IMDb > Venom (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Venom

Venom More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Typical slasher film....but still a lot of fun.

Author: Chris Gavez (croatiansensation29@yahoo.ca) from Canada
2 January 2006

So shoot me...I have a soft spot for slasher films, so "Venom" was a fun little horror film for me. I had never heard of it, but luckily I have access to rental screeners before they are released, otherwise I never would have seen this film.

Typical story, guy gets killed, guy comes back to life, guy starts killing people. Though this time it takes place in the swamps of Louisiana instead of Camp Crystal Lake. A bit of voodoo gets thrown in just for good measure.

Sure, the story isn't the greatest, and it's not going to win any Oscars for best actors, but the film still is a fun little time waster for all horror fans out there.

If you enjoy the slasher films of the late 70's and the 80's, be sure to check this one out. Could be a surprise for you. Otherwise, steer clear of this film.

blood, guts and gore galore

Author: xxChronusxx from United States
12 September 2005

I saw this movie at a screening as well and it must have been a different version than the reviewer who thought it was "pure $hite". While the acting for the most part is typical teenager and a little disappointing except for the bad guy, the film looks fantastic, the actions sequences are great as well as the kills, some of which were hard to watch due to their realism. In this version at least, the cheesy special effects seem to be gone or at least vastly improved from what the other reviewer saw. It moves pretty well except for a few scenes of obligatory explanations regarding the voodoo deal and "teen angst", but there are a couple of really good scares as well as a good sustained overall tension throughout. The kills are brutal for the most part with one exception thats kind of lame, but the fight sequence close to the end is especially effective and looks just great as well as what has to be some new scenes, possibly even a new ending, since the lighting and overall look is so different from the rest of the film, but it still looks great. In my humble opinion it's definitely worth seeing and an R rating based on the blood and gore if thats what you expect from a horror movie. Gillespie definitely knows how to make an audience squirm.

Brings Back The Good Ol' Days

Author: crazytoledo from usa
18 September 2005

Yes this brings back memories, the times were movies that were classified under horror were rated R. It also gets credit for having two slasher movies come out in the same week, though technically speaking, Cry Wolf isn't a slasher.

The movie would have probably done much better during the 80s, a time when a Friday the 13th sequel hit the screens so many times, people lost count. The movie is your typical, teens outside in a wild area (this time a swamp instead of the woods) and are stalked and brutally murdered off by a killer who is literally unstoppable.

If you want to go see a movie were people get killed and their is a lot of blood and gore, then go see this now. If you want a movie that has good acting, great story, and is smart and suave, hold off of this and check out Cry Wolf.

Or better yet, try to go out and see booth.

Well, Meagan Good does have more than just a cameo appearance....

Author: NateF88 from IL
17 September 2005

It's hard to comment on this movie. It's one of the few movies Dimension actually has not shelved (it's hard to come up with a reason why) and it was rushed into a an unimpressive 500 theaters it's opening day. Maybe Dimension was afraid of how people would respond to a swamp creature using his tow truck to pull a house apart piece by piece.

Ray Sawyer is just a tow truck driver, until he rescues a Voodoo priestess from a bad car accident, and in return, he gets attacked by a bag full of snakes and drowns. At the morgue, Ray comes back to life, and stalks a group of teenagers who witnessed the awful crash occur.

What brings this movie down is it's paper thin characters. I didn't care for one moment about any of them. Also, the dialog was less than ho-hum. Also, it was very predictable. Characters did the typical stupid horror movie character things, like check creaky noises, call out people's names, and trip on a rock while being chased. I also could immediately pick out who the final girl would be. And why did the camera have those quick white flashes whenever somebody died or whenever the killer was shown?

What's good? Well, there is an impressive suspense scene where the killer walks underneath swamp waters to get to his victims and a tense sequence where the final girl must camouflage herself with bunch of other dead bodies while the killer looks on.

But other than that, It's another August/September disappointment. I was looking forward to it, but I did not get what was expected.

Not Quite Pure Poison but Close

Author: allamericanpsycho21 (allamericanpsycho21@yahoo.com) from United States
14 January 2006

I gotta admit it, I love horror films...especially 80s slasher films. Hell, I even love cheese like Sleepaway Camp and Night of the Demons. But, I didn't think much of this movie. The death scenes weren't very well done, the CGI was terrible, and the acting was ho-hum. Worst of all was the story which didn't make sense at all. I'd say save your money but chances are, if you want to see this movie...you're going to anyway. I didn't hate it...it's just not very good. Overall, it's just another bland, lifeless horror film that lacks life (it's no surprise that this one was on the shelf at Dimension for over a year after it was completed).

A great Surprise

Author: HattoriHanzo_TheThird (hattorihanzo_thethird@hotmail.com) from Canada
20 January 2006

When I read about this movie, I was expecting another low-budget, straight-to-DVD shaky-camera movie with corny music, lame actors, and a very predictable, repetitive plot. Of course, everyone knows, there's about a 1 in 100 chance that straight-to-DVD horror movies will be DECENT. But that 1 in 100 is a pleasant surprise. And this movie is a perfect example.

The movie basically centers around these two teenagers who witness the 'drowning' of the local rednecked trucker. He gets in an accident with the grandmother of one of their friends, who is a voodoo priestess. He opens her 'suitcase' and gets a nasty surprise, before her car falls off the bridge they crashed on into the water. Soon his body disappears, and so-on so-on.

The plot is very solid, with only minor "What the hell?"s every so often. The acting is really decent, and there are many great deaths scenes (meaning good special effects). There is actually a variation in the 'scary' music that they play, and the camera is solid, the lighting is generally great, and the actors SPEAK UP.

