IMDb > Aquamarine (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Aquamarine

Aquamarine More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

AQUALUTELY Fabulous ! :)

Author: John Hardy from South Africa
23 January 2012

I first heard about and saw Aquamarine only last year (in 2011) when it was screened on our national television :) I thoroughly enjoyed it ! :) Recently it was screened again - I watched it for the second time and relished in its innocence and magical air ! :) It has now inspired me to register with IMDb and write this review ! :) Aquamarine is one of the most FuN and entertaining movies I've experienced ! :) It is indeed a totally "adorable" movie (as other reviewers have commented), with a really cute cast, and fine natural, genuine acting which complements the mood and humour throughout :) On the surface, it appears a simple story, yet deeper messages about life are embedded - and emerge when pondered upon ! :) Aquamarine is a mysterious, feel-fabulous film that really does leave one "glowing" (as another reviewer remarked). Nothing less than a perfect ten from me :) What a lovely movie ! :)

A feel-good treat

Author: irene_woodhead from France
20 February 2011

This is an adorable little movie and it leaves a very good feeling. The filmmakers succeed in creating a very positive atmosphere -- it really transports you back into your teen days! For the duration of the film I turned 13 again and God did it feel good. The film left me feeling younger and happier for a long time, so for this alone it deserves a very high vote.

The story contained a few good and unpredictable twists -- no spoilers here, but it's well-plotted and delivers a good message. The main idea of a mermaid capable of turning into a girl at daytime is a lovely new take on traditional mermaid tales and the ending was perfectly unpredictable and uplifting. Could use more of the same!

Kinda weird in places but still nice

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
19 September 2010

Aquamarine is a 2006 fantasy flick about two teenage girls who find a mermaid in their swimming pool named you guessed it Aquamarine. She is on the lookout for love and asks the two girls to help her find a man who must love her back. She only has 3 days though so the two girls decide to hook her up with a lifeguard that they fancy. Some parts to this movie can be a bit unrealistic but having said that I liked the movie as I grew up watching The Little Mermaid and I also saw Splash which had Tom Hanks in it alongside Daryl Hannah. I always loved mermaid movies as they are nice to watch but Aquamarine was a bit weird in a way but I recommend it to those who love kids flicks and mermaids.

absolutely irresistible!

Author: shantaar-2 from United States
9 September 2010

Aquamarine is exactly what it proposes to be, a fish-out-of-water comedy. It's funny, sweet and utterly charming. Joanna Levesque and Emma Roberts play Hayley and Claire, respectively and though Roberts is clearly the more comfortable actress of the two, "jojo" is okay too! Sara Paxton plays the title character, normally the bitch or the victim, it's really nice to see her play a different role here and she makes this movie.

I love this movie more and more each time I watch it. It's pure and unpretentious and just plain fun! The three girls always feel genuine and natural together and nothing feels forced on the audience. There is some awkwardness at the beginning and end, re-writes?, but it too joyous to knock the stuff in between. We need more wonderful films like this that the whole family can truly enjoy.

There are three scenes in Aquamarine that always make me cry. 1. Jojo talking about love to Aqua on the beach. 2. When Aqua asks Raymond if he loves her and he....Well, just watch Sara's face! That's called acting people! 3. When Claire and Hayley tell Aqua they love her by the buoy. I just well up and weep. And no, I'm not an easy crier. This movie is super sweet and fun and just gets better every time I watch it. Another plus is the great music, it fits really well with the film. A special nod should go to Bruce Spence, i.e. Leonard the mis=understood maintenance man, he's the unsung hero here. Give Aquamarine a chance and keep your cynicism at the door, you'll have a great time. Aqua, Aqua, Aqua!

Above average tween schlock with plenty of genuine laughs

Author: squeezebox from United States
8 June 2010

I have to admit I liked AQUAMARINE quite a bit. My three year old is obsessed with mermaids, so it seemed like a good movie for her. There's a bit of risqué humor in it and a few mild four letter words, but for the most part it's a funny, unpredictable and fairly intelligent comedy. That it has such a low IMDb score is surprising to me.

While the movie is decidedly for older kids, most of the relatively mature subject matter went over my daughter's head. I'm sure some parents were uncomfortable at the notion of a naked girl showing off her newly discovered buttocks (even if they are blocked from view) or Emma Roberts expressing dissatisfaction with her undeveloped breasts, but my feeling is that parents are way too sensitive about the amount of sex and nudity to which their children are exposed. I thought the movie handled these moments realistically and discreetly.

The humor has a nice sarcastic bite to it to temper the more sugary moments. There's some good, unforced slapstick, surprisingly witty dialog and enthusiastic performances all around. I also like the fact that the whole movie has a fantastic, dream-like feel to it. It makes it feel like a true modern-day fairy tale.

While it is no SPLASH, it's still a fun little movie that I think I could watch again at my daughter's request. Finding a kids' movie that isn't brain dead is rare; then again, you could say that about quite a lot of Hollywood's output, kids' movie or not.

Far better than Disney's princess movies

Author: paganinio ThankyouSO from China
15 October 2009

There is no materialism, hollowness and such, which Hannah Montana and Suite Life are full of. The actresses all have a fresh and friendly feel to them. It is very hard to make people (such as my daughter :) ) jealous of the characters' good looks -- because they're so nice. Writing is very enjoyable, with quality dialogs (in the style of early Smallville seasons), and many twists along the way. As a parent, I hope they make more teen movies like this -- entertain and teach good values at the same time. An excellent movie for a sunny summer afternoon.

Just FYI, not every Disney princess movie sucks. The Princess Diary series (as well as the theme song "Breakaway") are very encouraging. But Disney really has gone downhill in recent years, their sitcoms being the best proof. I believe that after you watch Aquamarine, you will be able to tell the good kids/family movies from the bad ones.

