IMDb > Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Entertaining

Author: sackjigler
21 September 2007

Im not sure what video gamers were expecting when this series was turned into film. Just like books, comic books, and whatever else, the source material will more often than not be different from the film. However, that is not always a bad thing. Take Jurassic Park for instance. The movie was phenomenal, but nothing like the book. Anyways, the reason i'm saying this is because I myself have played the games and have enjoyed the movies quite a bit. Sure, there not masterpieces by any means, but I think they are time well spent to escape reality for a couple of hours. I think Milla plays a great heroine in distress and a serious badas s. The character development in this is non existent. You get a little speech to bring you up to speed, but if you haven't seen these before, you will be lost in the film. (A friend that I had brought asked me how Claire Redfield knew how to fly a helicopter.) But you're not in this movie for the character development. You want to see zombies die and Milla kick butt, and that is what this film delivers. There are some great scenes here and some pretty fun kills, not a whole lot that you haven't seen before, but still entertaining. The movie goes pretty quick and has some very nice things to add. Alice's telekinesis was very cool to watch, and I can see why she didn't get to use it a lot. A lot of the special effects were much better here than they were in previous films, and that was a definite plus. The bad is that it ends for another to be made, and this is supposed to be the last. A lot of main players lose their lives, and that's fine, cause the movie doesn't give you time to care for them. Nope, the main focus here is Milla and she delivers the goods. Good fights, good kills, not much logic, pretty decent special effects, and the greatest pot smoking scene in history make this worth seeing in my opinion. If you liked the first two, you should enjoy this just the same. Personally, I don't think any of them have been too bad.

P.s. why did they keep airbrushing Milla's face, she is entirely too beautiful for that.

A lot better then i expected!

Author: otaku_miroku from United States
21 September 2007

After the second movie i was ready for this one to be cheap and boring... But this film totally proved me wrong. It contains The plot and suspense the first film had and the action the second film had. Perfect combo! The story is beyond amazing, Very creepy in a way yet totally awesome for the people in the theater watching it all play out. An apocalyptic world with few human survivors banding together, fighting, traveling etc. to try to find a place of safety from the infection and all the dangers that come with it. I'm guessing if your on this page you have read the plot so Anyways back to the review. The film was a pleasant surprise... though there was one setback, There wasn't much time for any info or background on important members of the convoy, all you know is they are there... Your not really given time to hear a little out each one and kind of get each one to have there own amount of screen time due to the lack of time the film was working with, I mean come on... Why not make it 2 hours and add a little more in? Anyways besides that i thought the movie was a blast to watch and i am definitely going back to the theater sometime this weekend to see it again...

Resident Evil: Jumping the Shark

Author: fasc from US of A
23 September 2007

The increasingly tired premise of a zombie-producing virus has been around for some years, having replaced the seductive living dead mystery of prior generations. I don't expect much of horror films, but I expect more than this. RE:E is just silly.

The cast is all here: evil corporation, out-of-control scientist, hapless minions who get locked in with the experiments gone wrong, multicultural gang of human fugitives strangely dressed in skimpy clothing and carrying military grade technology, etc. The story is advanced, but only in the direction of absurdity. Alice is still alive, but this time it would appear she's an android not only with superhuman agility and strength, but also with the ability to shut down satellites in space using her mind. She's always been one. And if that wasn't enough, she's also psychic--with the ability to generate force fields around herself and her friends. Most of the zombies look alike this time, strangely clothed in identical gray jumpsuits. You can now kill them by cutting their throats, shooting them in the abdomen, or dropping them off short buildings.

A few dozen overly loud bangs, crashes, and gunfights later and we get a showdown between Alice and the mutated evil doctor, carried out in a bad paste of unconnected rooms from previous films.

Close on a scene with the greedy corporate suits getting a holographic warning of their impending doom from a snippy Alice, and you have a film designed to sell wholly on the game's reputation and not because it's sincerely engaging, scary, or even interesting.

