IMDb > The Women (2008/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Women

The Women More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

funnier than the original but not as good

Author: filmbuff1000000 from United States
22 June 2009

personally i think movie makers are afraid everyone will forget the movies that were made in the past so they bring them back to the bring screen and change a lot of things. I think Hollywood should only remake a movie that got really bad reviews and has the potential to be something better. If we keep seeing all these remakes then the actors that starred in the original movies can't look back and say "that movie was the best movie i ever did and i was proud to be apart of it". Instead they're gonna look back and think "i'm so glad i got to star in the original" and "why did they have to remake such great classic". Anyway i thought this version of The Women was very funny. The best scene in the whole movie was when debbra messing's character gives birth.That scream she did was so funny.

A Pleasant Two Hours; Nowhere Near As Bad As Critics Have Said

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
21 September 2008

"The Women" has received terrible reviews, possibly because it dares to attempt to recreate a beloved Hollywood classic from the Golden Age. I went to see it mostly out of curiosity. I had a good enough time. I did laugh, and I did cry. I probably won't ever watch it again, but it really wasn't the poke in the eye with a sharp stick that reviewers have been making it out to be.

Annette Benning steals the film with a heartfelt, fully realized performance as an ambitious magazine editor. Meg Ryan is as cute as ever, and all the catty comments about age not being kind to her have been made by jealous people. Candice Bergen is not on screen long, but she is meltingly warm and lovely. Carrie Fisher was tragically uninteresting and almost unrecognizable in a cameo role. Time for an intervention? What I liked most about the movie was Diane English's script. It was really a script that was trying to do something, unlike most Hollywood scripts today. In spots, it was witty, intelligent, and worth listening for and to. There were misses, but more hits than misses.

Yes, yes, yes, all the women are beautiful and rich, and not representational of all the women on the planet. Yes, they all wear spike heels and get manicures. Cry me a river. This isn't Bertolt Brecht's "Mother Courage," and if that is what you expected, more fool you.

"The Women" could have used better direction and, no, it isn't as good as the classic on which it was based. But it's a pleasant two hours at the cinema.

It's good!!

Author: from United Kingdom
19 September 2008

I find it hard to agree with the other reviews here. I enjoyed this film. I think Meg Ryan's acting is no where near her best, but Annette Bening's performance is truly outstanding. I believe she is one of the best actors around at the moment. The movie deserves praise simply because of her performance. I also think the writing is extremely good. And contrary to what many newspaper reviews say, there are some good lines in this movie, and more than a few laughs. The movie is well structured as well. The two hours run time flew by for me. That's all I have to say. See it, don't believe what others write here, trust me. I think it far better than the recent Sex in the City movie.

L'Amour, L'Amour

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
19 September 2008

Any way this film could have been done, it would have been tricky to update Clare Boothe Luce's play about a set of Republican society matrons from the late Thirties. I suppose that given the changing mores it was done the best way it could be. Probably had a period picture been done of The Women it would have really unfairly compared all the contemporary actresses to Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, and Rosalind Russell.

Stepping into the parts those screen legends played are Meg Ryan, Eva Mendes and Annette Bening. Ryan is the same loving wife and mother who makes the mistake of taking husband for granted and he becomes pray for Mendes. Proving every bit the mantrap that Crawford is Eva Mendes. That part of the story is still the same, the shop girl interloper among the society dames.

But these women have grown with the times. They've even got a lesbian friend in the person of Jada Pinkett Smith. If there were lesbians back in the day and I'm sure Clare Boothe Luce knew a few from the theater, it was something not discussed in polite society. One of their watering holes in this version of The Women is a lesbian bar and they all seem quite comfortable there. I'm betting also they're not registered Republicans even the Upper East Side Silk Stocking variety.

Who would ever dream that Bette Midler would be cast in a role that Mary Boland originated. But I liked Ms. M a whole lot in the part of the free wheeling countess who befriends Ryan at the health spa. She's a theatrical agent nicknamed 'the Countess' whereas Boland was a countess via one of her many ex-husbands. Still they both are victim to L'Amour, but Bette is more brutally frank about it.

