IMDb > Aquamarine (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A great girl movie!

Author: xxAcademyxx from United States
10 March 2006

I went to see this movie with a few friends. Lets just say, it was unanimous, we loved it! All the actors and actresses in the movie were portraying their characters realistically, even Sara Paxton's character as a mermaid! And, dang is Ray FINE! Haha. The movie just had some certain quality about it that really appealed to me and my friends. Although some people gave it a review saying it was childish, its for KIDS! WE loved it and it also had a similar message as The Princess Bride. True love can mean more than anything else. It was funny, sweet and light-hearted. You might not want to bring young kids though. it was really fun to watch, and we had a great time, and if I saw this movie as an adult, it might have been a bit girlish, yeah, but girls will love it like heck!

Hilarious "I need to own" movie.

Author: ladywolf_rv69 from United States
17 March 2006

Hilarious. A movie the whole family would enjoy. Even the adults will love it. Good story line, and besides the whole mermaid thing, it has several aspects that most girls (and some guys) can relate to (first crush, best friend moving away, evil preppies, dad trying to run child's life, fear of something you once loved, etc). Once again, very amusing, original, and an all around "I need to own" movie. I would recommend it to mostly everybody, most guys (especially teenagers or single guys) might not appreciate most of the humor in it. However, I think that (almost) every girl (young and old) will be delighted with this movie. Definitely worth seeing at the theater.

Ooh la la!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
16 March 2006

Forget "Splash," "The Little Mermaid," or any other boring Disney mermaid movie - this is the one mermaid movie that is so great that everyone must watch! The things I like the most about this movie is that this is a girl movie. I am a young man, however, but that's exactly what a million other men like me love - chick flicks! For the ladies, of course! Unfortunately, there are no kicks, punches, or yells; no explosions; no car chases; nothing that is very actioney here. But at least this movie has a bunch of young ladies - enough to satisfy us men! "Aquamarine" is one movie that is perfect for all ages, and even if we are not ladies or young girls, this can be considered an excellent guy movie. I give this 10 out of 10 and you should do the same as well! Thank you very much!

feel-good film

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
30 May 2006

This movie was obviously aimed at the teen set, but I found plenty to enjoy in it. The story concerns two girls (one of whom is about to move with her mother to Australia) who find a mermaid. The mermaid informs them that they can have one wish for finding her. They must decide what it is. Also, Aquamarine (the mermaid) must find love within three days, or else her father will make her marry someone she does not want to. She thinks she loves a lifeguard hunk the girls also have a crush on, but he initially does not return her feelings.

There are several well-done scenes, including a bathtub scene, a dinner scene,a shopping mall scene, and a bike-riding scene. All in all, I think this was a charming little movie and recommend it.I think the girls were well cast and the mermaid scenes were cute, charming, well-made, and funny. You might like it.

** 1/2 out of ****

Makes A Big Splash For Pre-Teen Girls

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
10 April 2006

Aquamarine (2006) Starring Sara Paxton, Emma Roberts, JoJo, Jake McDorman, Arielle Kebbel, Claudia Karvan, Bruce Spence, Tammin Sursok, Roy billing, Julia Blake, Shaum Micallef..Director Elizabeth Allen I admit never having seen Splash, but if it's a lot like this film only set in an earlier decade like the 80's or something, I'm sure that film is not enjoyable. I've seen Mermaids with Cher and that was also awful. Continuing cinema's love affair with beautiful mermaids and the "Little Mermaid" story, Sara Paxton plays Aquamarine, a real-life mermaid who changes the lives of two best friends forever. Emma Roberts and Jojo play the two friends, who must deal with possible separation as one of the girl's mother is resolved to move out to Australia for a high-paying job as marine biologist. The two girls make a wish that something will keep them together. Aquamarine shows up and soon she changes the girl's lives, making them stronger, smarter and altering their status from unpopular girls to the girls everyone roots for. Arielle Kebbel plays the mean-spirited Cecilia, whose father is a wealthy news reporter and whose goal is to humiliate the girls. Aquamarine falls for the sexy, hunky California surfer dude boy Jake McDorman. The Little Mermaid story is now acted out in present time as he discovers her secret (she is a mermaid by night, and human by day) but still continues to pursue her romantically. Possibly, this film is terrible but for pre-adolescent girls and or younger, this is a real delight. The girls do learn a lesson in friendship and loyalty. Aquamarine learns that love is not merely romantic but platonic. These lessons aren't really delivered with enough power as this film is mostly comedy. But this film is enjoyable and has its own merit, even if it is predictable in "Little Mermaid" manner. But what story hasn't been told and retold ?

