IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Look out for The Lookout **

Author: edwagreen from United States
27 January 2008

Our protagonist Chris has a big problem.

Since he drove without headlights one evening, he was involved in a major accident that crippled a beautiful girl in the passenger's seat and killed two innocent victims sitting in the rear. That was 4 years ago. Amazingly, Christopher was not imprisoned for this one. There should have been a movie regarding why for that reason alone.

Now, that it's 4 years later, Chris has met up with a motley crew who is plotting a bank robbery. He works for a bank and has ambitions to go further. He joins the thieves and then turns on them.

The picture may be described as being dull. Chris takes notes and his writings are like those of a 2nd grader.

The one good thing about this film is the performance by his blind friend, well played by Jeff Daniels. I have always thought of Daniels as a superior actor since I saw him as Shirley MacLaine's son-in-law in the memorable "Terms of Endearment." Since then, Mr. Daniels has been in a variety of bad pictures and this one is on par with "Dumb and Dumber." Let's call it "Dumbest." This guy is talented but is not getting the proper material to work with.

Fargo without the humor

Author: swinms from Houston, TX
28 March 2007

I liked this movie but, without Jeff Daniels providing comic relief, it would have been insufferably serious. The young actors have lots of promise, though. Matthew Goode and Isla Fisher were creepily believable despite some obvious holes in the story (eg. what happened to Luvlee?). I think it would have worked better as a black comedy in the vein of "Fargo". The setting was certainly similar with that frosty white landscape speckled with blood, violence, and nasty language. Berg, as Cork, seemed to channel Willem Defoe. Where have I seen this character before? "Wild at Heart"? Ms. Fisher's sweet yet trashy and naive character stole the movie for me - complete with her Tinsley Mortimer hairdo. Overall, I've seen these characters and this story before. Still, it is interesting and worth an hour and 45 minutes of your time.

Get ready for Joseph Gordon Levitt

Author: madiver2 from United States
17 August 2006

What a contender for the awards on 2007? You should ask yourself - Joseph Gordon Levitt is ready!

What an amazing and yes a solid film. Scott Frank, you are on fire with a grand grace to bring this writing to film!

Also, this cast works and works in each and every scene. Each scene stands on it's own. And Scott 'gets' what he wants without a doubt. Matthew Goode just blew me away and you will not forget this complex character. Jeff Daniels, the pro, raises the standard that all of the cast must elevate themselves to!

Go see this film for you will not be disappointed...

A screenwriter's darling

Author: vostf (vik@noos.fr) from Paris, Fr
15 September 2012

A broken character can easily become a writer's darling. Hey, instead of building up weaknesses deep inside a character a script just has to follow the single thread of poor guy who has to cope with our reality.

Actually this seems to be a very well-written script: general pace, scenes, dialogue. The problem is, when a writer's indulges in the pathos world of a broken character, we have to cope with a passive lead who cannot succeed in anything more than just surviving his own wounds. In the end we have a very nicely written story but it doesn't lead us anywhere. The main character is marginally better off at the end, but maybe he would have been better off anyway.

The funny thing is that it looks like the movie is too linear: we are always in a position of being one step ahead of the struggling hero, so why not try a more creative editing? The hero is advised to start with the end if he has trouble gathering his thoughts, so who's giving free lessons here?

Good But Missing Something

Author: samkan from Poconos, Pennsylvania
31 December 2009

This is an enjoyable movie that grabs your attention with a fair amount of suspense. The introduction to the characters and the ensuing plot are both believable and intriguing. A central part of the movie is that Chris, the main character, has suffered a brain trauma that significantly handicaps him. The problem is that Chris never appears to actually BE handicapped. Beyond a few vacant stares and forgetful moments Chris seems simply moody, sullen, etc. This detracts from the overall effect of the movie, which would have you understand that Chris' participation in a crime and his manner of resolution are a result of his handicap which, I repeat, is not very evident.

Solid film, but its more of a character study then a thriller.

Author: BernardoPinto from Portugal
13 November 2009

An admired high school hockey player,Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) with a bright future foolishly takes a drive in the night with his girl friend and two other friends with his headlights off with results in devastating consequences. The former athlete is left with a brain injury that prevents him from remembering many things for extended periods of time. To compensate, he writes notes in a small notebook to aid him in remembering what he is suppose to do. He also lives with a blind friend (Jeff Daniels) who helps him. Obviously, with the mental incapacitation, he is unable to have meaningful work. Thus he works as a night cleaning man in a bank. It is there he comes under the scrutiny of a gang planning to rob the bank. The leader (Matthew Goode) befriends him and gets him involved with a young woman (Isla Fisher) who further reels him in. After they get close and after reeling him in with his own failures, the bank plan unfolds. Confused but wanting to escape his current existence, he initially goes along with the scheme. After realizing he is being used, he attempts to stop the robbery, which of course immediately goes awry... The lookout is an entertaining and solid movie.Joseph Gordon-Levitt as always delivered a great performance playing a not so easy role.My only complaint is that the movie seems more like a character study then a thriller.The first act of the movie is probably the better and the set up for the robbery is actually more stimulating then the robbery itself.Its very interesting to see how Chris lives his life and how he has to overcome obstacles that to us viewers seem insignificant but to someone with a massive head injury really are a pain.When the actual robbery takes place,the action passes a bit to fast and therefor there's not much suspense,mystery or surprise.Having said that, The lookout is a good piece of work and entertaining as well.

