IMDb > Aquamarine (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Aquamarine

Aquamarine More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How does this movie have a user rating of 2?

Author: SCOTT ROBINSON from United States
9 March 2006

I took my daughter 5 and son 8 to see Aquamarine yesterday after school. I didn't go in expecting to see an Oscar worthy movie as many who rated this movie must have. Both of my kids really enjoyed the movie and I did as well. I thought the plot was good and the acting was pretty good as well. I liked the magical feel that this movie had and at least it lets kids use their imagination instead of just the same old boring stuff. How Aquamarine could ever have a lower user rating than Ultraviolet is a crime against humanity. I am glad that several of the user comments that I have read appreciate this movie for what it is, a movie for your kids and that the parents will enjoy also.

"A really, really good movie" says a 9-year-old

Author: lstanziola from United States
19 March 2006

As a parent, I found this movie an enjoyable way to spend time with my 9-year-old daughter and her friend. Here are her comments: "I thought that Aquamarine was a great movie! I could really compare it to the Little Mermaid. You know, the parts where she had to leave before sunset. I thought that the cast did a really great job acting. I really liked the end, too." Back to mom's thoughts: All in all, the friendship theme is very positive. Also, the "love" theme is appropriate for young viewers, in my opinion, because it was somewhat idealized but not over the top unimaginable. The feeling in general was of a pleasant escape where friendship is reaffirmed.

It wasn't that bad

Author: peppermintbuddi from United States
5 March 2006

Even though I was forced to watch this with younger siblings, I actually enjoyed myself. Besides the movie Splash which was made years ago, I don't think there has been many mermaid movies. This one, although a little bit on the cheesy side, had a pretty good underlying message. Graphics were not extraordinary, but they weren't terrible. Jojo turned out to be a sarcastic, funny actress and Sara Paxton did a pretty good job on being the clueless mermaid. Emma Roberts was a little bit rusty on acting, but she can sure tear up. Yea it was cheesy, but what'd you expect, at least it wasn't unbearably cheesy. It was really just cute and I enjoyed watching it with my siblings.

Two teenage boy crazy best friends discover and befriend a mermaid

Author: dawsonsfreak33 from United States
4 March 2006

I wanted to hate this movie. Everything from the constant squealing of "Oh My God", the stream of clichés and the sheer ridiculousness of some of the dialouge pointed in the direction of a complete waste of time. Somehow however, Aquamarine managed to win me over through charm and its child like determination to please. The movie centers around two teenage girls (Emma Roberts and JoJo) who are spending their last summer together before Hayley (Jojo) moves away to Austrailia. Their summer takes a surprising twist when they discover a mermaid (Sara Paxton) in a pool after a terrible storm. They spend the rest of the summer trying to help her find true love. Both Emma Roberts and Jojo are newcomers to the screen and do a surprisingly good job at playing bubbly girls without making the audience want to wring their necks 10 minutes in and though each have yet to develop their skills especially at showing a wide range of emotions, they certainly are charming and enjoyable to watch. Sara Paxton looks and talks the part and though this role wasn't one to exhibit any real acting abilities she embraces the part full on. Yes, Aqaumarine features a mean blonde girl and yes there is the "hot" guy but if you watch this movie for exactly what it is, a fluffy escape from life, then it shouldn't bother you. So if you are ever in the mood, wait until it comes out on video and don't pay 10 dollars on it, it is definitely a rental.

JoJo Surpises Me

Author: hollywoodgirl-1 from United States
18 March 2006

I promised my sister I would take her to a movie for her birthday and buy her popcorn a few weeks ago, and today was the day we settled on. I was pushing for Failure to Launch or She's the Man, but my sister was determined to see Aquamarine. So fifteen dollars later we were all nestled in. The movie starts off extremely slow and was, in my opinion, painful to watch. I must admit I was much more entertained with thinking of ways that I could sneak in to The Hills Have Eyes, which was playing at the theater across from ours. But in the end I stayed for the movie, giving me plenty of time to think over my criticisms. I think Emma Roberts (timid and diminutive Claire) may be a rare star who started out acting fairly well and is getting worse. I thought her early Unfabulous days were good, but now I can barely stand to watch the show. Her over-the-top mugging drives me insane. I wasn't expecting much out of JoJo (bold and strong Hailey) at all. I knew it wasn't exactly fair writing her off for being a singer, but that's what I did. And I was extremely, pleasantly surprised. She did a great job, I thought. I wasn't expecting much from Sara Paxton (the titular mermaid Aquamarine) judging by the painful "I see we're going to have to take this slow: Mer Maid" in the trailers, but she ended up doing okay. All in all, it wasn't a great movie, but it picks up in the second half and finishes well, so it was a pretty decent way to spend almost two hours on a cold Saturday afternoon. Although next time, I think I'll pick the movie.

Way better than 2.5

Author: iisabelle from Australia
8 April 2006

This story is mixed with romance, love, and friendship. I really enjoyed this movie. Its actually quite funny too.

Aquamarine (who is played by Sara Paxton is a fantastic actor i reckon)is a mermaid who needs to find love in 3 days or she will be forced to marry some she doesn't wanna get married to. She decides she wants Raymond who is extremely popular and all the girls are after him including the two best friends who found aqua.

