IMDb > Aquamarine (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Aquamarine

Aquamarine More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

totally cute movie!

Author: ILuvPrincessDiaries2 from londan, england
20 December 2006

I absolutely love this movie ! it was so great! i love how fairytaleish it is! it's so very very cute. the guy could've been cuter but he looked kind and stuff. Sara Paxton did a great job as did Aquamarine. Jojo and Emma Roberts did great too. I've watched this show twice and it confirms my want to be an actress.the plot kept you guessing what was going to happen.though the ending wasn't so great it wasn't as bad as some i've seen. Hailey and Claire and Aquamarine we a great pair of friends and them being together made you feel like you were in a pack of great friends too. Hailey moving and aquamarine leaving made me really sad. I didn't like that part but they did get kissed by Raymond!

Not like book...better!

Author: math_drama from United States
6 December 2006

This movie was nothing like the book....It was better! (No offense to the author) I am in love with mermaids, so when I heard about this film, I was so excited to see it. I was already obsessed with the movie's "The Little Mermaid," "The Little Mermaid II," and "Finding Nemo," all taking place in the sea or from a fish's point of view. I watched the movie, already loving Emma Roberts as a singer. I also thought Jake McDorman was very cute! When I found out this movie was based on a book, I quickly went to the library and borrowed the book. I finished it in one day because it was really, really short. I didn't really enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed the movie. That says a lot, because I read the book "Freaky Friday" after I saw the movie, and I thought the book was better. I also read the book "Harriet the Spy" after I saw the movie, and I still thought the book was better, so I didn't like the movie better just because I saw it before the book. Also, I like Sara Paxton. I already saw her in the movie "Sleepover," and then after I saw this movie, I saw Sara Paxton in "Return to Halloweentown" on Disney Channel. It's amazing how Sara Paxton has the ability to change characters in so many movies. If I didn't know already that Sara Paxton played someone in all three of these movies, I would have never guessed! Sara Paxton is such a good actress!

Cute teen comedy

Author: pedrosmgfan from Spain
21 August 2006

"Aquamarine" seems the typical teen romantic comedy, and it is, but I'm not saying that this movie is bad, because is not. This movie is cute, funny and entertaining. It is a good comedy about friendship and love.

All begins when two teenagers, Claire and Hailey discover in their beach club's swimming pool a young mermaid called Aquamarine, who has escaped from an arranged wedding. She must find a love in three days, to show her father that love exists. Then she falls in love with the lifeguard Raymond. Claire and Hailey help her to get Raymond because if they help a mermaid they can get a wish, so they use their wish to stop Hailey' mom moving to Australia.

The cast includes Sara Paxton as Aquamarine, Emma Roberts as Claire, Joanna "JoJo" Levesque as Hailey and Jake McDormand as Raymond. "Aquamarine" is a cute comedy full of funny situations and love and friendship scenes. Don't miss this movie, it's not a waste of time.

Light-hearted wholesome entertainment...is that so bad?

Author: ndellos from United States
5 August 2006

I recently purchased this DVD and found it to have great acting from young folks, as well as enough of a twist at the end to make it less than predictable. There are plenty of movies with less than stellar acting from the lilliputian world, that I feel confident to say that there is credibility in this cast. Apparently there does not seem to be a consensus along these lines, however.

I see a lot of negative comments here and this is the main reason I am replying. Don't you people have anything better to do than criticize a good film? Well I had to respond since I really am getting tired of folks trying to be hip by bad-mouthing good entertainment.

Hats off to the young stars for giving me a truly fun and believable time! I would recommend Aquamarine to young and old if you aren't afraid of a heart-warming story. I do occasionally worry that child actors will grow up too fast, but that is another topic altogether.

Not deserving of the 3.6 rating it currently has

Author: hempick2 from United States
2 August 2006

I'm not going to lie to you. This movie is not great. Some of the acting is weak, some of the scenes are awkward, and some of the dialogue is trite. However, those parts of the movie only account for about 15-20% of the total running time. Most of the flick is fun and entertaining to watch.

I had planned to see this in theatres, but after seeing that it had a 2.5 rating (at the time) on IMDb, I decided not to go. However, I recently got a hold of a copy and was pleasantly surprised.

Yes it is a chick flick. Yes it is geared towards the "tween" demographic. Again, I am not going to lie to you. I am 24 year old male and I enjoyed it, so take that for what it is worth.

6.5/10 rounded up to 7/10.

Fun summertime movie

Author: moviebuff from United States
9 July 2006

A fun and entertaining for the family, especially for a summer evening with the kids. A nice refreshing change and a very safe movie. I give it a high rating on that fact alone and put it well above the trash movies that are dominating the market now. It's a cute story line with some predictable, and not so predictable twists. The movie presents a fun filled fantasy with a little magic, humor, and intrigue. The special effects were minimal and nothing to wow about, but they did add to the show. The mood nails were pretty cool. It was also nice to see some fresh faces and a few that my kids were familiar with from watching Unfabulous and Darcy's Wild Life.

