IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

There's a Lot to Be Said for Movies Like This

Author: evanston_dad from United States
29 October 2007

"The Lookout" is the kind of film there needs to be more of.

It's a pleasant, simple genre piece, unambitious, but solidly crafted with strong writing and good acting. That's a formula that is hard to find in current Hollywood movies, and it's woefully under-appreciated.

Gordon Joseph-Levitt has proved himself as a very good young actor, and on the strengths of this movie and last year's "Brick" has shown a flair for picking original projects. In this movie, he plays Chris Pratt, former king of his rural Kansas high school, now a janitor and night watchman in a dead end job at a bank after a car accident leaves his brain addled. A group of small-time hoods convince him to join their plan to rob the bank at which Chris works, preying on his need for friends and his feeling that control of his own life has been taken away. But things go badly, Chris finds out he's been used as little more than a dupe, and he gets a chance to take control when he ends up with all of the stolen money that the hoods desperately want back.

This movie belongs to that genre of films about the kinds of hopeless crime that occur out in the wide open spaces of Nowheresville, U.S.A. It's a movie whose impact relies on good plotting, pacing and suspense rather than graphic violence, and unlike so many of the films Hollywood has been producing lately, it doesn't leave you feeling awful and gloomy.

Jeff Daniels, who in recent years has become one of my favorite actors, does more fine work as Chris's blind friend Lewis, who, despite his handicap, sees more than anybody else in the movie.

Grade: A

Ralph Nader: Indefinitely running.

Author: freakfire-1 from Texas, United States
11 June 2008

Joseph Gordon-Levitt seems to pop up where I least expect him. Having not heard his name since the glorious days of "3rd Rock from the Sun", he turns up in this movie. And while it was surprising, his acting didn't fall flat.

Joseph is paired with Jeff Daniels of "Dumb and Dumber" fame. They are a unique pair. Joseph has loss of short term memory due to a tragic accident and Daniels is blind. Daniels is sharp with his biting sarcasm and crazy one liners. But Joseph is stays serious, distancing himself from his earlier days.

It had some good moments and things really heat up during the robbery. The action with the security guard at the bank along with the plot at the end made it an interesting bit to watch. Worthy of its awards? Doubt it, but it certainly surprised a little. "B"

Look out for The Lookout **

Author: edwagreen from United States
27 January 2008

Our protagonist Chris has a big problem.

Since he drove without headlights one evening, he was involved in a major accident that crippled a beautiful girl in the passenger's seat and killed two innocent victims sitting in the rear. That was 4 years ago. Amazingly, Christopher was not imprisoned for this one. There should have been a movie regarding why for that reason alone.

Now, that it's 4 years later, Chris has met up with a motley crew who is plotting a bank robbery. He works for a bank and has ambitions to go further. He joins the thieves and then turns on them.

The picture may be described as being dull. Chris takes notes and his writings are like those of a 2nd grader.

The one good thing about this film is the performance by his blind friend, well played by Jeff Daniels. I have always thought of Daniels as a superior actor since I saw him as Shirley MacLaine's son-in-law in the memorable "Terms of Endearment." Since then, Mr. Daniels has been in a variety of bad pictures and this one is on par with "Dumb and Dumber." Let's call it "Dumbest." This guy is talented but is not getting the proper material to work with.

Fargo without the humor

Author: swinms from Houston, TX
28 March 2007

I liked this movie but, without Jeff Daniels providing comic relief, it would have been insufferably serious. The young actors have lots of promise, though. Matthew Goode and Isla Fisher were creepily believable despite some obvious holes in the story (eg. what happened to Luvlee?). I think it would have worked better as a black comedy in the vein of "Fargo". The setting was certainly similar with that frosty white landscape speckled with blood, violence, and nasty language. Berg, as Cork, seemed to channel Willem Defoe. Where have I seen this character before? "Wild at Heart"? Ms. Fisher's sweet yet trashy and naive character stole the movie for me - complete with her Tinsley Mortimer hairdo. Overall, I've seen these characters and this story before. Still, it is interesting and worth an hour and 45 minutes of your time.

Get ready for Joseph Gordon Levitt

Author: madiver2 from United States
17 August 2006

What a contender for the awards on 2007? You should ask yourself - Joseph Gordon Levitt is ready!

What an amazing and yes a solid film. Scott Frank, you are on fire with a grand grace to bring this writing to film!

Also, this cast works and works in each and every scene. Each scene stands on it's own. And Scott 'gets' what he wants without a doubt. Matthew Goode just blew me away and you will not forget this complex character. Jeff Daniels, the pro, raises the standard that all of the cast must elevate themselves to!

Go see this film for you will not be disappointed...

