IMDb > "American Dragon: Jake Long" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"American Dragon: Jake Long"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"American Dragon: Jake Long" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Amazing,a great show

Author: shojo_sanzo from United States
3 December 2005

This is by far the best show on Disney Channel. It has a good mix of fantasy,romance and action. It's great if you're into dragons. T The story is about a kid,at the age of 13,named Jake Long. He's about your average New York kid,loves to skateboard,play games,and has two friends named Trixie and Spud. He has one secret however... He's the American Dragon. He is the first recorded dragon ever born in America. That's why they call him the American Dragon. His grandfather,Lao Shi,is also his teacher. He teaches Jake all the basics of becoming a dragon.Lao Shi is also known as Grampa,he's the Chinese Dragon. Or that's what they call him. Anyway,the show is overall good,it has some stuff that is similar to another animation called Danny Phantom,but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a very good and interesting show. I rate it a 9/10. It's not Anime. SO many of you that think it's anime,it isn't.

This is the most awesome series EVER.

Author: Briget from Mount Joy, PA
4 June 2005

To be perfectly honest, when my little sister and I first saw the previews for American Dragon, we weren't too excited. The reason why: Disney's last two or three animated series weren't exactly...good. To say the least. Lilo and Stitch and Brandy and Mr. Whiskers didn't exactly give us much hope on the Disney channel original series thing. But a little more than a month ago I turned to Disney Channel because there was nothing else on. And I watched part of an episode of American Dragon (The one with the chalice and the genie. I can't remember the title.) and I was entranced by it. It absolutely rocked my world. I haven't been so excited about an American cartoon since Teen Titans. I've always loved magic, and I love the idea of both the normal and magical world coinciding with each other. And I love dragons. They rock my socks. I love Jake's attitude, and I love that it takes place in NYC. I love the dramatic irony in the beginning of the series with the budding relationship between Rose and Jake, and now I can't wait to see what happens in the couple episodes between the two of them, since now Jake knows that it's her. My love of this series has spread to the kids I babysit, who don't have cable, so I record shows for them sometimes. They have watched that tape about three times now. Since last week. I'm not sure if I can really capture with words how awesome I think this show is. I only hope that they keep it going. For FOREVER.

This generation's Karate Kid

Author: gndmail from United States
18 January 2005

I really like American Dragon but what do I know, I'm 34? My neighbor (an 11 year old boy) loves it! He's a huge Harry Potter fan and digs martial arts and thinks American Dragon is "really cool". This cartoon combines Karate Kid and Harry Potter and is very clever, almost too clever I think at times for kids but again, I had trouble following Yuggio and I'm 34. American Dragon is Asian influenced but not Annimae, thank god, it still has that Disney coated gloss. Some of the jokes are hilarious but may go over the kids heads but I love cartoons with adult humor. There is a lot going on in this cartoon with a WB teenage drama mixed with magical creatures and superhero - Jake saves the day endings. Kids have a short attention span and there is enough here to keep their minds excited for the half an hour. Great fun!

This show is fine the way it is, however...

Author: sohocottage from Australia
23 October 2005

This show does not have particularly overdrawn characters. I am a girl who loves this show and does't get to watch it enough, although there are some faults. The plot lines are a bit wishy- washy and sometimes lopsided. There should be a bit more mystery within this mythical world and the only thing that is mysterious is the huntsman and the secret identity of Rose, (by the way has that been revealed yet? I think she'll be the hunts girl ). The ideas are really good, maybe a little more editing, but the overall idea itself is great. I mean, compared to demonic Yu Gi Oh this show provides a screening of beasts not seen by kids, unless they are all reading Greek and Roman Mythology which I highly doubt, (Some do, I know and I have read all the Greek and Roman mythology and I'm 12), so they are even getting a bit of culture. Sure, Danny Phantom did it better, but is he still on the air? No, and like many timeless classic TV series, they are replaced by copies for the younger generation. Jake Long is a great show and I think it is fine.

It's like a love letter to Disney Channel!

Author: americandragonfreak from United States
17 April 2006

This show is the best! It has everything I could want in a show. The story follows Jake Long (Dante Basco), a 13 year old boy who has just found out that he is a dragon. It's pretty cool until he finds out the love of his life Rose (a wonderfully wicked Mae Whitman)is a dragon slayer. Other voice actors are John DiMaggio (Dr. Drakken from Kim Possible) as the hilarious talking dog Fu, Amy Bruckner (Phil of the Future) as Jake's 7 year old sister, Clancy Brown (Spongebob Squarepants) as Jake's nemesis the Dark Dragon, Jeff Bennet (Friday the 13th Part 6 or 7, Lilo and Stitch the Series) as Jake's idiotic father and Keone Young (Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi) as Jake's grandfather.

