IMDb > Four Brothers (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Four Brothers

Four Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 35: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Good entertainment - violent, dramatic and witty in parts

Author: leeballen from United Kingdom
18 October 2005

Good movie, and deserves a solid 7. From the first to the last scene the movie kept you engrossed, with the 4 brothers excellently casted, in a movie about loyalty and revenge. These are brothers you would not want to get the wrong side of.

The movie moves along with the generally fearless and ruthless brothers (and also witty), seeking out a rampage on underground Detroit in order to find out who killed there adopted sweet mother. Meeting some bad guys along the way, including the ruthless gang lord Victor Sweet, the movie contains some excellent scenes, including an excellent car chase in the snow.

Four Reasons Why This Movie is Good

Author: T1Thousand from Miramar, FL
18 August 2005

All right, how many of us would actually expect a movie like this to be good or above average? I mean, many urban flicks or street revenge types are usually just average, so-so. But this, I must say, is a good one. The story was catching enough as it is. It might be typical or mindless at times, but it has its funny moments, its tense moments, and parts where you will be at the edge of your seat. There is really not much bad to say about this movie except that maybe the end could have been better and certain parts could have been delivered differently. But there are four reasons (perhaps more) why this movie is good--four main reasons at that. The first one is already mentioned--about the story being catching and so on. The second reason is because in this movie you get a feel of how close these brothers really are, regardless of their differences of race. You see them together as a family and act like everyday brothers when they're not out beating people up. And with that said, the third reason is how convincing the actors are, especially Wahlberg. I have seen him in plenty of movies, but now I think I will see him as the bad boy, hot-headed Bobby from this. He did a very well job as did the rest of the cast. The final reason why this movie is good is because it stays to what it is. It does not stray, suddenly become an intense drama or overly done comedy, etc. I think you know where I'm going here. This movie stays as what it is supposed to be--an urban revenge flick. Other movies like this take whole different route and stray from the story. I was afraid this would do the same, especially when it started explaining why everything happened. But I am happy to say that I am not disappointed. If you are into these types of movies, I'm sure you will feel the same. It was not bad at all =)

7/10 Stars

Excellent Movie!

Author: is_everybody_going_crazy32 from United States
16 August 2005

Four Brothers is about 4 adopted brothers (two black, two white) who's mother is shot at the beginning of the movie. The brothers have separated and gone on to do different things. Bobby Mercer, who's hot-headed and doesn't think before his actions, played professional hockey for a while before getting thrown out for being too rough; Jeramiah Mercer, who stayed in Detroit and runs a good business and has a family; Angel Mercer, who's a complete play boy; and the youngest Jack Mercer, who went on to become a rock star. When they discover their mother has been killed, the four brothers come together for the first time in years to avenge her death.

This movie stars Mark Wahlberg in his best performance that I've seen, Andre' Benjamin who proves he is a true actor, Tyrese Gibson in his perfect character roll, and Garrett Hedlund, who is definitely the breakthrough actor of the year (in my opinion).

I was completely taken by surprise when I saw this movie. It's everything that someone would expect when going to see a movie of this genre. It's got a powerful story, and has an incredibly strong script...probably one of John Singleton's best movies. The actors in this movie know what their doing, and make you feel a real connection with each character. After I walked out of this movie I couldn't stop thinking about the storyline and how each of the actors portrayed their characters. I do not suggest this movie to younger kids at all, because there's way too much violence and language...but I would say, if you can handle watching 8 mile, you are definitely mature enough to watch this, and I highly recommend it.

Question about the security deposit box *Spoiler*

Author: scrappymcintyre from United States
22 August 2005

First of all, I want my money back. This movie was awful. I almost puked when Marky Mark said "don't die on me you fairy". I was completely unable to build a relationship with any of the characters. They were all thugs. I thought the dialogue was too cute and peppy for the tone they were trying to portray. They didn't show enough back story for the characters to justify what they did in the end. The scene at the dinner table where they all see the dead lady was almost laughable. I have one question though: What was the significance of 2 of the brothers having adoption papers/birth certificates? I never did figure that out.