The biggest change is the part of Sylvia Fowler the gossipy fish wife that Ryan has for a friend. Annette Bening even with the part rewritten to accommodate a kinder and gentler Sylvia, can no way match Rosalind Russell in the film that made her a comedy star. With all deference to Ms. Bening, Rosalind Russell is a favorite of mine among the leading ladies of the classic cinema, I'm prejudiced where she's concerned.

I wasn't also crazy about the matter of fact way The Women deal with Mendes, she doesn't quite get the come uppance Crawford gets in the original.

Still this version of The Women has nothing to apologize for. In fact it's curious that Clare Boothe Luce has for years been held up as the conservative's model for feminism. Within her circle she probably was, but I don't think she'd like this version of her classic.

Which is a good reason to see it.

Do we really need a movie about nothing but women in 2008?

Author: xray9 from Asheville, NC USA
13 September 2008

I tried to like this movie. I really, really did, because I love Annette Bening and Meg Ryan. I'm sorry to have to dis this film, but this is 2008 and you can't make a film with an all female cast, about women, for women, by women and expect it to be interesting and engaging. There just needs to be some testosterone in there somewhere.

I saw this last night with my wife and she kept apologizing to me throughout the movie for suggesting we see it. BTW, I was the ONLY guy in the theater. She owes me BIG time.

There are several problems here. First of all, poor script. It tried to be funny, but missed the mark with me. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I didn't hear my wife laughing all that much either. We both have great senses of humor too. Second, somebody better pay the makeup person better. I've never seen Annette Bening, Meg Ryan or Cloris Leachman look so.....worn and ragged...and old. Call me old fashioned, but I like to see people look better on screen than off. I suspect the director wanted to portray women as "real" looking. They're real alright - real OLD looking!

My third problem was with the age difference between Meg Ryan and Annette Bening. They're supposed to be best friends in the movie, but I swear, Annette Bening looked like Meg's mother which was very distracting.

Finally, by opting to have no male actors here, all the cool interplay there could have been between the sexes was eliminated. There was no contrast for the actors to latch onto. It soon became...boring.

I love good "chic flicks". Steel Magnolia's is one of my faves. But this movie is poorly done. See it at your own risk. If you're a guy, I feel for you man. You may need some therapy afterwards.

Don't waste your money

Author: msmaxi from United States
17 September 2008

Lame story and acting. It really should have been called "Postmenopausal Women". If this was a comedy I must have missed something. It was more of a drama because I could cry thinking about how much I spent on this garbage. If it wasn't for the caffeine in my soda I would have fallen asleep. Movies like this give "Chick Flicks" a bad name even for females like me. Beginning? Middle? End? Not in this one. This is nothing to write home about. It's not even worth a video rental. The lighting was horrible. The actors' faces were washed out making them look like walking dead. It's possible it was done on purpose to keep a bunch of old ladies from looking their age while they were playing in a juvenile story. I like Meg Ryan, but I'm getting tired of her sad sack movies where we all have to feel sorry for her.

Starving for Sex n the city? The Women tries to satisfy your craving

Author: omarramonmuniz from United States
7 November 2008

Many other reviewers have written that The Women is a poor remake of the 1930s Ms. English. This is true, but let us not overlook the fact that the foundation of the story may be of Ms. English, but the motive for this movie was to imitate Sex and the City. The film was released with pristine timing. Shortly after Sex and The City sucked in millions but not too far in advance so that girls will forget about it. Even the trivial title of the film, The Women, screams that the filmmakers had no intentions of creating a reputable film, but a commercial piece for those starving for more Sex and the City. By titling the film, The Women, it's an obvious attempt to beat you over the head about who this film is made for, in case the five women on the poster didn't do that for you already (speaking of which, the marketing dept didn't miss a beat by identifying every possible ethnicity and age group in the movie poster). This film had no intentions of being good, and I feel that way because I give the actresses, at least the actresses, more credit than this. The intention was simply to get people in the movie theater and get their money out of their wallets and into the cash register. Once that was done, how people felt about the movie was a moot point. Also, important to note, that there are absolutely no men in this film!!! Not that you need men to make a movie or a good movie. That's not what I'm saying. But this film went so far out of its way to be about the women that men completely avoid the set! I don't even recall seeing an extra as a male! Overall, this is the epitome of Hollywood garbage; I film created not to tell a worth-while story but to attack a market, a certain demographic that will surely bite the bait is all the essential elements are included: High end nail salons, plastic surgery, Saks 5th Avenue, lesbians, liberated women, women disputing over men and friendship and mainly, selfishness. I urge to not support this film.