The endings are very sweet and aquamarine is just so funny cause she doesn't know much about boys and life on the surface.

Good Movie!

It was much better than I expected

Author: from United States
4 March 2006

I was really surprised at the potential of this movie! I went expecting it to be another stupid poorly done fairy tale, but left thinking that it was so much more! The chemistry of Emma, Jojo, and Sarah is incredible, and it really is brought out in their acting. I never expected to see great acting out of emotions from them, but they made their feelings so real - which I never would've expected from them. thought a lot of any three of these actresses until now - but it was very good. If you go see this movie, expect to leave hoping that maybe one day you'll find a mermaid - it gives everybody a little taste of magic. Well done! Great for kids of all ages, I'm 12 and I liked it as much as my 7 year old sister.

Great sentiment, especially for a chick flick

Author: artsigirl from United States
4 March 2006

Chick flick, I know. But don't let that stop you. My first instinct when I saw the preview was, "Here's a real movie." And I was not disappointed. I was amazed at just how great an actress Jojo turned out to be. In contrast to Hilary Duff and Lindsey Lohan, she may be one of the few teenage actresses who has a great prospect for an acting future. Plus, she's really cute :) Sarah Paxton is also amazing, and Emma Roberts also does well. I thought that Raymond was slightly stereotypical, and I I wished there weren't so much giggling, but hey, whatever floats the filmmaker's boats. It does start out very flirty, so "shallow" that my heart sank as I began to lose hope. However, it quickly grew into a beautiful, sentimental story of beauty, friendship, and love. Two thumbs up.

Fresh young faces, good film for genre

Author: Dean Kish (dwkish@shaw.ca) from Calgary Canada
2 March 2006

Aquamarine By Dean Kish For hundreds of years we have been fascinated with the nautical myth that there are beings in the oceans who are ½ fish and ½ woman. They are always young, beautiful and completely naive. Some classic films have captivated this obsession. The first biggest and most memorable film was the classic 1984 comedy "Splash" which really brought the myth back into the fore-front of our minds. Next was 1989's "The Little Mermaid" which stole our hearts and re-launched Disney's animation division.

Probably the most obscure reference and the most bizarre use of the mermaid myth was used in the short-lived TV series, "Maximum Bob" where an ultra right-wing judge (Beau Bridges) marries a psychic mermaid-performer (Kiersten Warren). There are a lot of scenes with Warren in an aquarium and dressed in her fish tail.

OK I have covered the biggest to the most obscure which brings me to "Aquamarine".

"Aquamarine" is a light-hearted preteen comedy about a naive mermaid, Aquamarine (Sara Paxton) who comes ashore to uncover the human myth called love. Helping her in finding this mythical emotion are two best friends, Claire and Hailey (Emma Roberts and JoJo), who befriend the mermaid. It turns out that the friends maybe separated forever when Hailey moves away. Aquamarine promises them a wish if they help her find true love so the girls, desperate to stay together, help her out.

This film is probably not a classic or will be fondly remembered in five years but for the audience it is aimed at it succeeds on many levels. I liked the performances of Emma Roberts and Sara Paxton. I even warmed up to JoJo a little.

What I kept saying as the film went on was how these three girls looked like junior versions of established actors. I felt that Paxton reminded me a lot of a younger Reese Witherspoon and Roberts reminded me some of her aunt, Julia Roberts. JoJo did also remind me of Lindsay Lohan but there isn't much of an age difference between them so you can't really say junior version.

I think that Paxton and Roberts have a lot of potential in their Hollywood careers. JoJo could have a career in film but does she have the ability to manage music and film like say, Hilary Duff. Only time will tell.

"Aquamarine" is a great little film if you have girls who are between 8 and 15 but other than that I can't really recommend it to anyone else. But you have to give it marks for succeeding so well in a pinch demographic. (3.5 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer (dwkish@shaw.ca)

This movie is very stylish and spectacular!

Author: (astro_92@hotmail.com) from Crestview, Florida, USA
12 March 2006

I saw this movie yesterday and I thought that it was very entertaining. Aquamarine is a truly excellent family flick! Even though I'm a 24-year old young man, this film appealed to me a whole lot. I am often very fond of films that revolve mainly around female characters. The girls featured here are all very cute, especially Sara Paxton, the actress who portrays the title character.

The movie is about two teen-aged girls, Claire and Hailey, who form a strong bond with a mermaid. The mermaid is very gorgeous and they decide to name her Aquamarine. As the three gals hang around each other Aquamarine explains that she must show her father that love exists all around. She meets and falls for a lifeguard named Raymond and tries to get him to fall for her. However, she is reluctant about telling him that she is a mermaid. Fortunately, during the daytime when the sun is out she has legs like an ordinary human being. Once the sun sets though she has a tail again. The movie also features a rival girl named Cecilia, who is the daughter of a local news reporter. Cecilia is very arrogant, dishonest, and greedy. She wants everybody everywhere to treat her like a queen. In the end, she gets what she deserves!

I recommend this movie to everyone that I interact and communicate with! Aquamarine is an interesting movie that will make you glow with happiness!

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]