IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Excellent neo-noir character driven genre film; Gordon-Levitt shines; always welcome Daniels steals the movie

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
2 April 2007

THE LOOKOUT (2007) ***1/2 Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Matthew Goode, Isla Fisher, Carla Gugino, Bruce McGill, Alberta Watson, Alex Borstein, Sergio Di Zio, David Huband, Laura Vandervoort, Greg Dunham, Morgan Kelly, Aaron Berg, Tinsel Korey. Absorbing neo-noir drama written and directed by Scott Frank (his debut in the latter) focuses on a damaged goods janitor (Gordon-Levitt proving to be the best American actor of his generation alongside Ryan Gosling), a former high school hockey star who suffered permanent damage in a car accident causing him to keep a notepad handy for the simplest tasks, befriended by a local scumbag (a very good Goode), enlisting him to aid in knocking off the bank he cleans for. Gritty, surprisingly poignant and blackly funny character driven genre flick rises above its expectations thanks to a skillful cast including Daniels as Gordon-Levitt's randy blind roommate who sees more than his friend does.

Finally a good movie WORTH paying for

Author: Thugster963 from America
1 April 2007

When I first found out about this movie, the whole premise didn't really seem too great. An Athlete gets in an accident then decides to rob a bank. THAT IS NOT THE WHOLE STORY as a matter of fact that is nothing like the story. Here's a snip it A senior in high school who has everything going for him (star hockey player) gets in a life changing accident. He is now very dependent on others although he tries do do a lot of things for himself, including living with a blind roommate (who by the way is played by the amazing Jeff Daniels) Anyways he works at a bank as a Janitor and every night he goes to the town bar. One night he befriends a guy and meets a nice looking girl. As he gets more into the scene he realize that he is a pawn in their game to help them rob the bank. He is THE LOOKOUT. Well I don't want to give away much more but let me give you this advice. I was lucky enough to have this movie open in my city (which isn't very big) and When I looked at the box office numbers I was disappointed only 955 theaters and a total of 2.3 million? This movie deserves a lot more attention. We need to support actual GREAT films and show that movie goers want GREAT films not stupid comedies *cough* WILD HOGS *cough* Anyways go and pay to see this film right away you wont be disappointed 8/10

**While you go to see this film I HIGHLY recommend Reign Over Me it is a really good film

This is the movie to see!

Author: sisilovesu from United States
6 April 2007

So I was actually going to see "The Reaping which got terrible reviews when at the theater I noticed "The Lookout" was playing and I am a HUGE Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan so I decided to see this movie instead. Thank you divine intervention because it literally made my week! You cared about the characters for once and what happened to them, it was not confusing even though the subject matter was somewhat incomplete until the end of the movie. All in all I thought it was amazing. As usual Joseph Gordon-Levitt played a character whom had been through something most of us had not and yet we are still able to relate with him as we watch his story progress. Scott Frank I bow down and commend you for your feature debut. Hopefully mine is as good as yours.

There will not be many better films this year

Author: somf from United States
30 March 2007

I find it interesting that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in what I felt was the worst or certainly the most overrated film of 2005 "Brick" and now his next crime thriller indie is one that rivals Blood Simple and Memento as a truly classic independent crime thriller. He was very good in the awful "Brick" and he is is really great here, but so is everyone in this fine cast. I love director Scott Franks style and clever script. This might be called more a character piece than a thriller with the moments between Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels being perhaps the most powerful part of the film. No, scratch that; there are a plethora of powerful parts to this film. Isla Fisher is simply beautiful and a chance encounter with her and Jeff Daniels is probably the films most quotable scene but having only seen it once I don't want to ruin Mr. Franks fine writing by misquoting from it and I also don't want to spoil anything at all about this film.

I don't think Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be remembered at awards time, but I hope he is. Jeff Daniels and Matthew Goode are equally deserving for their great work.

This is not a thriller that has you gripping the arms of your seat from the first scene. It's strengths are in the depth of the characters that Franks so skillfully brings out with wonderful camera work, a phenomenal cast and a very clever script. In essence it is more a character study than a pure thriller, and those viewers that may be disappointed by it will be looking more for thrills than this film may deliver. One of the films greatest strengths is that Levitts character is introduced to us four years after a terrible accident. We know he is in a state of recovery and at least as I watched the film I was almost subconsciously looking for signs of improvement in his mental state. Rooting for him to be the young man he once was. Don't miss this film.