Cutesy Aquamarine Saved By Better Than Expected Ending

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
20 July 2009

Aquamarine is one of those movies where one doesn't expect much going into the theater. The film starts out excruciating and annoying in its girly girlishness. Tween pop sensation Jo Jo Levesque and Emma Roberts star as tweens fascinated by, what else, boys and prancing around on the beach in summer. The girls are no match for a queen bee and her cohorts who are aiming for the same male lifeguard as they. Insert plot point: mermaid gets washed ashore during storm and befriends two tween girls. As a result, fun and adventure ensues. Sara Paxton plays the mermaid who must link up with the same said lifeguard in order to experience human love...or receive an acknowledgment of such. Things were a little hazy in that department. Levesque and Roberts work well with each other, and Roberts is especially good in her role as the shy, sensitive girl who must come to grips with her dependence on her friend. The first part of the film is riddled with clichéd dialog and scenes for the age demographic, but the film improves as it goes along. All in all, it's still formulaic, but the performances of the two leads makes it better than expected. The film's ending also contains a nice subtle message about friendship for today's kids who are all too often wrapped up in growing up much too fast. ** of 4 stars.

I love, love, love this movie!

Author: windypoplar from United States
3 September 2008

"Aquamarine" is a beautiful, magical family film. It concerns two friends, Hailey and Claire, Hails is moving to Australia of all places! They say a prayer the night of a terrible storm at sea and a mermaid is washed into their pool! Even better the mermaid can grant a wish! All Aqua needs is to prove love exists to her dad and she'll grant the girls a wish!

Emma Roberts sweetly plays Claire and Jojo is Hailey. Sara Paxton is the title mermaid and she's terrific! Remember what a snot she played in "Sleepover"? She does a totally different (duh!) character here and is totally convincing. I loved the feel of magic in this movie! And it wasn't predictable or sappy and the girls were wonderful.

See all summer long Hails and Claire have had a crush on hunky lifeguard Ray, well-played by Jake McDorman, but Aqua immediately decides Ray is the boy for her! Still Claire Hailey help the lovelorn mermaid try to make Ray for for her in three days, thats all she's got and then it's back to the sea! The situations in this movie were beautiful and surprising. Ray, for a change is a really nice guy and not a jerk like most teen movies, which always made it hard to root for the girl to get such a bozo. Ray is sweet and sensitive. Aqua is so endearing as she tries to adjust to life on land! Sara was so cute here!

The girls are hampered by a snot named Cecilia. Favourite line? "Aquamarine, pretty name-for a crayon!" "Well, I was named after a rare and precious gem, whereas Cecilia means dim-sighted" Cool. The music was also great here, very sweet and the songs rocked! Cecilia tries a real nasty trick and you'll never guess who saves the day! The supporting players here, OK the adults, were really good. I loved, and I mean loved, the end of this movie! It was so touching and so heart-breaking and then it all comes together in a exciting way. I'm pretty sure they used cgi, but who cares? It was wonderful!

"Awuamarine" Is the best family movie I've seen since "Gold-diggers" Which I also strongly recommend. I can't believe nobody told me how good this was! I can't wait to watch it again! I also have "Bridge to Terabithia" And this was much better. You want depth? Pay attention to Claire's story, wonderfully handled. I loved this film, think I said that enough? Anyhow give this delightful tale or is that tail? A chance, you'll love it too.

Thanks for a great day at the beach!

Author: eurotrashjet from United States
12 August 2008

Well, I tuned in to this on TV. I was interested because I was familiar with JoJo as a singer. I didn't know quite what to expect. I ended up watching it three times in a row. Twentieth Century Fox should be commended for this little gem. I rated this a ten because that is where it falls in reference to what it is trying to be. This is a charming, bright, sunny, funny, touching, day at the beach, full of laughter, tears, friendship and love. If you don't like that, or perhaps you don't like the sound and sight of squealing, laughing, running and smiling girls, well then perhaps this is not your cup of tea. But if you want a happy go lucky romp back into your younger years, then forget your cares and step right up. I can't help but think the Australian influence in this film helped the atmosphere immensely. Sara, Emma, JoJo, Jake and Arielle were all great in this film. As far as Sara, Emma, and JoJo's acting is concerned, they nailed it. That is what girls act like. Welcome to Planet Earth. This film has its values in the right place. And, what is more, it has its heart in the right place. What a blast. Enjoy!

Funny lighthearted comedy

Author: kalendra274 from United Kingdom
31 July 2008

9/10 stars

What a great movie.

I started to regret this movie at the beginning, because I thought it was going to be another old typical chick flick, but I was wrong, I surprisingly enjoyed it.

This movie is more than a chick flick, it's about true friendship and love, confronting your fears and sticking to your to friends no matter what. That was really great.

It gives you a mixture of feelings, it makes you laugh, cry, wonder and also gives you butterflies.

And what's also great about this movie is that the plot was steady, simple and solid (or you can call it "SSS") and it didn't have too much plots, so that it excellent.

The performances were all splendid, but Sara Paxton (Aquamarine) did a phenomenal role of playing a mermaid who's looking for love and she is very amusing and lighthearted too. So well done.

This movie is perfect for a sleepover or a Girls' Night Out or even if you want to have some "me time" it's perfect for that as well.

Another point, about this movie is that, it gives a great message to you as well, that always be a true friend to your friend/s and always support them and also help them no matter what. That is what makes a great friend. Which is a important message for girls.

Overall, a wonderful romantic comedy, with great performances and a great plot. It also gives you a fantastic feeling in your heart and leaves you with an important message. So well done cast and crew, this movie was definitely a success.