IMDb > P.S. I Love You (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
P.S. I Love You

P.S. I Love You More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A very relevant movie for me

Author: alan_oneill81 from Canada
30 December 2007

As a husband who has a wife battling for her life with recurrent ovarian cancer, this movie struck very close to home. We a both in our late 20's and I am facing the possibility of burying my wife far to young, so suffice to say we both went to the movie and had a hard time keeping the eyes dry. There is nothing worse then prospect or actuality of burying your lover and your friend. I know this movie got a lot of negative reviews but when you see your life mirrored on the big screen you can't help but be moved by her struggle to move on and his undying love for her. I see another reviewer said to keep the boyfriends/husbands home, these people obviously have not faced such tragic circumstances. Usually I'd be the first to tear apart a click flick, but this didn't feel as cliché as most and I liked how the ending wasn't as predictable as click flick movies usually are.

P.S. Move On

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
26 December 2007

In a poignant scene Gerald Butler's spirit of Gerry confesses to Hilary Swank's Holly, "I'm not asking you to remember me…" and to move on. Although being a little too long, Writer and Director Richard LaGravenese's "P.S. I Love You" is a whimsical and surprisingly touching romantic comedy about life continuing forward. Swank and LaGravenese have collaborated before on "Freedom Writers" as evidenced in the movie's comfortable and sturdy feel. Hilary Swank is great in this romantic comedy, an edgy departure for the actor. Swank thrives--she never forces the humor, completely natural. She embodies a humanity and spirit in Holly that makes her vulnerable and funny in the story's context. Gerald Bulter is boldly charming as Holly's late husband Gerry, the Irishman full of life and dreams. Swank and Butler have a wondrous chemistry that smooths out the rougher edges of LaGravenese and Steve Rogers screenplay based on the novel by Wendy Finerman.

Even with its over wrought indulgences, "P.S. I Love You" rewards the narrative payoff. Wisely on the part of LaGravenese and Rogers, the catharsis opts for the lyrical and realm of possibility. The performances are stellar. Academy Award Winner Kathy Bates is awesome as Holly's mother Patricia. Seeing fellow Oscar Winner Swank and Bates together is truly something special. There is a heartbreaking scene where Swank's Holly breaks down to her mother saying, "I'm alone!" Later Bates's Patrica says to her daughter, "…If you're all alone, we're all together with you in that, too." So even with its intentional quirks and cheesy trappings-- all is forgiven, because ultimately "P.S. I Love You" is about the courage to love again and live life.

As "P.S" opens Holly is furious that Gerry told her mother at dinner that they are not planning on having kids right now. Although accurate, Holly is still livid. Holly laments that she is waiting for her life to start. Gerry reminds, "We are in life…" Transparent to us: Gerry and Holly are soul mates—the great love of each other's life. Fast forward several months, Gerry has died of a brain tumor. After the wake, Holly discovers that Gerry has arranged for the delivery of his letters all making requests of Holly. Unable or perhaps unwilling to move on after her loss, this may not be the best thing for Holly. Or is it a way for Holly to discover life anew?

Much of the movie's charm derives from Holly's trip to Gerry's Irish homeland, and her loyal friends. Lisa Kudrow plays Denise, Holly's gal pal who is crassly determined to hunt down a single, straight, and employed man—a crusade seemingly more difficult than it seems. Kudrow is at her scattered and hysterical best. Hot and sexy Gina Gershon plays other gal pal Sharon. Gershon is deceivingly strong and smart with the apparently vapid Sharon, who really possesses a depth of character. In a surprising moment in what initially feels like a frivolously long fishing scene with all three women, reminds Holly that her friends are moving on with their lives. Holly's trip to Ireland is a beautiful interlude that represents an eloquent return to the traditional and solid. Here LaGravenese brilliantly orchestrates his story of love everlasting and regret. Hilary Swank amazingly balances the suffering and resolute spirit in Holly. She too is brilliant and absolutely beautiful. Her smile just lights up your soul, and her anguish strikes an emotional chord. Gerald Butler is at his charismatic best. Butler also expertly tempers his charm with a touching and gentle compassion.

