IMDb > The Kingdom (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Kingdom

The Kingdom More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 30: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A First Rate Action Thriller

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
15 September 2016

Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Kingdom" (2007) is by far the best movie Peter Berg has ever made, and i saw all of them. This was definitely one of the best movies of 2007, saw it like 4-5 times now. Its pacing is incredible - the movie opening titles are worth the admission and the opening itself, but we are just getting worm there.

Basically "The Kingdom" is a procedural movie with some incredible action scenes in between, as well as ideas about today's war with terrorism and as one of the character puts it - "it will never end, w'll kill them all". The sound design of this movie is incredible and while some of the scenes might play as a bit to cheese, they always have what to show beyond it.

Overall, "The Kingdom" is definitely and excellent action thriller set in a very relevant place. Acting is superb by all involved, craftsmanship of the movie is first rate and its just a hell of a ride from start till finish. Great movie.

Grittiliy realistic Middle Eastern thriller

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
13 August 2016

I love a good thriller, especially a realistic one, so when I sat through THE KINGDOM I had a great time. This is a film set against the backdrop of political and civil unrest in the Middle East, in this case Saudi Arabia, and for most part it's a mature and intelligent exploration of the themes and issues affecting those who live there. The film is quite reminiscent of the BOURNE films, especially in the use of super-fast editing and shaky camera work, and while it's not quite up there with that wonderful trilogy, it's a strong film in its own right and one I'll definitely come back to. It's head and shoulders above competition like Tony Scott's SPY GAME.

When I first saw the cast members, I wasn't expecting much. Oscar winner Jamie Foxx is often lauded by critics but I just don't see a lot in him – he's so subtle that I sometimes think of him as wooden. Despite some sentimental scenes here, I just see him as a filled shirt. Chris Cooper is better as the sarcastic bomb expert, but Jennifer Garner doesn't have a lot to do either other than look tough and pretty. The shoehorned-in comic relief guy is also extremely irritating.

Then I realised that this film isn't about these American characters; they're just on scene to allow Western viewers a way 'in' to the film. In reality, the main character is Faris, played by Israeli newcomer Ashraf Barhom, and I'm delighted to say he's wonderful in this film: he gives a poignant, tough, deeply affecting performance of a man whose family and ideals are threatened by the violence of the modern world. I hope Barhom goes far and he certainly has a right to thanks to the strength of his performance here. Ali Suliman, in a supporting role, is also very good.

Elsewhere, the film's a mix of action thriller and CSI style investigation as the characters investigate the site of a massive bomb explosion and track down those responsible. The action sequences are top notch and edge of the seat material, and the opening bomb stuff is utterly thrilling as well as completely horrifying. The investigation, which could have been boring, is kept pacy and full of tension, with director Peter Berg showing a pleasing maturity in his style that wasn't present in the likes of VERY BAD THINGS and WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. Great choreography and cinematography also combine to make this a strong, real-life thriller that Hollywood should be proud of making.

Loved It!!!

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
29 July 2016

A team of U.S. government agents is sent to investigate the bombing of an American facility in the Middle East. The Kingdom is a 2007 action war film starring Jennifer Garner, Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper and Jason Bateman and honestly i was surprised by the performance of Bateman not your typical over the top comedian and Garner, Cooper and Foxx they were really really good. The chase scenes and action sequences are handled very good by director and also actor Peter Beg you also directed Lone Survivor another great film. If you can accept this film and not judge it as propaganda i think you will be fine also don't except action every 2 seconds the movie is very interesting on it's own way.

this is not true

Author: Ahmed Abdan from Saudi Arabia
10 July 2016

The film showed Saudi Arabia idly by and this is not true , and is Familiar with the real events knows that Saudi Arabia refused Intervention and he was able to protect foreigners have succeeded in To do so, and succeeded in driving AL-Qaida. I watched the movie and I'm hoping to be in conformity with the reality known in the media , but the film came at the whim of the director away from the facts, like swimming against the current. Filming was opaque colors and if we were on another planet , and this also change the facts, Valmtalaa knows that Saudi Arabia's climate much like some US states climate. I wished to stay amended .

Sickening headache!

Author: paragburman from India
7 June 2016

Don't care about the story line, nor cast. Its okay if the producers can't afford a decent professional camera and have to use a hand held camera, but its not so okay when the producers entrust the movie to an incompetent over smart director. Who in turn feels empowered enough to do the same by employing a cinematographer suffering from Parkinson's disease. Surely, it was a fine gesture and a good example for 'Equal opportunities for the Disabled', but sadly at the price of viewer's headache. If you are hardcore and are not easily physically inconvenienced with cockeyedness or gut wrenching headaches, this movie is a must for you. Do enjoy!!!

Solid Entertainment!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
18 September 2015

Peter Berg's 'The Kingdom' is an underrated film, that delivers Solid Entertainment! Its tense, nail-biting, edge-of-the-seat stuff, that left me in awe.

