IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great Zombie film, Yes - Resident Evil film, No

Author: dachande07 from United Kingdom
12 October 2007

While this RE3 was a cracking zombie movie, it strayed to far from the original concept and excepted storyline. In my opinion this has rendered the movie pointless in the RE franchise.

Let's not forget that Resident Evil owes it popularity to the game series, so I think it's only right that they try and stick to it, even if it's just a little bit. It seems very much like the director wanted to make an updated version of Day of the Dead, if you've seen DOTD you'll see what I mean in the first 5 minutes of RE3.

If this were a stand alone movie I would have given it 10/10, but it isn't, they've tried to be too creative and the director has tried to make a different movie. By doing this he's make a cracking zombie film. but a Resident Evil film, I think not.

I only hope this isn't the last one, it would be a terrible waste.

Not as a good as the first two movies, but still a solid good third entry.

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
9 October 2016

Honestly I was a little disappointed with this flick how it turned out to be! Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Apocalypse are my all time favorite films that I love to death, but Extinction is not my favorite Resident Evil film but I still can watch it, I love this film is not as good as the first two films were that were more scary and more darker, this film isn't! It is more an apocalyptic action film in the desert why is the film in a desert when it is all extinction? Is this a game anymore? Directed by Russell Mulcahy and written by Paul W. S. Anderson. Russell Mulcahy directed Highlander 1 and 2 my all time favorite films and he directed a lot of movies. So now Russell Mulcahy want's to make this film Road Warrior meets the zombie film okay cool idea.

Plot: Survivors of the Raccoon City catastrophe travel across the Nevada desert, hoping to make it to Alaska. Alice (Milla Jovovich) joins the caravan and their fight against the evil Umbrella Corp.

I still think the first two films are superior movies than this one the third one, I do have a lot of problems, again this movie is just not scary

enough to me and I don't think it is a horror movie at all. It is more a sci-fi action movie, it is still better than Afterlife and Retribution that both of the films were a let down. Milla Jovovich is back to kill more zombies in the third chapter of the hit Resident Evil franchise! An action/horror film filled with huge special effects and edge-of-your-seat terror!

Then again...I got addicted to this movie and the fantastic Mila Jovovich who seems to be perfect for this role. Don't get me wrong, as a female, I actually like Ali Larter more (she plays a role in this movie too) but I think that Mila Jovovich is perfect for this role. The makers of this trilogy tried to cash in on three separate movies and I actually don't like this. Each party ended somehow with an "unfinished business" and I don't like open endings too much. From an action point of view, this movie is a first rate action blockbuster. But I still think Apocalypse perfectly ended the story and we didn't need the third movie or more. They should have stop by this one, after this movie the franchise went down hill.

Milla Jovovich is superhuman now so there's no real threat to her. Ali Larter does OK despite being Sarah Connor-esque. Oded Fehr does good also, but lacks much screen time. I like Linden Ashby in this movie he did a decent job acting his character, Ali Larter from Final Destination 1 and 2 is in this movie and she is very sexy and very hot. Oded Fehr and Mike Epps from the second movie both come back for the third ride but they both die in this film I do have that problem!

Another problem with the film I have is we see the same opening scene from the first movie just this time Alice is killed, I don't like a copy of that scene looking like Alice is dead in this movie!

This movie has a lot of problems that I really don't like, but there are things that I do like:

Russell Mulcahy has a good eye for visuals and it shows with how crisp the film looks. It is visually stunning at points and the editing is actually coherent. The zombie action and gore is amped up even more so and it delivers. The zombie bird sequence is actually a nice little spin on zombie attacks and it is the highlight of the movie despite some terrible CGI. Milla Jovovich is still the ass kicking Alice so nothing much else here aside from the usual fetishizing her being in towels. Oded Fehr's role gets cut short, but he's still good as Carlos. Ali Larter was OK, but she reminded me too much of Sarah Connor to take her seriously.

Even tough with all those problems this film is not that bad, is definitely not a bad movie, Alice saved survivors that Carlos and L.J. were driving together she saved them from zombie birds that they were attacking them.

Alice drives a motorcycle and she kicks ass the scavengers trying to kill and eat her awesome!

Overall: 8 out of 10 this film has a lot of problems the first two are still MILES way better than this one, but I will still take this movie over Afterlife and awful horrible Retribution!

Resident Evil: Extinction is a 2007 action horror film and the third installment in the Resident Evil film series based on the Capcom survival horror series Resident Evil.

