IMDb > Lassie (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Beautiful and moving

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
15 February 2011

Lassie is just a wonderful movie. It has a sweet, engaging story, and everything works so well that you completely forget any areas that fall on the predictable side. Lassie's greatest strength is that it is never afraid to explore deeper and present some mature themes.

The film also looks beautiful. The photography is just marvellous and wonderfully evergreen, while I loved the scenery just as much as it was stunning and quite picturesque. The script is also a strength; it is a very poignant one that cleverly avoids falling into mawkish sentimentality and also balances subtle humour social tension adeptly.

The cast are just excellent. It also helps that the characters are well fleshed out and easy to relate to. Jonathan Mason brings the right amount of pathos to his character, while Peter O'Toole is a warm and charismatic presence and John Lynch, Peter Dinklage and Samantha Morton are also impressive. Lassie though makes the picture endearing, what a cute and talented dog and it makes it easier for the audience to sympathise with Lassie's predicament too.

All in all, a very beautiful and moving film. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Good movie, but should've stayed true to the book

Author: froglady99 from United States
23 November 2008

I've read the book Lassie Come-Home probably more times than I've read any other book, so I know the story well. I've also seen the original Lassie Come-Home movie several times, and it stayed pretty true to the book. This movie is good too, and I enjoyed watching it. The scenery is great, and the music is awesome. But I think it should've stayed closer to the original story. Some things were added, and others were left out. I think a lot of the things that were added fit, but others totally changed the story and kinda messed it up. I felt like Lassie's journey seemed way too short, and she didn't even meet half the people that she did in the book. It just didn't make the journey seem totally real. Also, Joe is way too young. The boy who played him was only 9 when the movie was made, and the Joe in the book was 12. The kid is cute, but I still think Roddy McDowall did a better job of playing Joe and looked about the right age.

If you enjoy animal movies and have never read the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy this movie. If you have read the book, you'll probably still enjoy it, but don't expect it to be real close to the book. If you want to watch a movie that stays true to the original story, watch Lassie Come-Home from 1943.

Lassie...and no Timmy! (and no well....)

Author: ArizWldcat from United States
10 September 2006

I cannot praise this wonderful film highly enough! There are so few movies these days that you can enjoy with your whole family. This may be a little slow for really young children, (perhaps under 6 would be too young), but my pre-teen and teenage girls loved it. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, and those of us who are Anglophiles will recognize a lot of British actors. Peter O'Toole, Samantah Morton,Peter Dinklage (I know...not British...but he does a great accent) and John Lynch head a stellar cast of well known (at least to me) faces. I have never read the original book, but I understand that this film is very faithful to it. The beautiful scenery of Scotland and York made me feel as if I were right there. I have always been a sucker for dog movies, and this one is one of the best I've ever seen. I should have brought my Kleenex! The children in the movie are very good as well; not too cutesy, just serious actors.

Great inspirational movie!

Author: jimreed from Upland, California
5 September 2006

Outstanding movie! Story well told.

If anyone in Europe has seen this film, do you know whether that was an Irish or Scottish blessing that the owner of the dog Toots said while his dog was dying. Something like "If life has blessings to spare, may God grant them to you now." Does anyone know the exact words? Thanks much. Highly recommend this movie to families. I had originally thought that the movie was based on the Timmy and Lassie series on television here in the USA. I was surprised because I didn't know the original story and I'm so glad that I took the time to see the film. The characters are played by excellent actors and the sound track is very inspirational as well.

As sentimental and beautiful as Lion King!

Author: mrs_owen88 from Norway
9 September 2006

What a movie! And What a dog! There are some brutal scenes, so I don't think kids under 8 should see this movie without an adult. It was very touching, and I was sobbing all the way throughout it. The acting was great. Especially Peter O'Toole as the Duke and Jonathan Mason as little Joe, amazed me. However, the dog totally steals the movie, just like it's supposed to. I think everybody can understand the pain Joe is going through when they have to sell Lassie. Even if you hate dogs, you will love this one! Yes, Lassie is a dog everyone will love, children as well as parents! It's a great movie for every family!

PS: If you're going to see this movie, don't forget tissues!

Lassie

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
19 September 2010

Lassie Come Home was a wonderful family film, and I was interested to see if this updated remake trying to draw in a new generation would be as good, from director Charles Sturridge (FairyTale: A True Story). Basically it follows pretty much the same storyline as the original 1943 film, miner's son Joe Carraclough (Jonathan Mason) has his best friend female Rough Collie dog Lassie (male dog Mason) to keep him happy. After Joe's father Sam (Sliding Doors' John Lynch) loses his job when the mines are decommissioned, so he and mother Sarah (Enduring Love's Samantha Morton) know they have to sell Lassie to The Duke of Rudling (Peter O'Toole) to get by. After escaping digging her way out, getting out of the truck over some sheep and jumping over the fence, the Duke's servant Hynes (Psychoville's Steve Pemberton) is getting more frustrated. Eventually the Duke is moving to the Highlands of Scotland for the holidays, but soon enough the brave dog makes her escape with the help of the Duke's granddaughter, and she is making her way all the way back to Yorkshire. Along the way Lassie faces a few challenges, including a near gunshot by a field owner, and two dogcatchers who hold her captive, getting the attention of a concerned woman, but don't worry, she gets out of the window and continues. She also meets dwarf tinker Rowlie (The Station Agent's Peter Dinklage) with his little Terrier dog Toots, and he is kind enough to provide her with some food, and she performs a little in his street show. Tragedy strikes for Rowlie when two nasty thieves, one being Buckle (Only Fools and Horses' Nicholas Lyndhurst), attack and Toots loses her life, but Lassie did save the life of her new friend. She continues down her own road to Yorkshire, and eventually reaches her village just in time for the Christmas period, and after collapsing in the snow, Joe finds her and tries to nurse Lassie back to health. Thankfully, she pulls through and the next thing you know before the end, the Duke deliberately denies her identity, fires Hynes, and gives Sam a job at the kennels, and Lassie has puppies. Also starring Hester Odgers as Cilla, Jemma Redgrave as Daisy, Gregor Fisher as Mapes, Trainspotting's Kelly Macdonald as Jeanie, Gandhi's Edward Fox as Hulton and Harry Potter's Robert Hardy as Judge Murray. This remake is certainly brighter, a little more colourful and an impressive cast of British (and one American) star, but the only problem is that Lassie isn't seen as much, so although I much prefer the original, this is an okay period adventure. Good!

Pace too slow, performances uneven

Author: texeakin from United States
1 January 2007

I was disappointed in the movie, based on the expectations set by some of the reviews. The pace was sloooowwww, the performance by the lead kid was poor, and the story was not engaging. Peter O'toole was awesome, most of the other adult performances were solid (the dwarf was great), and Lassie's performance looked too staged (director's fault). Cinematography was beautiful. I'm a bit surprised by the number of very positive comments for this film, especially from American kids. Today's kids generally want a much faster pace and more drama or comedy. Other than offering a story about a famous dog and beautiful cinematography, it seems to lack the elements which attract kids. There is a large and underserved market for wholesome kids' films, though.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]