IMDb > Ethan Mao (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ethan Mao

Ethan Mao More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

more a family movie than gay movie

Author: ginger chen
6 July 2008

it will kind of fly out of your expectation when you hold the idea at the beginning that this is a "gay" movie. it is more about family actually. All different kinds of relationship in an Asian-culturally-related family. The father and the son, the brother and the brother from the same parents, the brother and the brother from different mothers, the step-mother and son, the husband and the wife... they are all melted together here. not wild gay sex, not lots of dick, prepare for something else mentally before you put the disc into the player. And you should give urself a bit of patience the day when you decide to watch it. It is not that catchy at the first part of the movie. cheap-production, that is what i thought, however it will grow into more.

gays and straight: watch that!

Author: andrefiora from Italy
13 September 2006

original. moving. wonderful. powerful... sweet & tender. you've got to see it, absolutely! i don't have already realized if the inexperience of the protagonists (ethan & remigio) is a defect, or something that made me appreciate the movie more! but i guess i would opt for the second say, since i cried so much at the end! and i also appreciated the role of the little brother even if i would have liked him...more gay! congratulations to the director who prevented the protagonists to kiss for the whole movie...i was there saying: come on ethan, touch him, kiss him...but at the end I realized where he wanted to go! last scene: the best kiss i've ever seen on a screen. don't miss it!

The OUT boy who took hostage of his family

Author: dj6r0k3n from United States
7 October 2005

It shows gay and family aspects of love and friendship. It's not the typical Asian aspect which shows that it is really all around. It's really multi-layered in one overall meaning. The way Jerry Hernandez shows such kindness while Ethan Mao is in distress and loss of a home is very extraordinary in the fact that Ethan is shown love from others and that the friendship grown and the hostage time helps Ethan learn about the love his family has for him. The enjoyment of watching this movie on DVD is that you get the commentaries from UC Santa Cruz professor LS Kim who is part of the Digital and Film Media department.

Finally a recent decent movie with a gay theme

Author: bbnnerman from United States
6 November 2005

Almost every gay movie made has either horrible acting, bad filming, or just a crappy story. Ethan Mao was none of these...well OK here and there the acting isn't amazingg but all in all it's good. The movie is touching, sad, and makes you think outside your own boundaries (especially not being Chinese). Definitely a movie that should be seen my young gay men that feel they can't deal with being home anymore, and the realities of what can happen if you decide to leave. That said it's not the typical hustler movie that just leaves you feeling cold and depressed. I definitely recommend it...and only reason I put spoiler on here is because I have to say one of the HOTTEST guy/guy kisses (at the end) that I've EVER seen. I really good have done without seeing the old fat guys goods though! :P

The cover of the DVD case was better.

Author: seakman4 from us
25 October 2005

Saw this at the video store and thought I'd give it a try. Sounded like a good story and the cover looked good. That was it. The characters looked good, and the actor who played "Noel", was the most convincing, though he didn't have any heavy time in the movie. I find it really hard to give a movie a bad rating, but this is one, in a minute number, that gets it my book. As the movie went along I kept wanting it to get better but to no avail. Asthetically, it was good. The sound and lighting was good, but the acting in this film killed it for me. It was like watching a low grade soap opera. I just kept saying, "I can't believe they released this move like this". I paused several times out of sheer unbelief that the acting was that bad. There's so much I want to say but I'll just say this, everything else, for the most part, was good, it was the acting, as a final cut, that really did this film in.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]