IMDb > The Kingdom (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Kingdom

The Kingdom More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I really want to like it

Author: Jakob Olesen from Denmark
5 November 2007

When I really look forward to a movie I try to find out as little as possible about it so as not to be influenced by others. This being the case for this movie I went in with high hopes for excellent entertainment and I got it. A bomb goes of, dedicated FBI agents struggle with bureaucracy denying then access to the scene, cultures clash on the site, firefights break out on enormous scale. Everything a guy like me would want, and I left the theater feeling good. But then it started to dawn on me, this movie is racist like heck.

Arabs are divided into 2 groups terrorists who are absolutely brilliant (when not shooting at the 4 FBI guys, then they can't hit for sh*t) and incompetent morons. On the crime scene it seems the only thing an Arab investigator can come up with is beating up a cop, when that doesn't yield anything they seem stumped. Collecting evidence and questioning witnesses is not done (well only because our heroic FBI guys do it, and that under protests). We only get to see 1 intelligent Arab on the good side and just to be sure the intelligence doesn't spread he gets shot at the end of the movie (of course it seems fair that the terrorist finally hit something although it takes a boy to do it, and that with a gun that strangely locks when he tries to shoot our brave FBI heroes after wards).

And if anyone can tell me what Jennifer Garners character is doing in the movie, the only times she stood out was when it was pointed out she has breasts (which seems correct), she does a bunch of autopsies finding that a bomb was used (which we knew already), and she gets in a fight at the end of the movie (which she only wins when helped by a man).

In the end when Foxxs character tells us his desire to 'kill them all' I figured they had finally hit the limit for political incorrectness, but they seem to think the remark justified by having a small Arab boy saying he was going to kill all Americans. Way to promote bilateral hate!

So if you want to see an action movie go ahead it's OK (although you will have to wait more than 90 minutes for the action), but don't take anything else from the movie as the political message is horrible.

One of the worst movies that I have seen recently...

Author: josephjsantucci from United States
7 October 2007

The film leaves you with the message that the U.S. and terrorists are very similar in their acts against each other. Despite the fact that they aim to kill civilians and we aim to kill the perpetrators, the film makers still manage to create a juxtaposition of the two trying to depict their similarity. We aim to kill terrorist, they aim to kill women, children, whoever they can. It is not the same thing. Aside from the terrible message, the music in the film was awful. While Jamie Fox and Chris Cooper did a pretty good job, Jennifer Garner was average at best and Jason Bateman was definitely not the right choice for his comic relief role.

Waste of time to watch

Author: Filip
12 June 2008

Not only that the plot, action and outcome are completely unrealistic, the remarkable performance of Mr.Foxx could convince you, that he is playing a retarded janitor who by accident found himself in FBI overalls in Arabia, trying to pretend that he actually knows what he is doing. I understand that an American movie can never give you a balanced picture, but The Kingdom is on the borderline with propaganda. I was not entirely certain that the main idea behind the movie was to glorify or to justify US military actions, but it was definitely given more thought by the authors then the poor plot, and 10-arabs-per-american shootouts where the Americans don't even get a scratch. I was truly disgusted by the movie and regret paying for the cinema ticket.

Hollywood is brainwashing again…

Author: email-kia from Canada
1 March 2008

One more time Americans look good and beautiful and Arabs look ugly and vicious.

One more time only few Americans agents fight hundreds of Arabs and of course the "stupid and ugly Arabs" in the movie cannot even succeed with one single shot, but the American agents kill them all!!!

To make the movie politically correct:

* The first 3 minutes of the movie is a brief documentary about US - Saudi Arabia relationship.

* In the end of the movie a reminder about "we kill them = they kill us", just to show you that the movie is not taking any position and it is being objective.

* And not all Arabs are bad, there is one single Arab officer dying while helping the Americans (thank you for being so generous to Arabs)

No illustration, pictures or any kind of views of a normal and peaceful working Muslim families and how many million of them have died directly or indirectly by US military or US supported governments in the region; but extreme horrifying pictures of nice innocent working American families getting ambushed and slaughtered by Arabs.

One more propaganda movie.

Propaganda.

Author: flexdream from Edinburgh, United Kingdom
13 October 2007

A dreadful film. Admittedly I had to walk out bored senseless by the time of what I think must surely have been the last miserable shoot out in this film. It's a fascist take on the current political situation, portraying the US (exemplified by couples walking, a kid on a bike, softball etc) as innocent victims of evildoers. And the answer to these troubles is not diplomacy, understanding, tolerance, decency, justice, fairness, or any of that liberal crap. The answer is violence and aggression, and mavericks who will break the laws - the typical fascist vengeance wet dream. And again, the evil foreigners can't even hit a stationary vehicle with RPGs until it's been safely evacuated, when immediately it's hit. If this all sounds safely predictable, it mostly is, with a 'film by numbers' approach with stock characters - the joker, the feisty woman, the laconic old timer, and the kick ass break the rules maverick. The film does succeed with the character and portrayal of the Saudi police colonel, who does have some depth and interest. Apart from that, the only thing worth watching is some nice car crash stunts. Apparently there's something interesting said at the end, but I'd left the building by then.

