IMDb > One Night with the King (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What a satisfying movie

Author: lukewolf4 from United States
13 October 2006

At first I thought it was going to be a disaster. I was not impressed with Tiffany Dupont early on. She was more of a 21st century character than a woman of 2500 years ago. She seemed silly and frivolous, and her dialog was ludicrous -- but only in the first 10 minutes or so. She definitely matured and grew gracefully into the role of Queen Esther as the movie progressed -- and fortunately her dialog improved as well.

I was very drawn into scenes that featured other actors from the beginning however. Each scene with Luke Goss was mesmerizing. He is a very charismatic actor and was perfectly cast as King Xerxes. I confess that I fell in love with this character and this actor. Another favorite was Tommy "Tiny" Lister, who stole scene after scene. There were some very funny, touching, and powerful scenes built around this mighty actor. What a wonderful performance. My next personal favorite was James Callis. He probably turned in the most stunning performance of all, and I truly think he deserves a best supporting Oscar for this captivating role. That won't happen of course. No way that secular Hollywood will endorse this movie or praise this movie in any way -- even though it's deserved. So far, at least 75% of the reviews that I've read from the "professional" critics dish this movie. I think their reviews are being filtered though their bias and intolerance.

I'm a Christian, and I'm not a supporter or fan of Gen8x or TBN -- but they finally got a movie right. Really right. And I hope it's a huge success for them.

I loved this movie. It has everything...a beautiful love story, humor, intrigue, great acting, noble characters, dastardly villains. Plus the locale, costumes, and music are magnificent. I'll go see it again...and again. I'm also going to buy the DVD as soon as it's released. I'll be thinking about this movie for some time to come. Doralynn

An exceptionally bad movie: Like a bad film school project!

Author: Glendon Gross from United States
31 December 2006

I saw this when it was aired on TBN, and I'm glad I did not waste my money on a ticket. This is a 'B' movie trying to be more, but failing miserably. Maybe it was better in the theater, but I sincerely doubt it.

Although this movie had promise, it appears that the filmmakers did not have sufficient grasp of the mechanics of film-making to produce an acceptable result. The dialog is stodgy and excessively verbose, and is not uniform. The acting is weak, and the characters were not well cast, especially the two lead roles of Esther and Xerxes. This is Esther remade as a harlequin romance, except there is no chemistry between Tiffany Dupont, who seems like an adolescent rather than a woman of presence, and Luke Goss, who seems especially unfit for the role of a Persian king. I could not believe in their romance. The score is nice, but mixed too loudly and therefore is distracting. John Noble almost saved the film, but was not given enough screen time. Although pretty, Tiffany Dupont lacks the confidence to win a beauty contest.

The pace of the scenes alternates from a spastic and confused flurry of flashbacks in the beginning to grandiose and overdone and pretentious pomp that was not true to history. There are many unresolved dramatic subplots that do not enhance the storyline. In fact the main casualty of all this excess is the plot, which bears no resemblance to the biblical book of Esther. Frankly, it was hard for me to determine what the filmmakers were trying to accomplish. Of what benefit was the portrayal of Haman as trying to choke Queen Esther, when the bible tells the opposite story? I have not read the Tommy Tinney book, but this movie gave me no desire to explore it further. The idea that Xerxes has to physically stop a sword from hitting Esther is preposterous in light of the biblical account. It could never have happened.

As a bible scholar I do not appreciate the departures from the plot from the bible story. Even worse is the propagandistic implication that the Greeks and the Jews were aligned in their love of democracy, which has nothing to do with the historical events. The dramatic scenes did not work, and the narration was excessive and detracted from the opportunity to tell the story. Cutaways were often poorly done and did not match the geometry of the scene. In fact, the picture has a remarkably flat or two-dimensional appearance for a picture that was shot on location in India. I don't think there was any clear concept of the space that the filmmakers were trying to portray.