Predictable, but entertaining

Author: seawalker from Birmingham, England
7 November 2007

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Chris Pratt (unfortunate last name there, Mr. Frank!), who is a young, good looking guy and the star of his high school hockey team. His life is changed completely when he sustains head injuries in a car crash. Four years later Chris is trying to rebuild his life and work through his physical and mental problems (he has issues with 'chronological sequencing'). Chris works a night time cleaning job in a bank. Chris is noticed by a guy called Gary Spargo, who has plans...

To be honest I thought that "The Lookout" was fairly predictable and didn't really make the most of an enticing setup. But that aside, it is also a fairly entertaining and well put together modern crime thriller.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good as Chris Pratt. As much a cypher here as he was in a great film from a couple of years ago called "Brick". A really interesting performance. I had never heard of Matthew Goode, but he is ... Er... good as Gary Spargo. Sadly I didn't really believe Jeff Daniels as Chris Pratt's blind friend Lewis (too many mannerisms, too much the wise old sage, maybe Morgan Freeman was too expensive?) and I thought that the lovely Isla Fisher as the interestingly monickered Luvlee Lemons (she plays a stripper) was completely miscast. Too young (although she is 31 years old, so what do I know?) and too innocent looking.

A good enough film for an evening out, but again, nothing that has not been done before.

An ultimately disappointing little film.

Author: wirvine1 from United States
30 March 2007

I went into The Lookout tonight with very high expectations, first because of the generally good reviews and second because of the chance to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in yet another interesting role.

Afterwards, however, I am stunned at the wealth of good reviews this film has received thus far. It might have been a good effort for a first time screenwriter, but a seasoned professional like Scott Frank? No. The plot was utterly predictable, the build-up too long, the pay off too small. Isla Fisher's character simply and literally drops off the face of the earth. I am convinced that one character is a bad John Lennon look-alike who is, in fact, artificial intelligence.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great, as great as he can be with this material, but it is the kind of thing even the best actors cannot save. The movie is not without it's moments, but I never truly believed in Chris' disability. Jeff Daniels is a blast to watch as well. Overall, an OK March movie, but I would wait for DVD in May.

what a disappointment

Author: spaektor from United States
1 May 2007

the acting is good enough only to carry short sections of the movie. the script is great, and as you watch and wait for the movie to end, you can see how good it could have been. props to Matthew Goode, best performance in this movie. Isla Fisher was good also, not a touch of Stage 5 Clinger to her.

the entire first half could have been sharpened up and seven or eight minutes shorter. what really takes the wind out of it and detracts from the film overall, is a scene that properly demonstrates the desperation and frustration of Gordon-Levitt's character. the scene where he can't open the can just doesn't do it. no yin up front, no payoff later. the back half of the flick is like a never-ending game of Tetris stuck at level one: you know where everything goes, you just have to wait for the pieces to drop.

Bone was lame. why did Daniels' blind character squint in the morning light? the shootout at the bank looked like it was shot on HDV or something. wtf happened to Luvlee? she just blows town? and i can't believe Carla Gugino doesn't reappear; what a waste of talent, and ass to boot. thank god she's on Entourage. and the look into camera at the end, with that god-awful VO? i cringed. i'd rather watch re-runs of 3rd Rock from the Sun.

Minority Report, Malice, Heaven's Prisoners, Out of Sight... all awesome scripts that were stylistically and technically well-executed to deliver maximum emotional punch. well, maybe not Heaven's prisoners. but anyway, the difference to me is clearly the direction. sorry to say it, being a Gaucho 'n all.

Decent movie that is very enjoyable

Author: MovieCriticMarvelfan from california
15 September 2006

Albeit so predictable after the "real" plot is revealed. Still I got to recommend the film because it has great acting , and the movie overall was well polished.

(Spoilers) Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Chris Pratt who was out cruising with his friends. They get into an auto accident and pretty much Chris is the only survivor. He falls into a coma and awakens four years later and is trying painfully to pick up the shattered pieces of his life.

