IMDb > Lassie (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lassie

Lassie More at IMDbPro »

A wonderful film the whole family will enjoy

Author: c-v-mack from United Kingdom
24 December 2005

It is so refreshing to watch a family film that doesn't have to rely only on special effects to tell the story. This film is just how they used to make films with great acting, beautiful photography and of course a lovely story. It's full of emotion and soul and it's just a good all round film the whole family will enjoy. It's about a boy and his parents who fall on hard times and have to sell their beloved dog, which gets taken hundreds of miles away. But his love for his dog never falters and the dogs love for its owners makes it determined to escape and travel the vast distance to get home. We have watched a few blockbusters lately but this film deserves praise. It might have a lower budget, but it has something that we all deep down want out of a film.

Truly Moving Picture

Author: tollini from United States
25 August 2006

I saw this film on August 24th, 2006 in Indianapolis. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "…explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

Obviously this is an often-told tale about a boy and his beautiful and intelligent collie. But … this is an especially fine telling of that story and specifically of the loyalty and love that can happen between a boy and his dog.

The story is set in England prior to World War II. The boy, Joe, is from a working class family and the father loses his coal mining job when the coal peters out. Lassie catches the eye of a rich Duke played by Peter O'Toole and Joe's parents reluctantly sell Lassie to obtain much needed cash. This causes Joe to go into a deep sadness. But to make things worse for Joe and his parents, Lassie regularly escapes the Duke's dog handler and finds his way back to Joe. Over and over the dog is honorably returned to the Duke because a deal is a deal.

Finally the Duke goes off to his other home in Northern Scotland 500 miles away and takes Lassie with him. Lassie escapes again and the rest of the movie revolves around the impossible attempted journey back to Joe.

Lassie is obligated to steal the movie, but he doesn't quite do this. There are too many other interesting things going on. Peter O'Toole is a great curmudgeon with a slowly revealed heart of gold. The English countryside is gorgeous. And the rich class- poor class dichotomy is adroitly told.

Honor and integrity and human dignity are human traits that can be shown by anyone despite their age or sex or income or social status in life. That's a message worth communicating in a movie.

FYI – There is a Truly Moving Pictures web site where there is a listing of past Truly Moving Picture Award winners that are now either at the theater or available on video.

Where's Nantucket?

Author: Peter from United Kingdom
28 December 2005

OK so am I the only one who never realized Lassie was set firstly in 1939 and secondly in Yorkshire? I grew up believing in gingham tablecloths, dusty gold mines, skunks in prairies and dangerous rattle snakes all of which our furry heroine, pined at, climbed from, lifted to safety and made friends with, yes and all without being stung, bitten

or even pooped on. Well move aside Nantucket because the real bitch is back and Charles Sturridge has done Eric Knight's beautiful story proud.

The film looks beautiful, set very convincingly in the 1930s English depression. The sets, camera work and locations provide us a time that makes much more sense of a dog returning home to his young master than 1960's America. Lassie's impossible journey deals with issues of loyalty, generosity, determination and good old Britishness all of which must have been useful propaganda tools for a country heading into war in 1939. So that's why it was written back then, so why remake it now? Because, those same basic issues and emotions are just as useful to remind ourselves of now as then but unfortunately for us modern family films have become lost in a sea of CGI and comuterized, sickly nothingness that has no relevance to anything but thrill. Truthfully? It's just plain nice to sit with your family in a cinema, cry your heart out and remember what's important in life. (And it doesn't have to be 40 feet tall and eat bananas!)

The boy is wonderful as indeed is the dog(s). The support from Morton, Lynch, O Toole, Drinkage is perfectly judged and I defy you not to blub a dub during the emotional Christmas homecoming. This is a beautiful film, a joy to watch and a credit to its makers.

Go Lass go.....

Sentimental nonsense but still made me sniffle!