"P.S. I Love You" is one of the best romantic comedies in a long while, that has a great love story. Richard LaGravenese tells a wistful and touching tale with amazing performances and chemistry by Hilary Swank and Gerald Butler. Take a chance on "P.S. I Love You".

Total tearjerker falsely billed as a romantic comedy

Author: segacs from Montreal, Canada
26 January 2008

I saw this movie on a girls-night-out to the movies, and we chose it on the basis of the previews, which had billed it as a romantic comedy. Wow, were they ever wrong! The basic plot is this: Woman loses husband far too early and tragically. Woman grieves for husband, hard. Husband, through a plan pre-arranged before his death, sends woman letters at set intervals, each one causing a fresh stream of tears to fall.

The acting was great. Hillary Swank was particularly good in her role, and let us see her vulnerability and conflicting emotions. The supporting cast was all excellent, and ladies, there is more than enough male eye candy in this movie to go around.

But - and I strongly warn all of you considering this as a light comedy or a date movie - it's sad. Very very sad. Even the happy parts are sad. If you go see this, wear waterproof mascara and bring lots of tissues. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Great Movie, Must See Romantic Comedy.

Author: AbadKitty from CA
26 December 2007

My most favorite romantic chick flick the last two years!! What makes this movie so great is if you have no expectation. Because of reviews and not thinking Hilary Swank could pull off romantic made this movie shine. She pulls it off and the movie is way better than the reviews. Tear Jerker! The shining happy moments are definitely the comedy relief Harry Connick Jr. brings. He is good in this movie... sexy... charming and hilarious. This movie has a great ending and just is so beautiful. I read half the book and wow, the movie makes the book look bad. The movie is better than the book!

Now I love seeing girly movies, mostly they have disappointed me or been just okay. This one was better than all the rest.

An overall enjoyable chick flick and good date movie

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
20 December 2007

(Synopsis) Holly (Hilary Swank) has been married nine years to a wild Irishman, Gerry Kennedy (Gerard Butler), and her one true love. Unfortunately for Holly, Gerry is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. Knowing he only has a short time to live; Gerry writes Holly a series of letters that will guide her through her grief. The first message arrives on Holly's 30th birthday. Gerry has sent her a birthday cake and a tape recording explaining the letters that she will be getting in the mail. Over the next year, Gerry wants Holly to follow the orders in his letters by going on new adventures and to celebrate life by finding herself. Holly's best friends, Denise (Lisa Kudrow) and Sharon (Gina Gershon), accompany her on her journey. Gerry always signs off each letter with "P.S. I Love You."

(My Comment) This is definitely a chick flick that will not only make you cry, but make you laugh, plus the women will fall in love with Gerard Butler. Gerard was excellent in his part and Hilary did a fine job as well. At first I didn't think Hilary could pull off the romantic comedy role, but in the end you get use to her doing it. Hilary actually makes you feel her pain and how devastated she was when her husband died. I guarantee you that you will tear up during several scenes. Overall it was an enjoyable chick flick that you can take a date. (Warner Bros. Pictures, Run Time 2:06, Rated PG-13) (7/10)

Loved PS I Love You!!!

Author: momdeafmd from United States
2 December 2007

I was lucky enough to get advance screening tickets to go see this movie. I loved it! It is very funny and very romantic. It stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler (that gorgeous hunk of man who starred in 300, if you haven't seen it--go rent it).

At the start of the movie, Holly (Hilary Swank) and Gerry Kennedy (Gerard Butler) are married and they are having a marital spat, which, trust me, is hilarious. Let's just say they end the fight with him doing a very funny striptease. In the next scene, we find that he has died. Holly is so bereaved she is unable to function but soon letters start arriving--from Gerry. He spaces the letters about a month apart and in each letter he teaches Holly how to get on with the business of living.

