IMDb > Four Brothers (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A confused, mediocre effort

Author: michael h from Atlanta, GA
27 April 2008

I didn't find this movie to be unwatchable or one of the worst I've seen, as many have commented on here. It's also not a brilliant piece of film making.

The characters were so stereotypical and predictable (cookie-cutter gangster, generic tough guys with hearts of gold, good cop, bad cop, crooked politician, kind old lady, fiery Latina, etc...), it was hard to develop much serious interest in any of them. I found a lot of scenes highly comical; the problem is, I wasn't sure I was supposed to be laughing. When the movie obviously tried for comic relief, I just sighed. It was during the highly "dramatic" or heart-felt scenes where I found myself laughing hysterically. The dinner table scene where each of the four brothers remembers "Mom" was so bad, it made me cringe and laugh out loud at the same time. I think this confusion persists throughout the movie. It's never clear how seriously we're supposed to take any of this.

The plot is full of gigantic holes and leaps in logic. However, movies do require a certain suspension of disbelief, so I'll let most of it slide. The characters are mere cartoons, so nothing feels real anyway. The most real thing here is the setting in Detroit. It looks gritty, cold, abandoned and dangerous. I'm sure Detroit residents weren't thrilled by the city's portrayal in this movie (although it may be at least somewhat accurate).

It's hard to judge any of the acting, because the writing and direction are so uneven and mediocre. Overall, this felt like a decent made-for-TV movie. The plot, direction and acting were on par with a predictable TV crime drama.

5 out of 10 from me. It didn't make me snooze, but I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone either.

The Four Brothers get their revenge for a price

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
10 August 2005

(Synopsis) Four adopted brothers come together to bury their mother (Fionnula Flanagan) who was killed during a grocery store robbery in Detroit. The brothers see the video tape of the robbery and believe that she was marked for death and murdered by the two thieves. The four brothers Bobby (Mark Wahlberg), Jack (Garrett Hedlund), Angel (Tyese Gibson) and Jeremiah (Andre Benjamin) want revenge. They don't think the police will find the murderers, so they start looking into the crime themselves.

(Comment) The film shows that the children of a murder victim suffer greatly after losing a loved one, and their first thought and reaction is for revenge against the criminal. You feel the chemistry and connection that these four actors have in playing their parts. Even though the four men were adopted and are of different races, you will see their love and interaction as brothers. This is an adult family movie with a lot of humor, action and realistic brutality. The storyline has it all, a crime boss, hired killers, good and bad cops, corrupt politicians, and victims. The ending is heartening, but sad. This is a must see. (Paramount, Run time 1:48, Rated R) (8/10)

A tragedy

Author: jot2004 from United Kingdom
18 October 2005

This film only has a handful of main problems, which I shall outline below:

1) Terrible storyline 2) Terrible script 3) Terrible acting

Overall, the film was utterly abysmal, but there were a few scenes that were particularly vomit inducing. If I didn't live on the ground floor, I probably would have thrown myself out of a window whilst watching this film. Here are a few of the worst scenes:

When the brothers find out that it was an execution, and they march off down the street, with macho swinging arms. Pathetic.

All of the "dream" sequences with their mother talking to them. Cringe inducing. I almost cried for the actors having to do these scenes.

Any scene containing Marky Mark.

The fist fight at the end was embarrassing. Neither character kept their hands up, they both should have been knocked out.

The car chase. Terrible. Most cars, let alone automatics, couldn't do any of that stuff on ice.

Overall, I hated all the characters, they were terribly acted, terribly written parts, and they were all thugs.

Worst film ever (even more so than Lawnmower Man 2).

They came home to bury mom... and her killer

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
2 June 2006

''Four Brothers ''is an awesome movie who has a mixed genre: lots of Action,Drama and Thriller all together, makes a delicious movie to watch. I like Mark Wahlberg very much, so it was a pleasure to see him here,and I liked the other actors who played the other ''Mercers'' as well. (Garrett Hedlund is a cutie! And I am happy to see, here in IMDb, that he is one of the actors who are going to be present in the Eragon's movie!)

The story is quite simple: Four brothers are reunited after their mother is murdered. But they are not simple people: they are delinquents, each one having worst qualities or problems then the other. When they discover that their mother's death had more things behind that what was said, a lot of actions starts to happen!

the four horsemen of....

