IMDb > Miami Vice (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Miami Vice

Miami Vice More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 95: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Bad beginning, strong finish

Author: blakzab
19 December 2006

Thought I was going to hate Miami VICE, but in the end, I dug it. Really just another Michael Mann-cops and robbers flick, so its gotta be decent, right?

The first forty minutes of the movie didn't work for me. No character development and too many confusing plots to follow. I really thought that I had accidentally skipped to half way through the movie. I was lost. But, once Crockett and Tubbs go under cover, the movie starts finally moving.

Again, lots of M. Mann stuff here. Tough guys. Forbidden love. Tons of cop talk...sneering bad guys. Tense gun fights.

One thing--as good as the digital photography looked, there were a few moments it looked really bad. Segments of the final gun fight often looked really cheap. But hey, it worked for the most part.

I thought it was a decent film...Not the best of 06' but, certainly not the worst....by far!

Author: dan711xx from United States
11 December 2006

Not the best but, not the worst of 06'....Micheal Mann is hit or miss usually,but he made a decent story in to what it was. Lots action and decent acting....And it left an opening for a sequel as well.I thought the chemistry with Colin and Isabella was pretty strong and on point. The acting by Jamie Foxx was not vintage academy award Stuff.He overplayed the character a bit. The next film should focus more on his charter than Sonny maybe.Well just wanted to post my first comment on this site. I heard so much negatively about this I had to buy and watch it myself. The Special Features were decent and the overall action was pretty on point with the story...Undercover work is definitely not for the weak minded. ~DC

Entertaining, especially for those new to MV

Author: pixelbender-junk from United States
2 December 2006

I wanted to rate this as a 7, but in comparison to all the other trash movies being released lately, it needs to be an 8 in comparison.

Many people have dogged on this movie because it doesn't stay true to the older MV - well if you haven't seen them or can look past that then it is a great movie.

It is more of a crime drama then say thriller, but there is some action in it. I am not a fan of Colin, but didn't mind him in this flick.

I just got done watching the unrated DVD, so I can't comment on its comparison to the theatrical release - all I can say is that it is Definitely worth a rent.

Directorial Tour De Force

Author: truth-10
25 November 2006

I'm usually don't write reviews, but the gross discrepancy between general opinion and what is actually on screen is too mind boggling for me to ignore.

This movie does not pamper its audience. It demands your complete attention. You like your movies to hold you hand and spell everything neatly out for you? Look elsewhere chump. You don't deserve to watch real movies.

The star of this film is the direction. It's lean and mean and so uncompromising is almost aggressive. They should use this movie as a teaching tool at film schools.

The cinematography is also staggeringly good. Nearly as good as that of The Insider. Mann has obviously made some very sophisticated choices for each and every shot in the film. I don't think there is a director alive that is at his level in this regard. Possibly David Fincher.

The weak point of the film is the premise. It's been done too many times to work on its own merit. The fact that the film reaches greatness despite its premise is a testament to Michael Mann's uncanny skill.

In conclusion:

If you are unable to follow the plot and are oblivious to the craftsmanship involved, the problem is not with the movie.

It's you.

Actually it's pretty well delivered.

Author: Syrchek from Slovenia
20 November 2006

I'm glad I resisted the curiosity of peeking into the ratings before I saw this one. A 7/10 is a pretty honest rating from me and I was a bit surprised when I saw such a low score. A logical conclusion: too many people compare it to the original TV series. I have to admit, I haven't seen one single part of the original 80's show. My guess is that the movie is far grittier than the series, but it maybe lacking some good chemistry and a finer story.

What I like particularly is the use of digital HDTV format. This is probably the first mainstream film where digital format was used so often and so obviously. The use of the format creates a distance between modern film making and 80's film making. Miami Vice (2006) want's to look like it's own film, from it's own separate era. The effect of the digital format is that it somehow makes the action scenes look far more realistic. It looks as if you have live access to a gun rally that a TV reporter is filming on the spot.

Pretty realistic I know. Well almost the same could be said about Farrel and Foxx, but they do suffer the lack of a good dialog at times. Something not very significant for a Michael Mann picture. This time the whole atmosphere doesn't reach the level of his previous film Collateral. Maybe it's because Crockett and Tubbs aren't dark enough characters to create a cathartic experience. They don't even come near it.

But in general this is still a very adult oriented crime-drama, mainly because of the interactions between the mob and the cops. As I've said. The problems seem to be the lack of chemistry, maybe an even better story and a more persuasive and logical ending. Luckaly the story was still complex and twisty enough to keep my attention for a little more than two hours. But a better conclusion and a focus for more climatic events could make this movie better. I honestly hope that Mann will fully succeed the next time.

