IMDb > The Invasion (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Invasion

The Invasion More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Scared the Crap Out of Me

Author: (deletewindowson) from United States
5 December 2012

Yeah it did. For some reason these bodysnatcher flicks are the ones that really creep me out. You're mileage may differ. Reading the reviews I see that is true. Seems a lot of folks really hate this movie. I don't know why. Don't care either, to tell the truth. I gave up giving the remotest damn about what haters hate years ago. Nicole is a hottie. Boy is she ever. Shapely, beautiful, and she loves her kid. I like to see that.. a woman who fights to save her kid. Too many movies are populated by worthless passive goons who won't defend themselves. Love the way she gunned down them stinkin' alienized zombies. Obviously the good doctor knows a thing or two about handling a firearm. Yay on that! Can't stand people who won't defend themselves and their loved ones. Really. And her kid got plenty of guts too. Imagine having to stick a needle in your mom's heart to get her going' again. Yikes! Double yikes! But he did it. A chip off the ol' block(ette)? SPOILER: Has a happy ending. I was worried it was going to be one of these "modern" flicks that sows dispair and leaves you depressed because the ending is bleak and awful. I hate those loser flicks. Really. What kind of entertainment is that?? Bottom line: me, I found this flick watchable.

It's different alright

Author: blazing_effigy from Netherlands
19 May 2008

I'm a big fan of the original of the 50's and the remake with Donald Sutherland. So many years later and the original is still scary, way ahead of its time!

Spoiler alert! The cast of this new version (can you imagine third remake!) is fantastic. Nicolle Kidman is amazing as is Daniel Craig, though I found him less convincing after he was changed. Jeremy Northam was great as scary dad.

I always try and watch remakes without comparing it too much with the original. This was a good movie but didn't impress me too much. But if you DO compare it I found this one not so scary, I missed the horrible screaming of the "changed" persons". The original and first remake just do a better job. The fact that in this remake they suddenly find an antidote makes it an American movie that has to have a good ending. My feelings are mixed about this one.

My movie is not my movie;)

Decent, but arguably the least of the four

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
6 September 2014

"The Invasion," starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, is the fourth in the quasi-franchise based on Jack Finney's 1955 novel "The Body Snatchers" about an alien invasion where people die and their bodies become pod-versions of their former selves. The entries in the series are as follows:

- "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) - "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978) - "Body Snatchers" (1993) - "The Invasion" (2007)

The first one is in Black & White and is probably too dated and tame for most modern viewers, but it's still worthwhile; it takes place in small town, California. The 1978 sequel switches the setting to the big city of San Francisco. The 1993 sequel switches to an army base in the deep south. And this 2007 version switches back to the big city of Washington DC (shot in DC, Baltimore and Los Angeles).

I prefer the 1993 film, followed by the original, and then the 1978 version and this one. What I like about "Body Snatchers" is the cast and the setting; the Army base naturally makes it easier for the alien imitations to go undetected. Unfortunately, "Body Snatchers" bombed at the box office and so did this one.

Although I like Daniel Craig, I'm not big on Kidman; I can take her or, more likely, leave her. Those who are Kidman fans will appreciate this entry more than me. It's not bad; it's got some creepy moments and quite a bit of action, particularly car chases, but the story's too city-bound for my tastes and filmmakers take the safe route with the horror, unlike the other versions. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. Why should every film end on an ultra-downer note? I respect this different approach.

The film runs 99 minutes.

GRADE: C+

Pretty Freaky at points, had its fair share of flaws but certainly not as bad as 5.9/10

Author: ollyoxenfree1997 from Petawawa, Canada
27 September 2013

I honestly don't understand why people think this movie is that bad. It isn't an amazing movie but it isn't the piece of crap you'd think it is from a 5.9/10 rating (admittedly there is terrible exposition, and excessive use of jump scares). The politics is pretty unsubtle - coming from me that is saying something (it is difficult for me to get the message quite often but with this one it was definitely clear, I sat through Atlas Shrugged pt1 without really thinking for a second 'hey maybe they're trying to make a political point'). It is a fun movie, and I'd watch again, probably not buy it but definitely if it was on TV.

Highly infectious viral plot.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
9 September 2008

Don't show emotion, don't blink your eyes, walk like a zombie, and above all don't go to sleep -- or else you change into a simulacrum of your former self. Where have we heard this before? Well, it was a story in Collier's Magazine in the early 1950s. It was made into a superior low-budget science fiction movie by Don Siegel in 1956. Remade and up dated in the 1970s. Done again, with less panache, ten years later. Then Carpenter's remake is in here somewhere. And now, yet again, the permutations of the plot have been shuffled and here we go.