This movie is wonderful

Author: countrygirl_oregon from United States
8 July 2006

You have to admit after seeing this movie that its wonderful! I have an 8 year old that I didn't have to explain what this or that meant. There were no sexual over or undertones. There was no profanity and no drug, alcohol, or smoking referred to. Ray didn't say he loved her to get what he wants and he was an upstanding nice young man. I loved the fact that love was based on a friendship that will stand the test of time and distance and not the love for a "boy". Its an excellent message to send to kids as imagine seems to be so important and this movie says... "No... its not..." I have suggested this movie to a lot of people who heard it was supposed to be stupid or not very good. They have all told me that they are actually glad they as well as their children watched it. Its really a very good lesson learning movie for kids and youth.

Enjoyable "Tween" Film

Author: christian123
3 July 2006

Following a violent storm, a beautiful and sassy mermaid named Aquamarine washes ashore and into the lives of two teenage girls. After Aquamarine falls for a local, hunky lifeguard, she enlists the girls' help to win his heart.

After watching the trailer for Aquamarine, I was expecting a horrible movie. Instead, I got a decent "tween" film that should appeal to its target audience. The film proves to be mildly charming and enjoyable for adults with a few fun characters and scenes. The premise is pretty familiar and the film is a little by-the numbers. However, screenwriter Jessica Bendinger is pretty good when it comes to harmless fluff and she at least tries to stray away from the familiar path. Of course she gets help from a good cast and the combination makes the film quite entertaining.

The main reason why this film works well is because of its young and charming cast. I don't really like JoJo as a singer so I was expecting her to give a bad performance. To my surprise, she shows a lot of charm in the role and she is actually quite engaging. Emma Roberts gives an okay performance, nothing special. However, her character is kind of dull so maybe that's why her performance isn't very interesting. Sara Paxton gives the best performance as Aquamarine. Her performance is a little familiar but still pretty funny.

The most engaging aspect of the movie is the relationship between the three girls. Of course the premise is far fetched but the relationships are realistic and it helps make the film more enjoyable. Despite this engaging quality, the film is still only average for me. I liked it but I didn't like it too much. The pacing was too slow, especially during the first twenty minutes. There were also a few "girly" scenes that almost completely lost my interest in the film. After the movie had finished, I got a lukewarm feeling. The ending wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be and the entire thing really wasn't that memorable. Aquamarine is a nice movie to watch but it doesn't leave a long lasting impression on the viewer unless you're part of the target audience. In the end, Aquamarine is harmless fluff and it's worth checking out. Rating 5/10

The best teen girls movie of 2006.

Author: bunnie_row from United States
14 June 2006

Incredibly cute story centering on friendship and loss, Emma Roberts and Jojo are -so- cute together, it is almost impossible not to believe they have been best friends forever, but when one is forced to leave by her mother, they make a silly wish that a miracle could happen to keep them together, and the next morning they find a mermaid named Aquamarine (played by Sara Paxton). The writing is above average and as I said before, the acting is incredible, especially for as young a cast as this is (with some of the oldest girls being born in the early 80s). This is a very good movie for anyone, no matter what age or sex. The comedy is cheery and uplifting, and the messages it sends are good for everyone, not just girls about to lose their best friends to high school or inter-state relocation.

Nice, sweet movie for young girls.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
5 July 2006

No, I am not a young girl. Yes, I am a grandfather, and I watched this with my 11 year old granddaughter. We both enjoyed it as a sweet little fairytale. A much better movie, for the right audience, than its IMDb rating would indicate.

Set in the Tampa Florida area, summer is just finishing up and two young girls have a crush on the lifeguard. Of course he treats them as they are, two little girls.

One morning after a big storm, with litter everywhere, the two girls notice something unusual about the pool. Looking closer the see it contains a very happy mermaid, played by pretty blond Sara Paxton, and has a name -- Aquamarine. Turns out she has left home because she didn't love the partner that was arranged for her to marry, and her dad had stirred up the weather the night before. She made a deal with her dad, if she could demonstrate that love really exists, he would let her choose her own fate.

SPOILERS. Aquamarine sets out to get the lifeguard and to have him tell her he loves her. But when she asks him that question after they had a date, he answered, rightly, "I like you a lot, but I can't say I love you after just one date. Let's take it slow and see what develops."

Aqua doesn't take it well, and a series of close calls ensue but, when her two little friends say they would do anything to help her, because the love her, she has demonstrated that love really does exist.