8/10 Score: B- Studio: Constantin Film, Davis Films, Impact Pictures Starring: Milla Jovovich, Oded Fehr, Ali Larter, Iain Glen, Ashanti, Mike Epps, Spencer Locke, Linden Ashby, Jason O'Mara Director: Alexander Witt Producers: Paul W. S. Anderson, Jeremy Bolt, Don Carmody Screenplay by Paul W. S. Anderson Based on Resident Evil by Capcom Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hrs. 34 Mins. Budget: $45.000.000 Box Office: $147,717,833

The Best one out of the Five..

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
23 June 2016

Resident Evil: Extinction takes the story to the desert and in multiple locations. The film starts exactly like the first one Alice inside the bath tub naked putting the red dress but instead of trying to find the others she dies and we see that she was an actual clone of Alice one of the many actually. My favorite scene is when Alice burns all those crows and you see sky is on fire and she is on the center of all this that was an amazing scene. Also the final battle with Dr. Isaacs was amazing it takes place in the rooms of the original movie and i found that being amazing. There's also a whole army of Alice's they even made Mike Epps a much more interesting character everyone in this movie was great i enjoyed this more than the 1st and 2nd film and the cgi was much better looking in this one also. Resident Evil 3 gets an A+

Suitably apocalyptic

Author: James Wood from United Kingdom
12 May 2015

I think critics were unfair on this addition, my guess is that they just assumed it's another Resident Evil that will be like the others in their opinion. In actual fact, Extinction is far better than Apocalypse and more exciting than the first film because the story is better developed, the writing is solid and the characters are richly constructed, especially Claire Redfield's convoy who are essentially one big caring family trying to survive. The action is breathtaking too, Alice' powers really come to full effect, and the Las Vegas scene sets an uneasy atmosphere and the whole construction of that set is stunning. The infected crows scene is bloodily glorious, and when Alice uses her powers to deflect the flamethrower it looks incredible and shines bright, just like the Air-Brushing the editors used on Jovovich' face. This is the strongest in the franchise for story and character, and the balance between the two and action is brilliant.

Highly impressive sequel effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
17 April 2015

As the T-virus circles the globe, Alive joins a caravan of survivors trekking across the American landscape hoping for salvation against the never-ending hordes of undead and mutants on their trail.

Overall this is one of the better efforts for the franchise. One of the better parts here is the rather high-quantity action throughout here which gives this one an incredibly fast pace that makes this one really enjoyable. Some of the big action scenes, like the battle with the mutated dogs in the pit or a later scene in the underground complex are all about giving it some impressive gore while others figure to be more based on spectacle and action. This is mostly covered by the two big scenes in this which really give off plenty to like about it, the assault by the numerous birds on the bus campground and the battle with the zombies at the casino grounds which provide this one with plenty of dynamic and impressive actions as the spectacular image of the birds flying into and swarming the buses before being burned up by the flamethrower while later scenes of the horde of creatures battling in the sand-covered dunes of the casino grounds provides this with a large quantity of action and some decent gore. Likewise, the big mutant scores really well with a rather thrilling and ingenious battle that really makes for a fun battle as the back-and-forth nature of the brawl comes to an appropriate end, dealing nicely with the early scene of the creepy run-through of the house alone which results in one of the creepiest and most surprising twists at the end of this which gives it a rather creepy air to go along with those action scenes. That tends to be its good points and are more than enough to hold off the few flaws. The fact that the film really tends to feature a lot of rather useless scenes to pad time out and hammer home what we already know by in the series. We already know Alice is handy with guns and weaponry, so the tedious scene of her confronting the family in the desert trap makes no sense as to be included beyond the gore, and scenes of the facility testing the attempts to control the virus and mutations is nothing new that we haven't seen already as we know they're devious and underhanded. That's in addition to the rather obvious CGI which pops up here for the scenes of the creatures' appearing en-masse, the more extreme gore scenes and the more spectacular action scenes that are quite obvious in their execution. It's all that really holds this one down.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.

Resident Evil: Extinction

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
16 February 2015

A change of pace for the third film as we move outta urban settings and weapons/laboratory facility type settings for the open desert. Yep Resi Evil goes for the 'Mad Max' look complete with heavily armoured vehicles including the good old petrol tanker, you just can't go wrong with a tanker in your desert based fantasy flick.

The image of Alice being more of a elemental/supernatural type superhero is enforced more in this new film after we learned how badass she was in number two. A motley band of survivors once again are in deep doo doo being attacked by hundreds of ravenous crows (crows in the Mojave desert?), until Alice pops up and saves the day by scorching all the crows to a fiery death with the mind powers she learnt from Professor X.

