IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Very Good Film

Author: Scars_Remain from United States
23 September 2008

I found this movie for 2 bucks at a local video store and am glad I decided to grab it. It's a great film with a lot of suspense and twists that will leave you amazed. I saw this right after Joseph Gordon-Levitt's other film, Brick, which I think is superior to this film but The Lookout is still fantastic.

The acting is phenomenal, especially from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels. The story was very intricate and unpredictable. The characters were also great. I liked a lot of other things about this movie as well. It's pretty much a must see for crime fans.

The Lookout is a great movie to watch at night with some friends. You have got to see this one!

Amazin Film

Author: Carlos Souza from Paris, France
5 May 2008

It's an extraordinary film. There are some pictures that is better seeing just on DVD. I saw this one in a cinema near my home and now I am reviewing it at home and the considerations are exactly the same: What a film, what a group of actors. I don't know why Jeff Daniels doesn't win a lot of prizes every year. He is a fantastic actor in comedy, drama and where else he goes. The sequence where he take off his glasses and turn his eyes like a real blind man is something incredible. And the young Joseph Gordon-Levitt is also fantastic. The ritual of waking up, washing, eating and going out every day and the keys in the shoes are perfect ! Thanks to all of you guys that made this interesting movie.

Great Movie!

Author: jjp5152 from United States
7 March 2008

This Movie deserves much more credit than it received. It took a disabled kid and made you compassionate towards him. He was helpless and you cringed to see him taken advantage of by bank robber. Just when all seems lost and his best friend's life is about to end he comes in the clutch with an elaborate plan to outsmart the robbers. I had no idea what would happen while I watched this film, it had me at the edge of my seat. The kid from 3rd rock from the sun is a serious actor now. It was very refreshing to watch and very climactic. I would suggest watching to anybody who hasn't seen it already. Hopefully this didn't reveal the plot too much to you. :)

interesting & emotional... great performances by the leading actors...

Author: sasho_k from Macedonia
29 December 2007

First of all, don't watch The Lookout late at night... talking about the folks who will rent the DVD... Why? Because it's a little slow at times(NOT boring) and some scenes in the first half of the movie where Gordon-Levitt is alone are very calm and quiet so some may fall a sleep while watching it :) and i am not being negative towards the movie here... I wanna say that the mood you're in is also important, it's not your typical popcorn movie with action from start till the end... if you expect that, you'll be disappointed... this one is a afternoon movie :)...

It's true that it incorporates some tricks from other movies but not in a distracting way, at least for me, and i think that those few things are "stolen" from great movies and that's maybe why i was not distracted at all :)... I remember this quote(but can't remember who said it): "When you create something try to be original and if you steal - steal from the best"... i am sure you noticed this in many cases in the past in all kinds of art especially movies and music... Here it all looked fresh, enjoyable and interesting till the end. The story described in one sentence would be something like this: How a former hockey star deals with his own self after surviving a car crash in which 2 of his friends died.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the star here and puts an excellent performance creating a very interesting and unique character capturing the emotion that is needed and Jeff Daniels is great in the shoes of Joseph's closest friend who is blind. I'm looking forward to see Scott Frank's next project.

Also if you like this one check the movie Brick, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and you'll see why is he one of the best young actors at the moment. The Lookout is not groundbreaking but its well worth a watch and for me - one of the best of 2007.

A Bit Disappointing After The Rave Reviews I Had Heard

Author: cheshire551225800 from United States
21 February 2009

While it is refreshing to see a movie where the main characters are disabled in some way, I found the two main characters, Chris and Lewis to be less appealing than expected.

Chris is injured because he was criminally stupid. He recklessly drove a car with others in it begging him not to put them in danger, and he did anyway. He got 2 people killed and 1 maimed besides himself. Someone later asks him if he did any time for this crime (he didn't). Lewis was a Meth cooker who blinded himself through lack of knowledge of the dangers of meth fumes.

One wonders if they would have ever been decent people if they HADN'T been injured. So their injury was in a way their salvation. This theme is set at the beginning when Gugino's character basically states that after her head injury (she was a model) she finally figured out that there were other people in the world who might matter other than herself. Lewis, who has been disabled the longest is now a really great supportive person.