Her ensuing adventures with best friends, Lisa Kudrow and Lisa Gershon are hilarious. Along the way, she meets Harry Connick, Jr. and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who played Denny in Grey's Anatomy). The supporting cast is wonderful (especially the hilarious Lisa Kudrow). The movie is very funny, much more funny than sad. And Gerard Butler is quite terrific in it (and I am not just saying that because I am a fan). He is romantic, sexy, and just plain sweet. The striptease scene alone is worth the price of admission. I never laughed so hard.

Hilary Swank is very, very good. She and Gerry have really great chemistry. In the scenes they have together, you totally see how much in love they are with each other and why Holly is so bereaved when he dies. Although the movie does stray from the book at times, in my opinion it's an improvement. For example, Gerard Butler is not only in the first 10 minutes or so of the movie, but he is also in it quite a bit through flashbacks and such. Plus you get to hear him sing (which he has not done in a movie since "The Phantom of the Opera").

So if you get a chance this holiday season, go see this wonderful romantic, funny movie. You will love it! Amy V.

Helping Lost People Finding Where Their Hearts Are

Author: Cihan Sean Victorydawn Vercan (CihanVercan) from Ottawa, Canada
27 December 2008

People change in time, relationships change in time; Love doesn't. A man expresses his feelings of his love to his wife, through several shocking surprises after his death. This movie would tell why love is the only power that connects people, if no one could tell anymore what it really means. Gerry and Holly's relationship is a good example of how couples bring their love to the end quickly.

Leading actors Swank and Butler accomplished wholeheartedly acting jobs. A true success with Harry Connick Jr.'s role playing Holly's first flirt, but poor acting from Jeffrey Dean Morgan(whom we'll see him in "Watchmen" next year) playing as her second. As a novel adaptation, the screenplay is effectual. Some parts of the script is totally noticeable that hold our attention continuously. I liked the editing job very well after I've seen the deleted scenes from the special features of the DVD. The music score is so relaxing and emotional. Everybody keeps telling this film is a tearjerker, which I disagree; it's only because of the sensational existence of Hilary Swank. Her talented way of expressing psychological trauma just catches eyes, that's all.

There are 5 of my favorite scenes which I rewind each time I watch: 1*One of the greatest opening scenes for a romance of all time. In that scene just in 2 minutes, we get what type of personalities each character has. Lovers find a quarrel over a straw. They yell at each other, and Gerry leaves Holly getting out of the door. A minute passes or not, Holly comes back from bathroom and Gerry back from the door. Then they wildly lock in a close embrace after running towards to each other into the middle of the living room... 2*After the funeral of Gerry, at a time when Holly's longing of him hits the top, she can't help herself calling the home-phone from her cellphone just to listen to Gerry's voice from his answering machine record; while trying to sleep... 3*Holly's receiving of Gerry's first P.S.I Love You letter and his true guesses of what Holly is going to say in respond after his each time of gaffes... 4*Gerry's calling to memory of their first meeting in Ireland, from his words... 5*And best of all, my best favorite scene: Holly's return to karaoke stage singing "Love You Till The End" and imagining as if he is there forming a lonesome audience. This scene is the one I burst into tears. I don't remember myself crying because of a movie, or because of someone else's sadness ever; including the end of Dr.Zhivago or Love Story or The English Patient. Yet it just reminded me of a photo of my fiancée with whom we were parted away. In that photo she was standing on a step of an amphitheater watching my mockery of a stand-up show at the stage, forming the whole audience herself.

This is a therapeutic relationship movie. Watch it with your partner and you'll be able to see the missing, lacking or the incomplete part of your unity. Strongly recommended for couples who used to be in love before. Find out why love is eternal.

