IMDb > Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Another Petty Nihilist Hits the Jackpot

Author: Joel from Venice, CA
15 November 2005

50 Cent is decidedly no mere circus performer; unlike him, circus performers possess real talent. Yet, while his musical talent is certainly nil, it would be a mistake to argue that he therefore altogether lacks talent. In fact, 50 - very much like the legions of other gangster rappers - possesses great talent: the talent of a virtuoso con artist. 50 is banking on a pandemic of cataclysmically cheapened tastes - in other words, on the very aesthetic decline that made these other blissfully unconscious con artists rich. This extraordinary, innate ability to identify and exploit today's mass degeneration of taste is a truly supreme talent - a talent reaching to the very depths of cynicism. 50's nihilistic celebration of the meaningless and absurd is, of course, very "postmodern," very fashionable. As such we'll doubtless continue to skip and whistle our way to oblivion. Yes, 50 Cent is a joke. Unfortunately, the joke is on us.

As for this "film", I for one believe that if something's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well. So just as it's impossible for me to get excited over a spectacular tattoo, a gold chain, or the latest cutting-edge developments in nose-piercing technology, I have trouble taking seriously anything having to do with 50 cent. He is a thug, a petty nihilist, and a symptom of cultural decline. Nothing more.

I am a black man, and 50 Cent in no way represents me or anyone I know. I think it's shameful the way he's plastered up all over town. What he represents is the worst that our culture has to offer.

It isn't *that* bad.

Author: katyiana from United Kingdom
18 January 2006

I don't see why everyone has such a problem with this movie - I thought it was okay, it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, and it didn't have the best acting ever, but it certainly wasn't the worst movie ever.

The ending wasn't too good, but the movie wasn't too shabby, the storyline was good and it proved to keep me entertained for the full two hours. I learnt a lot about 50 cent during the movie, even though I'm not a fan of rap and/or 50 cent himself, I still enjoyed it.

The movie gives you inspiration, if 50 cent can go through a lot and come out of it a billion dollar rapper at the end, it makes you think that you could probably do something on the same level.

You don't have to like rap and/or 50 cent to enjoy this movie and read into it. If you enjoyed the trailer, don't let the bad reviews put you off, that's what I did, yet I liked the movie.

This film is underrated!

Author: mikeb_clifton from United Kingdom
10 July 2006

I have read through all of these comments, and am astounded at the amount of negativity towards it. I cannot believe that any film within the IMDb database can be voted as 1 out of 10, thats just stupid. Alrite, i agree its not an Oscar winning film, but I enjoyed it! OK, 50 cent's acting is brilliant, but he pulls it off! The film boasts a reasonable story based on his life, and to be honest it wasn't amazing, but it was generally enjoyable! Lost's Mr Eko played his character well, as did Terrence Howard! And Bill Duke, as the Ghetto Godfather is astoundingly brilliant! 8 Mile was a good film, and this is as good! So please, ignore the negative views and watch this film!!!!

Think Outside of the Box

Author: seitanicvegan from United States
5 October 2006

I watched this movie for one reason: Terrence Howard. As always, Howard is brilliant. The other performances are solid, including Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson who, for people who don't seem to understand this, plays himself. (If 50 Cent were to "act", as some maintain, then he would not be portraying his true self, and the entire movie would self-destruct into a moot point.) The camera shots, angles, and lighting are superb, the dialog is genuine, and the plot line is believable. But this is not run-of-the-mill Hollywood fare. There is no seamless stream of canned emotional music to fill in the gaps for underactive imaginations. There are no handy-dandy humor scenes for fluffy feel-good filling. There are no flat characters to artificially ease the main character into some orchestrated epiphany. There isn't even really a hero. There is only a man who is trying to live as best as he can in a self-serving world, a man who finds a measure of strength even as he runs from his fears. In order to truly appreciate the message that this movie has to offer, you have to think outside of your comfortable movie-watching box. This movie is gritty, powerful and raw. This movie makes no excuses. This movie is about as close as the big screen can get to portraying real life. No, it's not a pleasant movie. Neither is life.

