IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Post-Apocalyptic fun

Author: BroadswordCallinDannyBoy from Boston, MA
11 October 2007

One thing that's for sure is that the "evil" of the title is becoming less and less "residential." This time around the nasty T-virus has spread all over the whole world and humanity is in grave danger. I guess that's where the "extinction" part comes in.

Once again we find ourselves not too long after the previous film left off. Humanity is in shambles and "Extinction" plays itself like a post-apocalyptic thriller, no pun intended. Alice is evading the evil Umbrella Corporation who needs to conclude some experiments but they can only do it with her blood and clones don't work. While wandering the desert Alice finds out she has mental powers, meets a group of survivors, and happens to be tracked by Umbrella all within what must be one hour. I guess it's not her lucky day. The audience however, providing you're fans of stylized carnage, is in for a little treat. "Extinction" not only provides a more interesting plot than the previous film, it also provides much better action and special effects. These effects feature zombies (naturally) but also demonic crows and a nasty mutation at the end. The action scenes are nicely done with somewhat unpredictable approach to who gets munched and who doesn't so tension is there throughout.

There are also many absurdities, but they can only be expected in a film like this. For instance, the film is set in a desolate world with supposedly little supplies yet the women look like they put on make up every morning and regularly get a manicure. The GOOD women that is. Alice meets some BAD people in the beginning and these people somehow haven't picked up any of those bathroom supplies and make up kits that are laying around. Those bad people are another thing, they appear in an early scene that demonstrates that Alice can fight and kick ass... seeing that this is the third movie in the series do they really need to make this point again? If they avoided it, then the climatic fight might have been longer and a bit more, you know, climatic. But I guess that wasn't the point of that fight since right after it we are set up for Resident Evil 4.

"Extinction" is enjoyable for what it is, but that's it. --- 6/10

Rated R for violence/gore and horror. Ages 13+

Completely worthless plot

Author: (mfmoore-1) from United States
22 May 2008

What made the resident evil series interesting is that it is the thinking man's zombie movie. It offered a typical sci-fi plot but it kept things based around certain rules, threw in some twists, and maintained at least reasonable premises.

This movie strays from having any remotely rational plot and feels no need to offer explanations when it does. As a result it is a huge disappointment if you slow up looking for anything more than hacking up zombies for 94 minutes.

(SPOILER ALERT) Here are just a few of the needlessly ridiculous premises you are asked to just accept without any further explanation...

1. T-virus has spread and essentially wiped out humanity. Surprisingly, this caused all plant life to die and the earth turned into a desert. Take that greenpeace!

2. Alice is now a jedi and can use the force to move rocks, bikes, and flaming gasoline at will.

3. Zombies are incapable of climbing the 8 foot chain link fence surrounding Umbrella headquarters, but can easily scale the Eifel Tower and with surprising stealth.

4. Olivera shoots a zombie which is clearly munching on LJ but thinks nothing of it. The entire group has apparently adopted a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding infection.

5. Zombies have been functioning without any actual need of food or water (according to doctors) and will continue to for, and I quote, "DECADES." No further explanation given.

6. Too much T-virus antidote turns you into an octopus.

7. After reading an incoherent diary in Utah, the group decides to drive to Alaska, but opts to gas up in....LAS VEGAS! (damn these Umbrella maps) Umbrella anticipates this move and has an ambush waiting at the exact casino they stop at.

8. Umbrella installed an on/off switch in Alice and cameras in her eyes but apparently did not find those things useful in tracking her the past 7 years or in confirming her identity when they spot her via satellite. Either that or Alice has no bars in rural Utah.

9. Umbrella is cloning Alice and finds the best way to extract her blood is through repeated unnecessary and exotic deaths. Unfortunately cloned blood isn't as 'magic' as regular blood and they only end up piling up Alice corpses in the back yard like lawn clippings.

10. Umbrella is developing a nation of domesticated zombies for use as Walmart photographers.

11. Umbrella is developing an army of extra angry zombies and goes to the trouble of putting them in matching uniforms.

12. In the event that society falls, mormon hillbillies will opt to lure innocent people into their lairs to feed their zombie dogs. Remember that then next time a missionary stops by your house.

13. Eating infected meat causes crows to get infected...but not really. It also causes them to go blind...but not really.

14. Zombies rule the earth and Umbrella is essentially trapped underground but the primary challenge the company is facing is the shortage of cheap labor.

