IMDb > The Possession (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Possession

The Possession More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Failed to distinguish itself

Author: view_and_review from California
6 July 2013

Ever since The Exorcist and later The Ring successfully made scary movies casting girls as the possessed- everyone wants to follow suit. I'll admit that children do enhance the creepy factor, but it's not an automatic. This movie did not deliver any significant suspense, thrills or horror. Besides making the exorcism Judaic, this movie had nothing new to bring to the possession type genre.

This was a run of the mill bland movie. There were the divorced parents, the naive and innocent younger daughter, the sassy more astute older daughter and mom's new boyfriend. Throw a cursed box into the mix and you have another vanilla demon movie. This movie could not break itself away from the pack--even the ending was cliché.

A nice semi Yiddish ,but some what artificial horror movie

Author: cynthiahost from United States
10 March 2013

For a change of pace,instead of the traditional ,old testament,Christian demon from hell ,picking on a little child, it's a miserable Jewish spirit ,who posses a box and makes trouble with any one who owns it, cause he or she wishes they were on earth suffering like you and me .They miss it,the hardships.The kind we earthlings would love to get out of .Natsha Callis,plays Em,the little smart a - type as well as a vegetarian fanatic.Wants to make all the students stop eating meat.Her older and wiser sister ,played by Madison Davenport,playing Hannah. Their mother and father are both Divorced.Clyde,played by Jeffery Dean Morgan.Stephanie,played by Kyra Sedwig,are both divorce.He works as a coach at a high school.She's going back to jewelry design home business.Dad has just moved to a new house.The girls visit him on weekends.The beginning of the film felt so plastic and artificial, may be cause it was slow?One day in a yard sale dad buys em an old wooden box,that has a curse and all hell,l breaks loose.This Yiddish spirit is trying to take over Em.She starts getting violent with her teacher.The box kills the teacher later on,the teacher played by Brenda Chrichlow.Daddy get desperate.He goes to professor McMannis ,played by Jay Brazeau, in which the professor helps him to discover the Jewish legends,we don't mean Al Jolson or Barbara Streisand.The dybbuk ,Jewish demon possession.This is when the film becomes partially Yiddish.so as hell breaks loose at the home.Em has already knocked Mommies boyfriends , played by Grant Show,teeth out and chase him away too.Daddy end up going to the Jewish section of town where everyone is running into their house cause of traditional sunset.He ends up hiring a son of a Rabbi,Tzadock ,played by MatisYahu,who helps get rid of the Jewish demon out of Em.near the end the special effects start to happen that tare similar to the exorcist.Instead of the bible ,I thinks it's the Talmud?What would of happen if this Jewish spirit was an atheist?Throwing a threatening fist at it would drive it out of the girl? Or sprinkling salt would scare the spirit out? By the middle it does get better .Fair horror movie.I rented it at Red box.03/11/13

It may not be all that new, but the premise is still very creepy

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
19 January 2013

The Possession possesses many similar qualities of great demonic possession films of the past, such as The Exorcist, as it focuses more on mood, atmosphere and character development than CGI and gore. The Jewish angle of the film was an interesting take, but just didn't work for me and kind have brought the effectiveness down a notch. The problem with the movie is that it doesn't do much to distinguish itself from other horror films of its kind, just follows them. That being said, the film offers several white-knuckle moments that will make you squirm in your seat and is well filmed and acted that it kind of makes up for its unoriginality.

The acting was all around solid, the characters were genuine and the story though overly familiar works in the beginning, creating some very creepy moments. Natasha Calis plays Em, a young girl who is dealing with the divorce of her parents and soon gets possessed by a mysterious entity from a box she got at a garage sale. She gives a chilling and captivating performance, even though it's too similar to Linda Blair's performance in The Exorcist. Natasha is the star of this movie and pretty much overshadows everyone else. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Kyra Sedgwick play Clyde and Stephanie, the typical parents trying to save their possessed daughter from destruction, but you mostly felt their pain and terror and were relatable, making their ordeal all the more harrowing. Madison Davenport was the spunky one of the group, she gave her most to the role, but there was not much to her part and reminded me of some reason of the older sister in Poltergeist.

