IMDb > Four Brothers (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Four Brothers

Four Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Death Wish In Da Hood

Author: jimbo-53-186511 from United Kingdom
13 December 2016

After their mother is killed at a convenience store by an 'organised' gang four brothers make it their mission to avenge their mother's death by taking out those responsible for her death.

Four Brothers is another revenge film offering a slight variation of the Death Wish Formula. This results in a very uneven film that produces both good and bad results...

The film begins promisingly with a fairly dramatic opening sequence but after this impressive opener the film seem to trundle along in fits and starts. I realise that some character development is necessary - in this instance I'm talking about our protagonists being introduced to the audience, but I felt that too much time was spent on this aspect of the story and it probably didn't help that I didn't feel that much of a dynamic existed between the 'brothers.'

Hokey character dynamics aside I still found it hard to overlook the story in itself. As revenge films go there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but at the same time it isn't particularly exciting and does very little to get the blood racing or adrenaline flowing. There is a sub-plot involving one of the brother's getting into bed (metaphorically speaking) with the gang leader, but this aspect of the story is rather uninteresting.

The film does have some good points; I thought that some of the set-pieces and action sequences were good and I thought that Chiwetel Ejiofor stole the show as the main villain. Rather than beat his men to a pulp for disobeying him he'll ask them to eat food from the floor or go and sit at a table with a bunch of kids. Nearly all of the scenes with him were great and the over the top way that he played his character meant that he was a lot of fun to watch. The supporting cast were all OK too although Sofia Vergara's '2 reasons' for being in the film become clear from a very early stage.

Four Brothers isn't a terrible film, but it's hard not to look at it and feel a little bit disappointed. On the whole I just found it average and rather unmemorable.

Two black, two white. To avenge their mother, they must unite.

Author: Gavin Henderson
26 October 2016

Four Brothers is definitely my favorite Mark Wahlberg movie ... well that or Boogie Nights ... no, definitely Four Brothers. It's essentially a tale of four guys both black and white, raised as brothers by their adopted mother. The brothers find themselves reunited when their mother is killed in a store robbery gone wrong, which turns out to have been planned, and a mission of action, blood and unexpectedly humour ensues. The cast is lead with Wahlberg, Tyrese Gibson, Garrett Hedlund and Andrè Benjamin playing the brothers, Fionnula Flanagan playing their mother, Terrence Howard and Josh Charles taking the supporting roles and Chiwetel Ejifor playing the role of the villain. And to be honest with a fantastic cast, a nice and comfortable plot and a great gritty feel to It all, I can't understand why Four Brothers is as underrated as It is. It's one of my favorite films of the 2000's, sure It's not perfect and the acting isn't exactly Oscar worthy but It's enjoyable, memorable and just a great film. Particular highlight when It comes to the brothers has got to be in Marky Mark's favor as I feel like this is actually the first role he took on since Dirk Diggler where the part could only be played as well by him (look I loved The Departed, but his role wasn't exactly stellar in it) and with an actor who is considered to be so so most of time It's refreshing to see him so at ease in a role. And in the end Wahlberg's performance is just one of the things that makes Four Brothers that much more enjoyable.

Solid crime thriller (with some humor)

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
31 October 2015

"Four Brothers" is a 108-minute movie from 10 years ago that was written by David Elliot and Paul Lovett, bot not really that prolific, but they did a good job here. Same can be said about director James Singleton, only that he has made films for many years, also at this point already and scored 2 Oscar nominations for Boyz n the Hood back in the early 90s. And just like in that one, the cast in this film is predominantly black as well. However, there are exception such as Mark Wahlberg who plays the main character and the very young, truly unknown Garret Hedlund. Also in it are Tyrese Gibson, Chiwetel Ejiofor and André Benjamin. The latter is singer from the pretty great band Outkast. He certainly held his own very well here against all these professional actors, which is especially impressive as his character is actually one of the biggest and most significant of the movie.