So the theme of redemption through forced inability to live as they had is interesting but a bit harsh. Should we maim or blind people who are selfish and criminal so they will be forced to be better people? At least this film is different than your average heist thriller and the guy who plays Gary (he was in Woody Allen's Match Point as well) was great. Isla Fischer is kind of wasted and any bit of fluff could have done the job although she did the best she could with the part, showing some sort of dimwitted bimbo conscience in the end, although she didn't act on it and basically just ran away and saved herself.

It is nice to see Alberta Watson (mainly known as the Machiavellian Madeleine from the TV show La Femme Nikita) getting some well deserved work. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels were great as usual, but if you want to see a really great Joseph Gordon-Levitt film, then skip this and go for "Brick".

Worth your while

Author: SPaS from Finland
29 December 2008

I like Joseph Gordon - Lewitt. Have liked him since "3rd rock from the sun" and even liked his bit part in "H20". Wondered why he never got the big parts. Because of him, I saw "the lookout". Now this is not a big movie. This is a little b-movie, from the bottom shelf of a video rental store. There are no big bangs, but because it has J G-L in the title role AND Jeff Daniels in a vital supprorting role it's either an overlooked gem with good ideas (in the vein of "True Romance") or... crap, deservingly on that bottom shelf of the video rental store. well, it ain't no "True Romance", but as a "fan" of J G-L, I'm glad to say it's closer to it than the other end. It starts out well, drags an hour or so, but FULLY redeems itself in the end, that is, in small-movie terms, with all the pieces coming together nicely. For fans of challenging thrillers, or, if you liked "Lakeview Terrce", this is definitely a better choice than "Hancock".

Silly and unrealistic but good gunfights

Author: Ozzy2000 from United Kingdom
30 April 2008

An interesting film about Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who loses his girl in a tragic car accident that he foolishly causes, and ends up with acquired brain injuries. From that point you find it difficult to sympathise with him as he continues his life a a janitor in a Bank. He then gets conned by a group of career criminals into joining in their planned robbery of the bank when they discover what his job is.

They use empathy about his previous athletic career and his weakness for pretty and highly sexual females to lure him in. Chris quickly abandons his desire to become a teller and cooperates to the point where he suddenly has this really strange character transformation where he becomes a forward thinking highly sophisticated man of courage.

The film is entertaining and because it failed to draw or impress an audience in the USA and Europe it was not released on the big screen in Australia.

The film is unrealistic to say the least and involves your usual silly gunfights the major problem is it is difficult to develop any sympathy let alone empathy for the protagonist Chris. One minute weakness next resolve it does not work here.

An interesting movie with an intriguing premise and a fine performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Author: Terrell-4 from San Antonio, Texas
6 February 2008

Chris Pratt was a young man with great prospects -- wealthy family, big man in high school, star soccer player, great-looking girl friend, maybe a little too self-confident. Then he was responsible for a horrific car accident. He was driving, racing down a country road late at night with his lights out, and crashed into a parked piece of construction equipment. His girl friend was severely injured. The couple with them were killed. And Chris, five years later, is dealing with the results of major brain damage that most likely won't get better. Now he shares an apartment with a blind guy, Lewis; they kind of look after each other. Chris blurts out things. He gets angry quickly when he's frustrated. He can't remember the accident, but he can remember what he was like before it. He has no girl friend now. He has a job as a night janitor in a small bank. He goes to therapy regularly. He often can't express himself well or appropriately. He can't deal with sequencing. He has to make lists of things to do in the small notebook he always carries with him. And when he writes in the notebook, "Kill Gary," then pauses and writes, "Kill Bone first," we know that at least Chris has his priorities straight.

The Lookout was written by Scott Frank, who gave us three first-rate, tricky and some-times nasty screenplays with Malice, Dead Again and Out of Sight. This is his first directorial job. The movie starts with a great premise but then sort of drifts into a number of Hollywood- style situations where what we see isn't really necessary, except to goose up the sex and violence factors. On more than one occasion coincidence or luck plays too obvious a part. We watch how Chris is seduced and taken advantage of by a smart, sleazy guy named Gary Spargo, who, with his partner, Bone, and a couple of others plans to rob the bank where Chris works. Gary uses Chris's resentments and weaknesses, and the effect of Chris's brain injury, to reel him in as an accomplice. He'll be the poor sap who will serve as the lookout. But things go wrong. Chris changes his mind...and that doesn't impress Gary or Bone one bit. With a cop killed, with Chris' friend, Lewis, taken hostage and threatened, Chris has to find some way to take action. All he can do is make his lists...and then take it one step at a time. The conclusion, if you couldn't guess, is violent, but it all works out for everyone except, of course, Gary and Bone.

