IMDb > Urban Rescuers (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Urban Rescuers More at IMDbPro »

What this does best is raise the issue of feral cats...

Author: TheFiendsThatPlagueThee from United States
16 January 2009

Urban Rescuers is an interesting documentary about the plight of feral cats in general and in LA County more specifically. It focuses on a controversial and in many cases, illegal, program of Trap Neuter and Return. This system has the advantage of allowing the feral cats to live out their natural life in the wild while preventing these cats from breeding. Thus, the overall population of feral cats should diminish without killing them.

The film deals primarily with the TNR system as a workable alternative and much of the film discusses its benefits as told by a group actively involved in it. Some of the objectors to such programs are given a chance to voice their thoughts as well.

But what this film does best is to raise the issue of feral cats and bring it into the public consciousness. I doubt that most people (myself included) really have any idea of the extent of the problem in the United States.

It is well filmed, with an interesting and informative script and has made me aware of an option I had not previously heard of. In addition to TNR, I would hope that groups considering this type of program would include a vaccination program while they are neutering these cats-especially for rabies.

Definitely worth seeing.