IMDb > Stick It (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Stick It to the Teen Movie

Author: taydiggity from United States
29 April 2006

So maybe it isn't an Oscar winner, but Stick It was, by far, certainly not the worst movie to hit theaters this year. No, Tristan & Isolde would take that honor. Still, I thought this movie was worth a review written by someone who was not so obviously a guy dragged to the theater by his girlfriend and by someone with some prior experience in the gymnastics world.

While this is not a movie that adults will credit as worth while, the younger generations (13-20) will certainly find it entertaining. The comedy, in my opinion, was well scripted and executed. The actors will not win any awards for their performances, but they were able to bring the characters to life and make them seem real.

The struggle shown for the girls in the gymnastics competitions is one that most competitors face. The judges are harsh and the rules, some of them, are ridiculous.

The movie is ultimately about overcoming the obstacles thrown in your life, finding someone who will believe in you no matter what, and realizing what is most important to you.

I would certainly recommend this movie.

Just FUN!

Author: graciegurl2005
4 May 2006

While of course its not Oscar material, this movie is just a blast to watch! I left the theater in a better mood then I was before I went in. In my opinion, that says a lot about a movie. If you are looking for a film to make you feel good and put a smile on your face, this is definitely a good pick.

The character Hayley brings a sarcastic form of humor that constantly keeps you laughing. The writing is sharp and sophisticated, much more entertaining than its predecessor "Bring It On". I would highly recommend this movie if you are looking for a good time, or need a break from the real world.

For what it was, this was an okay film.

Author: Movieguy_blogs_com from United States
26 April 2006

In 'Stick It' Missy Peregrym plays Haley Graham, a troubled ex-gymnast. When her adolescent antics bring her before the judge, she is given the choice of either jail time or back to training. Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges) is reluctant to bring her back. After walking out on the national championship, she is hard to trust. She let a lot of people down that day, friends and foes alike, but not everything is what it seems.

For what it was, this was an okay film. Most of the cast did surprisingly well, the choreography was really good. I think most of the actresses did their own routines. There is something of a surprise ending with a good message in the end.

However, I think this movie was fairly slow and not very believable. Haley appears to be too old for such competition. But, I think anyone who likes gymnastics or appreciates the competition will like this film.

This Film Had HEART

Author: grahamjonesjr from United States
29 April 2006

This was a wonderful film with lots of heart. The other people in the audience that I saw it with clapped at the end just like I did. How many films are there about the world of gymnastics? It was original, and the kids were a lot of fun. The writer-director also wrote BRING IT ON, another wonderful film, tighter script -but not as much heart.

The cast was good; the lead can act and her two guy buddies played it well. Jeff Bridges is always fun. I suppose if I had to make one criticism it would be that the first half moved a little slow and some of the camera work was uneven: focus was soft in places, and sometimes the composition was neither here nor there. But I recommend this film.

So bad that it's good

Author: Tweety0402 from United States
24 April 2006

Let's just state the obvious: a movie like "Stick It" is not one that will ever be up for any kind of award. It's just not that kind of flick. It also is a girly teeny-bopper movie. Taking this into mind, is where I start basing my judgment on any movie.

Overall, "Stick It" is one of the funniest "girly-teeny-booper" movies out there. It is so bad, that it's good. It has some funny one-liners that you will be unable to stop quoting. For example, when one of the girls wants to wear sleeveless leotards she simple states: "I have a constitutional right to 'bare' arms." It's silly lines like that that are planted throughout the entire movie which makes it enjoyable.

The style of shooting the gymnastic routines is very inventive and overall not a bore. The editing was superb. The music makes you want to get up and move. And the acting is surprisingly good. Overall, this is a great movie and I hope everyone goes to see it. It may not be worth the nighttime admittance but definitely worth matinée.

A teen girl, in trouble with the law, is forced to come out of retirement and return to gymnastics, a sport she hates

Author: electrikbrunette from United States
6 May 2006

This movie was hilarious! I wouldn't recommend it for an older age group, but any teens that are looking for a nice, clean, funny, entertaining movie should definitely check this out! The opening of the movie is extremely creative, and you immediately get a feel for the type of teen bubbly movie it is. There are a few serious points, but all in all the main message of this movie is just because an adult says it, it doesn't make it right. Cheesiness is a given within this movie, as are tons of laughs, beautiful girls, attitude, and two gorgeous guys. Most definitely NOT for a person looking for an award winning performance, but it IS for someone looking for a few laughs and to leave the theater satisfied.