Matthew Goode plays Gary Spargo in a heavily sleazy and dramatic way. I assume that's how the director wanted it. (It's amazing to me how many British actors can lose every trace of their accent when playing Americans. Or Australians playing Americans, for that matter. I was convinced Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe in L. A. Confidential were just excellent American actors I'd never heard of.) Greg Dunham plays Bone, who almost never says a word. Bone always wears a long, black coat, has long, black hair and wears black sunglasses. He's not a man to irritate. Dunham has no record on IMDb and looks a lot like Sam Shepherd. I wonder.... Jeff Daniels has a great time as the blind Lewis, a man who has been around, knows the score and genuinely cares for Chris. The star of the movie really is Joseph Gordon- Levitt as Chris Pratt. This isn't just a case of a star turn for an actor playing someone with a disability. Gordon-Levitt keeps it toned down. He doesn't try to appeal for our sympathy. We can see and respond to Chris' frustrations; he's likable and a little irritating. Gordon-Levitt, in my view, turns in a heavy-weight performance.

The Lookout, it seems to me, is a movie that doesn't quite make it, but comes close.

Almost REALLY good

Author: ElZekito from United States
2 February 2008

Damn this was a good movie. Great intro and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is utterly believable in his role. This may be his niche, playing the outsider who finds the solution to a complicated situation (a la Brick). 3/4s of this movie was bordering the 9/10 range. The ending cost this Scott Frank effort a truly elite score. If you watch it you'll see what I mean.. Kinda clichéd idea of the underdog leveraging something against his enemies and coming out on top. But not too clichéd so it along with a few other things caused The Lookout to fall a point in my book to an 8. The other problems I had concerned the three most important non-familial women in his life: The psychiatrist, Janet (played by Carla Gugino), has a great rapport with Chris (Gordon-Levitt) and I would have liked to see her interactions with him as his character progressed (She is seen only once). Isla Fisher plays Gordon-Levitt's seductress and could have used a real closure scene to define their relationship as it is, she runs off in a taxi and then is consoled in a wordless scene by the main antagonist. Which is okay but I guess I expected more from her. Lastly, Kelly -the girl's whose life Chris changes for ever- is seen sparingly and mostly as an object of his past. I was hoping for some dynamic interaction between them -at least he dreams one anyway. Alright enough nitpicking, this is a great movie. Much better than most major box office releases and you'll be glad you picked it up if you do. When I see a movie I like, like this one, I hold it to a higher standard and am more critical of minor defects. So rent it or buy it and be glad you're watching something worthwhile.

A Moderate Memento

Author: Jonny_Numb from Hellfudge, Pennsylvania
27 December 2007

Scott Frank's "The Lookout" is no less gimmicky than Christopher Nolan's "Memento," but has a heart and soul that's undeniable. And while it has every opportunity to be a sentimental, heavy-handed production, it ultimately plays straight with the audience. In the world of independent film, if a movie can captivate the viewer without drawing attention to its own hipness/uniqueness, it has made it 3/4 of the way out of the woods. And "The Lookout"--while taking light cues from Tarantino and the Coen Brothers--is a film that's most interesting (and entertaining) as a character study of damaged lives. On prom night, local hockey star Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) sees his life change in a split second; several years later, he is living with a head injury that's knocked out his short-term memory (he jots down pertinent details on a notepad) and spends his nights cleaning up a lonely Kansas bank; he rooms with the blind Lewis (an excellent Jeff Daniels), who aspires to open a restaurant with Chris; and is accosted by Gary (Matthew Goode), an ingratiating asthmatic who coaxes Chris into helping rob the bank. Frank's script shies away from crime-movie clichés and revolves more around Chris' own fall from grace and his depleted function--Levitt's not-quite-earthbound performance slyly draws us in while keeping us locked out of what is really going on in his head; and Daniels is quite his equal, a blind man who "sees" more than others give him credit for. "The Lookout" is one of 2007's best sleepers, a film that mines excitement and anticipation from character machinations instead of flat-out action.