IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Look out for The Lookout **

Author: edwagreen from United States
27 January 2008

Our protagonist Chris has a big problem.

Since he drove without headlights one evening, he was involved in a major accident that crippled a beautiful girl in the passenger's seat and killed two innocent victims sitting in the rear. That was 4 years ago. Amazingly, Christopher was not imprisoned for this one. There should have been a movie regarding why for that reason alone.

Now, that it's 4 years later, Chris has met up with a motley crew who is plotting a bank robbery. He works for a bank and has ambitions to go further. He joins the thieves and then turns on them.

The picture may be described as being dull. Chris takes notes and his writings are like those of a 2nd grader.

The one good thing about this film is the performance by his blind friend, well played by Jeff Daniels. I have always thought of Daniels as a superior actor since I saw him as Shirley MacLaine's son-in-law in the memorable "Terms of Endearment." Since then, Mr. Daniels has been in a variety of bad pictures and this one is on par with "Dumb and Dumber." Let's call it "Dumbest." This guy is talented but is not getting the proper material to work with.

Fargo without the humor

Author: swinms from Houston, TX
28 March 2007

I liked this movie but, without Jeff Daniels providing comic relief, it would have been insufferably serious. The young actors have lots of promise, though. Matthew Goode and Isla Fisher were creepily believable despite some obvious holes in the story (eg. what happened to Luvlee?). I think it would have worked better as a black comedy in the vein of "Fargo". The setting was certainly similar with that frosty white landscape speckled with blood, violence, and nasty language. Berg, as Cork, seemed to channel Willem Defoe. Where have I seen this character before? "Wild at Heart"? Ms. Fisher's sweet yet trashy and naive character stole the movie for me - complete with her Tinsley Mortimer hairdo. Overall, I've seen these characters and this story before. Still, it is interesting and worth an hour and 45 minutes of your time.

Get ready for Joseph Gordon Levitt

Author: madiver2 from United States
17 August 2006

What a contender for the awards on 2007? You should ask yourself - Joseph Gordon Levitt is ready!

What an amazing and yes a solid film. Scott Frank, you are on fire with a grand grace to bring this writing to film!

Also, this cast works and works in each and every scene. Each scene stands on it's own. And Scott 'gets' what he wants without a doubt. Matthew Goode just blew me away and you will not forget this complex character. Jeff Daniels, the pro, raises the standard that all of the cast must elevate themselves to!

Go see this film for you will not be disappointed...

Slight and insubstantial character piece

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
29 February 2016

THE LOOKOUT is a somewhat slight thriller starring up-and-coming actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt (of INCEPTION fame). The youthful actor plays a guy who gets brain damaged in a car accident and later finds work as a cleaner at a bank. Before long he gets involved with a gang of crooks who are planning to rob said bank.

This somewhat insubstantial film is designed as an actor's piece and thus the thrills are somewhat muted. Certainly it isn't an action thriller per se, because the set-pieces are hurried over and there isn't a great deal of suspense either. These constraints are clearly down to a low budget, but I like my thrillers to be edge of the seat stuff, not slightly meandering like here.

The film was obviously designed as an actor's showcase and we get a mixed bag. Gordon-Levitt is okay as the subdued hero, but I never perhaps felt as sympathetic towards his character as I should. Female stars like Isla Fisher and Carla Gugino fare less well and are skipped over throughout. Matthew Goode (WATCHMEN) is very effective in his part , but Jeff Daniels has a showy, "look at me I'm acting" type role that I didn't much care for.

unbalanced

Author: kennethraine from United Kingdom
2 August 2015

I watched it last night the other films on offer were disappointing. I have seen it before and had it on tivo. The start, for me was too obvious, and expedient. In fact the whole film seemed geared up to the development of a story, in order to reach a prearranged conclusion. To realise that Scott Frank actually wrote it is even more surprising. The rather ignored theme was the relationship between two differently disabled guys, their dialogue and relationship was the interesting driver of the film. The low life thugs were given too much importance in the film, and too much footage. It seemed like Scott Frank used authentic medical information about the good guys. The conclusion wasn,t developed either for maximum retribution.To Scott Frank I say this, the relationship between the good guys was too underplayed, as for the conclusion, watch a few Clint Eastwood films.

wow

Author: blanche-2 from United States
16 February 2013

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is "The Lookout," a 2007 film written and directed by Scott Frank which also stars Jeff Daniels and Matthew Goode.

Chris (Gordon-Levitt) is a young man who was riding with friends one night and turned his car lights off -- when he turns them on, it's too late to avoid a combine stuck in the middle of the road. Four years later, Chris is working as a bank janitor and, because he suffered frontal lobe brain injury, has some problems. These include short-term memory -- he writes everything he has to do in a notebook. He's taking classes, and at present living with a blind friend (Jeff Daniels). He meets with a social worker periodically -- and tells her all he wants is his past life as a star athlete and to be "the way I was." Following the suggestion that he get out more, Chris goes to a bar one night. There he meets a man, Gary (Matthew Goode) and a young woman, Luvlee (Isla Fisher). What he doesn't know is that Gary and his gang of thugs have been watching the bank where Chris works so that they can rob it. Gary's purpose in befriending him is soon made known -- the gang wants his help in the robbery.