Author: pookey56 from Canada
22 December 2005

when John Singleton released Boyz n the Hood, i thought wow, a young, brilliant director with a future full of potential; a young genius with more exquisite films to come. Four Brothers could be the best film he's made since then, pulling great performances from Mark Wahlberg who surprised me so much in Boogie Nights, Tyrese Gibson, Andre Benjamin, Garrett Hedlund, and Terence Howard, who is always so good. And the score in his films is usually so fine. i didn't know rap qualified as music until i heard it in Boyz. And it's great here too. this film is stylish, poignant, active, and has some very clever moments. I don't think it's fair to compare this film to his others, but it is in stark contrast to the message he portrayed in his first film, that violence begets violence, that violence solves nothing, and that the worst in us has a chance at redemption. his themes of poverty, hopelessness, misdirection, and role models aren't really here. ironic, since their kindly and compassionate foster mother mentored a sense of safety, love, and acceptance in their make-shift family. instead, what we have here is a revenge film, vigilante justice, well-constructed scenes of brutality and violence. the background details were just fine, with it's fargoesque winter scenes, flash-backs, chases, and personalities, unexpected turns of events. Four Brothers is an entertaining film for adult audiences and worth a watch. but i am still waiting for Mr Singleton to make another masterpiece. This isn't it, but i'm still hoping that it's coming.

Nice action movie with tension, intrigue and violence

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
1 July 2008

This film deals with four brothers (Mark Wahlberg , Andre Benjamin, Garret Hedlund and Tyrese Gibson) . They reunite one time their mother (Fionnula Flanagan) has been murdered into a grocery store hold-up . But the happenings aren't as predictable as they might understand . Then , they come to revenge and take the law on their own hands . Meanwhile , Lieutenant Green (Terence Howard) and Lt Detective Towler (Josh Charles) are attempting to resolve the case and track down the killers and the four brothers . The investigation of the killing reveals many suspects and dark activities involving to criminal mobster (Chiwetel Esbofor) and Detroit Councilman (Barry Shakaba ), among others.

The picture packs action-packed , intrigue, thrills , and lots of violence and blood . It's an entertaining and suspenseful story, plenty of twists and unexpected turns . Excellent action scenes with noisy shoot-outs and spectacular car races . Interesting and thrilling script based on Haenry Hathaway's ¨The sons of Katie Elder¨. Cool performances by Mark Wahlberg as tough and hard-edged brother and Terence Howard as good police inspector, among them . Almost all of Mark Wahlberg's lines were improvised , Garrett Hedlund had difficulty improvising his lines, so John Singleton and Mark Wahlberg helped him through it . Furthermore , magnificent secondary cast , such as Sofia Vergara , Kenneth Welsh and Barry Shakaba . Glamorous cinematography by Peter Menzies Jr. and stirring musical score fitting to action by David Arnold . The motion picture was well directed by John Singleton . He's a nice director , his first movies were quite thoughtful and brooding (Boyz in the Hood , Poetic justice , Higher learning), but today he usually makes intelligent action films (Fast and Furious 2 , Baby boy , Shaft). The film will appeal to action lovers buffs and Mark Wahlberg fans . Rating : Better than average . Well catching .

Four times the mayhem in "Four Brothers"

Author: dee.reid from United States
2 September 2005

I have to admit "Four Brothers" is not a movie I was giddy about seeing. I didn't have really high expectations and why should I, much less you? Well, if you do have high expectations, you better lower them, because "Four Brothers" is not a deep and involving picture but is really more of a straight-forward action flick with a few sly one-liners thrown in for good measure.

There's not a single wince of brain activity throughout it, though the four "brothers" of the title (Mark Wahlberg, Andre Benjamin, Tyrese Gibson, Garrett Hedlund), explained by one character as being "total f**k-ups," do express a convincing degree of unity in that you actually believe they're related through their deceased, adopted mother Evelyn Mercer (Fionnula Flanagan).

Wahlberg is Bobby Mercer, the courageous tough-talking eldest brother and the one with a chip on his shoulder. Not surprisingly, he does the most talking and is the obvious leader. Benjamin is Jeremiah Mercer, the only one of the four to really make something of himself in that he has a legitimate business, a wife (Taraji P. Henson) and children, and the closest ties to their mother. Gibson is Angel Mercer, a (former) soldier of fortune who has the ladies (including feisty Latina Sofia Vergara), the bragging rights, and the connections. Lastly, Hedlund is Jack Mercer, the youngest and grungiest of the four who's also a wannabe rocker and had the most troublesome childhood of them all.

The four are reunited at the funeral of their dear mom, who was viciously slain in a liquor store robbery. The brothers suspect that because of the particularly heinous nature of the crime, their mother may not have been some innocent bystander but was really executed, and the robbery itself was just there to throw off the cops.

After much contemplation and not even bothering to heed the warnings of two flaky detectives (played by Terrence Howard and Josh Charles), the four go after their mom's killer. It shouldn't be any surprise that they find their mother had been inadvertently drawn into the middle of some big insurance scheme or something along those lines (it's not really all that well explained), so the brothers look to settle the score with anyone - everyone.

