IMDb > Everyone's Hero (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Everyone's Hero

Everyone's Hero More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

What's all the fuss? This is a fine movie.

Author: mbritt1216 from New York
26 September 2006

It's strange how people are reacting to this movie. I'm not sure what they're expecting. This is simply a fine, fun movie for the 4 to 10 year old set. I brought a group of kids with me that were in that age group and they all loved it. They were cheering at the end. As a parent I also found it quite enjoyable. It's no "Shrek" I suppose, but few movies are. This is just a fine animated film with a good plot, a good moral, and no bad language. Some reviewers are upset because some things don't make sense - like whether there could be lights on Wrigley field, or whether "Seabiscut" was around at the time this movie was supposed to take place? Please. Who cares? Certainly the kids don't. What more could you want in a fun animated flick for children? Take your kids to see it and enjoy.

Great Movie

Author: Greg Z from United States
15 September 2006

Great story. Makes you laugh often and makes you cry sometimes (well, maybe the most sentimental of us). Brings the warm feeling of old-days-baseball. I am not big fan of the game but still loved the mood of the picture. Nicely drawn characters. Was pleasantly surprised to see good computer-animation that is actually Not coming from Pixar. You recognize the actual actors behind the characters not only by voice but their look as well, which is always fun. Richard Kind is carbon copy of himself. I would change the title as it doesn't reflect main idea of the animation, but other than that excellent movie all around. Both of my children (5 and 8 years old), my wife and me loved it.

Good, clean, joyful fun for the whole family!

Author: patrick-bennett-1 from Texas, United States
23 September 2006

My wife and I took our 3-year-old to see it and all three of us enjoyed it very much. The animation was incredible...the story was very great and the awesome message that the movie gives is applicable in not only children's lives but it's something that we (adults) could adopt as our own "motto." I had no idea that Chris Reeve directed this movie until the end credits. I see now that he died while working on it. His wife and son did voices in it too. It certainly was refreshing to see a story like this after being bombarded by all these animated animal movies that seem to be a dime-a-dozen lately. I think we need more family shows of this caliber. I can't wait to see it again.

For Love Of The Game...

Author: Cel_Stacker from United States
15 September 2006

Yankee Irving (Jake T. Austin) was born to New York fans with a love of baseball. His hero, of course, is the iconic Babe Ruth(Brian Dennehy). His biggest problem is that he can't actually play. Things are still pretty cool for him, though, because his dad works at Yankee Stadium and, just about anytime he wants, Yankee can imagine himself batting in a major league game.

After what looks like his final game, Yankee finds an old baseball under a wrecked car. He takes it home and soon finds that it can speak only to him and be heard only by him. (Yes, it's a stretch, but hang on.} The ball, named Screwy (Rob Reiner) is as done with baseball as Yankee, having begun and ended his career on a foul. They both find that baseball is not done with them, however, when they discover that the Babe's legendary bat, Darlin' (Whoopi Goldberg), is missing and presumed stolen. Now with the World Series and Mr. Irving's job on the line, Yankee and Screwy begin a wild journey to Chicago to make things right again.

This movie, while it seems typical on the surface, is not. It's not just a sports movie, a buddy movie, or a road trip movie, but all those things, and a little more. Make no mistake, there is a target market. Baseball fans will definitely dig it. I'm not really a fan--I played in high school, and we never won. But baseball, while prominent to the plot, is one of the skins wrapped around the substance; at its heart is a story about the importance of family and persistence, making it a nice tribute to the Reeves. A few surprises abound, such as Yankee's exposure to a Negro Leauge team, who are front and center to teach the kid how to bat. Arguably, the best part of the film.

While the general flow of the script is pedestrian, the acting, presentation, and overall look are enough to hold the interest of most movie lovers. The characters have great, well, character, and that helps to put it over. Even William H. Macy's take on villainous Chicago pitcher Lefty MacGinnis is goofy enough to be lovable. At the bottom line, there's nothing wildly innovative, but there is an entertaining film. You'll have a good enough time, even if you hate baseball.

this was a good movie, some of you siskel and ebert wanna-be's need a real job

Author: mckracker from United States
13 February 2007

"I lost Interest at the talking baseball."? "It wasn't realistic"? If you went to an animated KID's movie expecting "Citezen Kane" You're loony.

I liked this movie, it was quite fun. Not everybody likes every film, but some of the reasoning here escapes me. Babe Ruth stuff was cool, the nod to the negro leagues was neat. The characters were interesting. I watched it on pay-per-view with about 7 kids who stayed up late to watch it, everyone had a good time. It seems that some people go to the movies mad at the world, and it's the film's fault they have a bad time.

A few funny moments in an otherwise disappointing movie

Author: jwrtjp from United States
28 December 2007

I should have walked out of the room when I realized the premise was that the 1932 New York Yankees were the hapless victims of a plot by the dastardly owner of the Chicago Cubs. When this movie was being made, Cubs fans were looking back at nearly a century of futility. The decision to go with that plot is the first sign that the creative minds behind this project lack sensible perspective. I am not a Cubs fan, but a much better movie (and message) would be about a Cubs fan trying to help his team in the face of tough odds.

The many glaring historical and factual errors in this movie also made it difficult to watch. Even my ten year old daughter noticed that, in one scene, home plate was oriented the wrong way. During a World Series game.