Frankly, I'm both disappointed and dismayed by the hype surrounding this movie that did not correspond with the truth about the movie. Are we American Christians so shallow that we desire neither a movie that is true to the bible nor true to history? It might have been excusable if the drama worked, or if the cinematography was believable. But the cameo by Peter O'Toole seems to have been included only to enable the filmmakers to misrepresent the film by using his name in such a way as to imply that he had a lead role, which left a bad taste in my mouth. As a high school or a college film school project this would have been OK, but it did not measure up to the standards of Cecil B. DeMille, despite the promotional statements to that effect. This film was a resounding disappointment.

As a believer and as one who has read the story of Esther - I expected much more!

Author: C Barrett from United States
20 October 2006

Please accept this letter as constructive criticism and not bashing. I am a dedicated viewer and lover of TBN, CBN, all it's programs and partners and most importantly the Lord!

Though the publicity and PR were excellent I have to honestly say that I was highly disappointed with the movie One Night with the King.

The start of the movie was very uninformative on the reason why King Xerses had Vashti dismissed as Queen. As a believer and for those who are not I think it key for the audience to understand how the people of that day and country lived and exactly why Vashti was being removed as Queen. This really in essence speared the way for Ester to become Queen.

I also feel that the audience did not get a good sense of passion between Xerses and Ester. Though this move was rated for audiences of all ages I feel that could have done a better job of showing just how much Xerses loved Ester. He loved her so much that he would have done and did anything for her. I really did not feel the love. Also, this really is not meant to be a put down but I don't think the physical features of the character playing Ester was right in this movie. The Bible story tells of a woman that is so beautiful. I recall reading that after the decision to depose Vashti as queen the council decided to have a beauty contest and invite all the most beautiful women from all 127 provinces so that the king could select the most beautiful woman to be the new queen. In the reading Ester was gorgeous in form and features. She was radiant, glowing, and glamorous. Again this is not meant to be a put down but the actress playing the role does not represent Ester physically. The movie also did not emphasize on the amount of preparation that was needed for these candidates to get ready for the king.

In addition the part in the move where Ester was running in the rain to get to Xerses to confess her true nationality and to save her people built up the audience but then nothing happened. Ester just fell in Xerses' arms and that was it. This definitely needed more substance. The audience needed to see just how much King Xerses loved Ester. The Bible indicates that when Ester approached the King without an invitation he faced her with a sword in his hand. The king gestured for her to touch the tip of the golden sword. When she did this she knew that she was safe. In the movie the king did not ask Ester of her heart's desire. The Bible indicates that the king said, "Queen Ester. You look absolutely ravishing today. What would you want from me? I will give anything that you want, up to half of the kingdom." The movie seems to show anger and uncertainly in the Kings eyes. I actually do not recall any part in the movie where King Xerses says "What do you want Ester? I will give you up to half of the kingdom". This was crucial. I don't feel that the King's deep love for Ester was really portrayed during any part of this movie.

Overall I felt lost during the movie. This was not only due to the fact that I know the story pursuant to the Bible. I felt lost through most of the move and found myself struggling to understand what was happening and what part of the story was being shown. If I feel this way as a believer I have to assume that the non believer may have even fallen asleep or given up on this movie.

Again, this is not mean to be bashing but I really want to give my honest and heartfelt opinion which I share with my Christian friends who have also seen the movie. I would be a hypocrite if I pretended to love it just because I am a Christian and only to show my support for the production team and Christina film.

God Bless,

Great story ruined by poor screenplay and some bad casting choices

Author: marianette-1 from United States
3 November 2006

The story of Esther has great potential, but this film limps along with mediocre acting (especially from Luke Goss as Xerxes) and a sub-par screenplay. Most actors employ bad British dialects. The dialogue can't decide if it's from the King James Bible (using the word "thou") or modern America (using the word "okay.") I know the story well, and I was often confused by pointless scenes about a Greek battle subplot. I know the Greek war is historical, but it isn't in Scripture and it doesn't serve the story. I didn't buy the love story.

On a positive note, John Rhys-Davies, Omar Sharif, and Peter O'Toole (on screen for about five seconds) are very good. Lovely Tiffany Dupont displays charm and fun as Esther, although the performance is uneven.