Not Worth Your Time or Money

Author: undeaded07 from United States
21 August 2005

Throughly mediocre action movie. Everything is badly over-dramatized, and the plot tries to be layered, but just ends up messy. It redeems itself slightly with a few witty cracks, however in the end it seems like a bad adaptation of a video-game onto the silver screen. The actors do a fairly decent job considering what they've been given to work with, but Mark Wahlberg's character (Bobby Mercer) is so over the top that no acting job can save him. He seems to be a bad clone of Samuel L. Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction - minus everything that made him so great. The action scenes themselves deliver what they promise - if not particularly well. Many of the action scenes seem rather tacked on, and the actually contents of them is often so unrealistically stupid that it's hard to get sucked in.

unbelievably bad

Author: ravinder-chutti from United Kingdom
2 February 2007

what a total load of rubbish. it was like watching a car crash you know its bad but you can't help but watch. I mean the script is so poor the actors tried but with one arm tied behind your back what can a man do. How many people can you kill before the police get even slightly interested. The bad guy he was so contrived why didn't he just walk around with a placard saying I'm a bad person. The shoot up scene at the end was incredibly bad, for what seemed like half the film guns were being fired at the house, people getting killed and at the end of it all with a body count like it was in Iraq. The cops finally turned up it was put down to self defense ha ha

not my kind of movie

Author: MLDinTN from TN
18 January 2007

I didn't really care much for this film. I found it sort of boring with unnecessary violence. The story was slow and not thrilling for a supposed murder mystery. Four adoptive brothers solve the mystery behind there mother's death; it was more than a convenience store robbery. It was a planned murder. There's a lot of shooting and a totally unnecessary girlfriend for one of the brothers. She adds nothing to the film. And some how a dirty cop gets thrown into the mix.

And Mark Wahlberg is not looking his best. They got his hair all oily looking and slicked back. Not a great look. But Tyrese is as hot as usual.

FINAL VERDICT: I was bored and don't recommend it.

Am I taking crazy pills?

Author: imdb-14983 from DC, United States
2 August 2006

Am I popping crazy pills?? Am I the only one that noticed that this was a bad movie??? Where is the morality? Where's the lesson? Where's the good acting and air-tight plot??? I didn't expect to have to think much when I started this movie, but when the holes in the plot open up, they swallow up almost-good scenes. I swear that Mark Walberg must have showed up to the set, read the lines over once, and then John Singleton wasn't paying attention when his delivery was contrite-- "PRINT!!! Great job, Mark!" If you like movies that suck and you like watching them drunk out of your mind, then rent or buy this movie. Otherwise, I'd stay away.

Don't do it...

Author: sjevons from United Kingdom
21 March 2006

That's 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back. I watched Four Brothers without knowing anything about it which usually minimises the risk of being seriously disappointed...but not in this case. The acting was terrible, the script and direction laughable, and who the hell is this Garrett Hedlund character? The film was bad anyway but he was seriously miscast - a relative of Singleton perhaps? Chiwetel Ejiofor is an excellent actor with a number of awards under his belt - what was he doing in this film? I know when a film seems bad to me when either I am moved to write a comment or I couldn't care less whether the main characters make it to the end of the film or not. And Four Brothers fulfilled both those criteria. Really, give it a miss.

Boring, slow paced.

Author: sir-richard-1 from Australia
19 January 2006

I found this movie quite boring. Frankly I am surprised at the rating of it here at IMDb. I don't believe it is worthy of the average rating it received here. Its the first time a movie with that high an IMDb rating has not been worth watching.

It seemed like a B+ grade TV movie, not a real movie. Some OK acting. One OK action scene. But all pretty average all up.

Drawn out. A few good bits, but not worth the time as there was too much slow, boring parts in between.

I would not recommend it to anyone. It had no redeeming features worth spending the time needed to fully watch it.

I say go watch something else - whilst this is watchable, its certainly nothing special.