IMDb > The Lookout (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Lookout

The Lookout More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A frustratingly boring watch.

Author: CineCritic2517 from The Netherlands
28 November 2007

Apart from the many logic holes, this movie is simply boring in a rather unpleasant way.

Our protagonist (Chris Pratt) can't handle the lifting of a spoon at the dinnertable, can't remember to pull out the car-key before exiting and has a general impediment when it comes to sequencing events (sound familiar?). Yet he is allowed to drive a car (albeit most of the time under the supervision of a blind man) and is forgiven that he drives around at night without the lights on. This thanks to a card he carries around which reads that he suffered a head injury but despite the fact that driving without lights got him his injury in the first place.

I would like to have one of them cards, I wonder what I can get away with. Maybe robbing a bank?

We passingly see our protagonist dealing with his life being mentally impaired. But never is his world really explored. Never are the people he encounters really focused on. Some flimsy scenes in some rehabilitation centre, a hasty conversation with a therapist and some repetitive scenes in which he can't remember how to perform everyday actions. With subplots that go nowhere for most of the show, the movie finally picks up some speed as the heist comes closer but this is almost already at the end of it. I wont spoil the ending by telling you what happens but I can safely say it's not up to much either.

The look and feel of this movie is that of plastic and so was the acting of many of the young actors including that of leadsman Joseph Gordon-Levitt who's performance was skin-deep throughout the whole ordeal, never showing us anything other than confusion or acted frustration. Jeff Daniels was the only actor able to put some weight into his role as Chris's blind roommate Lewis, the only 'real' character in this movie.

At no point during this movie I was even slightly entertained and with it's formulaic plotpoints failing to give this film some momentum and absence of clever dialog, the viewer is rocked asleep like a baby.

The lionizing reviews here, with popular usage of the term character-study, are uncalled-for and the current 7.5 this movie scored here on IMDb surely will not last. At best this movie is mediocre and had it been made in the early 90's before we had films like Memento and the overdose of films dealing with bank robberies, it might have scored a small 6 in my book. It being 2007 and all, I will give it a 4 in stead.

Interesting characters, well acted but forgettable.

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
30 December 2012

Too laid out to be mysterious, not gripping enough for a thriller, not compelling for a drama but not bad to be ignored. Depends too much on the atmosphere it has set and the characters tend to be tad too predictable but keep on trying to act mysterious. Though beautifully acted, well developed characters and the screenplay for what its worth holds together, I didn't really seem to care what happens in the end.

Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) drives 3 of his friends to an accident on their prom night ending his short but a successful stint in hockey. He suffers from memory loss after the accident and cannot even remember his day-to-day activities. The story is set 4 years after the accident and now he is attending life skills classes that helps people similar to him, labels and maintains a notepad to remember his daily activities, living with a blind partner Lewis (Jeff Daniels) and works as a janitor in a bank at night. While frustrated with his hopeless life and controlling family, his life starts to look ahead when a stranger Gary (Matthew Goode) gives him an offer to rob the bank he works in (but first seduces him with Luvlee (Isla Fisher)).

The protagonist's condition is not well thought out and is used wherever convenient, some characters are just cut out from the movie abruptly like the co-survivor of the accident Janet (Carla Gugino) or Isla Fisher during the later part of the movie. The way the climax is set up, there is nothing that leaves you to guess - only surprise is that you keep thinking 'thats not gonna happen, it would be too predictable'. Acting and some character development is top notch and the runtime has nothing to complain about. If an attempt is to be very realistic (which is to most extent), it should also be tightly scripted. Otherwise it is just plain awkward.