Aquamarine: A Perfect . . . 5

Author: Katy from United States
13 March 2006

I took my nine-year-old sister to see this movie today. It was between this movie and Chicken Little, and she admitted she wanted to see this more, so that was fine with me. Remembering the display of ultimate mediocrity that was A Cinderella Story, one of the last movies we saw in the theater together, I was prepared to hate and be bored by this movie. That is to say, I went in expecting crappy dialogue, a predictable yet forced and contrived plot, and acting that ranged from mediocre to awful. Its having below a 3.0 on IMDb (compared to A Cinderella Story's 5.2) certainly didn't help matters.

And I have to say . . . I was pleasantly surprised. Not because the dialogue was brilliant, the plot was novel, and the acting was amazing. It was just all better than what I expected. Okay, a lot of the dialogue was pretty cheesy, and you can see the "plot twists" coming a mile away. But I have to admit, I chuckled out loud a couple of times, and as for the acting, it wasn't NEARLY as bad as what Ms. Duff had led me to expect from these young women. Actually, this movie turned out to be, dare I say, slightly charming at times, and even when the mermaid annoyed me with her unfunny quips about life on land versus life in the sea (which was at least half of the time she was on screen), the other two main characters were actually fun to watch together. They're not future Judi Denchs in the making, and probably not even future Keira Knightleys or Natalie Portmans in the making, but I'd GLADLY choose them over Hilary Duff any day of the week.

And this is the real reason why I'm commenting here. I can understand that if you didn't go into the movie knowing how tweeny it was going to be, you would loathe it with your entire soul. I don't really know how that would happen, considering who two out of three of the leads are, but still . . . if that's what happened to you, I understand. But come on . . . this movie was not worse than A Cinderella Story, so please, let's stop rating it as such. A Cinderella Story was less charming, less unique, and less valuable in the "What Lessons Can We Learn From These Characters?" Department than Aquamarine by a long shot.

So, do I think this was a good movie? Well, I'm 21, so that's pretty much impossible. Like I said . . . thin and predictable. But is it a BAD movie? No. It accomplishes what it sets out to do. My little sister loved it, and I can see why. Therefore I give this movie not a 10 or a 1 but a 5, that is, a rating of perfect mediocrity. If you know a girl between the ages of 8 and 13, feel free to take her to see it, because she'll probably love it, and honestly, you're not going to mind it all that much. I promise.

A large surprise!

Author: spongebobsandy from United States
23 March 2006

This is a really great move. I'm not going to tell you the surprise, but I'll tell you what it's about. Haley (Jojo) and Claire (Emma) were praying to the "Majestical Gods" and then the storm struck! They went outside and found a mermaid! Then they go on many adventures trying to make Ramond, a hot guy, fall in love with her. There is also a mean girl, as in every movie, and some other interesting characters. It's a much better movie than what I actually expected it to be. It is positively surprising...and funny!! There is just so many random things that Aquamarine says. If you want to find OUT the surprise, you just have to watch the movie yourself!!

go see it, its cute and more

Author: ppfromaus from United States
5 March 2006

I took my two small daughters today to see Aquamarine, and was surprised to find the movie really great. I expected another so-so cookie cutter movie from Disney ( that's who made it right? ) and even thought it kinda is, it was well written and acted. And being from Australia originally, its great to see a couple of Aussie actors in there for good measure. Its a great movie for girls, teens and their Mums, with lots of humor and lessons to learn. My daughters are 6 and 9 and I am in my 30's, and we all found something that tickled our funny bones, and lots we laughed at together. It was wonderful to sit in the cinema and watch the smiles on my girls faces, and twinkles in their eyes at the magic this movie holds. Go see it, if nothing else, you will leave with a lighter step, as it imparts a real sense of "feel good" and "girlish-ness"

Caught in a net of fish

Author: freakfire-1 from Texas, United States
30 May 2008

Where should I begin with this travesty? How about - that the acting was some of the worst I have ever seen. Not only was Miss Roberts, the current girl of Nancy Drew fame, not any good but neither was the other stars.

Mermaids looking for love smells of Little Mermaid. Mermaids in the tub and swimming in a water-tower smell of Disney-esquire novelty. I guess I am glad she found her love, but it was painful to watch while getting there.

Concluding my thoughts, don't buy this. It might be worth a rental at best to entertain some teenage girls, but it won't do anything for anybody else. Even many of the girls probably won't like this. "F"

A Wonderful Movie

Author: shaylakessel from United States
17 January 2007

Aqamarine is a wonderful movie. It is one of my favorite movies. It is about a mermaid and understanding what love really is. I had read the book when I was younger and I went to the movie expecting the book to have been better (as most books are). After I watched the movie I knew it was better than the book by far. They took a story and made it better on screen. I think everybody should see this movie and I think everyone would like it too. Children love this movie too because it contains a mermaid. All the people acting do a wonderful job and act it out very well. I have this movie and watch it often and I think if you watch it you will love it just as much as I do if not more.

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]