The plot is as follows: An old lady gets killed during a store robbery and her 4 sons are out for revenge. They run into good and bad cops and the main antagonist who is surrounded by many henchmen and contract killers. Oh yeah i forgot to mention Terrence Howard and Josh Charles ("The Good Wife") earlier. They also play their parts very well. Do not look for realism or real greatness in this movie. It's a nice revenge tale, but it's not too realistic. Still this wasn't a problem for me as it was mostly a fun watch with nice character elaborations and an interesting story. The ending may be a bit too over the top in terms of how everything looked bad for the title characters, but they manage apparently easily to get out of this mess. Really solid watch and I recommend this movie. Quite a lot of talent in here and that does not only include the cast. thumbs up.

Six Reasons to See It.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
3 September 2015

Four Brothers (2005): Dir: John Singleton / Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Tyrese Gibson, Andre Benjamin, Garrett Hedlund, Terrence Howard: Family is the theme of this film although vengeance certainly plays a factor as four adopted brothers (two white, two black) return home for their mother's funeral after she was murdered during a robbery. They seek justice and vengeance setting out to solve the case themselves. Unfortunately revenge seems to be the norm yet the screenplay details their search and establishes the bond that unites them. Directed by John Singleton who often makes films about urban society with violent undertones as he did with Baby Boy and Boyz N the Hood. Mark Wahlberg heads the cast returning with a bad reputation and a taste for vengeance. Tyrese Gibson is superb as the brother involved with a feisty Spanish woman. Andre Benjamin is a family and business person. Garrett Hedlund plays the gay brother seeking refuge in music. Their anger is understandable and their desire for justice seems to be a never ending plea even in reality but when revenge plays a factor a film risks the wrong sort of entertainment delivery and warps any potential message. Other roles are standard issue from the investigating cops warning the boys, to the villain who will get pummeled in due time. In the end this film is well made but its take on revenge sidelines a bond between brothers. Score: 6 ½ / 10

Good all round revenge flick

Author: Emerald Reprobates from Ireland
8 July 2015

Four brothers is a good by the numbers action movie with just enough story and character development to keep you interested and the right amount of twists/red herrings to make it smart but never trying to be to clever. The movie follows the seemingly random killing of a sweet old woman who just happens to have fostered four of the biggest f**k up hard men you could imagine. As the brothers look into the circumstances of her death they realize her death was not random but orchestrated and covered up by gangsters and cops alike. This movie was never going to trouble the Oscar committee but its a solid 109 minutes of action/revenge movie. featured on Emerald Reprobates pod-cast episode 60

Not Without Flaws but Feisty Street Level Revenge Flick

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
3 September 2014

A Movie of Many Tones from Extreme Emotionalism to Visceral Outbursts of Street Level Violence, this Band of Brothers are a Racial and Sexual Orientation Mix of Odd Fellows in Detroit's Dead End Community of Working Class Misfits and Perpetually Falling Snow.

Obviously, this has a Cold Feel to it Despite the Many inclusions of Family and Brotherly Love. There are some Missteps like the Basketball Game that comes off as Ludicrous. The Acting is Fine but the Latino Female Character and Her Constant Loud Mouth Yelling and Confrontations with the Brother are Grating and Over the Top.

The Revenge Element is Handled with Reckless Abandon that Sometimes Works just Fine, Like the Scene in the Project with Attack Dogs and an Escape Attempt that is Bone Crushing. The Car Chase is Refreshingly Different, but Sometimes the Gun Wielding Swagger can be a Bit too Much to Take.

Director John Singleton Seems to be on His Game here and is at Home with the Homeys. Mark Wahlberg doesn't Mumble Much but the Marbles in the Mouth are Evident in a Couple of Scenes. The Movie is an Above Average Character Study with Plenty of Action and a Goodly Amount of Thought.

Overall a Winner for the Director and Wahlberg, but the Overrated Terrence Howard got most of the Awards and Critical Attention as a Cop with Connections to the Family. A Picture with a lot More Pathos than Most Movies of This Type. Uneven but Gritty and Violent Enough to Satisfy its Goal as a Deep Discussion on Environment and Noble Intentions Buried in a Storm of Chilling Reality.