I'm a Christian, and I'm disappointed in most films that deal with faith. Let's hope "The Nativity" is better.

Enjoyed it

Author: eileenjahna from United States
15 October 2006

I enjoyed watching this movie but they took a lot of license with the biblical story. They especially changed time frames where they made months into weeks and days into hours. If you know your bible, you can really spot the differences.

I thought Tiffany Dupont who played Esther was charming. Luke Goss who played Xerxes was a bit overblown. The guy (James Callas) who played Haman was way over the top. John Rhys-Davies is always a joy to watch and he doesn't disappoint as Mordecai.

Even with that, I would rather see a movie like this than 90% of the stuff put in theaters these days. Would recommend seeing the movie and then go home and read the real story!

Orphan girl grows up in a land of enemies, finds her faith and saves her people

Author: Juda Engelmayer from United States
28 September 2006

I have seen the film and it delivers as much as I had hoped. The scenery is authentic ancient Persia, filmed in India and made with a fantastic cast of actors.

Newcomer Tiffany Dupont is so believable, and James Callis' Haman is easy to hate. John Ryhs-Davies brings chills in his portrayal of Mordechai, and it is nice to see O'Toole and Shariff in the same film again - and in the dessert no less.

See the film, take your kids, enjoy it. It's the story of Purim, and while we all know the outcome, it is powerful to watch.

It opens in theaters on October 13.

Amazing movie with current affairs

Author: Christina Patterson from United States
7 October 2006

This movie is amazing for so many reasons, the cast, the scenery, the story-line and that it parallels what we see happening in the world today. The historical truth about an ancient Persian queen is exactly the same battle happening in Israel today. It's not often that you see a movie that can relate directly with current world affairs and still maintain truth and purity. This movie achieves all this and more. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys history, wholesome entertainment, a great love story or compulsive movie goers. What's great about this movie is that it can appeal to a wide variety of age groups and provides a much needed heroine/role model for young people today. This movie will inspire you and leave you cheering at the end! A must see!!

Too much Harlequin to little history

Author: pmmlis from United States
6 November 2006

I went to see this film in hopes that it might be worth seeing. It was to the extent that it had a few good actors and ornate costumes. The problem was that there was so much focus on making it a romance. There is way to much of "Xerxes" bare (or scantily covered chest) and much too little of dramatic story, which is the main strength of the story of Haddasah (Esther). Most of the acting was mediocre and some big name stars got very little to work with. Portraying Greeks and the Jewish people of the time as "prodemocracy" is very much of a stretch. The story was muddled as was much of the history. There was very thin plotting and so many characters were introduced that one would have a hard time keeping track of them, or what purpose they served to the story.

The tale had potential, but it was not realized.

Author: randall2 from Alaska
23 November 2006

This story had all the elements that should make a movie attractive... action, intrigue, romance, a little suspense... but it was wasted on this film. The production was uneven, hopping from one seemingly unrelated scene to another, many of them making our leading lady appear at best adolescent and at worst delusional. The music was not well chosen for the action, and the directing was obvious (thunder crashes as Esther delivers what was supposed to be a dramatic line). The acting was mostly disappointing, with fine performances by John Rhys-Davies, Omar Sharif and a few others, but pretty amateur efforts from the rest of the cast. In all, the only thing I really enjoyed were the period costumes.

Nice looking, but not especially well done

Author: omphalos02 from United States
15 October 2006

This film does have a wonderful story to tell, and the location shots (it was filmed in India to imitate ancient Persia) are beautiful. That's the good news. The bad news is that the actual script for the story is weak and much of the dialog is stilted. Some of the acting is truly sub-par, although the girl who plays Hadassa/Esther really makes the most of some very bad situations script-wise. I felt that the direction was heavy handed in much of the film, but some gorgeous recreations and CG backdrops almost make up for this. Also,the fact that Peter O'Toole is advertised as a "star" of this film is very misleading. He appears in maybe five minutes of footage at the beginning, and nothing more. Overall, I thought the film had good intentions, but not enough time and effort put into a convincing script.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]