15. Food, water and fuel are almost gone, humanity is vanished, zombies are everywhere but the primary challenge facing survivors is...Umbrella Corp.

one of the worst movies i've seen in the past year

Author: Asiagon215 from United States
22 September 2007

i'm just simply gonna list: the storyline was weak at best, no sub plots or twists, no clear path established, basically i didn't even see a "bad story" to be honest..; the characters were even worse, not to mention the horrendous acting by EVERYBODY, no char. development at all, and wtf is with the air brush on Alice's face..very cheap in production value, can't even Photoshop right; the special effects were terrible as well, again poor production value, continuity problems throughout, seem that they tried to rush the movie to theaters without really uh..thinking; the ending made no sense whatsoever, the regenerator got way too little screen time, really looked like they just try to pull something out of their asses to rip RE fan's of their hard earned dollars. they are really drifting off from the whole resident evil game...the zombies were completely off...not to mention to rip off of dawn AND day of the dead...and the beginning sequence, though the only cool and acceptable part in my opinion, did not have any meaning and therefore is completely unnecessary, i guess they had to fill up the 90 minutes since they've got nothing else...the directing is just...unmentionable...anyways, it was overall just a horrible movie, but it didn't disappoint me that much since i expected it to suck..but definitely not this much, i thought it would be better than the first two (which uh...), but i was very very wrong. I think I need to wash it out of my system with 3:10 to Yuma, or maybe eastern promises. i can't decide what is worse: the quality of this film, or the fact that they're making more.

Grotesquely boring

Author: keith96778 from Hawaii
23 September 2007

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) will hopefully extinguish any plans for a 4th installment. The thin plot is held together by banal dialogue and cookie cutter gore that has become standard fare at the box office. Overall, very unimpressive and unoriginal. It is just another zombie movie except is has nothing scary or exciting to mitigate its lack of anything else. And most of the audience will walk out like zombies after about 2 hours of mind-numbing twaddle culminating in one of the most ho-hum endings in the annals of cinematic history.

My recommendation: Avoid this grotesquely boring movie. It is really bad.

Well composed suspenseful action sci-fi flick

Author: driverscience from United States
30 September 2007

Being a male, I might be slightly prejudiced as Milla Jovovich definitely is entertaining to watch even on her own. But here goes my review: From beginning to end, this movie just really makes it as a hypnotically entertaining science fiction suspense/action film. Directing, acting, special effects, plot, all came together into a well executed cinematic creation. I was glued to the screen and even jumping out of my seat as surprises awaited every turn. I found no dull moments as each scene was entertaining in its own way. I would give this a higher rating, but found myself holding back because I generally do not like this genre of film. 8 would then be my highest rating for this genre. Glad I was talked into seeing it and would even sit through it again with pleasure.

Disappointing (spoiler)

Author: xtrmneightr17 from United States
27 September 2007

I went to the movies expecting an awesome movie. I am a huge Resident Evil fan and to tell the truth, this movie left me leaving the theaters shaking my head. The previous two movies were better than this movie.

It seems like everyone dies in this movie, of course the black guy has to die too...what's up with that. Carlos dies too... Lame, he couldn't have died some other way, he had to go and get bitten so he ends up just sacrificing himself.

Claire Redfield... Her role in the movie was nothing like the game (at least in the last movie you knew that Jill was with S.T.A.R.S.) you might as well name Claire Lucy Ricardo because her name was just a name. She had nothing to do with the games or anything; her role didn't mention anything about her looking for her brother Chris, or the fact that she even had a brother.

Claire acts like such a bad ass and she reminds me of Sarah Conner from Terminator 2. Claire, a leader of this group she organized? It also seems like she has had some military training or something by the way she acts and also the fact that she can fly a helicopter! There were no Lickers in this movie, c'mon, Lickers are so awesome! And what the hell happened to Jill Valentine? She was such a bad ass in the 2nd film and now? Poof! Doesn't exist! Never happened.

Leon? Omg! He wasn't even in the movie or mentioned.

And to just throw in Wesker!?!? What the hells with that? He's like the leader of Umbrella or something, but like I said about Claire, wesker seems just like another name or person. He has no back story or anything.

This movie totally blowed! A nd then Claire and the rest of the survivors must make it to Alaska because supposedly there is no infection there.

But what happens to Claire at the end of the movie? The movie just ends with all these open questions! Did they ever make it to Alaska? Was is true that there was no infection there? My god this movie made me upset.

What else, Clones!? Oh my goodness! Clones! Man! Alice has all these clones that are apparently going to go after umbrella at the end of the movie and shut them down.

It was ridiculous that the ending battle between Alice and the Tyrant ended the way it did. It ended with Alice's clone saving her! Man that was totally lame.

Also! Oh! I can't forget this, Alice, what is she? A mutant from X-men? She freaking had all these powers to generate force fields to protect herself.

My god I thought that was so lame when they showed a scene of her having a nightmare and he body starts generating all this power and then all these things around her start to levitate! Once I saw that, I felt like walking out of the theater.

This movie feels like it just went off in some totally different direction leaving me feeling like a little kid who just got his balloon popped by a big fat guy...

In other words, this movie was sad I am sorry to say.

Well, hopefully Resident Evil 5 for xbox 360 doesn't blow!

Highly Disappointed

Author: Havoc1310 from United States
25 September 2007

This film was a huge disappointment for both my friends and myself. First it completely departs from the game, they just throw in names from the game and no story line actually occurs. Second the continuity errors are so prevalent, the point in the movie where the rage zombies come out, the survivors killed like 30 of them and more were just spilling out, how many were stuffed in there plus they were able to climb and kill chase and a few survivors? When in the hell did zombies gain the abilitiy to climb? That was also a huge 'wtf'. Also, Alice and her "psychic abilities" is just silly and completely retarded. Now she can manipulate fire and levitate cars and rocks? What is this XMen? You can't get a bigger zombie genre fan other than myself and am a huge fan of the RE series, but this was just a giant letdown.