I am not going to go into the problems with the plot, the mixed messages given about the challenges children face and how they might overcome them, and bizarre perspective on risk--other reviewers have covered that. I will say that the characters of the parents were presented with less depth than found in the Sunday comics. And for some reason, the worst villains in the movie are redheads.

I laughed at some of the visual comedy. My son laughed at the snot jokes.

Fun AND Heartwarming for the WHOLE Family!

Author: unremarkable_me from United States
23 September 2006

My six year old niece and I saw Everyone's Hero today because it was the only kid's movie playing in our small town that we had not seen yet. I am so glad that we did see it.

A great story on the surface of a boy who sets out to help his hero, Babe Ruth, as well as his father. There was much more depth to the movie than most critics are giving it credit for.

There are lessons on bullying, (Yankee Irving, the main character is bullied) cheating, (The owner of the other team sets out to steal Babe's bat so his team can win the World Series) even racial and social acceptance. (Yankee gets help from band of hobos and a Negro League team)

There are no pop culture references, although a few historical inaccuracies,(like bobble-head Babe Ruth) but come on, the bat and ball talk for heaven's sake, so I think the inaccuracies are minor.

Although Everyone's Hero had a great message and was wonderful for families, I would not call it a Disney-material movie. It wasn't scary enough for that. (Be honest, who WASN'T terrified by the witch in Snow White, the whale in Pinocchio, or even the death of Bambi's mom?)

Go and see it and enjoy it for what it is. Great family fare.

Beautifully animated film is let down by a weak script

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
24 September 2006

The plot of this film concerns the son of a janitor at Yankee Stadium named Yankee Irving, who has to go off to rescue the stolen bat of Babe Ruth. The bat was stolen by a pitcher on the Chicago Cubs who would only be allowed to pitch if he retrieved the bat so the Babe wouldn't be able to hit in the World Series.

Its a weak story. The problem is that the story is trying very hard to have a point, that anyone can be a hero, that it loads itself up with clichés (For example the hobos with hearts of gold) and pat moments (there is no racism) that you never really fear for our hero or his quest. The plot completely falls apart at the end with a twist that is so dumb that it breaks believability (guess who hits a home run in the world series?). Its a disappointment.

The sad thing is that this film does have some pluses. William Macy's villain is absolutely vile. He's one of the great bad guys in years. You really do hate this guy. He's a fantastic antagonist for our hero and in a better film he would have been dynamite, instead he's wasted in a series of cheap gags who's punchlines are telegraphed way in advance. Yet its because he's the perfect evil force to Yankee Irving's hero that you continue to watch, just so you can see him get his just desserts.

The film also has a design that is beautiful to look at. Say what you will about the recent glut of computer animated films, this is possibly the most realistic of the lot. Its shot, for the most part like a live action film and it adds a nice dimension to the film. This is the first of the lot that really should have been made into 3D. I am in love with the idea of the train sequence in 3D.

Ultimately its a miss fire. Its a film with some good stuff and some bad stuff, that some how manages to trip itself up.

Wait for cable

Wholesome, simple and without pretension.

Author: stephenmeier47
17 November 2014

Art is often aimed at a "target audience", as we all know. The biggest surprise about this film is the negativity in some of these reviews, as if an animated film has to contain veiled references to adult themes to be relevant or valuable. I assert the contrary. This film is clearly aimed at small children, not their parents, and contains nothing objectionable or controversial. The pacing and the moral are both rooted in the history of classic American films. If the goal is to provide 90 minutes of harmless diversion without offending anyone and teaching kids a little bit about baseball, America, and the values of honesty and perseverance, then this film managed at least a three-bagger. Let the kids have this one, you won't regret it.

I'm a Cubs fan, so what am I supposed to say? ;)

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 September 2007

OK, I know it was a kid's movie, but couldn't they have picked another team to be the villains of the movie? LOL, OK, but other than that I watched Everyone's Hero last night, wasn't too sure what it was about before I watched it, and I checked out the rating on IMDb, 5.4 isn't that good for an animated film that usually gets 6.0 or above. But I can understand why, Everyone's Hero didn't really blow me away or got me excited. I'm not basing this on the fact that I'm a Cubs fan, just the story was alright, it's perfect for a kid's movie, it's just a good clean cut story, but for adults, it doesn't really give anything for them to enjoy it with their kids. But while this movie was probably aimed for the kids, it seemed like the writer was maybe expecting like another Shrek or The Incredables, where the whole family could enjoy it, but it ended up being just a kid's flick.

Yankee Irving is a young boy who isn't that good at baseball, but he has big dreams to play as a New York Yankee. It's 1932, his hero is Babe Ruth, and Babe Ruth has a lucky bat, Darlin', but Darlin' is taken by the Cub's pitcher, Lefty, to win the World Series. Yankee's dad is fired from Yankee Stadium, he's the janitor, so it was his job to make sure that everything was secure. Yankee finds a ball that can talk to only him; together they go to look for the bat, they find it, but want to take it to Chicago to give it to Babe Ruth himself. But Yankee has to make sure to keep it away from Lefty and the Cubs manager.

Everyone's Hero isn't a bad movie by any means, it's just a kid's movie, I guess I was expecting more. Not to mention the Cubs bashing was hurtful, sorry, I'm from Chicago, if you're a Cubs fan, you can definitely relate on this subject, you must be faithful to them, LOL. OK, back to the movie, the movie is cute and has a charming story, but it wasn't anything that stood out for me. I could understand the 5.4 rating, I'm sorry to the writers and cast, but Everyone's Hero is just a kid's movie, nothing more.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]