IMDb > Four Brothers (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Four Brothers

Four Brothers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 35: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Awesome movie, did expect it to be as good as it was.

Author: sweetmik from United States
22 July 2005

Went to see a preview of it two nights ago, and was presently surprised with it.

Very good movie. Despite the fact that it's about four brothers avenging their mothers death, there is a lot of humor in it. The brothers give each other sh*t all the time, but you can tell they love each other. Mark Whalberg (sp?) did a good job, but i think my favorite character was Jackie, played by Garrett Hedlund. There was a lot of action, a lot of violence, very graphic, but it was well done and believable. Not exactly a movie for children, but it's a family movie. All in all, it's very funny and uplifting (towards the end), but very sad.

Poor

Author: ianmcca from United Kingdom
22 May 2009

Not even pass marks for this. So 4 rehabilitated youths gone wrong suddenly revert to killing and firing guns all over a town. I know their step mum got murdered but it just doesn't gel. The way they go from bad boys to good boys then back to bad boys without a second thought is so unreal. The script is weak and poor. No matter how many bullets are flying or people are killed no one seems to phone the police. The brothers flash guns whenever it pleases - even in a school gym hall when a basketball is in full fling, but no one runs for cover. Sure there is plenty of action. But it's a disappointing and dumb movie.

Poor acting and a stupid story

Author: tupolevs from Sweden
2 August 2007

Pretty often a bad movie has a bad rating on this site after enough people have seen it. This is not the case with some of the really bad action movies, especially the ones that contain some decent action but besides from that are completely worthless.

This is the case with Four brothers, the story makes no sense, and the acting is very poor. Usually I am one of those that has to finish watching a movie no matter how bad it is, just to see if it might not improve somewhat, but this movie was so bad that I actually had to turn it of halfway in. And no, I am pretty sure it did not get any better.

(For the record, I did not even turn of "the stone merchant" (for those of you who have seen it), but painfully watched the full movie the other day. Something which surely must tell you how bad a movie must be before I turn it off.

outstanding!

Author: shrek ogre
20 March 2014

there has to be more movies like this! the perfect blend of ice cold crime yet a subtle heartfelt moment in which 4 brothers stick together at the worst of times. I could not possibly turn away from my TV when watching this as i was so indulged by the movie plot. i believe this really touch's on the hardships of life and reminds us about the things we take for granted, like our friends and family who are always there to support us,therefore i am giving this a well and truly earned 10 out of 10, a movie with crime, action and above all... emotion thank your for taking your time to read this and i hope this helps you to sum up an overall description of this movie, i would very highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great movie.

I adore this movie

Author: TrueEssence from United States
7 April 2013

I cannot for the life of me figure out just why I haven't reviewed this yet. But here goes.

I've always loved this movie. I think I really wanted to watch it when I did is because I had a huge crush on Garrett Hedlund when I was in high school. So I was determined to watch everything he was in. Anyway, you have four adopted brothers Bobby (Mark Wahlberg), Jeremiah (Andre Benjamin), Angel (Tyrese), and Jack (Garrett Hedlund) who return home after the mysterious death of their mother. Now when I say mysterious, it was cold blood but we just don't know why exactly they killed her. We meet them though Officer Green's (Terrence Howard) description of them to his new partner. It turns out they each have some sort of negative connotation but who cares? lol

The story: The story is elaborate and can get a bit confusing. Even to this day I find myself always trying to pay close attention to figure out just what the problem Victor Sweet had with Evelyn Mercer. I always know that it has something to do with her being nosy about what Jeremiah was doing and getting mixed up in, but some things can get a bit muddled and I think the initial story is a bit overshadowed by the violence/action. Especially once it is revealed that the new cop Fowler is involved. Which those things aren't bad, it just doesn't particularly help the plot, in fact, it kind of obscures it. You just have to really pay attention, the story plays out but you have to make sure you're listening and watching.