PS: here's an idea for a drinking game. Every time Milla Jovovich is on screen and her face has been digitally altered to look smoother than it actually is, that's a shot.

A Nutshell Review: Resident Evil: Extinction

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
5 October 2007

With Extinction, the Resident Evil franchise perhaps have made its mark as the most enduring computer game turned movie to date. Most of such movies usually make for cheesy lazy weekend entertainment, little in depth but filled with plenty of set action pieces, which for the most parts are nothing groundbreaking. But what this franchise has to credit for its longevity, is Milla Jovovich.

OK, so she has made mostly mediocre movies of late (I sense some fanboys will get me for this, but let me put it straight, I'm a fan of hers too), especially with the lacklustre Ultraviolet, and the really showy .45. If not best remembered for her role as Leeloo in Luc Besson's The Fifth Element (still credited in my books as the ONLY film I watched with having zero prior knowledge on anything about it), then it'll be for her role as Alice, the zombie butt kicking superbeing whose blood holds the key to a reversal of the effects of the T-virus engineered by the evil Umbrella Corporation.

The premise here is similar to that of 28 Days/Weeks Later, where the virus is now out of control, and mutates humans into flesh chomping zombies, spreading mayhem worldwide. Human survivors are few and far between, and where we left off from Apocalypse, Alice is now travelling the world alone, seeking refuge and peace, while evading Umbrella's gunsights. It presumably takes place a significant amount of time after the predecessor, given that Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory) doesn't return for this, keeping the doors open for either an unlikely spin off, or a revisit into the gap in timeline should Guillory sign on the dotted line.

But I guess as Juvovich fans, we don't really care, do we? So long as we get to see our heroine in action, we're satisfied, whether she's causing misery to her opponents from her twin handguns, double Kukri knives or just her incredibly toned limbs, we're rooting for her all the way, dressed in garb personally designed by Juvovich herself, which provides for both form and functionality. The trend of casting pretty women to pair with her continues, with the first movie having Michelle Rodriguez, the second with Guillory, and now, Heroes' Ali Larter and Spencer Locke join the fray. However, they are relegated to more pedestrian roles as compared to previous partners, so don't be expecting much from them, especially for fans of Larter.

The story can be no more simpler than Alice serving as a messiah for a small convoy of survivors headed by Larter's Claire, delivering them a message to journey to the promised land in Alaska. But of course the road to Peace and No Infection is plagued by challenges which culminates in a big battle in Las Vegas, where the trailers have teased with the entire city being semi-buried in sand. And like a video game, all levels will lead to their respective Big Boss to do battle with, and Extinction doesn't evade that formula too. Watching Alice grow in power, provides a lot of kick in some of the cool things she can do, enhanced with special effects of course.

Don't expect the franchise to slam the door of opportunity shut on itself. By the look of things, we might even see a fourth movie coming up in perhaps two or three years time (the interval between the movies thus far). Expect plenty of blood and gore as our heroes cut through ugly zombies like hot knife through butter, and none other does it more balletic and graceful than Milla Juvovich. You go, girl!

A BIG disappointment

Author: farms-1 from United States
23 September 2007

I don't see how anyone could compare RE: Extinction with the first two in this series. In addition to a lack of plot altogether, there are more holes in RE:3 than a golf course and more ripoffs of other movies than I've ever seen. The characters are so undeveloped that most shouldn't even have come equipped with names. Both Olivera and LJ, who were the two leading males in the 2nd movie, are without energy and lack inspiration. The vehicles were outright ripoffs from Road Warrior, especially in the desert setting. In fact, you really get the idea pretty quickly that this movie is set in a desert to save money, whereas the first two movies obviously were pretty expensive in the setting department. Umbrella's board of directors, who meet several times in the flick in an underground bunker, appear to be of the under thirty variety; perhaps they are the descendants of the former management. The bunker is a shameless ripoff of Day of the Dead. The zombie scenes are actually very limited, with few traditional up close yet slow battle scenes. Mostly the zombies in RE:3 jump out of closets with ferocious speed and bite somebody. There are running zombies in this movie, which do not fit the sequence at all.

