IMDb > SegaSonic the Hedgehog (1993) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

SegaSonic the Hedgehog (VG) More at IMDbPro »

I Look Forward To Ray's Next Game Appearance

Author: roocadillac85 from Los Angeles, CA
30 August 2015

The Sonic games date back to 1991 but this one is the first where the characters each have a voice. Originally an arcade game, SegaSonic the Hedgehog never reach consoles because the game involves a trackball. Perhaps trackball games are difficult to convert to standard console games.

While Sonic and Mighty continue to show up in later games after this point, Ray hasn't made any game appearances for more than two decades now. Nevertheless, Ray is slowly gaining some popularity. I mean I see some online videos of him running in scenes that appear to be from 3D Sonic games. Some fans even released a modified version of the first Sonic game featuring Ray as the playable character.

Well, I certainly look forward to Ray's next official game appearance. And when he does, I hope a guy would be selected to provide his voice.

Why Ray Got Retired

Author: lansimmons112 from Los Angeles, CA
18 October 2015

While I been knowing Sonic and Tails for a long time, I never knew about Ray. This was until I saw an online game featuring him. The game is actually the first Sonic the Hedgehog that was altered by some computer geniuses. After seeing a few screen-shots, I looked into sites like Wikipedia and YouTube to know more about this obscure character. It was there I found out that he appeared in SegaSonic the Hedgehog, an arcade game that never made it to home consoles.

Why was Ray retired after making his sole appearance in this game? People can come up with a theory or another. Firstly, SegaSonic the Hedgehog is one of the first Sonic games where the characters speak. As for Ray, despite showing some considerable cuteness, he was played by a drag king, whereas the other characters are played by the right people. I guessed that might have disappointed a lot of male gamers.

Thankfully, Ray is making a comeback because there are a lot dedicated fans who seem to be interested in him. He then appeared in comic books based on the games. If the game developers decide to put him in a new Sonic game, it will be his first game appearance in more than two decades.