IMDb > Miami Vice (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Miami Vice

Miami Vice More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 93: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Cinematic adaptation from classic TV with action, suspense and violence

Author: ma-cortes
15 October 2007

This is a story about being undercover, and what happens when you go deep undercover.Particularly if you're doing an operation in a foreign country, where your badge doesn't count and where you can't have SWAT team surveillance you, and people are not in contact, you really are out on the edge. It's the allure of doing that undercover work and what happens to you when you're deep in that role of that fabricated identity. These roles protagonists(Colin Farrell,Jamie Foxx as Sonny Crockett and Tubbs) are filled by real deal. This is a cool film directed by Michael Mann. He tells that his ambitions with a picture like that was to really go exploring into some of diverse areas. It's shot in location Scout, South America. One of the exciting things about Michael Mann is the choosing real location all the time. We're dealing with environment that can often surprise us. Whether it's the light, whether it's dramatic moment with the sky, or some interior or some sort of background action that would not have happened in a controlled backlog situation. Michael gets this slickness, finding places, that, you know , that aren't even on the map.He makes as real as he possibly can. He's all about, why fake it, when you can do it for real? . The cameraman Dion Beebe gets a maximum chromatic saturation. The shooting in these places like Ciudad del Este is incredibly stimulating and exciting.It's a Tri-border area where Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina meet. It's such a unique part of the world. This town have people who are from Middle East, Lebanese and Syrians, a lot of ethnic Chinese and the country speaks Guarani, which is the indigenous language. These people were extras and director got to be pretty determined to get a crew to these places. Also was shot a lot of stuff in the Dominican Republic and in some areas, it took a lot of social engineering to be able to bring a film company in and shoot responsibly and shoot safely. The main shooting is Miami, it's kind of globalized city with a huge population and a lot of money, and lot of people from Haiti, Brazil, Venezuela Columbia. In the movie Miami seems to have elevated itself, up into the most sensual which is up into the air.It's reflected the storm systems, the clouds, the dramatic weather and nature in a very, almost tactile way. Filming in really swank, fantastic places, and the girls are still beautiful(Gong Li, Naomie Harris,Elizabeth Rodriguez) and the cars are still fast but doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the underbelly of Miami.The city is photographed with alluring, it's very attractive, very engaging , sensual and also very dangerous and things that we can see around the images; furthermore an atmospheric music score by John Murphy. The motion picture is well realized by the successful director Michael Mann.

must be viewed more than once

Author: orsonlovespeas from United States
3 June 2007

Being a huge Michael Mann fan, and a fan of great white linen suits I was very excited for Vice the movie. When I first saw it in the theater I walked out with a huge sense of disappointment. I had pretty much hated my experience. However, knowing Mann's body of work, doing some research on the film, on themes, etc. I began to think more and more about it. After a week of this I saw it again, alone, in a theater and loved it. It's a deep film, deeper than you might at first believe. It must be viewed more than once. The first time you see it, you will probably be a bit confused and unsatisfied. But after some time, let it digest and see it again. It will come together and be a beautiful film. the final shootout is a great example of this. The performances are under stated to be sure, especially Farrell, who really does a magnificent job. He outshines Foxx, though to his defense Jamie doesn't have quite as much to do. The biggest and MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is that this is not an adaptation, nor is it an update. It is a totally fresh story with the characters, based in the 21st century. I'd also urge you to really listen to the music, the soundtrack is a notch above many films. Also the sharp colors of the fabulous HD cameras, and some of the sexiest kill scenes in a long time. Is it heat? No. But it's pretty good.

beautiful, vastly underrated

Author: bigheadfilms from Memphis, TN, U.S.A.
27 February 2007

Maybe I'm reading too much into this film, but I personally think that, like Hitchcock's Vertigo, it will one day come to be appreciated as Mann's true classic. Vertigo was a flop at the box office -- and took a pretty serious critical beating as well -- when it came out. Vice is a fantastic film, with many of the reviews totally missing the mark, proving more that the reviewers lack imagination and intelligence than that the movie sucks. I've gotta add here that one critic who "got" it was A.O. Scott of the New York Times. Check out this tidbit from his insightful review: '"Miami Vice" is an action picture for people who dig experimental art films, and vice versa. I'm not exaggerating about the art. Some of the most captivating sequences have an abstract quality, as if Mr. Mann were paying homage to the avant-garde, anti-narrative cinema of Stan Brakhage in the midst of a big studio production. Dispensing with the convention that the pictures exist to serve the story, Mr. Mann frequently uses plot as an excuse to construct ravishing pictures.' Well said. I would take it a step further and call the pic as much about existential crisis as about men obsessed with their work (art) above all else. One particular shot comes to mind regarding this: Crockett and Tubbs are in a criminal's seaside home trying to convince him to rat out a drug dealer. We're just several scenes into the movie at this point, and Mann has spared us any of the usual expository crap most Hollywood hacks think us dummies in the audience need to fall into a story. But as Tubbs is talking to this dude, Sonny, for just a moment, gazes out the big bay windows that reveal the infinite ocean beyond. Then he looks back at Tubbs, and Mann cuts right back to a wide shot and we're back in the story proper. It's just an instant, but in that instant, the whole tale is foreshadowed. Sonny is discontent. He's a kick-ass cop, totally dedicated to his work, but in this moment, we see the little crack that will lead him to risk everything--his life, the lives of others, millions of dollars, his career--for a woman, a drug dealer, later in the film. Criticisms of the movie's lack of coherent plot really miss the mark (aside from confusing "story" with "plot"). The movie is about Miami, the romance and death and beauty and terror of the place. The characters and their little stories, as Sonny realizes in that one shot, are insignificant.