The supporting cast is entertaining but the lead is boring

Author: (butchfilms@hotmail.com) from Peru
15 January 2009

I didn't like much this movie, even though it has a good plot and an interesting supporting cast but the lead character is boring, this character is an invitation to sleep, this character should have been developed in other way. If this film would have had a more interesting lead character I would have rated it with 7 stars

Jeff Daniels as Lewis the blind friend of Chris Pratt (lead character) and Matthew Goode as Gary Spargo, Chris Pratt's new friend are good in here and they both look and act cool, and Greg Dunham as Bone looks like the kind of man you don't want to mess with.

Chris Pratt an ex hockey star from school now is a little slow because of a car accident.Chris lives with Lewis in an apartment and works cleaning a bank at night. One day Chris meets Gary a cool guy who makes him feel special but Gary wants Chris to help him stealing the bank where he works at....

I recommend you to watch "The Lookout" if it's on TV because the plot is entertaining.

I fell in love with Chris Pratt

Author: Allan Brunke from Canada
1 January 2009

After watching this movie a second time, I had to come on here and write a little bit about it. The first time I watched it I was feeling under the weather and didn't pay all that much attention, but the second time I watched it, I was glued to the freakin' screen the whole time.

I fell in love with the Chris Pratt character, Levitt took this character and ran with it. The sheer emotion shown by Chris Pratt in this movie is enough to make you want to cry, laugh and empty your bowels in amazement. I could not believe how well he played this character.

Another superstar performance by Jeff Daniels, thats all I can say. Not many people, besides Morgan Freeman, can play a convincing blind man, but Daniels did an amazing job. I would love to see Levitt and Daniels do another movie together, these two seem to have so much chemistry on scream that I could easily sit through another movie with the two leading.

Enough about the performing, the writing in this movie was to be loved. Scott Frank should be given his own restaurant for writing such an amazing script. Everything from the back story to the suspense filled ending was just... excellent.

Totally, go out and buy this movie, I don't care how much it costs, watch it. You will be just as amazed as I was.

Amazing piece of work...

Author: Anti Andy from United States
14 November 2008

This is one of the best movies I've watched in a long time. The acting was incredible. Particularly, Jeff Daniels and of course Joseph Levitt portrayed their characters with a passion and intensity that is hard to find in Hollywood these days. The weirdness kept me interested. There is sadness, excitement...everything you could want in a film. Even the darkness of the whole thing made perfect sense. When it begins, you think it's just going to be another horror/thriller but it is quickly evident that this assumption is the wrong one. It's not exactly a "seat-gripper", but still an intense piece of art that everyone should see at least once.Every bit of twist was a surprise. Absolutely fantastic film. You simply can't deny the brilliance of it if you give it a chance.

Invigorating

Author: Panterken from Belgium
12 November 2008

Now, I argued with myself about rating this a 9: I sooner award an imperfect ambitious effort with a lot of good intentions with some extra credit than a lesser effort from an experienced and famed director. We can only keep benefiting from acclaimed directors' work for a little time, the search for new talents to refuel audience members' creative needs is a road with more let downs along the way than rewarding and invigorating watches.

'The Lookout' is one of those movies that fills you with hope. Not only does it know how to be subtle and how to pace, it's an economic production, fresh without being far fetched, without trying too hard to be quirky it succeeds to become that way through only a few lines of dialog by Jeff Daniels' sightless character. His character illustrates that handicapped people have every bit as much a right to be flawed (impolite, inconsiderate) than the rest of us. Daniels' sells his lines with such a seeming ease that you wonder why he bothers making comedies of questionable taste (RV).

First time director (but long time screenplay writer) Scott Frank puts his faith into the hands of Joseph Gordon-Levitt to carry the movie, and those who keep an eye open for the next generation of Academy Award winners will know that household name well already (Brick, Mysterious Skin). It's rare to find young actors with such a great deal of exciting movies on their belt, with that in my mind, it's still crystal clear that 'The Lookout' is a - for the time being - career-defining performance. His portrayal of the frustrated, tangled up amnesiac Chris Pratt borders on perfection. His face going to stone, heart nearly stopping, when a friend of his painfully reminds him of the restrictions and impossibilities in his love and professional life. A forced smile, sad eyes looking at us from out of the mists of despair. It becomes painfully clear to him that he's treading water when he's denied a minor loan by his dad. He ignores all his instincts and is exhorted by Gary Spargo into a 'business' deal. Gary's a self-declared friend of his sister's, though when asked about, she has no recollection of him. Chris agrees to help a gang of thugs rob the bank he's employed at, but when he does a volte-face on the plan at the last minute, his bridges are already burned and the misplacement of his trust in two-faced Gary dawns on him. As he rises above his weaknesses (he can't sequence events, has trouble with short-term memory,...) and saves his roommate's life, he takes a first step towards getting his life out of the tailspin...

'The Lookout' entices with it's sincere message of hope, impresses with it's performances (both Daniels and Levitt pull out all stops) and amazes with writing that makes your head spin (the pacing in particular is masterful). Movies that explore extremes can fascinate, but the road 'The Lookout' takes, the one in between emotionally intelligent and intelligent in the more narrow sense of the word (brainy), can lead to excellence too when the right urgency's present in the writing and acting, a little bonus on top of that is the simple, pretty cinematography. Despite the similar sounding premise, 'The Lookout' is nothing like 'Memento'. Nolan's brilliant thriller's script is monumentally intellectual, it's goal is to explore that extreme, while 'The Lookout' ambitions to move it's audience without forced emotional moments whilst also providing a clever plot.