'The Kingdom' Synopsis: A team of U.S. government agents is sent to investigate the bombing of an American facility in the Middle East.

'The Kingdom' is about fighting terror within our society. Its about the Good battling the Bad. Matthew Michael Carnahan's Screenplay moves on a feverish pace & offers striking moments all through. The characters are strong & their journey together, is violent, poignant & ultimately satisfying. Berg's Direction is first-class. He has handled the film with precision. Cinematography & Editing offer sharpness, while the Action-Sequences (The Climax, especially) are mind-blowing! Danny Elfman's Score is appropriate.

Performance-Wise: Jamie Foxx is competent, as always. Jennifer Garner is hot & heroic, while Chris Cooper is fantastic. Jason Bateman provides the much needed relief in the intense proceedings & stands out. Ashraf Barhom is superb. A Fine Actor! Richard Jenkins & Jeremy Piven are simply terrific in brief, yet significant roles.

On the whole, 'The Kingdom' packs a punch! Strongly Recommended!

Plot is 'out there' a bit, but smart viewers will be rewarded..

Author: canuckteach from Canada
13 April 2015

I was intrigued by this movie when I caught it on NetFlix a few years ago (sadly, it's no longer available there). An elite FBI team (for some reason) lobbies for, and then is assigned, despite much opposition, to investigate a well-planned terrorist attack on an American compound in the 'Kingdom', presumably Saudi Arabia. Jamie Foxx and Chris Cooper are compelling (I will watch anything with Chris Cooper in it - awesome in supporting roles in 'Horse Whisperer, 'Sea Biscuit' and the Bourne entries, and magnificent in 'Breach'), as are the actors who play the Arab nationals who 'host' the FBI team.

There is much culture clash to be overcome when the FBI team arrives, toting Jennifer Garner as the mandated-by-cliché tough chick. A lot of conflict must be overcome if the team is to get to the bottom of the who and how causes of the attack, including restrictions on where the team may stray in their investigation, plus some conflict with the embittered American nationals who were the object of the attack.

A surprise abduction and attempted rescue climaxes this story, which will have your pulse racing, but, generally, I found the dialogue between Jamie Foxx's team and the Arab liaison staff, plus the growing bond of friendship, most compelling. You will have to put up with an (unnecessary) array of f-bombs, unless you catch a sanitized version of the film. 9/10

Above average agitprop thriller

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
17 July 2008

A fairly stock studio action thriller - no new characters, wide audience demographic represented, contemporary themes reflected and God Bless America.

This is a cut above though. Doesn't hang about. The plot is always hurtling forward, rather like the 150mph convoy in which the FBI unit is carted around Riyadh. The cast and the bleached out jiggycam in which they're captured is entirely standard too but I was pleased at how Berg handles the thawing of mistrust etc. between the principals as the whodunnit dovetails with danger.

The coda is a nastily affectation designed to be a self-deprecating equation of the good and bad guys but I found it a rather ugly Parthian shot. But in its other contrivances it's quite convincing and affecting. 7/10

A simple action movie dressed up as something more meaningful

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
2 April 2008

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

A terrifying Al Queaida attack ripples an American compound in Saudi Arabia and with such a mass loss of life, American involvement is only a footstep away. An FBI convoy, made up of Special Agents Ronald Fleury (Jamie Foxx), Grant Sykes (Chris Cooper) and Janet Mayes (Jennifer Garner) are sent over, despite opposition from certain chiefs. But on their arrival, they encounter poor co-operation and professionalism from the special agents over there. But everyone is cautious when the attack appears to be the work of the mysterious, elusive terrorist mastermind Abu Hamza.

With a villain who happens to share the name with a certain real life Al Queaida member with hooks for hands, this was always going to draw some funny looks with things the way they are at the moment. But any sensitive, intelligent debate on US foreign policy in the Middle East can be quickly tossed out the window, for The Kingdom is nothing more than a simple action film that cynically uses a current talking point to make it look more meaningful when it really isn't.

After a dreary first hour, featuring some truly stereotypical characters, Foxx the chirpy wise-cracking black agent, Cooper the dull introspective one and Garner the sassy tough chick, some nice action does pop up at the end. But this is a big disappointment all round, and everyone seems to agree with me. **

Reality on middle east

Author: shouvik_mcet from India
14 March 2008

A movie showing every possible details of how an terror plot is being equipped.A perfect presentation of reality.A great way to start on and a perfect finishing with a ecstatic background music.Hats off to peter berg and the actors like Jamie Fox & Colonel Faris Al Ghazi(Ashraf Barhom).

Its been a pleasure to watch a movie which deals perfectly with the ongoing terror plots in the Middle East.Jamie Fox did a great job to prove themselves eligible to get on with some clues which brought a lot of faith and reliability in Colonel Al Ghazi and they started working together on some unknown land.

The fighting sequence at the end of the movie was really full of suspense,for a while it blew off my mind.Crazy,excellent stuff.I appreciate it and request all to watch this movie.