This time, Dr. Binell is Nicole Kidman. It's from a woman's point of view, and she has a child that must be protected. See, women are more helpless than men, and children even more so, so that less effort needs to be put into the attempt to involve the audience in the protagonist's predicament.

There is no mention of pods, though I kept thinking throughout of the victims as "pod people." This time, what appears to be "the flu" is "going around." One wonders where the flu "goes" when it's not going around. Some vast staging area in the sky probably. But, as the experienced viewer already knows after the first few minutes, this is a remake of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and the problem has nothing to do with earthly pathogens. It's a large virus from outer space that goes to work in the human body when "hormones are released during REM sleep." (There are several inserts of gurgling blood streams and bursting spiked basketballs, just so we understand what's up.) The extraterrestrial virus does something to the skin before it morphs the victim too, so that we see one guy, half-morphed, who looks like a thousand-year-old freeze dried Peruvian mummy.

The plot is nonsense but it hardly matters. The plot of the original was full of holes too, but Siegel did such a good job of conveying the small-town atmosphere of Santa Mira and the performers were so good at their jobs that the impression left at the end was that of a good fairy tale.

This one is a bad fairy tale, tasteless, tawdry, cheapened in every way except in terms of budget and cast. There's nothing wrong with the cast. Nicole Kidman is expert at handling some challenging roles -- "To Die For" and "Eyes Wide Shut" come to mind -- but she has nothing to work with here. Basically, she runs and runs and runs, usually tugging her child by the hand, while pursued by gangs of zombified goons. There is no atmosphere to speak of, and less character.

The direction is perfunctory and the script pandering. There are shoot outs, grotesque spastic semi-corpses, falls from skyscraper rooftops, transmission by means of vomit colored like spinach dip, multiple car chases, multiple car crashes, and gore galore. It borrows clichés from every action thriller you've ever seen, including a gratuitous hypodermic jab into the heart, from "Pulp Fiction." It raises, almost by accident, some interesting questions. In the background of all this hectic activity, we notice on TV that the world leaders have stopped bickering because, presumably, they've been infected with the virus. Kim Jong Il disbands his nuke project; the president turns Iraq over to the Iraqis; pharmacies give away vaccines for AIDS, and so on. Zombies have nothing to fight about or to covet, you understand. So, then, what's so bad about zombification? The original posed an interesting conflict between humanity, with all its flaws and virtues, including love, and a placid but will-less existence. Absent here. And is Kim Jong Il a pod person? Is George W. Bush? And, if the victims don't really care about anything, how do they reproduce?

The film raises another interesting point. There's a virus going around, for sure, but it's a viral idea that spreads from production to production, first insidiously, then fulminatingly, leading to terminal Gargantuanosis. An idea, once proved to be commercially successful, invades the other Hollywood cells and forces them to replicate the DNA of the original until they finally pop and release still more viruses into the cinematic blood stream and before you know it, every new movie you see is a replica of an earlier one, whether this is acknowledged in the title or not. Yes -- "The Invasion" is the perfect title for this piece of brummagem garbage.

Studio killed the atmospheric thriller.

Author: dead47548 from United States
25 April 2008

It's a shame to think what could have been, had the studio not wanted the film to be so commercial and therefore destroyed whatever Hirschbiegel hoped to achieve. It's clear that he had a great picture going, until they took over and crafted a final act that was almost unbearably predictable for such a unique and terrifying story. The first hour is incredible. The plot line itself is terrifying as humans are taken over by an alien being that makes them empty shells, striving for a perfect world without sin. The acting all around is pretty spectacular and nobody misses a mark by showing any emotion when it's not required.

Nicole Kidman stars as Carol Bennell a woman who notices the strange things happening around her, but the government's decision to keep everything quiet and publicize this alien invasion as a simple flu leads to her not realizing what's happening until it's too late. Now, with the help of her doctor best friend Ben (Daniel Craig) she has to go and find her son (Jackson Bond) and get out of the city before they are taken over. Luckily for her, her son is also immune to the virus meaning he may also hold the means for a cure. So the race is on to find him, and Carol must pretend to have no emotion in order to trick these body snatchers. I've never been a fan of Nicole Kidman, but I must say that her performance impressed me here.