He's pretty much hit rock bottom, he's the janitor of a bank that doesn't appreciate him and his boss Mr. Turdle doesn't want to take a chance on him becoming a real banker.

Anyways, Pratt meets Gary Bargo (Matthew Goode who gives a great performance as the villain). Gary pretty much comes across as Mr. Cool, and Pratt even tries to steal his lines to pick up girls every time failing. Gary comes across as an OK guy but he has an agenda. Gary wants to rob banks and knowing that Pratt works at one wants Chris to help. Yeah it gets predictable after this point, but there are interesting bits in here.

Chris has a great friend named Lewis Canfield (played by Jeff Daniels who is utterly brilliant here) whose blind. Lewis is sort of the guardian for Chris because Chris's dad is really an ahole. The type of guy that says he wants to help out his son but doesn't want to put his money where his mouth and deliver the goods (i.e. shell out the money for him to succeed). Enter, Gary again who realizes this and tells Pratt that his parents are basically sustaining Chris but at the same time not really helping him enough to be independent.

Gary sweetens the plan to rob the bank by introducing him to Luvlee Lemons (played by Isla Fisher who my God is incredibly beautiful and talented). Some people will debate that Luvlee is there to use Pratt but it's obvious by her absence by the end of this movie that she really did not love him.

Anyways, the plan goes but Pratt gets cold feet about carrying out the bank robbery but Gary will make him follow it whether he wants to or not…… Like I said, it becomes predictable when the bank robbery scenario is introduced but this movie has such exceptional performances by everyone involved that I still have to recommend it. I think anyone whose seen this would have to agree. I saw it at a screening a couple of days in California and the audience loved it.

I liked it too, and really have to say that while some of it was predictable I really enjoyed it. Thumbs up!!!!

perfect follow up to Brick

Author: ctg0724 from United States
21 August 2007

Joseph Gordan-Levitt is currently my favorite young actor. He is much more respectable than these other youth celebrities. But more importantly, he gets himself into much better movies.

The Lookout is storytelling at its best. Though a touch predictable, you don't know exactly how things are going to turn out the way you know they are going to. Its Memento meets Brick; a young guy who has screwed up memory after an accident in which he was changed forever and now is trying to get his life back.

All other actors delivered. No one tried to hog up the camera. It was gritty without being too blood-thirsty, dark but not lacking those special moments and intense but not making you feel like you are on a never ending roller coaster. One minute into the film, it didn't waste any time. 9/10 for me.

Utterly predictable, unimpressive performances

Author: louisrom from United States
2 April 2007

I am shocked at the rave reviews this movie received from people I respect very much. I went in with fairly high expectations and was just bored to death. I found all of the characters unconvincing, though Daniels to a lesser extent.

If the director's goal was to make Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character expressionless, he succeeded. Somehow, I don't think that was his goal. His character, Chris Pratt, communicated little inner conflict, guilt, remorse, anger.

Frankly, I think this movie was just a case of bad directing or worse casting -- Pratt was a drone, Gary, the uber-evil bankrobber, was rote, predictable and unconvincing, even Pratt's parents were virtually blank.

For me, no one in this movie effectively communicated the emotions one would think they should be feeling from scene to scene.

The script was fairly solid and as I watched the film I kept telling myself who could have bailed out this poor directorial performance.

I thought of the following ...

DiCaprio as Chris Pratt (of course, they probably could not afford him) Liam Neasom in a cameo as Pratt's father Michael Imperiale (Sopranos) as Gary.

The list of better choices goes on and on ...

The film made me care little about Pratt, it did nothing to suggest a real connection was made between Pratt and his bank-robber girlfriend (hence, no conflict), there were no breakout scenes of discovery when the protagonist finds what people are up to ...

It plain sucked.

I would like to argue the merits of the film in a professional sense ... but, for me, this was a B-rate film. It is perhaps the only film I've seen in years that made me wonder what the b-roll looked like because -- to use a word from the film -- there was no "sequencing," no logical connect-the-dots a=b, which makes c, which causes d, and explains e...

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]