....... +3/5 .......

Glossy surface is scratched and poked by faulty substance.

Author: Flagrant-Baronessa from Sweden
12 November 2006

Michael Mann loses his crime niche and clumsily stumbles and botches his way through a generic action thriller. I think it is clear what he is trying to do here with the gritty and realistic approach, but to quote Depeche Mode, "it's no good." Miami Vice proves a rigorous exercise in style over substance that will date badly because it is so contemporary. There is a scene that illustrates what I mean: the nightclub opening scene that regrettably becomes a pastiche of a sweaty Nelly music video with a pumping beat and scantily-clad tanned women.

Indeed very little stays true to the original series, for which Michael Mann was a producer. The plot outline seems to remain most faithful as Crockett and Tubbs are forced to go undercover for the FBI to expose a botched Miami drug-hit and become increasingly entangled in the corrupt underworld where the lines between cop and villain are dangerously blurred. The story attempts a fairly performance-driven approach, as is arguably Mann's strength, but owing to the uninteresting characters and flat actors it suffers immensely. After all, it is difficult to take Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx seriously when that comes out of their mouths is shameless plot-fodder and the former gets involved with that-one-woman-he-can't-have (Gong Li).

But let us talk about the style of Miami Vice. Stripping the pastel-coloured TV series of everything that made it fun in the first place – high hair, hammy technology, glammy score, tequila sunrises and showy pink suits – to pave way for sleek high-tech gadgets á la 21st century renders the film a grayish run-of-the-mill action thriller, Collateral style. Mann wields inexplicably grainy and unfocused cinematography, aiming for a look that is a muddy gray haze of digital pixels all in the name of documentary-style. The prevalence of stylistic and over-the-top gritty brutality undoubtedly offers some entertainment along the way but in the end the novelty wears off.

Yet there are many things that remain solid in the film and one can hardly complain about the explosions, fast-paced chases, hot cars and boats (in particular there is a vivid boat scene with Farrell and Li gliding on the ways with Moby playing in the background), exotic islands and women and fun sex scenes. Miami Vice offers plenty of moments to soak up the hot Miami atmosphere – although not nearly as effectively as the TV series did – even a few moments too many when the film endlessly stretches across a whopping 2h 12m. Yes, a little editing would have been nice but given circumstances in which Mann threw the stuff together in the end, it's not bad.

I was never a member of the Michael Mann camp and I even thought Collateral was a below average film. For me Miami Vice cements the downspiral of his career, especially when the former dynamics of his cat-and-mouse games are gone and now feel more like dutiful inclusions than anything else. 'Miami Vice' is not an unwatchable film at all but it is utterly charmless and feels sloppy at times. It also proves a polarizing force – indeed it would appear as though many detractors are mere bandwagon riders while supporters give it high grades "because it's Michael Mann" (seriously, I've read professional magazine reviews citing that). So let's just agree that this is a distinctly mediocre film.

5 out of 10

The antidote for insomnia; a two hour bland msic video montage.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
17 February 2012

Colin Farrell is Sonny Crockett, he sports a Highlander mullet and a Texas-Irish accent that provided me with the only momentary amusement in this film.

Jamie Foxx is Ricardo Tubbs, he is… black.

We are given no intro aside from what we see and hear, so that's all the first 10 minutes of Miami Vice told me.

We join the action mid way through the first quarter, Crockett and Tubbs are undercover cops on the trail of some dastardly drug dealers.

A timeout in the sting is called when a known snitch rings the boys out of the blue, begging for forgiveness for giving up information regarding other undercover agents to some white supremacist low-lives. The same white supremacist low-lives who kill said snitch's wife, and then snitch himself.

The pair then consult with their boss and are introduced to the FBI, who want them to volunteer to go undercover as fresh faces to get to the bottom of all this, as the breach in security now means no existing FBI agents can be sure of their anonymity.

Pausing only to bang a hot team member Tubbs and Crockett head down to South America where they almost immediately gain access to the nether regions of organized crime in the continent, they pose as drug transporters, thinking that it might be the quickest way to move up the chain to the kingpins of the organization.