9.8/10 A classic!

i kinda like it......dragon up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: the-violator from earth
5 January 2005

i think this show is good its different than most other Disney shows its kinda like Disney anime if you know what i mean .its got a great mix of action/fantasy and comedy.this show follows the adventures of jake long an Asian American boy who is the Gordan of magical creatures and has to protect them from some evil villains in new york while going to school and being mentored in the use of his powers by his grandpa and a wise talking dog (the grandpa funniest character in my opinion)i also like that fact jake's dad is the only one that doesn't know he married into a family of dragon guardians and they have to be careful when hes around .Theres also a cool love hate relationship (kinda like batman-catwoman)between huntsgirl and the American dragon(huntsgirl i think is rose-the birthmark duh!!!).Its a cool show so i recommend you check it out. 4/5

Not just mindless comedy

Author: spislandprincess from United States
5 May 2006

I like this show for two reason. One is that I love dragons, and the concept of everyday people turning into dragons is motivational and exciting. Becoming a dragon is like expressing an inner strength. I also like how this show is written, the stories are interesting with lots of drama with the Rose/Jake thing, (I can't wait to see if Rose comes back!!)and I think its great that Jake let his friends Trixie and Spud in on his secret. I mean, being a dragon is a good thing right? The animation took a bit of getting used to, besides Jake the dragon the other dragons are pretty poorly drawn. As for the slang talk, I've come to almost like it, as it adds to the comedy of the characters. They are kids, after all. I give this show an 8 because for how well the stories are written, the interesting concepts, good voice actors, and the fairly well developed characters. It loses the 2 points to a 10 because of the poorly drawn dragons, and I feel that the whole dragon training thing should feature in a few more episodes. I want to meet more dragons!

The second season rocks!! more mystery between Jake and Rose!!!

Author: rebel_sister from Oman
9 January 2007

OMG! the second season at first, i thought would suck because i didn't like the way that Jake was drawn but now that i watch it everyday i LOVE it!!!!

its way better than the first season, it has more Mystery between Rose and Jake and there's a HECK LOT of secrets behind every move they make, the directed and screenplay and movements..well, almost Everything is great!! anyone who doesn't like this show has no taste of Quality at all! its got a lot of interesting stories too and Jake doesn't whine a LOT anymore and nor does he..like..use a lot of 'slag'(i hate calling it slang!! it sounds normal to me!) and Trixie was kinda annoying in the first season but in the second i liked her a LOT and i like the little love NOT between Spud and The Cheerleader, and i Definitely LOOOVE Rose and Jake in this season..they work together and discuss a lot of things with each other which is so0 CUTE!!

and plus there are a lot of new characters on the show,( which sadly i missed a few episodes in-between because of my stupid homework!) but any-whoo, the whole season has more to offer than you thought of!and Brad isn't just a stupid Jock..but an ANNOYING, quick thinking..Jock!

Everything said in the shows is something VERY important and it all makes a lot of sense if you listen to what they have to say, and EVERYONE has a big part in this season, they aren't just EXTRAS like in some other shows or in the first season!

i say YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT i also need to know what happens after Rose finds out that she has a family when in episode 'dreamscape' i found that really heart grabbing and interesting!

like i said....everything is new and exciting and has a twist! i LOVE The American Dragon

1st Season was great. The 2nd one is awesome!

Author: blak (blakmanta) from Naples, Italy
7 July 2006

> First Season < "American Dragon: Jake Long" (AD:JL) is not the greatest and original show Disney has ever made, but it's still a good show, funny, with cool characters. However, Jake's language (he speaks like a Rapper or something like that) is REALLY annoying (trust me). Anyway, there are other interesting characters in this DisneyShow, for example, Lao Shi, Jake's grandpa and Dragon Master. Lao is the first Chinese Dragon. Fu Dog is Lao Shi's shar-pei. He's a 600 years old dog. Trixie & Spud are Jake's best friends while Rose is Jake's crush.

The TvShow has a lot of villains though. The most recurring villains so far are The Huntsman and his Hunt-student (lol), Thorn (who is Rose's Dark-Side). However, the REAL enemy of the show is The Dark Dragon: we don't know much about him, for now...

> Second Season < The 2nd Season of "American Dragon" is even better than the 1st one! The Animation may be weird, but the story-line and the characters (and, eventually, the ratings) really improved. Jake speaks like a normal kid. Spud is smarter and Trixie is less annoying. I recently saw "Bring it On" and I think that the fight sequences were awesome. The 2nd Season has a Lot of CGI too. However, some fans still think that the new Season sucks: and that is NOT true. Even the villain are getting better! You really should watch the 2nd Season. Watch it, and you will love it!

A great,wholesome show

Author: white-37 from United States
3 March 2007

This show has got to be one of the best.It's brighter and more real then DP (which is also a pretty good show),is more modern then Avatar (good show) and carries a supenseful main property to it:The Jake and Rose relationship.Two young people who are born and raised to be enemies (though Rose more so then Jake),somehow find themselves falling for one another in their normal idenities.When they finally find out about each other,each has a different reaction and even though it all seems impossible,they manage to forge an alliance to stop the Huntsman from wiping out all magical creatures,overcome all those who oppose their relationship and still care deeply for one another.They both make mistakes and are very much endanger from being with one another if they are not putting on a fighting act.It will all culminate in the final episode Hong Kong Longs,after both make great sacrifices in Homecoming.If you haven't kept up with these two,then by all means you need to.There is nothing filled with more angst,love and action that you'll find anywhere else.Especially in a cartoon series.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]