In general, this was a very poor finale to a good series.

Deserving and Disturbing Sequel but NOT the Conclusion of a Trilogy

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
25 September 2007

We saw this at our local hometown theater, Movies on the Parkway in Sevierville, TN. I have to start this by saying that this installment is a bit reminiscent of George A. Romero's 1985 cult classic, "Day of the Dead," in one major plot element. I won't give it away, but if you're a Romero fan, you'll see it for yourself when you view this film.

This work is wholly entertaining, whether you are a fan of the games, or not. There are new elements, old friends, and a plethora of great innovations - some of which I've never seen present anywhere, and a few which were reminders of former masterpieces. I would name them, but to do that would spoil these innovations for those of you who have yet to experience them.

The acting, direction, and quality were above par, while the style was more that of the action flick with horror elements. The predecessors were horror movies with great action. The suspense, the intrigue, the atmosphere were all horror-oriented. This time, the horror elements were minimized and the action reigned. This is not a bad thing, fans. Without some change like this, the franchise will suffer franchise sickness! As it stands, there is no danger of that happening.

All in all? We were totally entertained, enjoyed our movie experience, and were blown away by the wrap-up. See it for yourself to understand what I mean.

It rates an 8.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Perfect Popcorn Movie

Author: lovadoll from Canada
20 September 2007

Oh my goodness i haven't reviewed a movie in so long on here but after seeing Resident Evil: Extinction and knowing fanboys are gonna give it a bad score i was compelled to completely gush about how completely awesome this third installment was. To recap my opinion i thought the first film was really cool some little thrills, some neat special effects, but Alice was just so cool, i fall in love with bad@$$ heroines like that character with the exception of Halle Berry's Catwoman for obvious reasons lol. The second film only furthered my adrenaline rush with Milla doing all kinds of crazy stunts and that film felt closer to the games also made nemesis look amazing thank god they didn't use CGI. The third movie takes place in the Nevada desert.. well for the most part anyways Alice and a core few of the survivors unfortunately not including Jill *cries* are scrounging the world trying to survive and find food, gas, supplies etc without being eaten by the massive army of zombies that surrounds pretty much the whole world. Milla is amazing once again but this time she takes the reigns from Sigorney Weaver because this time Alice is no sex symbol she's an angry woman on a nonstop rampage not afraid to kill and think twice. The action in this movie is so amazing the change of directors really helped get away from the choppy hand to hand fights in Apocalypse plus this is the director of Highlander here mister Russel Mulchy is no stranger to great action films. There's a lot more scares in this one and a lot more gore and grizzly murder creating entertaining mayhem on the big screen. I love truly epic films like Alfred Hitchcocks work, The Departed, and Requiem For A Dream but i go to the theater to be massively entertained by more than just my bucket of popcorn and Resident Evil: Extinction keeps your eyes on the screen.

At least it was a bargain theater with $2.50 tickets...

Author: hjgadol from United States
23 September 2007

This movie defines the term Epic Fail. If you are a fan of the games or zombie lore at all, you will walk away wondering how anybody let this travesty run amok so badly. While there were plenty of scares (cheap startles and loud noises), this movie fails to deliver on every other level.

****Possible Spoilers***

FOR THE GAMERS: Just because there is some guy with sunglasses and slicked hair, do not actually expect any actual representation of Wesker. Additionally, red-hair and a gun do not turn Ali Larter into Claire Redfield. These were simply manufactured (forced may be a better word) elements to keep the fans happy, but after doing such a great job with Jill, S.T.A.R.S, Nemesis and Carlos in RE2, this was pretty insulting. Also, wasn't RE about skill and willpower in the face of nightmarish odds and monsters? Meh...who needs shotguns when you can use your "magic" powers? I never minded Alice being super strong and such (it is the t-virus after all), but when did Invisible girl/Jean Grey fit in?