I'd rather have toothpicks stuck in my eyes

Author: bsilverbush-1 from United States
17 January 2007

Okay, I'll make this real easy: Q. What's good about this movie? A. Nothing. Q. Was there any part of the movie I liked? A. No. Q. And your reasons are? You've got to be kidding....where to start, there is no much that is God-awful about this "movie." Okay, I'll try. Direction: b o r i n g. Music: I can't even recall any. I mean, really; they could have used any of Jan Hammer's TV scores from over a decade ago, and that would've been a vast improvement. Acting: Jesus, I mean, with the box office draw they had, you think SOMEBODY would have put forth an effort? Totally, incredibly, bad acting. Action: Now here's what really ticked me off. The genre IS action, isn't it? Where was it? I mean, if you spend the money to rent some cigarette boats and exotic sports cars, shouldn't they be central to an adrenalin shocking chase scene? Nada. Sheesh! Anyway, I left the theater not only grossly disappointed, but feeling as though I had been "ripped off." This is one film that would have been better off left on the cutting room floor, and I mean all of it. Simply put: they don't come any worse.

A Stylistic Drama/Thriller

Author: Trp1985 from Sri Lanka
14 September 2008

After seeing Michael Mann's 'Heat' & 'Collateral' I never could pass up the chance of seeing Miami Vice in the theater. Like many, the first viewing left me a little underwhelmed but I was sure I'd purchase it when it hit DVD (I'm such a fan now I bought the recent Blu-ray release as well). There was just something about it that made me think it was well worth revisiting from time to time (and I have many times since the theatrical release). 'Miami Vice' maybe the most misunderstood movie of Mann's career--people had different notions how their favorite TV series from the 80's would turn up on the big screen. My guess is many were disappointed, as the current rating (6.0) suggests. But I wasn't around in the 80's, and as such I had NO notion of what it would be--I didn't even know it was a cop drama. What's absorbing about MV is that it contains familiar themes that made 'Heat' and 'Collateral' appealing--aside from Mann's trademark action sequences, there's some beautiful cinematography: Miami is made to rise up to ethereal grace--trees swinging against the wind, a sudden bolt of lightning, neon lights highlighting freeways, aerial photography; plus more humanistic themes like loneliness (Sonny looking over the ocean at Nicholas's condo/Neil looking over the ocean at his home in 'Heat'), finding love amidst chaos etc. And I like how Sonny & Ricardo's chemistry was more low-key than in your average cop movie--most people say there was NO chemistry but the few words they do share during the movie and their glances of acknowledgment to each other were enough for me. Yes, the plot is complicated--but Mann doesn't spell everything out for you: he puts us right in the middle of a dangerous world where you actually feel the danger, where violence is quick and relationships are like ticking time-bombs. I could go on about the positives of this movie, but frankly I believe that along with 'Heat' 'Collateral' and 'The Insider' , Miami Vice is one of Michale Mann's best films.

Original, Engaging, Intelligent Film!

Author: FreshOne10 from Canada
17 August 2006

After seeing a score of 6.1 for this movie I was hesitant to waste my money on it. I'm GLAD that I didn't go with popular opinion as I very much enjoyed it.

If you go into the film expecting everything pretty and slick like it was in the TV series, with lots of babes, car chases, explosions, and gun fights you may be disappointed because it is not a duplicate of the TV show.

Instead you get a film that is very well balanced (plot, action, drama, sensuality), with very good acting and that requires you to pay attention (THINK) all throughout the movie. (It seems some people gave a low score because they couldn't understand the film. But I much prefer that the producers, writers and directors did not dumb it down to the level of many action movies in the past few years. Triple X with Vin Diesel, for example.)