The plot is just like all the other films, a small group of survivors in a different setting, getting taken down one by one, until only Alice and maybe two others remain for the next sequel (where those two normally get killed off early on). I quite liked the idea of Alice roaming the Southwestern US outback looking for supplies and survivors but stumbling across crazy killers that like to watch people get eaten by zombie dogs. You could totally see that happening in the US with all those religious nut jobs over there, real 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' type folk in the sticks over there.

On the subject of zombie dogs, why are they always rottweilers? what has happened to every other type of dog? is there some kind of special sale on zombie rottweilers?? cos they are everywhere!

Actually this film felt somewhat muted and not as action packed if you can believe that. Looking back over all of the films this one definitely has a slightly slower pace, less interesting characters and less action...apart from the usual mass of gunshots to zombie heads. On the other hand the visuals seem more realistic (deserts always seem to look good on film) and the zombies look good, grittier. The sequence where the main bad scientist guy tries to domesticate a captured zombie harks back to the classic 'Return of the Living Dead' zombie franchise (third film), nice touch.

Despite a more straight tone as it were, this film does suffer from not being quite the ballistic overdrive of action the rest are. It almost doesn't quite fit within the franchise really but I liked the fresh location. The whole film does feel a little bit of an anti climax though, the finale with the mutated creature sums that up pretty well, but as usual the setup for the next sequel intrigues.

Definitely Worth a Watch

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
7 December 2012

Having escaped from the Umbrella Corporation in the last picture, "Alice" (Milla Jovovich) is now on her own and is riding a motorcycle in the middle of a desert wasteland somewhere in the vicinity of Nevada. On a separate journey is "Carlos Olivera" (Oded Fehr) and "L.J." (Mike Epps) who have joined a caravan of survivors led by a person named "Claire" (Ali Larter). The problem that both Alice and the caravan face is that the zombie population has grown on such a large scale that the zombies now inhabit the entire planet. There doesn't seem to be any safe place and so the only solution is to keep on moving. Because of this, and the desolate desert environment, this movie probably captures an apocalyptic scenario better than its predecessor, "Resident Evil-Apocalypse". The action is fast-paced and the plot is a slight improvement over the last film. And while Milla Jovovich displays good acting abilities, the addition of attractive newcomers, Spencer Locke ("K-Mart"), Ashanti ("Betty") and the previously mentioned Ali Larter certainly doesn't hurt this film. All things considered then, I believe this film is slightly better than its predecessor and as good as the original ("Resident Evil"). Definitely worth a watch if you enjoy this series.

Action-packed fun

Author: greenhourfilms2
17 September 2012

The third installment of the resident evil franchise has exactly what any fan of the series would want: action

gun and knife wielding chicks

zombies

recognizable characters from the game

side boob shots

Some may criticize these films for their lack character development and bad acting but as I have said in previous reviews, that's not what the series is about. The Resident Evil films are about fun and mindless action except this one has a pretty good plot. The only major downside to this film is the lack of Jill Valentine.

Here it comes....

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
13 September 2012

After the second Resident Evil movie, I would figure a next one is up. Looks like the Umbrella Corporation is up to its old tricks again. This time thy are trying to make an army by using the undead to their advantage. But what do they use? Blood from Alice( Milla Jovovich) since she has immunity from the dreaded T-Virus that makes the dead be less than dead. Now there are some survivors from the last battle who are in a convoy trying to avoid not only the undead, but the Umbrella as well. When they meet Alice from the infected crow attack, they are more than ready to take down the Umbrella and the undead. When one of the Umbrella members tried to use Alice's blood to his advantage, his arrogance really showed. He wears Alice down temporary, he forgets her allies. Especially when he was in that lethal trap from the first Resident Evil movie. Saying that "I'm Invincible" is one thing, but in that room, you're just a cut up for laughs. I mean literally. Plenty of horror and gore to say the least, Milla puts the "A" in action. Enjoyed it very well. 2.5 out of 5 stars

4 out of 5 action rating

Author: Jeff (actionrating.com) from United States
24 July 2012

It's rare to find a sequel that puts an original to shame. So you can imagine that it would be almost impossible to find a fourth installment that is better than the first. Well the search is over. Not only does "Extinction" beat out the other Resident Evil's in scale of action, it edges them in overall quality as well...not that it matters. If you're watching a zombie movie based on a video game, you probably don't care how deep the plot is. In this installment, Alice continues her search for the mythical, virus-free "Arcadia." While flying her plane over a desolate, post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, she decides to land on the roof of a maximum security prison to come to the aid of some survivors. It's hard enough to escape from prison, but how do you pull it off when the prison is surrounded by a zombie army? Loading your shotgun shells with metal coins is a good first step. "Extinction" would fit nicely in a list of the Top 20 zombie movies of all. It would also not be out of place on a list of the top 3 video game films of all time.