« Prev | 16 of 23 Episodes | Next »

A murder whose investigation takes Lynley and Havers to the House of Lords

Author: joyteach1 from United Kingdom
18 September 2005

This is my favourite of the four episodes shown on the BBC in the UK 2005.

Well-produced, with interesting indoor and outdoor locations and an excellent script.

SPOILER AHEAD : Mark Greig's script leaves us wondering what else was behind the crime, which was only partially solved, and whether we shall be seeing any more of the characters and whether the other wrongdoers will ever be caught and punished.

This was extremely cleverly done.

As usual, we see movement and changes in the lives of the main characters. Barbara has moved house without telling us. We need an eagle eye to see that she now lives somewhere else.Lynley hears news of Helen and displays mixed feelings.

Lynley investigates at the House of Lords

Author: blanche-2 from United States
7 September 2012

Nathanial Parker and Sharon Small star in a fourth season episode of the Inspector Lynley series, "The Seed of Cunning," from 2005. After a doorkeeper is found floating in the Thames with his hands tied behind his back, DI Lynley and partner Havers start questioning people. Turns out the victim had problems with gambling, but before any conclusion can be drawn, there's another murder.

Suspects abound here, and the problem eventually centers around a committee due to make a determination about missile defense to buy, the American or the European, and an old school chum of Lynley's is head of the committee.

As usual, the detectives' personal situations mix with the professional. I've watched these out of order, so imagine my surprise when I found out that at this point, Lynley has married Helen (I always thought he could do better) but they are separated and he can't find her. Havers is meeting men through a dating service.

Very good episode in a wonderful series. A hunky leading man always helps, but the scripts truly are good.

Interesting segment of the Inspector Lynley Mysteries...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
28 August 2007

Nathaniel Parker and Sharon Small do their detective work in a nice episode, well scripted and developing a clever story with a good amount of suspense as the action moves to The House of Lords after a man's dead body is found floating in the Thames. Aptly titled: The Seed of Cunning, it's well worth a watch.

Several interesting and highly suspicious suspects keep the detectives in the dark until the last twenty minutes when plot developments happen at a fast pace. Turns out that three of the people at The House of Lords are responsible for the death of a doorman that has something to do with the smuggling of documents involving a government deal to award America a contract on a business deal over the U.K.

Crisp direction, photographed with visual style in grand settings, indoor and out, with the posh look of a Grade A movie.