IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Taut character study

Author: dfales from Wilmington, NC
3 April 2007

I was puzzled by the range of views about this film before actually viewing it. I correctly guessed that my interests were more closely aligned with those reviewers that rated it highly (thankfully.) Without having seen the trailer and not expecting a thriller, I was able to accept it for what I think it was intended to be...a character study of a damaged character. There were moments when I hoped the pacing would pick up, but for a directorial debut, it was awesome. The acting throughout was excellent. This deserves awards but that process has become too political to predict. If dazzling cgi and spectacular effects are not your measures of merit, you are going to enjoy this one.

Good but Disappointing

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
28 December 2007

Gary Spargo: My old man used to say to me, probably the only thing we ever really agreed on, was that whoever has the money has the power. You might wanna jot that down in your book. It's something you're gonna need to remember.

Disappointing would be the best adjective to describe very talented screenwriter Scott Frank''s (Out of Sight, Minority Report) directorial debut. A great plot is ruined by unrealistic dialogue and a cop-out ending. 'The Lookout' builds up this great story, but it never takes off. I kept waiting for the film to get interesting and when it finally did it only had 15 minutes left in the runtime. The best aspect about the movie is perhaps the acting. Joseph Gordon Levitt is outstanding as always as the film's hero suffering brain damage, while Jeff Daniels provides a powerful dramatic turn as Levitt's blind roommate. Isla Fisher is solid in an unimportant role, but I was not impressed with Mathew Goode's inarguably average performance as the movie's antagonist. Scott Frank's direction has moments of innovative brilliance but for the most it's average and uninteresting. Scott Frank's screenplay is absolutely devastating though. For such a great screenwriter, Frank turns out some pretty trite stuff. Like I previously mentioned, the plot is solid but the dialogue needs some serious work. All in all, 'The Lookout' was disappointing to me after reading all these positive reviews. 'The Lookout' is overall a good film whose positive qualities outweigh the bad qualities. I recommend it, but just don't be expecting anything groundbreaking or Oscar-worthy. Grade: B-

Lookout Fargo.........

Author: merklekranz from United States
2 December 2007

No question there are similarities between "The Lookout" and "Fargo", which is essentially a good thing. The snowy Midwest small town setting. The presumed inept bumpkin cop. The caper gone bad with intimidating bad guys in pursuit. The character development and acting is not nearly as good as Fargo, and there is very little dark comedy as in Fargo. Nevertheless I found "The Lookout" compelling. The story is original and does not drag. Was that "D Day" from "Animal House" playing the father? Anyone who has had someone they know suffer a head injury, will immediately understand why the notebook was so important, and yes he certainly deserved to drive. - MERK

Take a lookout for this small yet decent picture!

Author: Ken Vandenbussche from Belgium
13 October 2007

The thing that truly bothered me is that approximately two weeks after I had seen this film, I had already forgotten about it for the most part even though I did remember enjoying it. I suppose too many movies such as these are made by the giant Hollywood-machine. I can't think of another reason as to why this movie would start to fade away from my mind. It was quite good but I guess in the end there are too many American heist-movies.

The movie is all about a character named Chris Pratt played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. In the movie, he has a terrible car accident after which he tries to get his life back together. The only well-known actor is Jeff Daniels and this is someone who's actually played a great variety of different roles. He's done both action movies ("Speed"), comedies ("Dumb & dumber") as well as serious social dramas ("Terms of Endearment"). In this film he plays a blind man who actually sees things much more positively than Chris; with whom he shares an apartment. There's also Matthew Goode who recently starred in one of Woody Allen's finest films ever namely "Match point". He plays a bit of a mysterious role. It's hard to see his true motives.

In short: a small yet decent picture in a genre that has already spawned dozens and dozens of American movies ... which should account for the fact that "The lookout" doesn't get an awful lot of attention.

Almost saved ...

Author: kosmasp
8 October 2007

I'm talking about the movie itself, but I'm gonna elaborate on that shortly, just let me mention beforehand, that it'd be better if you don't watch the trailer, before you see the movie. It's not that this crime caper/thriller does invent the wheel. But it's clear, that some things will be spoiled for you.

Having said that, back to my summary statement. Mr. Jeff Daniels is the star of the show here. At least every time he's on screen. Some buffs would call him the "Joker", meaning he's responsible for the funny moments in this piece. He's also the mentor and guardian of out main character. Yes Joseph "Brick" Gordon L. is good too in his role (and Isla Fisher is beautiful as ever), but unfortunately it's not really something especially new or different than other movies you might have seen (with the exception of the Jeff Daniels character as mentioned). Still good though! Very good, but I've been spoiled by other movies, that's why it won't get a higher rating.

