IMDb > The Kingdom (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Kingdom

The Kingdom More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 29: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Excellent

Author: pnixon18 from United States
29 October 2008

For anyone who has actually been to Saudi Arabia and lived in a compound such as we see in The Kingdom, some of what we see in the film is stunningly chilling. The authenticity of the set(s) was excellent. The depiction of the lack of cooperation was spot on.

The biggest issue I had was hand-held "action cam" - it's a real shame there are so few camera operators who can actually hold a camera anymore.

An oddity was flying from the US to Saudi Arabia on a 737.

Another was the contrived ending - the female is pulled in because she hears a baby crying, and this sets up for the "heroic" ending. And to have Jason Bateman's character left exposed in the hallway, that just didn't seem plausible. I expected them to get the hell out ASAP.

But I enjoyed this movie a great deal. I wish they'd included some coffee/tea scenes and some hubbly bubbly action, but oh well, maybe that's specific to Khobar.

It's a good movie

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
11 February 2008

The Kingdom is not a memorable movie but,at least,it is entertaining.First of all,let's see the negative points.Jamie Foxx is an excellent actor (he showed that on films like Ray and Any Given Sunday) but he was not appropriate for his role on this movie.I mean,he just does not totally fix on his character of a rebel guy with a lot of attitude.Also,some scenes were a little bit boring.On the positive sight we have the action scenes.There are not too much of them in this movie but they have a lot of impact and realism (specially,the one near the ending).Besides,the film brings some good messages.The Kingdom is not an excellent movie but it could keep me entertained,except for some scenes.

Great action, but the realistic violence became predictable

Author: WWu777 from United States
10 February 2008

I don't see why everyone is raving about this. It was lots of gory action, nothing more. There was no sense of glory or honor in this film. The action was mediocre and the ending very predictable. In the beginning, the film appeared realistic, but then it all went downhill when it became a typical "American team saves the day" type of movie where they just shoot all the bad guys so easily without getting hit.

Also, this film mispaints the rest of the world outside the US as a world where death, bombs and bullets constantly lurk around the corner. Nothing could be further from the truth. Many who've been to the Middle East say it's nothing like portrayed in US news and movies, some even felt SAFER there than in the US!

See http://www.happierabroad.com/ebook/Page32.htm See my site for more info on the real world outside the USA matrix and propaganda at http://www.happierabroad.com

Remember that the US media wants to scare you from leaving your country, to keep you working and consuming like a busybee robot, while living in fear. Check out my site, it just might change your life :) Thanks.

Gripping movie

Author: Beam Me Up from Alexandria, VA, USA
4 February 2008

This was a great movie about how an FBI team struggles to investigate a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia with a frustrating political climate. I'm one of those who's been long de-sensitized to horror movies or violent action movies, so they usually don't phase me. But this one can leave you felling uneasy because it's rather close to reality. Here in the real world, Saudi Arabia is ruled by a reactionary Islamic regime that is tied to a 7th century-style "culture of the desert." It has been a breeding ground for a variety of reasons for Islamic terrorists, including most of the 9/11 hijackers. It would not be out of the realm of possibility for people in the Saudi government, including the police, to harbor sympathies for the terrorists and a hatred of the modern world, just like in the movie.

Ah ... Americans ...

Author: kosmasp
27 January 2008

This movie has a lot going for it (not talking about the good looking cast, depending your liking, you'll choose between Jennifer and Jamie), but is spoiled by a few things that are just "too" American (or at least they feel a bit too much for some viewers, including myself) ... and it's not even that this movie is pro-American. You obviously have seen the movie, if not I remind you that I put the spoiler tag up!

Jamie and his crew "invade" another country to show them how it's done and although this is seen critically, at the end of the day, you can't but feel a bit annoyed that Americans seem to do almost everything better than others ... even when they're in a different country. As a movie that on the surface seems to criticize that point (especially the ending is showing that fact very clearly), it does make a lot of devious choices.

One thing is sure: The ending is really great and shows us a never ending story ...