Sampling finally makes it way into a visual medium

Author: MarshallStax from Los Angeles, CA
23 September 2007

Transcript of a pitch meeting between Paul W. S. Anderson and Screen Gems studio suits. In the interest of not being sued, all dialog but Anderson's has been removed.

"So here's a pitch for a new movie I want to make. First off, it's set in a post-apocalyptic desert, like "The Road Warrior". Oh yeah, I loved that movie. I gotta use that tractor trailer rig with the fuel tank in it sometime. I always wanted that thing to explode at the end, instead of being filled with sand. I'll fix that in my movie!

Anyway, Sarah Connor, you know, from "T1" and "T2", leads a group of expendables around. Hey, remember when she said, at the end of the first one, "There's a storm coming"? I'll drop that line into my movie, just to show the fan-boys I like the same movies they do.

Hey, did you ever see "The Birds"? I did. Man, was that creepy! I got it! The rag tag fugitives are attacked by birds at some point! I'll figure out why later. Maybe they're robot birds or something…

Let's see… these survivors are looking for a safe refuge. How about some place far away from the desert, someplace isolated, so they're safe from the cyborgs. An island? No, that's too much like the remake of "Dawn of the Dead". And "Damnation Alley" had them going to, like New Jersey or something. Hmmm... how about Alaska? Yeah, that's it! They're going to Alaska.

Hey, did you ever see "Planet of the Apes"? Not the remake, but the original. I did, and that scene with the Statue of Liberty really stuck with me… hey, they're in Vegas! New York New York Casino has a statue like that! I'll do an homage!

So anyway, speaking of "Dawn of the Dead", I like zombie movies. I've done video game movies and horror movies and sequels and stuff, but not a straight up zombie movie. Did you ever see "Day of the Dead"? The one where the scientists are underground, trying to work on the zombies to see if they can cure them or control them? It was cool.

Speaking of movies I saw, did you ever see John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing"? Man, that was one batsh*t scary movie! I love that part where the floorboards are being torn up form underneath as some kind of monster comes after Kurt Russell… I could use that bit. Oh, and the creepy dark lab, where stuff runs past the camera in the foreground? Classic Carpenter bit. I'll borrow that, too.

Hey, did you ever see "Re-Animator" or "From Beyond"? Some good horror creatures in those films. I ought to introduce poor Johnny-come-lately horror fans to the monsters from those movies.

What do you mean, you don't want me to make this movie? Are you nuts? It's a sure fire thing!

"Resident Evil 3"? Yeah, I did the first two, but I'm done with those. I don't want to do that one. I want to make this big budget tribute movie to everything cool I ever saw growing up, the one I just told you about!

Hey, I think we may have a 'You've got your peanut butter in my chocolate' moment here, guys… but can I direct this one?

No? What do you mean, Russell Mulcahy! That guy may have done the original "Highlander", which was actually very cool, but he hasn't directed much of anything of note since then…

Fine, just pay me and I'll have a script for you in two days."

Right director for this installment!

Author: spahnrancher from United States
27 September 2007

Of all movies made of video game franchises, Resident Evil is by it's own right a fairly entertaining series of films. The games have always been a standout amongst others, so why shouldn't the film adaptations.

Extinction is by far the best of the three. Mulcahy was the right choice of director for this one. His atmospheric eye and fearless sense of close-ups take you for a 1 1/2 hour ride (that doesn't feel like you wasted your 8 bucks).

The attention to detail and finally plot that that resolutes, not to mention the film's tight editing make this an entertaining ride.

You finally care about why this event has happened, and most importantly you have characters who seem to care as well.

Not a perfect film, but reasonably close. Will there be a fourth installment? I am pretty sure we all know the answer to that.

Who will take the responsibility from here? That we must wait to see...

Nice try

Author: Ka'amtar Ish'kar from Klingon Empire
31 December 2007

OK...

The plot - which is "kinda" important if the movie is to succeed - of this movie, I must admit, is an utter failure. If you're a serious movie fan, don't bother to watch this. This movie has NO plot whatsoever; it's only made of pointless action scene and OMG zombies.

The parts of the plot (you know, stuff we learned from school - rising action, climax, resolution, etc - you get it) do exist, however, they are very, very poorly presented to say the least.

The turning points are there, say, the scene in which Carlos sacrifices himself. Is that supposed to be sad or something? It didn't do squat. It wasn't convincing enough that it was any important part of the plot. He just drives in and, boom, he dies. Wow, how very heart warming. Yeah, whatever.

Fine, the action scenes and graphics are good - but now it's just like watching god-darn flash animations, e.g. Madness series. If one wanted to see blood spilling everywhere and people dying pointlessly, just go watch the blasted flash clips you can find online for free.

What the heck.

I want 95 minutes of my life back.

Page 2 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]