watch this you'll just come out wishing you spent the last 2 hours in the pub discussing various topics.

All I can say now is......Bring on number 4

So let's try this... again...

Author: Gergely Brautigam from Hungary
28 September 2007

So i decided to watch this movie because i saw the second part a month ago. I must tell this movie is at best a 5... And i would give it a five for the action and the blood and the zombies of course. The screen play was middle the script was lame. The story was so predictable that it almost amazed me how good i could tell who dies and why. I mean L.J. getting bit and then not telling? Come on... And then of course after he turns he bites the main character.. Who else? They are supposed to be pro-s at killing these things. Well they were less then amateurs. They did not even had Molotov's or at least a few grenades. But of course you could always say the ran out of it... I think this movie lives from the hype.. But i can give it at most a 5... The ending was funny thou.. :)