Thrilling and interesting, if fairly illogical

Author: daniel charchuk
8 January 2008

So sue me, I enjoyed it. I thought the over-the-top action climax worked better than it should have, even if it's completely illogical in both a narrative or thematic sense. It's pretty exhilarating, even if it succumbs to way too many clichés. As expected, the one foreigner lead among the Hollywood stars gives the best performance, but none of the movie stars are really terrible, just not overly memorable. The direction and style is impressive, the story is fairly interesting, and the action feels pretty restrained until that shoot 'em up climax. It's not a great film, but it is a fairly exciting one, and it seems smarter than most of the action films we're getting these days.

Might have been interesting...

Author: plamya-1 from United States
30 December 2007

I never knew I didn't like action films until I saw this one. Well, I DID sleep through much that might have explained the plot to me - some expository scenes among those deleted made the plot a bit clearer, but although it was a GOOD plot, there was a lot about it that didn't make much sense if you were expecting to learn something about Saudi Arabia. I would say that the attempts at local color were actually the film's gratuitous parts, because the "dynamism" of the film was provided by likkety-split action with lots of shooting, dizzying camera angles, plenty of blood -- all to make you forget that an ostensibly complex cultural situation was giving way to the expectations of genre. I almost want to see it again just to see why the critics liked it.

involving thriller with crap semi-shake photography

Author: sheng_3 from San Diego, CA
26 December 2007

The Kingdom takes the tried and true method of front loading the plot and featuring a finale that is jam packed with action to end on a high note. However, unlike other films where the ending is meant to distract you from the previous boring hour, this film is tightly constructed and held my interest throughout. The weakest links are the annoying semi-shaky camera work and the miscasting of a TV-level actor (Jason Bateman) in a poorly written TV-level role. He is completely out of place with the film in every way possible. Initially, I disliked Jaime Foxx but, he has managed to break away from stereotypical black roles and become an accomplished actor.

Attention Peter Berg- You are a talented director with a real knack for creating action sequences. However, there is a big difference between an occasional hand held shot and an entire film done with TV-level shaky-cam. Please, I beg you, don't let your future material go the way of J.J. Abrams and all the other MTV-type untalented hacks who are slowly transferring the reason I don't watch TV into the reason I don't go to the theater!

Explosive Shot At Exploiting Terrorism

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
19 October 2012

A propaganda piece that uses children for emotional points in a kind of perverted Spielberg attempt at audience manipulation and is really nothing more than an action flick with a number of confusing gun battles and explosions.

The political points are just as perplexing as the battles and are nauseatingly nasty as they put viewers in a dazed state of jerky, moving, sweeping, swirling, bumpy camera movements that do nothing but crumble the fourth wall and leave the audience with motion sickness.

Nothing is here to foster any patriotic pulse or any statement on the already volatile setting of the Middle East. It is a cheap shot at the horrific experience of terrorism in the most lurid, cheap exploitation of suffering used for nothing more than to sell tickets to an involved public who is ready to cathartic-ally release pent up anger and willing to support our troops deployed in that part of the globe.

DRAMAMINE ALERT...this is one of the worst offenders of camera shaking to date and if you are sensitive to the rocking and rolling of screen images you may want to avoid illness by staying way away from this... and you won't be missing a thing.

Where was Arnie?

Author: mike finch from United Kingdom
5 May 2009

This movie started off o.k but just ended up like one of your typical clichéd all American hero, crash, bang, car chase, shoot, explosion, crash, bang, car chase, shoot and explosion type movies. It's just amazing how a lightly armed group of people can fire enough rounds to kill a whole pre-Glasnost Red Army with entire Warsaw Pact back up included. How many rounds do those magazines actually hold? Expected Arnold Schwarzenegger's John Matrix character from Commando to pop up at any moment. He possessed exactly the same FBI quality to dodge RPGs, the odd grenade, shrapnel, flying debris and automatic machine gun fire whilst being fired upon from a multitude of angles and firing positions from a larger group of assailants. Perhaps assailant is the wrong word because it seems these assailants couldn't hit a dead cows a*** with two banjo's tied together!