The Acting/Characters: I think they all did a great job. I think the casting was wonderfully done. The main four had great chemistry and I liked the idea of having a mixed family of black and white brothers especially since they all were bad ass. Bobby was a great character, the eldest brother who seemed to have the most issues. Jeremiah was secretive but not very discreet, Angel... the soldier, brash and Jack, the sensitive rock star baby of the family. The actors portrayed their characters very well. I thought the relationships were fleshed out well. I mean, say what you want about the story but these four were the heart and when Jack dies... (I cry always), it really makes them rethink what they're doing. I loved these four so much, when I first saw the movie, being the writer that I am, I wrote a back story to each one. We don't know really anything about their past, the moment when they have flashback memories at the dinner table was a great scene. That is when we can see how three of the four brothers remember their mother and Jack's moment with her is most compelling (even compared to Bobby's scene at the end of the movie).

Overall: I've always loved this movie. The action is great, the humor is funny, the characters are likable and unlikable if supposed to be, the acting is good, the soundtrack is freaking AH-MAZ-ING and it's worth a watch.

Better than expected...

Author: Andy Steel
31 March 2013

The plot is very slow after the initial murder of Evelyn Mercer and this may have put many off. It does, however pick up towards the middle third and by the end it has reached full throttle. The gritty realism of the story is enhanced by the winter scenes on the streets of Detroit. I can't say I was overly enthused by the choice of music throughout, but then it's not really my scene man. The performances were all excellent with Mark Wahlberg and Tyrese Gibson taking most of the spotlight, but I thought nobody put a foot wrong throughout. Over all a gritty realistic and sometimes brutal revenge thriller. Maybe a little too slow for some in the beginning but the pace does pick up (I promise).

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.2/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

Four adopted brothers search for their mother's murderer.

Author: John Cloutier from United States
17 May 2012

This is an excellent action movie with a solid storyline. These are characters that you care about and there is some terrific action from John Singleton. The evening car chase in the snowy streets of Detroit is a classic. This movie is highly underrated. All four of the "brothers" are excellent in their roles. The villain is really twisted and the conclusion is quite satisfying. In my experience, people who dislike action movies like this film. But it also satisfies the need for plenty of action. You will get into the story and root for the brothers. There are some very humorous aspects to the brothers' relationships with one another as well and some very interesting plot twists. Mark Wahlberg is at the top of his game. The theme song is "Trouble Man" by Marvin Gaye which fits perfectly. Check it out !

Good Revenge Flick

Author: Bob Ketchum from Wilmington, DE
20 April 2012

Four adopted brothers return to Detroit after their adoptive mother gets killed during a convenience store hold up. Turns out the seemingly random act of violence was anything but random and the four brothers (two white, two black) must come together to find out the truth behind their mother's death and take revenge against those responsible. Great acting jobs by Andre Benjamin, Tyrese Gibson and Garrett Hedlund as three of the four brothers. Sofia Vergara provides lovely visuals. The Motor City looks as gritty as it ought to be. Wahlberg turns in yet another performance where he's not really forced to show any real acting chops -- just mostly scowl, toss off a few one-liners and kick butt and take names later. Not that this is a bad thing, because he's quite good at what he does.

Truly amazing

Author: sad-eyed-angel from United States
28 July 2011

Let me say right off the bat, normally this would not be my kind of movie. I am strictly a romantic-comedy, buddy-cop movie screwball comedy gal all the way. Usually. But I watched this movie with a friend, and it surprised the hell out of me how much I loved it. The story is four brothers who were all adopted come home to find out exactly why their mom died. I thought it would be too violent but and while there is violence the movie is so amazing it makes up for it. The story is told beautifully and is acted wonderfully by the four leading men, and because of them and how the story is told it makes you care about them and want their sweet departed mother to be avenged. This movie never goes where you think it's going to and keeps you wondering and waiting until the very end. An extremely well put together movie, I'd recommend for anyone, even if you're not a big drama like me, cause hey, you might like it.

Surprisingly Human and Very Enjoyable for me

Author: adrien-jb from United Kingdom
16 June 2013

This movie was a big surprise for me. Sure the main central plot is about revenge - which the movie delivers on big time. But the big surprise was how the movie explores the relationships within this family of four brothers and their mother. I come from a large family and it rang very true for me. The humour, the ragging, the arguments but when push comes to shove - coming together. When family knocks on the door, you have to let them in.

I found the location, character portrayal and violence very gritty and realistic. There is no over-idealisation of life, and yet plenty of humour there too.

I found it a very satisfying mix of human and revenge, with revenge being the very good icing on a great cake.