Author: cricketnut2006 from United Kingdom
22 December 2005

I haven't seen the Liz Taylor version but I'm guessing that this one is a bit grittier. There are some nasty scenes of cruelty to dogs, although you never actually see one getting hit (they wouldn't be allowed to, would they!) so don't take a child if they're exceptionally sensitive. There are some great supporting roles from legendary actors such as Peter O'Toole and Gregor Fisher (Rab C Nesbitt), with cameos from the likes of Robert Hardy, Edward Fox and Angela Thorne (To The Manner Born, Maggie Thatcher impersonator) and the kids are cute but not too saccharine. But the scene is definitely stolen by the dog. Just as it should be, and a Christmassy ending to boot. Great family entertainment for kids over eight.

A heartwarming, inspiring treat for children and adults alike

Author: hokum15 from United Kingdom
20 December 2005

Just watched this film today and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a family film so obviously don't expect an unpredictable ending (I mean the book is called 'Lassie Come Home' as we all know) but if you enjoy heartwarming, fun films for the sake of the fuzzy feeling to be gained from them (call me sentimental but I think that's reason enough!) then you're sure to love this adaptation of the well-known tale of an adorable rough collie and her journey back to her beloved working-class Yorkshire family, especially her best friend, the small boy named Joe.

If you aren't an animal lover this is certainly not for you, but if you have a soft spot for our furry friends you will definitely like it. If you have ever had a faithful dog as a pet it should touch you particularly - it celebrates the loyal nature of the canine and the fulfilling relationships humans can build with him. I think what is all the more attractive about the film is that Lassie's determination is so inspiring - she could just as easily be a human struggling against life's hardships.

The scenery and cinematography is homely, wild and beautiful, and the cast - Samantha Morton and John Lynch as Mr and Mrs Carraclough, Joe's hard working parents, and Peter O'Toole as the selfish Duke who persuades the scrimping family to give Lassie up, to name three - do a fantastic job.

If you are prone to crying at films then have the tissues at the ready (I went through a modest two, my boyfriend shed a few tears as well!) because the whole thing's a bit of an emotional, if unsurprising, roller-coaster! You find yourself rooting for the lovable pooch and will I think be more than satisfied with the very cute ending! Congratulations to everyone involved - this is a marvellous romp for the festive season and children especially will be enchanted by it (and probably start pestering parents for a collie pup of their own - sorry!).

Loved it

Author: kay_and_dan from United Kingdom
22 December 2005

Forget the over-hyped Chronicles of Narnia - this film has more character and soul than 100 CGI-pumped fantasy extravaganzas. Think Kes with a happy ending. Based on the 1942 novel by Eric Knight rather than the American TV series. Set at the outbreak of WW2 in a Yorkshire mining village, its the story of the social injustice, separation and ultimately reunion of boy and dog. There are no cheesy Lassie rescue scenes, no "What's that Lassie?", "woof woof", "Someone trapped down the well?", "woof woof", and little Joe Carraclough (played by Jonathan Mason) is heart-breakingly believable - a refreshing change from the annoying overacting of many child stars. Yes, I cried when he was forced to say goodbye to Lassie, and I will never forget the look on my 5-year-old son's face when Lassie eventually made it back from Scotland. Clever enough for a teenager/adult to enjoy, and enough comic turns and doggy scenes to entertain the very young. Bring your Kleenex...

Simply Wonderous

Author: Scoval71 from New York, NY
3 September 2006

Wonderous, wonderful, charming, excellent, sad and happy. I really enjoyed this movie. So will most people except for one moron on this review board. What a lovely movie--the direction, the acting--animal and human---the photography, all superb. A lovely story of a dog's courageous return to the family he loves. Set in the days before WWII, this version of Lassie, to me, is far superior than the 1994 version by a wide margin. Don't miss Lassie. The theater was packed where I went and that says a lot. Reviews for Lassie echo my sentiments. It is a truly heartwarming and tender story. Lovely film that tells a sad story with a happy ending. Great photography. I have nothing but praise.

A place for everything and everything in its place.