Up to this point, the film is a knockout and was looking to become one of the best of the year and something that I couldn't really understand why everyone hated so much. But then she finds her son, and that's when the obvious studio takeover occurs. The rest of the film features horrendously predictable plot points and an ending that is just jaw-droppingly unreal, with some very out of place action scenes and a car chase that is laughably ridiculous. It's a shame that something so promising could turn into such a mediocre commercial thriller. Hirschbiegel also sets up some political commentaries on how the American government reacts to epidemics and how flawed this is, but that's thrown out the door as well when everything turns into explosions and fast cars.

A great commentary on what makes us human.

Author: johnmcevoyphoto from United States
19 April 2008

John McEvoy Feature Movie Review: "The Invasion"

The timeless beauty of Nicole Kidman graces the screen again in the latest and greatest film adaptation of the 1955 novel "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," by Jack Finney. Just as the previous three body snatcher films preyed on society's deep rooted emotions through the fears of the time, this film touches on our contemporary fear of infection. It also makes a powerful statement about what makes us human. Throughout the film, the viewer is kept abreast of what is happening in the news headlines: "Three American soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq." "Border war prolongs Darfur's misery." The most compelling news in the beginning of the film is the destruction of the space shuttle "Patriot," which blows up in a spectacular fireball during re-entry. Lurking in this scattered debris are spores able to survive the bitter cold of space and the heat of re-entering earth's atmosphere. Once inside the host, these microbes change human DNA during REM sleep and turn victims into passive automatons of one sinister mind. This is a much more believable scenario than the previous films where alien seed pods duplicate the bodies of the host and then assume their identity after murdering the still sleeping human. One of the earliest infected is Kidman's ex-husband, who coincidentally is one of the directors at the Center for Disease Control. Through his powerful position he orchestrates a massive inoculation for what is being reported as a dangerous strain of the flu. Within a few days, changes are becoming obvious as more and more people transition from emotional human beings to apathetic aliens. The news declares: "Bush and Chavez reach an agreement of cooperation," and "The Janjaweed have agreed to lay down their arms." Peace is breaking out all over the planet. Also entirely too coincidental, Kidman's son Oliver is immune to the alien threat because of his contraction of small-pox as a child. This is not discovered however, until after Oliver has been dropped off at his father's for a visit and before Kidman suspects her former husband is a part of the plot. What follows is a suspenseful and dangerous quest to rescue her son and then a heart pounding, edge-of-the-seat ride to escape the city infested with insidious aliens. Unlike previous versions of the Finney novel where one is left in a world full of aliens and no chance of remaining human, this movie ends with a sense of triumph over evil. After killing a few aliens along the way, Kidman recovers her son and gets him out of the city and to a place where people are still people. Using her son's blood, a vaccine is created and the world is saved. Although this movie was a box-office disaster, it is an enjoyable, 90-minute escape from reality. Or is it? News flash! "Today there were 83 more deaths in Iraq." "North Korea threatens to stop dismantling its nuclear reactor." When asked by a reporter if the alien virus had been eradicated, an official replied, "Pick up a newspaper. For better or worse, we are human again."

defective product

Author: T Y from United States
30 January 2008

You know when capitalism goes bad at the movies, because the producers forget to conceal that viewers are really just consumers. The first half of this movie is average, and then the second half arrives, heavily bandaged, and relying on convention so much that it just becomes dumber and dumber until it falls to pieces. The more convention reigns, the less specificity you get, and the less satisfying everything becomes - and the more you ask, why did they think this remake was necessary? Sadly, convention is what makes nervous industry execs relax and open their checkbooks. This movie makes us spend a lot of time in alleys, parking garages, and cinder block service-halls. I guess they saved a ton on sets. But as I was popping in my next movie, I was thinking, "Did I really just watch a movie whose climactic scene involves waiting around a convenience store?" Everyone wears gray and black after they go pod. No one with an ugly coat or bad hair, no pre-teens in slutty clothes. Everyone looks like they work at a creative agency. The town at the end is supposed to be D.C. or Baltimore (I lost track), but it's clearly L.A.. It's all unspecific and interchangeable.

Prior to the invasion Kidman isn't exactly lively. She whispers all her lines, so very little difference registers when she needs to become chilly to blend in. Another problem lies exactly where it should have been anticipated; the more people become pods, the less emotional range the actors can show. But here they're all haughtiness, peevishness & resentment. The more emotion they show, the LESS scary they are. Poor Jeremy Northan has just one scene before he's off to pod land. It takes a lot of work to make Craig look unattractive but they succeed here.