Get Rich or Die Trying'

Author: vc152000 from Canada
12 November 2005

This movie is doomed for poor reviews. In real life, 50 is the protégé of Eminem, and now he decides to do a movie based on his life at the same point in his career as Eminem did. The funny thing is, it's a good movie. I am a fan of this genre of music in small doses, but i have no personal crush on 50 cent and I found this movie intriguing. 50 didn't wreck any scenes. In fact, he was similar to eminem in this role, never looking out of place or forcing anything. As previously mentioned, there are so many 50 bashers and people who feel rappers have no right to be in the movie industry, that the voting for this movie wont actually represent the general population who aren't biased before seeing a movie. And lastly, I have no clue how this movie promotes drugs. 50 takes nine bullets and barely lives cause of it, the one drug kingpin is killed and the other doing life behind bars. Not to mention the fact that his friend is put in a wheelchair and that earlier in the film when u see Marcus with Dangerous, an addict comes up all messed up handing change to one of the dealers. This is reality of drug wars, its not glamorizing it.

BLOODY Awful

Author: jeremevr6 from United States
8 November 2005

50 Cent should fake his death after this 2 hour embarrassment.

It is 100% pile of steamy crap with corn and flies. The script was if it was written by someone in the third grade.

The acting was deafeningly stale. The scene with the knifefight in the steamy shower slipping on soap was worthy of being left on the cutting room floor.

It went on and on and on.

Boring and more boring and wait! Even more boring still.

I am embarrassed for rap music after seeing this.

I want my DMC and Public Enemy.

He looks like the missing link.

Author: selfishbastid from United States
21 November 2005

I have nothing personal against 50 Cent, don't buy his records, kind of view him as a flash in the pan. But after being saturated with his face for the past 3 years I figured, why not see what all the hype is about...yeah his "music" is bubble-gum wannabe gangster rap that couldn't hold a candle to the originators of the genre...(i.e. N.W.A.,Schooly-D,etc.) The music will be forgotten in 5 years time...so maybe the movie will give him some validity, let's see if he can act. BAD MOVE, this guy makes DMX look like Sidney Poitier. The whole movie is the classic template, just plug in a one gear, multi-millionaire so-called rap artist. It just wasn't entertaining, I wasn't expecting the Godafther, but jeez...what a waste. So many other movies, steeped in hood reality have delivered far more...Menace 2 Society and Boyz N' The Hood all the way back to Cooley High. Hopefully the relatively dismal box office receipts will keep this guy out of the movies so he can concentrate on selling dull, bland pop music to the mouth breathing masses who hail him as the king of the streets.

Not the greatest movie of all time, but worth seeing

Author: Ben Phillips (bcphilli) from New Orleans, LA
13 November 2005

The criticism of this film reminds me of that received for Jarhead. People said Jarhead was not a war movie, and the Get Rich or Die Trying had to little to do with rap. My question is, why doesn't this make it a bad film? And to make one last comparison, this film way out did anything 8 Mile attempted (much more of a social critique).

The strength in this film is derived from it's black and white presentation of the "dope game" and how for fifty it was either sleep in a cellar, or buy a Mercedes. Sheridan did a good depiction of how selling drugs is an easy escape, a way to make you feel like a man. The best and most powerful scene in this film is when someone slips a razor blade in his solitary cell in order for him to kill himself. He remarks, "I thought about it". I also enjoyed the non-romanticized violence, and how the drug game was not altogether glorified.

The downfall of this film is it's over dramatized scenes, and it may be a little to long, however, a good critique of Black Urban society, and well worth your 8 dollars.

Holy CRAP

Author: lovadoll from Canada
17 November 2005

Awful just awful.Let's begin with the sad acting by none other than 50 cent.He has got to be the worst actor in the world and only made this film suck more.The brutal story and sickening dialogue shows you just how much effort 50 cent put into this load of garbage.Fans of 50 cent will flock to the theatre to see this but i don't even think this crap will satisfy them.This movie is just a vulgar piece of crap with a bad story,bad acting,and no creativity.This just goes to show you how much talent 50 cent has,absolutely none.I can only see this movie as something to make money off of due to the large popularity of 50 cent as a rapper.There is no chance in hell anyone put any thought into this and i will never watch this again.Get rich or die trying is a horrendous excuse for a movie that isn't even worth 50 cents.

Great Movie

Author: CyberMerge from United States
18 November 2005

This movie got a lot of bad ratings from many reviewers. I saw the movie recently and thought it was great. It wasn't an Oscar winning movie but it got me on the edge of my seat. The movie is very similar to Eminems 8 Mile, as in it shows little reference to the artists life.The name is different but it shows some similarty to Curtis '50 Cent' Jacksons life.The movie has action,drama,gang fights,romance, and a whole lot more. This is definitely a movie you should go see when you want to see a good movie. Some may say 50 cent is a sell out with a movie and a video game coming out in the same month,but I personally think he is doing a good job. A great movie to see if your a 50 cent or rap fan.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]