Entertaining & FUN!! We loved it!

Author: BronzeKeilani26 from SF. Calif. USA
30 December 2008

Never a dull moment & lessons to be learned thru this movie! As a mother, Candice Bergman gave excellent advice many of us could use. If your a female w/ close friends who are good-fun like mines, watch it w/ your girls! Or even alone. We were all able to relate to the characters, situations & parenting issues in the movie, maybe that's what made it emotional yet so hilarious. Everyone wanted to borrow our friend's rented DVD to watch it again so I went out & bought my own knowing it was the kind of movie I could watch over & over, especially when down & out. It's all in good fun while it lasts, seriously, and you won't be disappointed in comparison to all the other cra* rentals out. I didn't even know this was a remake till I read another post but I think I'd rather look at Eva than Joan Crawford. I don't think Joan Crawford could make me laugh period. I think of Mommie Dearest every time someone mentions her name. The script was well written & the main characters all played their parts w/ good humor well. It was also exhilarating to see most my favorite great actresses in a single movie! I even got misty eyed when Annette's character remorsefully confessed she betrayed her friend (Meg) b/c her job was at stake. I was kind of disappointed that Jada looked so thin. Natasha Alam wasn't convincing at all as Jada's gay love interest or a fashion model, which is what she is. Bad acting complicates role-playing for other actors making it a challenge for them to be convincing, but Jada's professionalism out shined Natasha's flawed acting & carried us over to the next scene. It was a bumpy ride but she managed & it was smooth sailing after that! Her character was me to the tee, I can't stand being out in the day or I have to keep my shades on, lol. Although it was Mary Haines (Meg Ryan) 1st fashion show, they could have did better w/ the clothing. The first set of dresses were so plain & so tight around the model's breast that it was unrealistic anyone would allow them to walk out like that. Worst yet, caught a store like Sak's attention. She made her point tho, and that was that we can't take care of others until we learn how to take care of our own needs first. The more we give our children & husband to love & respect, the more love & respect they'll have for us! Great ending!

Breathtakingly Captures the Female of This Generation

Author: tabuno from utah
27 September 2008

Like "Mama Mia" (2008) captured the musical presentation of contemporary family life, "Women" (2008) captures the comedy-drama of contemporary female life. Both on the surface and underneath, this delightful, funny movie presents most of the female characteristics, the fine nuances of many fascinating female personas without pretense, without dramatic flair. The performances are actually more sensitive with dazzling undertones, hues, feelings that really hit home, the pulse, the frantic energy, the intellectual interplay. This fusion and immersion of many well-known actresses of our age is one of the highlights of the year for female movies, perhaps in many years. The ending also lifts the notion of male and female relational movies a definite notch...making this movie standout. Nine out of Ten Stars.

Amazing

Author: graydra from United States
22 October 2008

This was an excellent film. Meg Ryan is as adorable as ever, you always seem to root for her and this movie was on exception. Debra Messing is so cute 24/7. Annette Bening is sweet all the time. Jada Pinkett Smith is great. Meg Ryan plays a women who has been cheated on, she's so conserved but just wants to let it out. Debra Messing plays one of those best friends who is a mother of a lot of kids, always has a house full, but somehow handles it. Annette Bening plays a business women who still has time for her best friends. And Jada Pinkett Smith plays a lesbian night owl who won't trade anything for her friend

If you have a mother, a daughter, a grandma, an aunt, a best friend, or any woman in your life; so see this movie with them. This is one of those movies where you walk out feeling different about yourself and the world around you. Chick flick doesn't begin to describe The Women. I personally recommend you see this movie

Page 11 of 13: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]