Lookout for this film

Author: movieman_kev from United States
7 September 2007

Scott Frank as a writer is fairly generic and a tad derivative, but he's also pretty solid and when one goes into any of his films, he doesn't disappoint as they're usually tauntly told tales. This film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Third Rock from the Sun) as Chriss Pratt a slightly mentally retarded janitor who got that way after being involved in a bad car accident, who's duped into being the lookout in a bank heist, is no exception. It's extremely watchable due to the high caliber of acting by Levitt and Jeff Daniels ass Lewis, his blind friend who was matched up with him by a social worker after the crash amongst others. One readily knows how the film will play out and there's nothing in the way of surprises. Yet the well-told, well-acted movie holds your interests throughout none the less.

Eye Candy: Tinsel Korey has quite the stunning ass to behold

My Grade: B+

Region 1 DVD Extras: Commentary by Scott Fran & Director of Photography Alar Kivilo; 8 and a half minute 'behind the mind of Chriss Pratt' featurette; 20 minute featurette on Sequencing the Lookout; and Trailers for "Becoming Jane", "Eagle Vs. Shark", "the Invisible", "Renaissance", "The Hoax", "Neverwas", & "Our very own"

good but my expectations were really high so i was disappointed

Author: ywfb93 from United States
1 September 2007

when this movie went out in theaters and i saw the commercials, there were so many guns, it looked like an action crime drama with a good plot and a good twist, i expected it to be epic, but it turned out to be just a crime drama with a good plot and no twist, they really made a big marketing error with the DVD cover because on the back, some critic sais it has a twist you never see coming, so when i saw this with my friend for the first time, we expected to be amazed and shocked, but don't make the same mistake i did, there is no twist, the very little action there was was good, the ending was good, the way the phrases from the beginning and middle make the good ending, like, start from the end and go to the beginning, and whoever has the money has the power, but its not the movie i expected, this movie is good but it has many many flaws, the script was a bit sloppy because i wasn't really sure what the effects of his condition were because in some parts he remembers people and somethings, but then it sais he has memory loss, so i don't know what he has, at first i thought it was the thing that drew barrymore had in 50 first dates, but i'm still not sure, but the good performances and strong parts of the script made up for its flaws, so i recommend this to you but don't expect the movie you saw in the trailer

Refreshing

Author: goelgen (goelgen@frisurf.no) from Norway
24 August 2007

Although not the best of films, it is a decent flick that manages to break away from the formula of most other run of the mill heist movies.

The portrayal of the police officer, at first had me thinking FARGO, but then when the going got tough, this guy blew me away. This must be the first time a small town cop has been a better shot than the robbers, who were more or less incompetent, as it usually is in real life.

Also refreshing to see a film that doesn't try to set up to many twists and other post modern script flourishes. It was an honest script, that told the story of the protagonist, and also showed us a human, regular guy antagonist for once.

In my opinion it's worth a look, as I said not the greatest film ever, but a great debut, from an exiting writer/director.

very touching

Author: countymd from United States
17 August 2007

The Look Out is surprisingly good. Chris Pratt, the young athlete student who one night turned off his car headlight on the highway, sustained a serious head injury along with killing his good friends in the accident. Chris made it out but became mentally slow. He went along with the wrong crowd, Gary, the head of bank robbers. After Chris realized he made the mistake, he couldn't stop the bank robbing. Somehow, he was able to overcome his head injury, able to think things through, and turned the table around, capturing the robbers. The whole movie was very touching and inspirational as well. Trying to forgive yourself for making big mistakes is very difficult but only then, you can move on and stop making more mistakes. His story is also a warning example. All the main characters are excellent and play the roles to its fullest. A movie worth of watching.

Very rewarding small and fresh Heist-piece

Author: bne982
30 July 2007

THE LOOKOUT is a very well thought through small piece revolving around the maincharacter Chriss Pratt, who is a young man just out of Highschool, a handsome girl-magnet and one of the main Ice hockey stars of his school ... until he has a terrible accident that messes with his brain, so he has no longterm memory anymore and has to come by life with a job as a bank janitor.

Some day he is approached by some "evil" guys, who want to rob the bank he's working at, and want to use him as a tool to get to the money.

The Plot is very straight forward and you seem to recognize all of the characters from other scripts you might have seen put to the silverscreen, but still (or because of that) the movie surprises you sometimes in such fresh and rewarding ways and was created with so much love that you just can't help but clap your hands when the endtitles appear.

It's strongest point though is the acting performance. Every character is played in such a unique and plausible way that the actors/their characters just drag you in deeper and deeper to the surprisingly unspectacular (<-in this case meant POSITIVE) showdown.

If I didn't just see it it would be a total must see for me NOW (conundrum conundrum ;) )

So if you stop by the cinema or Videorent, give this one a try, it will be 100% rewarding.

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]