Excellent film with wonderful performances. Gordon-Levitt is very good as an unhappy guy who can't seem to forgive himself for the accident. It's a very naturalistic performance and not a showy role. Jeff Daniels does a great job as his roommate Lewis, quirky, funny, and ultimately caring for Chris' welfare.

Matthew Goode, as Gary, is amazing. Though he's scruffy here, I recognized him immediately as the handsome, upper class brother-in-law in "Match Point" with the delicious British accent. Well, there's no trace of a British accent here, and he's tough and mean. Quite the performance, especially if you've seen him in other things.

"The Lookout" takes us through Chris' journey of unhappiness, frustration, and ultimately seduction as he attempts to accept himself and the world he now inhabits. A very fine film, highly recommended.

Good But Missing Something

Author: samkan from Poconos, Pennsylvania
31 December 2009

This is an enjoyable movie that grabs your attention with a fair amount of suspense. The introduction to the characters and the ensuing plot are both believable and intriguing. A central part of the movie is that Chris, the main character, has suffered a brain trauma that significantly handicaps him. The problem is that Chris never appears to actually BE handicapped. Beyond a few vacant stares and forgetful moments Chris seems simply moody, sullen, etc. This detracts from the overall effect of the movie, which would have you understand that Chris' participation in a crime and his manner of resolution are a result of his handicap which, I repeat, is not very evident.

Solid film, but its more of a character study then a thriller.

Author: BernardoLima from Portugal
13 November 2009

An admired high school hockey player,Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) with a bright future foolishly takes a drive in the night with his girl friend and two other friends with his headlights off with results in devastating consequences. The former athlete is left with a brain injury that prevents him from remembering many things for extended periods of time. To compensate, he writes notes in a small notebook to aid him in remembering what he is suppose to do. He also lives with a blind friend (Jeff Daniels) who helps him. Obviously, with the mental incapacitation, he is unable to have meaningful work. Thus he works as a night cleaning man in a bank. It is there he comes under the scrutiny of a gang planning to rob the bank. The leader (Matthew Goode) befriends him and gets him involved with a young woman (Isla Fisher) who further reels him in. After they get close and after reeling him in with his own failures, the bank plan unfolds. Confused but wanting to escape his current existence, he initially goes along with the scheme. After realizing he is being used, he attempts to stop the robbery, which of course immediately goes awry... The lookout is an entertaining and solid movie.Joseph Gordon-Levitt as always delivered a great performance playing a not so easy role.My only complaint is that the movie seems more like a character study then a thriller.The first act of the movie is probably the better and the set up for the robbery is actually more stimulating then the robbery itself.Its very interesting to see how Chris lives his life and how he has to overcome obstacles that to us viewers seem insignificant but to someone with a massive head injury really are a pain.When the actual robbery takes place,the action passes a bit to fast and therefor there's not much suspense,mystery or surprise.Having said that, The lookout is a good piece of work and entertaining as well.

The supporting cast is entertaining but the lead is boring

Author: (butchfilms@hotmail.com) from Peru
15 January 2009

I didn't like much this movie, even though it has a good plot and an interesting supporting cast but the lead character is boring, this character is an invitation to sleep, this character should have been developed in other way. If this film would have had a more interesting lead character I would have rated it with 7 stars

Jeff Daniels as Lewis the blind friend of Chris Pratt (lead character) and Matthew Goode as Gary Spargo, Chris Pratt's new friend are good in here and they both look and act cool, and Greg Dunham as Bone looks like the kind of man you don't want to mess with.

Chris Pratt an ex hockey star from school now is a little slow because of a car accident.Chris lives with Lewis in an apartment and works cleaning a bank at night. One day Chris meets Gary a cool guy who makes him feel special but Gary wants Chris to help him stealing the bank where he works at....

I recommend you to watch "The Lookout" if it's on TV because the plot is entertaining.

I fell in love with Chris Pratt

Author: Allan Brunke from Canada
1 January 2009

After watching this movie a second time, I had to come on here and write a little bit about it. The first time I watched it I was feeling under the weather and didn't pay all that much attention, but the second time I watched it, I was glued to the freakin' screen the whole time.

I fell in love with the Chris Pratt character, Levitt took this character and ran with it. The sheer emotion shown by Chris Pratt in this movie is enough to make you want to cry, laugh and empty your bowels in amazement. I could not believe how well he played this character.

Another superstar performance by Jeff Daniels, thats all I can say. Not many people, besides Morgan Freeman, can play a convincing blind man, but Daniels did an amazing job. I would love to see Levitt and Daniels do another movie together, these two seem to have so much chemistry on scream that I could easily sit through another movie with the two leading.

Enough about the performing, the writing in this movie was to be loved. Scott Frank should be given his own restaurant for writing such an amazing script. Everything from the back story to the suspense filled ending was just... excellent.

Totally, go out and buy this movie, I don't care how much it costs, watch it. You will be just as amazed as I was.