The film stays true to elements of the TV show, while elevating things to a higher level. The storyline goes global and there are location shots in many places. The caution is that you aren't spoon-fed the unfolding plot, but it is not an obscure or warped plot. If you have a short attention span you may find the movie confusing, but just be patient or watch it twice.

Someone complained of poor character development, but the characters of Tubbs, and Crocett are well developed and Isabella probably had the most character development. So it is there, even if you have to infer or derive things.

Crockett and Tubbs have been very well updated (as characters) into the modern day. Do not think of this movie as happening in the same era as the 80s, when the clothing, mannerisms, building decorations etc were quite different.

And the chemistry between Tubbs and Crockett is there... often you can see them having 'conversations' just by nodding at each other or staring at each other. And they have this cool implicit trust of one another.

There is one thing I thought could have been tied up a bit better at the end of the movie. You'll know it when you see it. My only guess is that they have left some room for a sequel.

This is a very good film that had me on the edge of my seat. Oh, there is also a very funny moment with Tubbs that made the entire cinema laugh.

Overall, highly recommended.

Such a disappointing movie.

Author: aidonvito (aidonvito@aol.com) from London
27 August 2006

Overall I didn't like this movie, but I am a big fan of Michael Mann's films.

This movie had such great potential, but in the end, it was too long (the editor needed to be more ruthless) and had very little substance. I cannot argue with the shooting of the film, the sets and visuals were superb. The soundtrack was good, but the big disappointment was the middle of the movie.

A story needs a beginning, a middle and an end!. It seemed that after an initial good 20 minutes, the remainder of the movie, just ambled along with no real sense of purpose. The beginning and end were OK, but the middle was a mess.

I have seen the movie twice, just to give it a second chance, but to no avail.

The two leads (Farrell and Fox) just don't gel. I think both are very talented actors, but it seemed like they had met a day before shooting the movie began. They just did not create the impression, that they were a partnership on screen. Too many of the scenes feature Crockett, Tubbs and various other individuals. There should have been more scenes with only Crockett and Tubbs.

More effort should have gone into developing the reasons, why crockett and tubbs were such a great team. The audience is just expected to assume that they are a great partnership, with little or no background.

I am a fan of the 80's TV show, but knew it was an updated version, rather than a remake, but the story was still lacking.

As I stated earlier, for visuals and soundtrack, you won't be disappointed, Mann has again scored on that front.

The problem lies with the development of the story, after the first 20 mins. An informant commits suicide and this then opens up the main purpose of the film. Crockett and Tubbs are to infiltrate a drug smuggling ring and take down all the major players.

All of a sudden, Tubbs is a qualified pilot, Crockett is adept at handling a speedboat and any action decides to take time out. The whole middle sequence of the film, rambles from Crocketts love interest to lots of dialogue about drug deals (at which point subtitles would have been nice!! the speech is too quick from all the actors and even with the great sound of a movie theatre, it is hard to understand what has just been said) Some action would have been nice, just to change the pace, but the whole middle section becomes quite boring.

The last half hour does up the tempo, but by this time, its too little, too late, as you are treated to a couple of action sequences. Compared to Mann's previous movies, these sequences, seem like they were filmed in five minutes and not given much thought to.

As I said, I am a big fan of Michael Mann movies, I saw it TWICE to give it a fair chance, but overall, this is not a good movie. I hope his next movie improves on this one!

Disappointed

Author: mk2893 from United States
31 July 2006

I'm a big Michael Mann fan, and consider his role in the original Miami Vice, I figured he would perfect the art form and deliver yet another great movie. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed.

During the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, I could barely hear any of the actors lines; they mumbled a bit too much for me. After that, it seemed that the middle of the movie consisted of sex scene after sex scene , none of which really seemed to add too much to the movie (I think one sex scene with Farrel and that woman would have been sufficient to express that they were "together" and Foxx's sex scene seemed unnecessarily gratuitous). Though that in and of itself is not a huge problem, ultimately it became just one of many little reasons that I was let down by the film.

I got the main storyline (the whole drug bust thing) but it seemed that the movie attempted to explore several various plot lines, without concluding them, or even giving enough information to the audience to draw their own conclusions. A few examples include the "leak" in the agency (it seemed like they explored that halfway), the dynamic between Isabella and Jose, and the whole Arian brotherhood plot.

And though action alone doesn't make a film, it should play a key role in a movie like Miami Vice, and there was a disturbing lack of it. The end scene would have been satisfying, but it seemed a bit poorly shot, and telling who was who was difficult to impossible, due to awkward camera angles.

I give it a 5/10 because I felt that there were some things Mann should be given credit for. He had a good cast, and there was certainly potential. The movie mainly loses points on the grounds that it did not effectively utilize its potential. It was one of my most anticipated movies, and I desperately wanted to love it.