Interesting characters, well acted but forgettable.

not as good as some would let you believe

Author: (tottenhamtillidie@gmail.com) from sacramento, ca
15 February 2008

This was an interesting sleeper hit which got some rave reviews on here. A lot of people said this was more of a thinking person's movie and not a "popcorn" flick although there are some action sequences later on for those deprived. While this was a well thought out idea, the film took a long time to get going, after 40 minutes, i was saying, "yeh he's got a brain injury, some of his functions are limited, what else!" The movie desperately needed some sub-plots to keep it moving. No complaints with the cast, Matthew Goode was a chilling villain and did a great Midwestern accent for an English guy and its always a pleasure to see the very delectable Mrs borat in any film while Jeff Daniels stole the show as the blind best mate. As well as the movie only plodding along for the first hour, for me there were other plot holes like why Chris would have been allowed to drive, he strange role his family played in this as they were both cold and compassionate at the same time and why he would have the role he did in the bank heist amongst other things. The ending also disappointed as he really should have been charged in some way for being complicit in the bank raid and while I'm very much an anti Hollywood happy ending person, there should have been something else happening, I'm not sure what but it all ended on an anti-climax for me. These faults aside, its still a good movie and it would be interesting to see what the writer/director would do with a bigger budget and if he just concentrated on directing.

Familiar Yet New

Author: fwomp from United States
17 May 2008

A wholly original but — at the same time — familiar film, THE LOOKOUT has that bank heist noir feel with a human twist.

I started searching out Scott Frank films (writer and director of The Lookout) after watching GET SHORTY many years back. His snappy dialogue and unique look at 'fish-out-of-water' characters caught my attention and I've been pleased with his most, if not all, of his work.

Add to this film the talents of relative newcomer Joseph Gordon-Levitt (BRICK) and veteran Jeff Daniels (GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK) and I was intrigued ...to say the least.

The familiar element is the bank heist reminiscent of THE SQUEEZE (1978) with Lee Van Cleef. The unfamiliar comes from Chris Pratt played by the aforementioned Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's damaged goods. Not just mentally but physically. Involved in a car crash that killed several friends, injured another, and left Chris with a traumatic brain injury, the audience is left to ponder what would have become of an all-star athlete who now has serious lapses in memory and can only hold down a janitorial job at a local bank.

Living with another handicapped man named Lewis (Jeff Daniels), the two are an odd, disabled pair. Lewis helps keep Chris on-track with his brain-injured therapy, while Chris plods along trying to make sense of the changes in his life that aren't really changes at all ...just problems with memory. His frustrations are palpable, including his problems he has with his father who doles out guilt money only as he sees fit.

Into the picture comes a group of bank robbers with their eyes on Chris. Included in the group is a lovely young lady named ...well ...Luvlee (Isla Fisher). Gaining Chris' trust (and sexual advances) Luvlee soon reveals her true nature. Handing Chris into the deadly hands of her cohort Gary (Matthew Goode, MATCH POINT), Chris finds himself at the center of the heist at the bank where he works and stuck without a way out. Or does he have one? The fact that the audience is left guessing as to the depth of Chris' brain damage is a nice ending. How much he actually knows of what he's doing and why is an unusual turn on a familiar film road. The weaving in and out of the night of Chris' deadly car crash with his current no-win situation is pulled off exceptionally well and had me glued to my seat. And Jeff Daniels' masterful portrayal of a blind man with a set of chops also added immensely to the film's success. And Luvlee is pretty nice to look at, too (wink!).

A good heist film that has helped relaunch the genre in a new direction ...far removed from things like the OCEAN'S films.

Powerful Performances Excels this Overlooked Heist Drama

Author: Floated2
7 November 2013

The Lookout tells the story of an ex hockey athlete (Joseph Gordon- Levitt) who had a great life leading up until a tragic accident in which him, his girlfriend (at the time) and a couple of friends crashed into a combined on the side of the road. Fast forward 4 years later and we still that Chris has brain damage and is slightly handicapped (he makes notes of what to do each day by writing in his notepad- Memento influence). We also noticed that he now lives with a blind older man Lewis (Jeff Daniels) in which is discussed on why later in the film.