On they go with the main aim of bringing down the whole operation and avenging the death of a scummy druggie snitch – hey that's what I was lead to believe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ OK I'm bored with this. Miami Vice actually has a plot, and the plot moves along with reasonable pace, it's just that everything is so damn serious. There are no jokes and no moments of levity, everything is totally solemn and the tension-meter is never showing less than 98%. The problem with this is that where no highs or lows exist it all gets so same-y. A chuckle here or there to break the tension would give the audience a chance to pause and recalibrate itself back into proceedings, alas this never comes.

Even the sex scenes – and there are a few – are so deadly serious and… procedural… that they lack any significance. There is no tongue in cheek jokes, no moments of levity, not even a nod to the TV series.

Even though Crockett and Tubbs move along up the line and find themselves in greater and greater peril I lost all interest, when someone finally pulled a trigger all I could think of was how long was left to go.

The authenticity of the various accents – aside from Farrell's, which was less authentic than it was hilarious – meant that I really could have used subtitles for some dialogue, (subtitles that I know are available on DVD, but with 16 different languages it is more a pain to scroll through them all for a sentence here or there than it's worth).

One last thing: EVERYTHING in Miami Vice is a music video, there are at least 15 scenes of locations, landscapes, guys getting ready, guys thinking deeply, people moving around etc, all set to loud distracting music. In a good film no probs, in a 2 hour pretentious snooze fest have one or two and then please get to the forking point.

Final Rating – 5 / 10. I thought being a smooth lady-killing cop (either black or white) infiltrating a vicious and deadly drug operation spanning two continents would at least cause a couple of laughs or involve some cool moments of action. How wrong I was.

A letdown

Author: mailingmaster from Sweden
27 April 2007

The original Miami Vice was an exiting mixture of great music, fashion and style with two great actors and amazing synergy between them. Now, Michael Mann has made a movie that lets you down in many ways. For the Miami Vice fans it's nothing but a huge disappointment: nothing of the original Miami Vice spirit is preserved. Sonny looks confused and sometimes even lost. The original Sonny was cool, raw and stylish. He was also a bohemian and was sometimes sad and depressed, but never lost. Farrell's acting is typical B class and there's no synergy between the two main actors. As for the music, fashion and style – forget about it. The new Miami Vice is dark, more vice than Miami. Conclusion: Miami Vice promises without delivering. My question is who is it for? The youth of today will find a lot better action movies, while the old fans won't find them self in this one. The original director is after all not enough to recreate the spirit of the original Miami Vice. (5 out of 10)

Lacks the vibe of a real Miami Vice this imitation is retarded

Author: dilbertsuperman from Baghdad
25 April 2007

Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrel- not my favorite actors but at least wardrobe dressed em up halfway OK for their roles but at no point in this movie will you feel like you are watching Miami vice. They could have just as easily called this movie anything- the link to being Miami vice is thin at best.

Camera is held shakily for some scenes for that indie feel- another retarded swipe by Hollywood- hey Hollywood what we like about the indie films is not the camera shake but the plot and the content!! Idiots.

The acting is about as abysmal and unconvincing and usually just downright annoying as it comes. Supporting roles are horribly cast and acted woodenly and calling this an amateurish train wreck of Hollywood action retardation would be about right.

PLOT: Two people posing as Miami vice legends try to cash in on the brand recognition of the name- they don't deliver the goods and you will want to slap them by the end of the movie. Our daring duo needs to investigate a super criminal- prostitution, drugs, guns, you name it- he's in it at a super high level- our daring duo to the rescue- absolutely the worst acting ever.

A rare misfire from Michael Mann

Author: thirdi from United States
21 April 2007

I am a huge fan of Michael Mann movies in general. I thought "Collateral", "The Insider" and earlier films like "Last of the Mohicans" were fantastic. And his crime opus "Heat" is an absolute masterpiece. So when I heard Mann was revisiting Miami Vice, with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx no less, I figured it was sure to be a home run. No such luck.

While the movie has a bit of edge-of-your-seat drama, and a few good action scenes, overall I felt this was an unfocused misfire from Mann. There seems to be little or no chemistry between Farrell and Foxx, and even less between other characters. Gong Li was miscast in my humble opinion, and Justin Theroux (a great actor) goes virtually unused. John Ortiz is one of the few high points, giving a truly creepy and menacing performance.

I could get into a detailed analysis of the plot, style, acting and so forth but that's been done to death in these comments. The bottom line is the movie is basically all story, and no character. Which sometimes can be okay, but not when the story is a generic "let's go undercover and bust a drug cartel" plot. When you're dealing with a general idea that's been done a million times, you need characters to make it rise above. Unfortunately Michael Mann wasn't able to accomplish that with Miami Vice.