I would love to hear any opinions to the contrary that could offer me a different perspective on the film, or any supplimentary opinions that could expound upon what I've said.

Truly Awful

Author: whitakeroh from cincinnati OH
29 July 2006

All I can say is do not see this movie. This is the worst movie I have seen this summer. I take great latitude in appreciating movies. However, this movie does absolutely nothing the entire time it is on. This is the same type movie as collateral except far worse. We have Colin Farrel whose 6 or so pathetic lines in the movie make him sound like the fakest redneck I have ever heard, not to mention how his mullet looks awful. I know movies are bad when my friends and I start making fun of it 20 minutes into the film. The script here is absolutely horrendous, there are lines the characters say that lead nowhere and mean nothing. There are scenes that just seem to continue into forever while characters look aimlessly in the sky or in the distance. I mean we were making snoring sounds to express our distaste for how long and drawn out some of the scenes were. Why do women like Colin Farrel? In this movie he looks like a redneck speed freak with a mullet, and has the build of a 12 year old soccer player. The plot, oh my, is so terrible. I still am not sure what the horrid plot was. Suffice to say that we have "major" drug lords who don't look imposing at all, have no presence, and make no sense. Then we have this "professional drug business woman" who is with the top drug dealer in south America or something, and falls for some hillbilly from nowhere in one day in Cuba. This made no sense. Further, the other drug dealer guy was lameo. He looked as scary as my goldfish, and his presence wasn't ominous or anything of the like. Look, I like most action movies when they are fun, exciting, OK plot, whatever, but this movie is terrible folks. It makes no sense, there is no plot, the acting sucks, there are long drawn out scenes that lead nowhere and you the action isn't that great. There are a couple of OK scenes where there is heavyweight gunplay, however, these scenes comprise about .5% of the movie. The other 99.95% of the movie are stills of Colin Farrel looking into the distance at nothing while a camera shakes like your watching your teenage son direct his friend's band at the local bar. Lastly, a word on political correctness in movies: why the flip are the other drug dealers in Miama Florida white aryan nation guys? Is Hollywood so held hostage by blacks that they can't portray them honestly? I mean, the gangs in Miami are hispanic (latin American) or black, not white. Its almost like in film anymore we can't portray any truth, no movies about terrorists arabs, we still have the same Russian white guys, and here whites. Why? Because whites require no political protection from any attack. So directors play it safe so they aren't accused of anything, but it makes the whole movie unrealistic and boring.

Visually Stunning And Bursting With Stylish Flare. Shame That The Same Can't Be Said About The Substance

Author: Det_McNulty from London
4 August 2006

Once again Michael Mann creates an entertaining and enthralling action thriller with Miami Vice. As well as staying faithful to the original iconic 80s series, it manages to being a whole new life to the franchise that changed TV and though may seem to have not got better with time it is still always going to be something special. The film's narrative structure lacks the rhythm and motion that is needed to create a more "compelling" blockbuster.

I generally hate Colin Farrell and when I heard that he had been cast as "Sonny" I was surprised and also disappointed. Colin Farrell lacks the discipline and gritty features needed to play a character such as "Sonny". What gets on my nerves about Colin Farrell's acting ability is the fact he is so "over the top" and never puts any depth, emotion or facial acting into his roles. He's generally a bland and un-appealing actor, also some of the dialogue (In particular Colin Farrell's) was so corny and lame you felt that the actor would have been being laughed at. In a strange way though you could stay the "style" of the script was a tribute to the odd 80s feel the movie had. On a lighter note Jamie Foxx was great as "Ricardo Tubbs", he lived up to the original character and put a new dimension into the role. I found it surprisingly realistic and he was awesome at keeping his "cool".

Michael Mann's beautiful, sleek and cool direction style perfectly suits the mood of Miami Vice. Mann's use of lighting (As usual) shows tremendous skill and intelligence to perfection of detail. The editing is very sharp and flows nicely, unlike the film's story which in places felt dis-joined. The style added a real raw intensity to the film's look and I felt it was very good on the eyes with some of the beautiful scenery which grabbed my attention. Mann is always a perfectionist as visual flare and creating a tense crime film (Which usually are wonderfully structured). Even though the film is modern it still manages to feel very "80s" which I enjoyed.

Being a huge Miachel Mann fan and a film buff I had been highly anticipating Miami Vice and was still enthralled even though it did not match some expectations. Yes I disagreed with a particular casting choice and was not a fan of the clumsy script, but I was still pleased with the final outcome. Though I was very hyped up for Miami Vice and it does live up to Mann's previous masterpieces it still manages to be the best film of the year so far in what is a (So far) disappointing year for film. Miami Vice is a "cool" film and I recommend it if you want some good entertainment.