Surprisingly good teen movie

Author: abbywts from United States
12 March 2008

This is a movie I SHOULD have hated. It fits into several genres I normally can't stand. It's a teen movie (hate them), it's a sports movie (hate them), it's a formulaic troubled teen makes good with help of mentor movie (you get the idea). It came on cable one day and I ended up sticking with it-I'm glad I did. Instead of hating it, I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. It's definitely formulaic, but so are 95% of the movies out there, anyway. They just pull off the formula very well. Gymnastics is something I have a great deal of respect for (unlike figure skaters, sorry), those people are hardcore athletes. The scenes involving the actual gymnastics, whether in competition or practice, are filmed quite creatively. The actors are cast well, also, especially the lead. She looks so...all-American, for lack of a better description, and can actually act. I'm not a teenager, BTW, so I would imagine teens would enjoy this even more.

Quibbles? The music. It's not my taste (except for blink 182). Other than that, for this type of movie, they did a good job. This isn't supposed to be Taxi Driver or Fargo-just a relatively light, feel-good movie that hits the target it was aiming for.

A Fascinating, Human Look at Female Gymnastics

Author: tabuno from utah
14 May 2006

Stick It hits a solid landing in the narrative-driven, juvenile female drama of gymnastics with a nice unusual twist with a message. This gymnastics movie has more interesting behind the scenes looks at this sport bringing both educational and entertainment value not typically experienced in sports movies. The acting is good, the comic value fun, the drama decent. This is good summer, female movie with sensitivity and improves on its predecessors like The Cutting Edge. While not a serious drama, this family movie brings with it a nice balance of family values, rebellious teen coming of age movie, and light humor that maintains an edge. Eight out of Ten Stars.

I have now seen this movie, four times in a row.

Author: Carycomic from Torrington, CT, USA
7 May 2006

Yep! You read that right. And, I enjoyed it, each and every time.

I never heard of Missy Peregrym, or Vanessa Lengies, before this. But, I have a strong feeling they will be getting a whole lot more work, from now on.

Missy plays Haley "the Cracker" Graham. A rebellious teenage gymnast who walked out on the sport a few years earlier. After learning that her then-coach (played by John Kapelos, ex-FOREVER KNIGHT) was apparently involved with her mother on a less-than-professional basis!

She is court-ordered to join a gym owned by Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges). A former male gymnast with a Bela Karoly-like reputation for injured students. He and Haley gradually learn to grudgingly respect each other. Enough to take their four-girl team to another pre-Olympic world championship.

Now, this movie might seem like a fluff piece, based on the way the trailers are edited. But, if you sit through it, you realize that it cooks up a lot of valid food-for-thought. Why do real-life sport judges go for consistency over innovation? Did the gymnast, for whom the Sukahara Move is named, get initially penalized for what he or she pioneered? Don't they remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson said about foolish consistencies and little minds?

I think the next time real-life judges act less-than-impartial (which seems to be the rule, rather than the exception), at a real-life gymnastics tournament, the real-life female gymnasts should instigate a little civil disobedience. After all: over-paid footballers, baseballers, and hockey players have gone on strike. And, eventually, been forgiven for it. Why not under-appreciated female gymnasts, who (because they are required to be "amateurs") don't enjoy seasonal salaries of seven or more figures?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hey, this wasn't that bad actually

Author: coopcollects from United States
3 May 2006

OK Sure, we have all seen this plot line thousands of times before, a "bad" kid runs afoul of the law/parents/teachers blah blah blah. They have to go back and compete in the sport/competition that they were considered to be a natural in "You have more raw talent then I have even seen before." They make good on that promise and redeem themselves and yes everything is right with the world. OK I admit it, I like it every time I see it. We all root for the underdog, it's the freaking American way people!!! Go see this movie, it's entertaining, well shot and has a few laughs along the way to boot. I thought it was well done and easy to watch.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]