A shaky camera doesn't make for a lack of story

Author: nkaronis1 from Sydney
6 October 2007

Another one of these films with the nauseating camera work that tries to be a substitute for an interesting plot. The "story" per se is the hollywod predictable concoction with the obligatory minimal "humanization" of the arabs to pass the discrimation test. Jennifer Garner was just the female quota of the film without a single shred of female behavior except for the silly emotional moments when confronted with images of death (she's supposed to be an elite FBI anti terrorism agent) Even the super talented Jamie Foxx is a disappointment just going through the motions. Been there done that... Pure Hollywood routine, they didn't even shoot some interesting images of the arab desert.

All the jerking and panning - audience walked out

Author: tenlime
29 November 2007

I just came back from the cinema and regretted going to this show. As it is, there were only about 15 people in the audience. One walked out after about 30 minutes, another walked out shortly after that. I nearly followed them out. The movie is filmed like an amateur home video - full of jerking and wild panning. I had to avoid watching the screen by staring at the seat in front of me and listen to the dialog to follow the story. And I was at the last but one row. Imagine how it would have been if the cinema is full and I am sitting somewhere nearer to the screen. I still have a splitting headache after coming home. I will be careful not to watch any movies by this director. I cannot understand how the jerking and panning adds to the storyline. If the storyline is good and the actors are A list, then there is really no need to do this sort of thing. This director should have his head examined to think that this is good directing.

I'm a Saudi and I dun think the movie is fare

Author: salsaif from Saudi Arabia
10 October 2007

the movie as a movie is good but to much shaky cam.

as a Saudi this movie is not fare for me, first of all, no one in the movie was a Saudi all of them were none Saudis.

no one in the movie knows the real Saudi Life you can check out some Saudi Pictures in the Flicker.com so you know how Saudi cities look. e.g.

SO COME ON PEOPLE...!!! dose these pictures looks anything like the movie ???????????????????

BTW, what's with the dun touch the bodies of Muslim we go to female doctors what's the different here ? we do that while we're alive what changed when we die it's all another big fake thing in this movie.

I dun know what to say really but Americans think they know everything but believe me you know nothing....

the movie is good as story, Drama, well acted but not in facts it was a big lie

People believe me this movie shows nothing of the true life of Saudi Arabia

Crap

Author: ctruth2 from United States
26 December 2007

I thought maybe I was being rash in my assessment (I stopped watching it during thefirst scene). The lead in history of the world in 2 minutes (from anedited western perspective), irritated me somewhat, but I persevered,But when I saw Fleury in a classroom/grade school setting, calmly"taking it easy" as the director displayed in juxtaposition, scenes of Americans dying and all hell breaking loose at the Saudi/American compound, when I watched Fleury calmly conduct a cell phone conversation with a ground zero victim, showing little or no emotion, and then casually continue a conversation with his student/son, all my suspicions were confirmed. I flipped it off. It appeared to me that someone was subtly (or maybe not so subtly) trying to justify or lend plausibility to President Moron's incredibly stupid conduct while being informed about the 9/11 crisis during his photo-op classroom visit, and if that was the case, I presumed the rest of the movie would be subtly propagandized as well.

After reading some of the comments here, I feel I was absolutely correct in not wasting my time. I have had my fill of such films.

One star is way too generous for this piece of crap.

No Thanks.

The Kingdom - A Movie for thought

Author: kbigboss2000 from India
11 July 2013

The Kingdom as the synopsis say is about a group of FBI investigators flying to Saudi Arabia to investigate a blast. The theme of the movie is aptly achieved by the director Peter Berg. Jamie Fox as Agent Fleury does his job as the leader of the group and shows his acting skills in this war/action/drama genre movie. The supporting actors Jennifer Garner , Chris Cooper and Jason Bateman are good too. This movie isn't for the faint hearted people , it's hardcore , jaw dropping climax scene will leave the viewers stunned. The background music is commendable , its perfectly synchronized with the ongoing action of events. The cinematography , though has it's faults as sometimes shaky cam sequences, the job is well done. The movie has underlying message of the unrest still lying between the middle eastern nations and the united states of America. Jihad is a very serious issue which the whole world is tackling at this very moment and even Peter Berg has done a worthy effort in showing the consequences and the counter consequences of it on the big screen. There are very few war movies made this good which aren't purely insane action , excessive , unnecessary bloodshed and blasts. This movie has drama, and actions , evenly spaced out, giving the viewers time to soak it in. Overall a good movie, worth a watch. I recommend it.