The reconception of the pod outbreak as an infectious cycle results in a movie that behaves more like the zombie flick, 28 Days Later. Of all the reproductive methods shown in the invasion movies, I was fine with giant quivering gummi-bears, slimy pupas, tentacles snaking up people's nostrils, but puking into the beverages of unsuspecting victims is just grotesque. There are two thoroughly nasty shots of wait-staff bending over a service table, hocking into coffee pots (in plain view) which are so over the top they'd be comical if the movie was a subversive riff on how oblivious the population is. No such luck. It's merely disgusting. The shots are as absurd as anything in Buckaroo Banzai, another movie where aliens hock things up out of their throats. Maybe the next remake should be a comedy. It might have been a beautiful send-up of Scientology.

Kidman's movies have had enormous problems lately; this movie, The Stepford Wives, and I'm going out on a limb (because I haven't seen it) Bewitched. Twice now she has had to return to the studio to shame-facedly reshoot inept, revised finales. The end here, which reverses everything, is in every way the equal of the nonsensical conclusion that was duct-taped onto her rotten Stepford Wives remake.

It must be a grim moment after a dud preview, and after you've brought in the Wachowski Bros to spice things up (and John McTiegue to pinch-hit) that you realize nothing can rescue your movie. I'm guessing this occurred during the late night shoot of a careening car piled high with evil pod businessmen in a failed effort to portray something thrilling. In the ridiculous 'making of' feature, the crew is as dumb as modern culture allows. They're still pushing the idea that the first movie was about Communism, when Siegel has continually asserted that it was ridiculing suburbia. The Communism & McCarthism allegories, fascinating though they are, came later. Keep your eyes peeled for a ridiculous starstruck physician (Marc Siegel) and a Homeland Security Researcher (Terry O'Sullivan) who must be pretty desperate to appear as talking heads, and take a paycheck for badger viewers about a crap sci-fi movie.

Made by the pod people

Author: petra_ste
20 January 2008

The only pleasure from watching this movie is a smug "I-knew-it-was-crap" aftertaste; still, it's a Pyrrhic victory after wasting two hours of your life with this insipid mediocrity.

There are three previous Invasion of the Body Snatchers films that I know of, and this is by far the worst of the bunch: it lacks the creativity of the Siegel version, the memorable ending of the Kauffman remake and the creepiness of Ferrara's. Plus, it lacks a defining chilling moment - although the thought this script was approved is pretty scary in its own right.

You don't really need me to give you the plot, do you? Alien organisms, people start to change, "my husband is not himself!", and yadda yadda yadda. I am a Nicole Kidman fan, but she could give this kind of performance in her sleep. Daniel Craig looks somewhat constipated, with the awkward, tired expression of a python which has just swallowed too big a prey. It doesn't help many actors playing the infected humans are dreadful, with the predictable "robotic pantomime, cold glance" shtick.

Like an incompetent magician, the movie shows its tricks too soon. In the others Invasion movies the most unsettling part was the setup, the growing realization of an unspeakable horror. Here characters understand everything at once and are remarkably calm about it: "Oh, it's a virus from outer space which changes people's personalities" claims a scientist without raising an eyebrow.

The only element of some interest is the moral dilemma the main character seems to face at a certain point - what's better, our normal existence or a world without freedom but also devoid of violence and fear? Of course the dilemma is quickly forgotten in favour of a perfunctory car chase.

Oh, and there's a scene in which Kidman finally falls asleep (I can't blame her - I was tempted to do the same) and her ten-year-old son gives her an injection in the heart to save her. Huh-huh, sure.

What Invasion lacks is tension, depth, good character development, interesting dialogues and, in brief, a reason to exist. Apart for that, it's okay.

Political commentary ruined by a shoddy production

Author: daniel charchuk
6 January 2008

Occasionally it works - mostly with regards to the political commentary the film attempts to weave in - but it's bogged down by a schizophrenic story, some terrible acting, poor writing, and some of the worst editing I've ever seen in a film. It makes Michael Bay films look slow and patient. Any attempt to set an atmosphere and mood is inevitably wrecked by the jarring cuts, overbearing music, and forced action scenes. It's partly due to the reshoots, but I get the sense that the original film wouldn't have been much better. Kidman does her best, but she obviously doesn't believe what she's doing, and no one else is notable. And the way too sunny ending not only doesn't fit into the film, but it completely ruins the spirit of the story as it's been done before. As said, some of the sociopolitical stuff works, but that's about it.