Director, Ole Bornedal definitely has some knowledge about this genre and is a skilled director, but coming from the guy that directed the superior film Nightwatch, I expected more originality from him. He borrowed the right ingredients but did nothing fresh with them and in the end perishable. The film was too routine and much like countless other possession films, it suffers from the same flaws of standing out.

Overall, The Possession is a whole lot better than critics make it out to be and uses moths more effectively than the recent horror film Mama did. The movie is more creepy and disturbing than flat out scary, but I did jump once or twice. The performances and solid filming style drive this film horror film from being a complete waste of time. The fact that it's based on a true story makes it chillingly fascinating, even though there were some plot holes that never got filled. The film has an intriguing premise, but ended up falling back on horror clichés and unoriginality, which is its downfall. It kind of leaves the door wide open for a sequel and I wouldn't mind, because if The Haunting In Connecticut gets one than this one should too. Rental at best, a decent one at that.

A tiny bit scary but mainly everything you hate about horror movies

Author: edswimmerdude from United States
19 January 2013

I saw this movie the Saturday night it came out in theaters. I remember that night being sort of terrified, and for a while thought that was a really great scary movie. But now, looking back on it, and taking time to watch it again, I've completely changes my mind. The one compliment I'll give this movie is that it had a quite a chilling and unsettling atmosphere to it. That was the only thing that was good about it. I honestly can say that this movie was still trash. It has everything in it that causes people to hate horror movies. Stuff like this: A nice little kid gets an object. In this object is apparently someone or something living that only they can see and talk to and we are implied that this thing is evil and that the kid doesn't know. Then the kid starts developing a bad attitude either before or after he/she tells their parents about their little friend who tells them to do things. Then of course the kid gets worse and either the kid gets possessed or the evil thing tries to hurt the family either way it always feels like it's been used before. Sadly, I have to be honest with everyone and let you all no that this movie was an extreme case of all those creepy demon child clichés. Can't Hollywood just think a little bit about how horrible a movie is before they throw it in everyone's faces to make a couple bucks with some piece of trash that ultimately turns into nothing? Is it too much to ask movie makers and all those people to think it through before they waste peoples time again?!? INSULTING.

An underrated gem!

Author: moliverdoliver from United States
17 January 2013

So as not to waste your time, I will keep this short and sweet. This was a very well written movie and the acting was nothing short of spectacular.

There have been some harsh reviews but you cant compare this movie to others in the same genre. It is different all together in that it doesn't go for the shock factor or rely on gruesome, gory scenes. It has a plot that, although there are some holes, is very well developed.

The characters are likable and relatable and the dad in particular, had me rooting for him. Every aspect of this movie won me over. Do yourself a favor and at least give it a chance!

The Possession - no disappointments!

Author: Daniel Burton from Sweden
6 January 2013

Of 2012s horror movies I was looking forward to this and Sinister. Turned out that both'd be great!

The Possession is about a family where the parents just are going through a divorce. It's tough on the children of course but what's making it even worse is the presence of a anonymous box which the father purchased at a yard sale. It's not just an ordinary antique box, it's something more, something evil. Slowly things in the family are getting far worse than they would ever expect.

Immediately when I saw the trailer for Possession I thought it looked good, and yeah I was right. This movie isn't as cheap as many other horror movies. Solid acting, well-written and of course some really creepy scenes!

Really enjoyed it. Watched Possession while having a horror movie- maraton with a friend, and this one was the only who left me a bit frightened.

This one and Sinister is the best horror movies of 2012 in my opinion.

8/10 -Great.

Good but not scary, touching and well done

Author: nexus-37 from Finland
3 January 2013

I had no idea what this was all about. There were exorcist and such, it didn't matter.

What did matter; acting was truly good and so the directing. Script might have been bit better.. But "NOT WASTE OF TIME".

And effects.. They fits right in, not too much and not too little.

Actually this was really great for a horror movie 2012 I didn't just get any scares.

What I little got bored of was too lack of minutes, there might have been more.

And thats about it .. 8/10

Now This Is What I'm Talking About! Scary, But Clichéd!

Author: Tejas Nair from the Entertainment Capital of India
2 January 2013

This is one of a kind movie where the plot, direction, screenplay & music is STRAIGHTFORWARD!

