IMDb > "Mahô shôjo neko Taruto" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mahô shôjo neko Taruto" More at IMDbPro »

Cute,and Entertaining

Author: Timothy McKann (Wingzero4u@aol.com) from United States
15 March 2010

When I first saw this series in a box set at a convention,I have to decide if this would be perfect series for my collection. When I bought the set,it was cute.It really interesting,and it had a perfect storyline. It also had some good characters,and great music for the opening,and ending theme.My favorite characters in the show are:Anzuko,Gallette,Chiffon,and Taruto.But however,this series is a perfect series for young children,and families. And I also want to say this series is one of a kind.It also has the great voice talents of:Jessica Straus(famous for Atelier Iris 2 & 3),Melodee M. Spevack,Wendee Lee,and others.So if you want to see something good,then see this show.It's the best,and you will love it.

good teaching stories for the very young

Author: gjhong from Canada
9 January 2010

Taruto is a 12 episode DVD that I saw in the children's section of the local library. It tells the story of Taruto the magic cat and her human master Iori. Taruto's magic is unreliable and usually fails. Only Kakipi the flying squirrel has faith in her powers because she helped him in episode one.

I've seen the entire series and it might be a useful teaching story for very young kids. An adult would let them watch an episode and ask a few questions to test their comprehension at the end. Then they would take questions from the audience to help fill in the gaps in their understanding. Nothing very bad happens and there is often a lesson in each episode.

One thing that has to be noted is the depiction of cats in the story. Humans see cats as ordinary cats but the viewer sees them as doll-sized people with cat tails and cat ears dressed in human clothes. We can understand their cat language but not the humans in the story.

There are stand-alone episodes that let us get to know the main characters and there are story arc episodes that advance the plot of the lost princess story. Because the series is relatively short the story moves along at a good pace. Remember that the show is aimed at the very young and you should be satisfied even if you are an adult. The series finishes with a happy ending.

Bonus question: can you tell what the name Taruto is supposed to represent in English? Hint: her master Iori is aways making sweet treats like cakes and such.