Amazing

Author: cameronedwards1993 from London, England
3 June 2014

OK before I get started I would just like to say this is a must watch film! Four Brothers is a Amazing film one of the best of all time for me the action and drama to the film is just right and it clearly shows all characters clearly without misguidance. The camera quality is clear and in HD so details are perfect. The sound quality is clear and no problems. And also the film has amazing cast which makes the film four brothers connect you to story so much more. I don't usually like to watch a film more than once but i can tell you now that this film would make me sit down and watch it anytime. You will not regret sitting down watching this film.

Look Out! It's The Po-Po They Got Cornbread!

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
8 November 2011

For the past few months some people have been asking me what my favorite film is and when I will review that film. Well since this is my 100th review I should finally come out an review it. My all time favorite movie is Four Brothers directed by John Singleton.

The film which is a semi remake of The Sons Of Katie Elder from 1967 which I have not seen is about Four Brothers Bobby Mercer played by Mark Whalberg Jerimiah Mercer played by Ander Benjamen Angel Mercer played by Tyrese Gibson and Jack Mercer played by Garret Hedlund who find out that their mother Evelyn Mercer played by Fionnula Flanagan has been shot and killed in a convenience store and the four brothers hunt for the killers to exact their revenge.

This is and always will be my favorite movie of all time. The humor is really funny the story is excellent and is a very sad but uplifting movie. This has my seal of recommendation

Rated R For Strong Violence, Pervasive Language And Some Sexual Content.

1hr 48min/108min.

76 uses of the F-word.

****/****

Mark Wahlberg in tough Detroit area leads his brothers in finding their's mom's assassin

Author: msroz from United States
21 November 2013

Well-filmed and well-acted, "Four Brothers" tells an inventive tale. The four brothers were all adopted by one mom, and she has been killed in a convenience store holdup. She spent her life with neighborhood youths, helping them to avoid delinquency and crime. The brothers, now young men, re-assemble with the idea of finding her murderers. The cops, after all, are not much good at that. Their search leads to a web of corruption and gang control.

The four brothers are sketched well. They have an interesting feature, which is one foot in violent action, but not crime, and another foot in the social ways taught to them by their mother. Consequently, their methods of finding out what happened to their mother and remedying it are unorthodox. Seeing them and their methods is what makes the film interesting and creates most of its action.

The film makes good use of snow in Detroit, and there is one car chase sequence in snow that is well done.

I would rate this about 6.5 if I could. It's a good and entertaining action-crime film, a little bit different than the usual because of the family aspects and the depictions of the four brothers.

Somewhat entertaining but oversimplified

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
22 February 2011

When I first heard about this movie I had high expectations for this movie. Especially since I thought the premise of four brothers coming together to take care of a certain cause. Mainly because the mother of the four adopted sons mother got murdered. Which happens in the trailer and the beginning of the movie. I just really didn't really like the direction and character acting in this movie. I especially didn't like the direction of the dialogue, it seemed like it was trying too hard to sound to sound tough and cool. This may work in certain movies but it just doesn't really work in this one. Even the four brothers who use to be degenerates seemed like it was planned and not genuine, even the bond between the brothers seemed fake. In fact everything about this movie seemed forced. Even the different backgrounds between the four brothers didn't seem all that believable like it's there to just make the movie seem fresh. Which is fine, but it wasn't all that believable with the four degenerates. The most unbelievable part is how the some of the four brothers tries to act all hood they just didn't seem all that intimidating, yeah they found a new direction in life because of their mother. But the task they are trying to do, they just didn't seem all that intimidating. The characters are somewhat entertaining but not that believable. For a movie like this it would have been better if it was more dirty and gritty. Movies don't have to be realistic or believable to be entertaining, but for a movie like this it would have been better if it did go in that direction. The character decisions in some scenes were pretty stupid also. This movie really is one dimensional in a lot of ways, but some aspects of it was entertaining.

6.4/10