The Lookout is a very fascination film in which plays more of a character study than its typical heist film. The first half of the film we really get to know Chris, as we see what he does (works as a janitor at a local bank), where he lives and how he faces his problems surrounding him. The first 40 or so minutes of the film takes us on his journey as we see Chris get more nervous as we see him introduced by Gary (Matthetw Goode). He meets him at his local bar in which he happened to know Chris years ago along with his sister (we aren't sure whether or not he is lying but as the film goes along we get more clues). Around 42:40 we see Chris stumble in the basement of his friends's house in which we see Gary, along with his three other friends. Chris spots pictures on the wall then notices that Gary has a few photos of the bank where Chris works at. Chris getting nervous asks a strew of questions, and around this point in the film is where the film gets its faster pace and we finally see that Gary is not the guy Chris was lead to believe. I found it predictable in which Gary was simply using Chris for the sake of robing the bank. It was clear from the first moment in which they start talking that Gary wanted something out of him (in which he also sets him up with one on his friends a dancer/stripper Luvely- played by Isla Fisher). At this point the havoc starts and the films takes a turn for the better because we are now seeing Chris panic and wondering how and what he will do in this situation.

Following the plan, Chris of course decides to take note on the heist and allows to take orders from Gary. Right an hour into the film we see Chris standing outside looking for the truck in which has its stash of money. We then see him call Gary and the heist plans then takes notice. Around 10-12 minutes later we see that the plan is in action as they are inside the bank and Chris has taken advantage of stealing the cash. Few scenes later, the cop whom stops by the bank to see if everything is okay, returns unexpectedly and notices that something is up when he is shouting Chris' name but he doesn't show up. Later on he notices something out of place and spots Chris' reflection in the back so as he is walking away, drops his donut box, then Gary and his crew pop out from behind the walls and start shooting. Of course since he saw, they decided to kill him which was of course to happen. The violence in this scene was very quick and to its point. Afterwards Chris is in more panic as he flees from the scene stealing their car and heads away. Having the bags of money in the truck of the car, Gary decides to take a visit at Chris' house where he sees Lewis. Chris then calls the house, Lewis picks up and Chris notes that Gary and his crew are there. They wanted the cash so Chris decides to take matters in his own hands by settling a meeting time and location. Upon doing so, we see that he visits his father's house late at night (his father or mother don't notice) and stashes a shotgun inside one of the bags of money.

Finally towards the ending in its final last few scenes, Chris having made the phone call to Gary telling him where to meet up, they eventually do meet (Chris having the bags of money, Gary having Lewis hostage) then the havoc starts. As Chris is taking out the bags of money from his truck, Bones- Gary's crew member is watching him with his shotgun in hand. He then throws him one of the sack for him to stash away in Gary's car. While this is happening, he takes Lewis out the car and puts him on the ground facing full forward having the shotgun right in his face (Lewis being blind does not know what exactly is happening). As Bones is about to shoot, Chris takes the other bag of money and takes fire of the shotgun (the gun is still inside the bag but he has his grip, and feels where the trigger is) shooting Bones right in the face killing him. We then see Gary lying down in pain (from getting shot by the cop at the heist scene), and see Chris approach him as he is lying there helpless. He kicks away his inhaler then the scene briefly ends. We don't see whether he kills him but we are lead to believe he does.

Fast forward again, and we see Chris speaking in tone about what happened. "Once upon a time, I woke up, and I robbed the Noel town bank". Then we see that he confessed to being apart of the heist and his punish was given. As continuing telling his tale, we note that his restaurant with Lewis is doing well and he still has plans on skating. The performances were all brilliantly done, as JGL delivers one of his best performances.

Decent heist film with a twist

Author: monkeyboy12121-414-225890 from United Kingdom
25 April 2013

Watching a lot films takes it toll, as you work your way through all the 'predictable' ones or random action films. However the lookout gave a very fresh idea and it was delivered well, it has action, good characters and a likable protagonist. So why did i give it a 7?

Well, the premise is this. Chris Pratt (Levitt) plays a janitor who had a serious accident some years back and has been left with emotional scars and a lifetime scar of being unable to remember certain details- such as forgetting to lock his car etc. He lives a droll life and is haunted by his fatal incidence and wants to be treated as something more than a 'handicapped' person and is one day approached by a stranger to become involved in a bank heist.