As directed by John Singleton (whose outstanding landmark 1991 debut "Boyz N the Hood" remains the pinnacle of his career), "Four Brothers" is loud, dumb, and violent. The plot does a little more than resemble "The Sons of Katie Elder" (1965), which I haven't seen, but I doubt it was as lacking in intelligence as "Four Brothers."

However, the movie should be praised because it is strangely appealing (the totally PC leads notwithstanding), and the action is fast and furious, culminating in an impossible car chase through the ice-slicked Detroit streets during a snowstorm. And Singleton shows he hasn't completely lost my respect in that he's a good director during these scenes and succeeds in creating a believable atmosphere of unity amongst the four brothers.

I expect this movie to be a success, since it's the last week of the summer and the August season of blockbusters has passed. But hey, it's the last week of the summer, "Four Brothers" is playing, and so don't everybody rush to the theaters. OK?

the soundtrack is by far the best part of this film

Author: jeckets from United States
25 August 2005

I was definitely looking forward to this movie, which is not hard to imagine for a John Singleton movie, especially with the cast its got. I love Mark Wahlburg, and couldn't wait to see Andre Benjamin's big screen debut, bla, bla, bla, BUT what a total disappointment! Actually those two were good, Tyrese too, but the story and dialogue were weak at best. I spent most of the movie wondering why people were doing what they were doing, why I should care about these thinly drawn, backgroundless and insubstantial characters, and who wrote that weak and chiche' dialogue that started out bad, oversimplified, and patronizing, and stayed that way. I kept wanting it to get better, and that was all that kept me from walking out before it was over.

This movie is sloppy...for example...

The opening scene in the store, does anyone find the mother's scolding words to the shoplifter believable at all? As if he'd be in there stealing one Tootsie Roll! What kid from Detroit that age would be duped by that "I'm on hold with the police" act? Why do they continue to allude to the youngest brother's "bad things in his past" but never resolve it. And for that matter they make it seem like it was some sort of sexual abuse but the guy is comfortable enough to shower in the open bathroom with people walking in and out? And if all four of them were such "lost causes" and "bad kids" and whatnot, don't they all have big issues in their pasts, why just make us aware of the one and none of the others? Where did the gun go when Tyrese goes to the cop's house, he answers the door with a gun behind his back and then when they get into the fight, he never even raises the hand where the gun is. Why? Where did it go? At the end when they're on the frozen river, driving on fresh snow in one shot and then following multiple car tracks in the next. AND when they're all standing around and the camera goes to a wide shot, WHY do you see all of those rectangular melted spots in the ice where there were obviously other vehicles parked. (production vehicles perhaps?) WHY SO THOUGHTLESS AND SLOPPY from such an otherwise quality filmmaker?

not worth a dime

Author: nereidon from Austria
21 August 2008

have seen this one the other night and i'm very disappointed to say the least. according to IMDb votes and reviews this should be at least beyond average with fine acting and a nice story. Now as i find, this movie has so many holes in its plot, one might assume the script got shot during one of the action scenes. ridiculous twists in the story, very very VERY bad sequences that are simply unbelievable and that do not make much sense in the course of action (sometimes it is like Charles Bronson's Disney) and a cast that doesn't fit together at all. Now i realize that this is an adaption of Katie Elder and that it might not be that easy to transform a wild west story into today's world, but still as a writer/director you have to take care that the story conveys some realism, otherwise it gets laughable/boring and you as a viewer can't care less for what happens to the characters. unfortunately the filmmakers failed big time here and all their trying to give their characters a life and the storyline a ground was heavily countered by their sledgehammer-style in every way. not to mention the unreflected use of violence against ANYBODY with a big smile on the face which makes the major premise of the film that the old lady did a good job raising problematic boys and changing their life to the better, a big fat lie. just do not waste your time.

Poor acting and a stupid story

Author: tupolevs from Sweden
2 August 2007

Pretty often a bad movie has a bad rating on this site after enough people have seen it. This is not the case with some of the really bad action movies, especially the ones that contain some decent action but besides from that are completely worthless.

This is the case with Four brothers, the story makes no sense, and the acting is very poor. Usually I am one of those that has to finish watching a movie no matter how bad it is, just to see if it might not improve somewhat, but this movie was so bad that I actually had to turn it of halfway in. And no, I am pretty sure it did not get any better.

(For the record, I did not even turn of "the stone merchant" (for those of you who have seen it), but painfully watched the full movie the other day. Something which surely must tell you how bad a movie must be before I turn it off.

Page 2 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]