Author: Cinema_Fan from An English Shire.
30 August 2006

With its class divisions and social differences, the have not's and the I want mores, this is the story of Lassie the Rough Collie, originally bred for herding in the harsh Scottish climates, she, like her owners have become innocent victims of the times. Set in the beautiful Yorkshire valleys and lush green fields, as well as the ever - mesmerising Scottish Highlands, with true filming locations in England and Scotland, plus County Wicklow and the Grand Masonic Lodge, Dublin in Ireland and the Isle of Man. This is a visual splendour of the vast wilderness and the beautiful panoramic landscapes, that when set against the tiny figure of the star herself only projects her impossible plight. Cinematography is by one Howard Atherton, and being a member of the British Society of Cinematographers too, has us transfixed at the stunning lands and lakes that are Lassies barriers and wedges that divide heart from home.

Done with a gracious style of indifference and tender loving, Lassies adventure homeward bound is a story of human tragedies also, for the people that she stumbles upon, she brings course and effect, Lassie touches us all, her ever trusting, and weary, nature, she can become as close to you as only you wish to be close to her. With a cast of greats and new faces alike such as Peter O'Toole (1932 - ), as the sinister, cunning and malevolent Duke, with him are the likes of Scottish actor and comic Gregor Fisher, Jonathan Mason as young Joe, Peter Dinklage as the travelling Rowlie the street entertainer. We also see John Lynch as Joe's father along side Samantha Morton the wife and mother, and a bit part from the comedy actor Nicholas Lyndhurst, playing the evil Buckle, not forgetting the acting talents of Steve Pemberton, Robert Hardy and Edward Fox too. This all blends in extremely well too, set against the period sets, locations and costumes of the pre Second World War era. With the style of story telling, which was first written in 1943 by Eric Knight (1897 - 1943), that brings us to a state of trepidation, doubt and sorrow for our heroine, then at the right moment will have us adulated for her sheer guts and determination.

Lassie is a family movie, and for sentimentalists alike, with its theme of finding ones home and knowing where the heart really belongs, with its subplots of human soul searching that are parallel to Lassies plight too, this is a fine story, told in both wondrous countryside and stately homes to back streets.

This is a tale of knowing ones place in life, and wanting to be there, and the rewards of achievement when one reaches the end of the road.

Heartlands Truly Moving Picture Awards, USA, gave Lassie top accolade for its very moving emotional impact and to quote their philosophy for picking such movies, "Truly Moving Pictures are films that explore the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life". I'll second that, will you?

A beautiful story

Author: alr126 from United States
29 June 2006

I had to give this movie a 9, I have had dogs all my life and I have to say, I thought of each and every one of them while watching this film. It's a very sentimental film, boy has dog, money is tight due to the war, parents sell dog, dog goes on journey home. I checked spoiler in case this spoils the film for anyone. I highly recommend this movie for families, yes, the children will be on the edge of their seats, mom and dad may even shed a tear or two. Worth the time to see. I know I did! There is the standard bad guy, and various characters that are anti-lassie and pro-lassie, typical of older versions of this classic tale. Regardless, watch this movie, you will not be disappointed.

Safe babysitting movie for the kids.

Author: Mudley from United States
4 May 2006

Everybody likes Lassie. It's a very safe movie for the kids. No cursing. Very little and controlled, mostly off-camera, violence. It seemed a bit boring in the beginning and there was very little action throughout the movie. Peter Dinklage did a very nice job as the puppet master. Lassie was the real star and left us all daydreaming that we owned her. Music and photography was awesome. Even though action was tame, drama was not. The drama of the movie sneaked up on me and took hold during the final 20 minutes of the movie. I started with a little misty eyes and ended up with full scale, non-stop crying for the last 15 minutes. I was not alone. We shared what tissues we had. But, unlike Old Yeller, they were tears of happiness. It took a full hour after the movie for me to regain complete control. Guess I'm just a big softy for families and dogs.