Awesome chick flick

Author: KaceFace000 from Alabama, United States
21 December 2007

I am so glad I went against the many negative reviews of this movie... because it was fantastic! It has stuck with me in the several hours since I've seen it. Claims that Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler have no chemistry just are not true- the characters are different, and they clash at times, but this shouldn't be misconstrued. One can definitely see the love they have for each other, though the ways they express it are very different. Never has a movie pushed me to the brink of tears so many times! Sure, in Titanic we all (or was it just me...?) cried when we realized Leo's character had died, but P.S. I Love You brings that feeling several times over. It is so relatable- how would we act if we were completely grief-stricken with nothing to comfort us? I love this movie- both my friend that saw it with me and myself fully intend on buying it on DVD when it is released. Highly recommended. Don't forget Kleenex! *Kudos to Kudrow who is freaking hilarious!*

P.S. I Love You...Till the End, worth every penny

Author: cajonchik from United States
15 December 2007

Okey ladies i went to see P.S. I Love You last night with a girl friend now that we are both back in the OC for winter break. I have to say this movie is all i hoped it would be and more. I sobbed for a whole 2 hours, not kidding. It was sad yet uplifting and made me really think about life.

I'm 19 and a freshman in college, i went to an all girl's catholic high school. So personally this movie really hit home, and made me think "What if i don't ever find my Gerry?" I mean I'm 19 and I've never been kissed or been on a date. It just got me thinking about the fact that life is short and i want to be happy. I want my Gerry (obviously he doesn't have too be this romantic) but someone to love me with their whole heart as Gerry loved Holly. It also gave me some hope, maybe there is a Gerry out there for everyone. My friend and i went to chili's for dinner after and i pretty much cried through dinner but like i said this movie really hit me.

It was absolutely perfect and even the scenes that our Gerry wasn't in, his presence could be seen and felt every step of the way. All i can say is that GB has moved me in a way i never thought possible with a movie. I think this one has actually changed my life for the better or at least pushed me in the right direction.

Even after seeing JDM nekkid bum i must say our man still wins my heart. His voice is so amazing, and many times that all there was in a scene, just his voice yet it had me busting out into tears every time. I am still letting this amazing experience sink in but all i can say is, if i ever could say one thing to our Gerry, it would be that, he has truly made me love my life and hope that the love of my life is out there somewhere.

Oh, and Gerry's singing is amazing too, as are all his witty remarks and comments.... i can still hear his voice in my head! Erinne P.S. I Love You.... Till The End

P.S. = Pleasant Surprise

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
20 March 2008

Generally speaking, I dislike the romantic American tearjerker dramas especially films like 'Titanic'. So i tend to avoid them. A few that I have liked include 'Far and Away' and 'The English Patient' (which was much more than the average movie of this genre). What interested me about 'P.S. I Love You' was the interesting ensemble cast. Now that I have watched the film, I must say that it came as a pleasant surprise.

I found it very fresh: the cast which brings together talents like Lisa Kudrow, Kathy Bates and Hilary Swank; the idea of shooting in Ireland was very refreshing and the beautiful locations were so wonderfully shot that it just makes one want to visit the beautiful country; the screenplay, yes it is flawed as there are a few corny moments and some of the situations are a little too convenient but most of the dialogues are great, the comedic undertone is mostly welcoming and not misplaced, the ending is different from what one would expect; the soundtrack which adds more life into the moments.

It's ironic that just the other day I watched 'Reign Over Me' which also dealt with 'grieving over' lost loved ones. Both films were totally different but it was interesting to see how the central character of both films deal, or more correctly, fail to cope with their losses in different ways. Both the writer and director LaGravenese put a lot of heart into 'P.S. I Love You' and the film is strengthened by the chemistry of the actors.

Both Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler are excellent. The chemistry between them is electric. Swank gracefully shows Holly's transition from the whiny but loving working wife to the lonely widow. In a flashback scenes we see her brilliantly pull off the naive teenager. It's no surprise that the woman can act. Butler is terrific as the charming, lively and funny Gerry but his grasp of the Irish accent is disastrous. Lisa Kudrow provides comic relief. The actress gives a natural performance with shades of her famous Phoebe Buffay character (which I didn't mind as I miss Phoebe) but I wish she was given more screen time. Even Gina Gershon springs a surprise with a decent performance. Kathy Bates's acting is beautifully restrained. Harry Connick Jr. too adds some comedy (which might not appeal to all).

'P.S. I Love You' makes for a good rainy day film. It might not appeal to all as there are a few fluffy corny moments but the film does make its point well and for me it was worth a watch.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]