The movie is somewhat slow into getting to the main plot but it is necessary to build up an idea of what Chris is like and also of the characters around him, like his good friend Lewis (Daniels). The film is tense at times but I felt like these were 'false alarms' and I expected them to not materialise and i thought this could have been executed better.

However the film does have decent character development and also has a smart twist in its tale and is definitely worth a watch if you're bored of trudging through the same old films over an over again.

An Engaging Crime Film

Author: Desertman84 from United States
29 March 2013

The Lookout is a crime film is about a former high school hockey star handicapped in a tragic car accident becomes an unlikely ally to a crack team of determined bank robbers in this thriller starring Jeff Daniels and Joseph Gordon-Levitt together with Matthew Goode, and Isla Fisher. It is the directorial debut of the screenwriter Scott Frank.

When his promising career on the ice is suddenly cut short, former athlete Chris Pratt goes to work as a janitor in a local bank. Cleaning floors soon gives way to criminal enterprise when the onetime puck- slinger is recruited to help clean out the very bank that employs him.

This is a straight-ahead drama, perfectly accessible though psychologically intricate, coupled shrewdly to a crime thriller. It is sometimes deliberately paced, and then intensifies at unlikely moments, artfully blending pulse-stopping, nerve-jangling suspense with sharp dialogue and nuanced portrayals. Also,it is an engaging, smartly directed thriller with fantastic performances from Gordon-Levitt and Daniels, though the script commits a couple of glaring errors along the way.

A must see!!!

A very Memento like movie

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

A very Memento like movie, without the extremes of tattooing everything on your body to remember. However, we know what our main character has in the beginning of the film. He lives with a blind roommate and goes to school every day. A school that teaches him to live a functional life after his car accident, a car accident that left him with some pretty debilitating head trauma.

He then emerges from his isolated life when he's approached by Gary, who asks him to do some pretty big and illegal. The movie follows our main character as he tries to make vital decisions about his future.

I adore Joesph Gordon Levitt, he looks surprisingly like Heath Ledger. Either way, he's a wonderful and diverse actor, who makes excellent movie choices such as Inception, Brick, and 500 Days of Summer. And this just another one of those good and interesting movies.

It's not too emotionally draining and it has the right amount of suspense and a likable main character. I recommend this movie for those who like an interesting person with unique memory issues.

a little nugget of entertainment

Author: pfblevin from United States
14 November 2010

This movie is quite a surprise. I read a brief synopsis of the movie and was expecting something different but actually was pleasantly surprised by the plot twists and turns, the depth of the characters and the overall tone of the film. I would recommend this movie to all who go to movies to be truly entertained but also that require a little thought instead of mindless dialog, overblown action scenes, and pointless sexual content. All in all the acting is excellent and I think Jeff Daniels is becoming one of our premiere character actors. I really enjoyed him with Clint Eastwood in "BlloodWork". I also think Joseph Gordon Levitt is highly underrated as an actor. Carla Gugino gives her usually knock out performance--I have a 'girl crush' on her. I think all the actors did a really great job with their roles.

simple, short and great movie

Author: Ashwin Saga from chennai
13 October 2014

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has put as much effort as possible. The "fire fly" part is the most romantic scene. It was a great movie though. It thus says that visually challenged are brilliant enough to find out the things that are happening in-front of them. The routine work can be altered in any other way. Then i understand the feelings of the people with memory loss. And it also says that we shouldn't interact with strangers anywhere."Luvlee" is a pretty girl who had intercourse with Chris should have warned about Gary Spargo and his friends. The Deputy is a very good friend of Chris by bringing him donuts very night even in the cold weather. This poor Chris robbed a bank under compulsion and the finishing touch is hiding his dad's gun in the money bag itself for shooting Gary and Bone to save his sightless friend Lewis. Though it's Chris fault for his memory loss after the accident, his dad must take care of him and lend him money when he asked for it and now his dad became the main reason for Chris to rob a bank, but his mother bought him a suit but he is not convinced by that. Then i found that Kelly is alive but in his dreams with prosthetic-leg. I'm happy that Chris is not convicted for the bank robbery and must thank Marty who works in that bank who kept the CCTV on.

Page 2 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]