FOR THE ZOMBIE FANS: I don't even know where to begin. It would seem that slashing a zombies throat is just as good as shooting it in the head (and Alice is even carrying the finest chopping blade in history). The prop crew must have gotten a great deal om zombie masks in bulk, because most of the "Umbrella soldier zombies" are identical looking to me (and who thought putting them in uniforms made any sense at all). There is also a main character (LJ) who gets bitten, and despite battling zombies for the last few years, decides to conceal it from his allies. Can you guess what happens next? If you are looking for good combat against hordes of undead, you are not getting any here. The clichés are stale, and the tactics from the heroes are unimaginative. Despite shots that had throngs of the undead, most fights are against 2-3, not hundreds. As others have stated, this movie is a poor remake of "Day of the Dead" with better effects and Alice tossed in.

FOR THOSE WITH ANY STANDARDS IN ACTION MOVIES: Why is LJ still carrying that ridiculous GOLD desert eagle? Why, in a gun fighting movie, would they not have competent tactical advisors? Clearly, someone showed the stars of RE1&2 how to move and fight with a gun, but I guess that detail was deemed unimportant this time (even though I thought everyone except Carlos looked very...awkward in their scenes). Further more, and this is just me, the yellow Hummer2 from a NAIL SALON was the lamest and most pathetic product placement I have ever scene. Kinda ironic to use a such a trendy and gas guzzling truck in the back drop of a global warming message.

I could go on, but I think the point is made. I'll let you go see this movie yourself, so you can discover all the other atrocities that this movie commits on the unsuspecting viewer. It is a shame this movie was poorly done, because I really enjoyed the first two. It may have tried to achieve too much, and ended up falling short everywhere because of it.

It was nice to see Johnny Cage though...I guess Anderson threw him a pity role. I liked him in Mortal Kombat and Wyatt Earp.

Absolutely Horrid

Author: imlilsal from United States
22 September 2007

This movie disgraces the name of Resident Evil. In all honestly, all three movies disgrace the name of Resident Evil...But at least the first two were entertaining. The characters from the games barely make appearances compared to Alice (Whom they created for the movies. I feel that was a completely stupid idea.) Alice has some idiotic telekinesis powers in this movie. Why add magic tricks to a zombie franchise? They changed the storyline around, killing off key characters (such as Carlos) and turning it into an almost new story, basically turning the characters from the games into completely new people. They never mentioned what happened to Jill...or Leon or Chris or Rebecca Chambers for that matter. If you are going to see this movie because you are a hard core fan of the game since the mid nineties when resident evil first came out...(as I did), I recommend not going to see this. It will only upset you. I give this movie 2 instead of one star, because there were a few pretty good action scenes.

Again...what a horrible let down...

An Excellent Follow-Up

Author: clnkn16 from Dallas, Tx
21 September 2007

I am happy to say that Resident Evil: Extinction was a great entry into the franchise. Being a fan of the games since their original inception, I was very skeptical seeing the series turned into a movie, as the trend for video game movies is to be completely terrible. I didn't hate the first two movies, but I definitely left the theater disappointed. The first film tried to invent an original story line revolving around similar events which didn't work that well because it just felt like the connections to the game were tacked on. Apocalypse delivered on the fan service by adding characters Jill Valentine and Carlos Olivera, and tying in the movie to the third game in the series. And now with Extinction, Resident Evil has finally found a good balance. With characters from the games making appearances, nice comedic moments, and a gritty style of action I was not disappointed in the slightest bit. I also feel like with the third film in the series, it could finally open up into a more mainstream audience. The characters from the game give nice feelings of nostalgia for those that have been playing for a while, but their stories from the games are not necessary for any one coming to see this movie without any prior knowledge of the game series. My only two complaints with this film is that it doesn't over view the last two films (which doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would for any one who is just coming to see the movie without seeing the others. Although, it might spark their interest to check out one and two), and the film ends on a cliffhanger. With Milla Jovovich stating that the film is written as a trilogy, it makes me wonder whether or not there will be another entry. Overall I couldn't recommend this movie more for some one who is looking for an enjoyable time at the theatre.

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]