Good But Missing Something

Author: samkan from Poconos, Pennsylvania
31 December 2009

This is an enjoyable movie that grabs your attention with a fair amount of suspense. The introduction to the characters and the ensuing plot are both believable and intriguing. A central part of the movie is that Chris, the main character, has suffered a brain trauma that significantly handicaps him. The problem is that Chris never appears to actually BE handicapped. Beyond a few vacant stares and forgetful moments Chris seems simply moody, sullen, etc. This detracts from the overall effect of the movie, which would have you understand that Chris' participation in a crime and his manner of resolution are a result of his handicap which, I repeat, is not very evident.

Solid film, but its more of a character study then a thriller.

Author: BernardoPinto from Portugal
13 November 2009

An admired high school hockey player,Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) with a bright future foolishly takes a drive in the night with his girl friend and two other friends with his headlights off with results in devastating consequences. The former athlete is left with a brain injury that prevents him from remembering many things for extended periods of time. To compensate, he writes notes in a small notebook to aid him in remembering what he is suppose to do. He also lives with a blind friend (Jeff Daniels) who helps him. Obviously, with the mental incapacitation, he is unable to have meaningful work. Thus he works as a night cleaning man in a bank. It is there he comes under the scrutiny of a gang planning to rob the bank. The leader (Matthew Goode) befriends him and gets him involved with a young woman (Isla Fisher) who further reels him in. After they get close and after reeling him in with his own failures, the bank plan unfolds. Confused but wanting to escape his current existence, he initially goes along with the scheme. After realizing he is being used, he attempts to stop the robbery, which of course immediately goes awry... The lookout is an entertaining and solid movie.Joseph Gordon-Levitt as always delivered a great performance playing a not so easy role.My only complaint is that the movie seems more like a character study then a thriller.The first act of the movie is probably the better and the set up for the robbery is actually more stimulating then the robbery itself.Its very interesting to see how Chris lives his life and how he has to overcome obstacles that to us viewers seem insignificant but to someone with a massive head injury really are a pain.When the actual robbery takes place,the action passes a bit to fast and therefor there's not much suspense,mystery or surprise.Having said that, The lookout is a good piece of work and entertaining as well.

The supporting cast is entertaining but the lead is boring

Author: (butchfilms@hotmail.com) from Peru
15 January 2009

I didn't like much this movie, even though it has a good plot and an interesting supporting cast but the lead character is boring, this character is an invitation to sleep, this character should have been developed in other way. If this film would have had a more interesting lead character I would have rated it with 7 stars

Jeff Daniels as Lewis the blind friend of Chris Pratt (lead character) and Matthew Goode as Gary Spargo, Chris Pratt's new friend are good in here and they both look and act cool, and Greg Dunham as Bone looks like the kind of man you don't want to mess with.

Chris Pratt an ex hockey star from school now is a little slow because of a car accident.Chris lives with Lewis in an apartment and works cleaning a bank at night. One day Chris meets Gary a cool guy who makes him feel special but Gary wants Chris to help him stealing the bank where he works at....

I recommend you to watch "The Lookout" if it's on TV because the plot is entertaining.

I fell in love with Chris Pratt

Author: Allan Brunke from Canada
1 January 2009

After watching this movie a second time, I had to come on here and write a little bit about it. The first time I watched it I was feeling under the weather and didn't pay all that much attention, but the second time I watched it, I was glued to the freakin' screen the whole time.

I fell in love with the Chris Pratt character, Levitt took this character and ran with it. The sheer emotion shown by Chris Pratt in this movie is enough to make you want to cry, laugh and empty your bowels in amazement. I could not believe how well he played this character.

Another superstar performance by Jeff Daniels, thats all I can say. Not many people, besides Morgan Freeman, can play a convincing blind man, but Daniels did an amazing job. I would love to see Levitt and Daniels do another movie together, these two seem to have so much chemistry on scream that I could easily sit through another movie with the two leading.

Enough about the performing, the writing in this movie was to be loved. Scott Frank should be given his own restaurant for writing such an amazing script. Everything from the back story to the suspense filled ending was just... excellent.

Totally, go out and buy this movie, I don't care how much it costs, watch it. You will be just as amazed as I was.

Amazing piece of work...

Author: Anti Andy from United States
14 November 2008

This is one of the best movies I've watched in a long time. The acting was incredible. Particularly, Jeff Daniels and of course Joseph Levitt portrayed their characters with a passion and intensity that is hard to find in Hollywood these days. The weirdness kept me interested. There is sadness, excitement...everything you could want in a film. Even the darkness of the whole thing made perfect sense. When it begins, you think it's just going to be another horror/thriller but it is quickly evident that this assumption is the wrong one. It's not exactly a "seat-gripper", but still an intense piece of art that everyone should see at least once.Every bit of twist was a surprise. Absolutely fantastic film. You simply can't deny the brilliance of it if you give it a chance.