It is a really great movie. I started to watch it expecting NOTHING, but I was pleasantly surprised. Don't expect a million-dollar budget out of it, but its a darn good movie!

Stupid, Yet Entertaining Voodoo-Slasher Film

Author: Crap_Connoisseur from Australia
9 March 2006

Jim Gillespie transforms "Backwater" from computer game to horror movie with undeniable flair. Venom takes the best elements of "Backwater" and builds upon them to create an entertaining, if ultimately ridiculous, slasher film. If you don't spend too much time thinking about the plot and manage to overlook the general lunacy, Venom offers 90 minutes of dumb fun.

As a horror fan, the most interesting aspect of the film for me was the joining of two horror sub-genres (for want of a better description) - the voodoo/hoodoo and slasher genres. There are better voodoo films, Wes Craven's "The Serpent and the Rainbow" comes to mind, and certainly many better slasher films, but it was fun to watch the director mix the genres.

Ray, originally known as "Jangles" in the computer game, makes for an interesting villain. He's the town outcast, who dies while trying to rescue a voodoo priestess from a car crash. Unfortunately, the old lady's possessed snakes attack Ray and he turns into a voodoo powered zombie with a really bad attitude. Ray is no Freddy Krueger or Jason Vorhees, but he's also a step up from most of the clowns polluting American horror movies these days. Ray's weapon of choice is a crowbar and he busily uses it to impale, spear and slash anyone he comes across.

The film also gets extra credit for having Bijou Phillips in the cast. I have no idea why this woman isn't a bigger star, she manages to steal every movie that she appears in. Bijou doesn't have a big role and she really is way too cool to be believable as a small town bimbo. However, she is a beacon in the sea of pretty but wooden actors that make up the rest of the cast.

The film starts well but becomes increasingly improbable. The character of Cece is so idiotic that it defies belief - Apparently every resident of Louisiana keeps a spare voodoo priestess robe in their wardrobe. Oh, and nice idea to use your dead friend as a voodoo doll. The director also gets carried away with CGI effects as the film progresses and spends far too much time making snake eyes move under Ray's skin than concentrating on the good, old fashioned gore that makes the first half of the film so enjoyable.

The film's finale is fairly predictable and by then I had lost interest. Nevertheless, Venom is a fun horror film and should please less discerning genre fans.

A so so offering to the horror genre.

Author: T.J from United States
15 September 2005

It's funny how this Venom movie came about. 2 weeks ago, this movie didn't even have a trailer! Let alone a release date! But, with the recent effects of Hurricane Katrina, this movie has been pushed up the ladder and been given a early September release! I didn't have many expectations going' in, I knew combining Williamson with Gillespie could turn out to be a nice tandem, but I was mistaken. 'Venom's worst problem is its screenplay. I didn't expect that to be something that would hinder the film(i thought that the dull teens would accomplish that feat). *Spoiler here* One of the supposed 'leads' is the son of the guy who becomes put under this spirit, thinking this sub plot would go somewhere, all it leads to is some idiotic type "voo doo doll". The movie was unintentionally funny, and that obviously hurt the mood of the film. This movie does sport some cool scenes, some nice kills, and some pretty decent eye candy...so all is not totally lost. Definitely not worth 9.75, so netflix it some night.

Give A Slasher Film A Chance.

Author: badfinger17 from United States
16 January 2006

Why did I give this movie a rating of 8? Because I am a huge horror movie buff who loves slasher movies. This movie is a throwback to the 80's that produced several of these type of films. This film does deserve respect, in the fact it is better than the Friday the 13th film that came after the 3rd one and Halloween films that came after the second one. Its not great but it is pretty good, with good fx, OK acting and some memorable death scenes. This is a slasher movie with a good body count. The killer is well I think better than Jason, at least we like the guy before he becomes a killer and even then you feel sorry for him and like him more. This movie deserved more publicity and abetter chance. Yes it could have used some touch ups on the script but its a fun slasher movie. It deserved better. Way better than the very unscary film called CRY_WOLF. That was well boring and awful. this is a movie for true horror fans especially ones who miss the Rat3ed R days of slasher / horror films. Just remember not fantastic or inspiring than Halloween, Scream or Friday the 13th but its good at hanging with the best of them and to put it nicely if this came out in the early eighties instead of rooting for Jason in the Friday films we'd probably be rooting for this guy in slasher films.

Take Care With the Swamp Thing

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 August 2006

When a voodoo witch has a car accident over a bridge in Louisiana, the rejected tow trucker driver Ray (Rick Cramer) rescues her from the overhang car. She begs him to get her suitcase, which she had just dug from the cemetery, from the backseat of the car. When Ray returns to get the object, many snakes are released from the suitcase, bite him and the car falls in the swamp with him. When the police retrieve the car, his body is completely bitten and deformed. In the morgue, Ray becomes an undead murdering the coroner and a police officer and two teenagers later. The teenager Eden (Agner Bruckner) decides to pay a visit Cece (Meagan Good), the granddaughter of the voodoo priestess, with her friends trying to find an explanation, and they are advised to leave the place, since Ray is possessed by the souls of the most despicable villains milked by her grandmother from sinners. While Ray is trying to reap more souls, the group has only the protection of the spelled house and a charm.

When I see a slash movie, I certainly foresee the story: original and savage deaths; gore; beautiful unknown actresses; a few of survivors in the end, if any; a good soundtrack; and a hook for a possible sequel. Therefore, "Venon" fulfills all my expectation for this type of movie. But this film is above the average, since the creepy killer commits brutal murders in a frightening environment, the swamps of Louisiana, and the action scenes are really very well choreographed, keeping the tension. I am not sure whether "Venom" works in a movie theater, but it is a great entertainment on DVD. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Not Available"

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]