The story is clichéd, but the scary scenes have got some matter in it unlike the ones the usual public like and love and rate good. I go with Roger Ebert when he says that this is one of the better remake or spin- off or inspiration of The Exorcist! True That!

Cast is good. For a moment, I thought the father was Clive Owen, but next moment I knew he was Javier Bardem! But turns out he is Jeffrey! :P All people had some good performance etched into them.

But I seriously think there were some loopholes which makes it too gaudy, dull and rusty. Unwanted sequences jammed this one which could have been easily edited to 100 minutes. There is a scene at the end where you know that it WILL HAPPEN, coz no horror movie goes without it!

Overall, a scary watch!

WATCH OUT FOR: the spooky soundtrack! Amazing!

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

Language: No | Sex: No | Violence: Yes | Nudity: No | Drugs: No

Nice movie

Author: Natasha1987 from Israel
9 October 2012

As Israeli who reads Hebrew I am a little bit disappointed since the Hebrew letters on the box were mirrored which made them difficult to read. I think the director should have consulted with someone that reads Hebrew before he made the movie to make sure he is doing the right thing. It's the same thing as trying to write in Chinese without knowing Chinese. I was very excited to hear about a movie that involves orthodox Jewish people, however if you can't make it right, either don't do it or ask Jewish people how to make it right. Moreover, I was expecting Matisyahu as previously Hebrew school student and actor in this movie to realize that something is wrong. Nevertheless, the concept was good. I think the movie was well-made and I enjoyed watching it.

I'm Shocked...I Liked It A lot!

Author: Taylor Wamaski (IrishJewFairyGirl) from MN, United States
28 September 2012

"The Possession" was not one of the most anticipated films of the year, nor is it going to get a million Oscar nominations. In fact, the idea of a young girl getting possessed by supernatural forces is far from new. "The Excorist", "the Excorism of Emily Rose", and "The Last Excorism" are only a few of the excorism films that have preceded this film. "The Excorist" is not only one of my favorite horror movies, its one of my favorite movies in general. No possession film has come close to this film, until now.

Now, don't fall for the "based on a true story" marketing tool. Both "the Excorist" and "the Excorism of Emily Rose" used this technique of marketing, as do other horror films such as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "American Psycho" and "Wrong Turn". Its a great tool but I'm relieved that film audiences are getting smarter and are not falling for it like they use to. I'm not one to say if excorisms/demonic possessions are true, but I know for a fact, this story is not true. Knowing this doesn't take the intensity and heart out of the film, instead it reinforces it in my mind. The film doesn't need the "based on a true story". For me, just the story with good character development and smart scares is all I need.

Pros of "the Possession"

*The acting: this is some of the best acting I've seen in a horror film in a while. While none of the performances are "Oscar gold", they contribute a lot to why I liked the film. I especially enjoyed the performances from Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Kyra Sedgwick (whom I'm not a fan of but enjoyed her here as the loving mother) and newcomer Natasha Calis. The father-daughter chemistry between Morgan and Calis really shined in a few scenes.

*The effects: for a low-budget horror, the effects were great and the filmmakers were very smart in their decisions. They weren't unique decisions but they were smart decisions.

*The plot: overall, the plot was great. It was very basic but thats what made it work. I love that the film took its time for the "possession" to happen and I love the interesting decision of the girl befriending the demon BEFORE she gets possessed. I also liked seeing a Jewish excorism rather than the clichéd Catholic one. True, the Unborn also had a Jewish possession, but this film really did its research and made smarter decisions.

Cons of "the Possession":

*Timing and pace: as much as I loved the movie, I felt it was too short and felt rushed at time, especially at the end. The first half really took its time to build up to Em's pending possession. By the second half, the film felt very rushed. The beginning was a great build up but then the ending was boom-boom-boom. I wanted the the film to slow down a little bit.

*The ending: I'm not going to give spoilers but I was not the most satisfied with the ending. Yes, I liked that it was different but I felt there was more they could've done with it.

In conclusion, this film is one of the better horror films I've seen in a while. Is it as good as "the Excorist"? Of course not. But its way better than a lot of other excorism films. The film really concentrated on the characters and thats what I liked. I felt for these characters and I found myself rooting for them. I was pleased I saw this and may even buy it on DVD. Is is perfect? No. But it was still well done!

8/10 stars