IMDb > The Invasion (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Invasion

The Invasion More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Come on, I'm so sick of being insulted!!

Author: BeatriceBlue from San Diego, Ca
1 September 2008

God, I just finished this film and cannot believe how unentertaining it really was. The change of directors and script, reshoots, and re-editing are extremely obvious, and make the movie more like two completely different genres trying to tell a similar story in one go. Starts off more interesting, then becomes a comic book-like action flick. Leaves so many holes, it makes your head spin... if you're still even really paying attention. It doesn't really even deserve to be picked apart because of how predictable it is, even if you never saw the original and have no idea it is a remake.

What did amaze me enough to write something is how crazily thin and 'poreless' they made Nicole Kidman!! The constant "Moonlighting" effect, surgeries and Botox made her unbelievable as a human, much less a mother and doctor. Not to mention the size 00 and posture of someone who has never lived a real life. I found myself continuing watching just to see if we'd get one clear, unfiltered shot of her face!! I paused the movie for a moment close to the beginning, during a shot of just her from her chest up, and when I turned back to the TV to restart I joked, "Look, I bet she wasn't even there that day!" THAT'S how 'treated' she was!!

I'll so sick of this!! Actors like Nicole Kidman and Al Pacino that have gotten to a point where all their characters are exactly the same... and all unbelievable. If I see one more Pacino movie with one of his 'speeches' or Kidman playing a mother concerned in some way for her child, I'll have to shoot something!!

Come on studios, stop doing this to all our great, and, in the case of Kidman, even just good, actors!!

Rethinking of the classic story removes many of the elements that makes the story so scary

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
11 September 2007

Fourth film version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a misfire. Neither the disaster that most pre-release reviews made it out to be, nor the classic a (very) few post release reviews claimed, this is destined to get lost sometime soon. The problem with the film is that in rethinking the story it removed many of the elements that made it so scary. Here the virus is known about more or less from the get go as shuttle crash brings the "virus" (gone are the pods) to earth. The battle is that the virus now bringing an end to conflict, everyone is getting along...mostly. It seems that Nicole Kidman's son is immune and with him a vaccine can be made. Owing more to say Robert Heinlein's Puppet Masters and its 1990's film version (which I really like) this is a scifi movie of the been there done that variety. Sure there are some scares but the visceral punch is gone. The first version worked because of what it represented. Philip Kaufman's remake/sequel worked (possibly better) by taking the known form of the original and upping the ante in all the right spots. Abel Ferrara's army base set Body Snatchers worked (less well than the first two but still worked) because it spun the tale in new directions, and even covered similar ground as this one. If this version works at all, it's perhaps because of the craft, but its chills and thrills are empty and moments after a scare or shiver you realize that what frightened you makes no sense except in the unreal world on screen. For hard core fans of the stars or for those needing to see every scifi remake that comes down the pike only. All others are advised to avoid this waste of celluloid, until you're forced to see it on endless cable rotation. (Hey what did you expect from a film that sat so long on the shelf that new scenes featuring Daniel Craig were shot long before he was even cast as James Bond, thus allowing him to become, unintentionally, one of the big names in the cast).

Lackluster remake of a sci-fi classic

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
27 August 2007

THE INVASION (2007) ** Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Jeremy Northam, Jackson Bond, Jeffrey Wright, Veronica Cartwright, Josef Sommer, Celia Weston, Roger Rees. Lackluster remake of the sci-fi chiller "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers" with an alien parasitic organism that hitches a ride on the Space Shuttle which crashes releasing it to an unsuspecting Washington, DC populace including psychiatrist Kidman who suddenly sees odd behavior in her patients and the slowly adding of 2 and 2 to the threat at hand. In spite of some state-of-the-art visuals which vary from cool to boring, the film suffers by not focusing more on the social strata than the geopolitical climate which its forbearers had the good insight to do just that. Kudos to having some insight to have Cartwright (from the vastly superior first remake in 1978) on board as one of Kidman's troubled patients; and yes it's true the Wachowski Brothers were hired to pump up the climactic chase sequence. (Dir: Oliver Hirschbiegel)

A lot of Noise and Confusion

Author: Scoval71 from New York, NY
2 November 2008

We have the tall Nicole Kidman wearing a very similar wig that Marilyn Monroe wore in The Misfits and very similar makeup and eyebrows. We also have the distraction of Nicole's boob job in a tight sweater. I couldn't decide if the director, stylist and make up people wanted to have Nocole channel Marilyn, as she seems to be doing in this absolutely awful movie. Daniel Craig seems lost and the little boy who plays Nicole's son is stiff and wooden. This movie is really hard to watch, hard to believe and even harder to write about. Don't bother. Don't bother renting it, buying it, or even watching it on television. A lot of noise and confusion---that sums it up.

"An Absolute Grotesque"

Author: kimi_layercake from India
20 March 2011

"The Invasion" is a science fiction movie concerning an alien epidemic which threatens to extinct the human species in a genetic scenario.

Cast wise, Great Talent but wasted ruthlessly. Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Jeremy Northam are the finest actors of this generation, but to find the reason as to why they opted to be part of a movie that has nothing special to befit their credentials is challenging. Even though all of them gave good performances, but sometimes a few positives can't redress for grotesque film making.

"The Invasion" strength is its cast or the way the big stars were lured into being part of something so ludicrous. Neither the Storyline nor the Direction has anything to account for,except for being farcical. Their is no element of thriller nor horror nor mystery in this science fiction misfit.

Overall, "The Invasion" is a mess. Frankly, the Plot,Trailer or Star cast will arouse interest and desire to view this movie, but the feedback will be a manifestation of this review.

My Verdict: 4/10

A first rate intense science fiction thriller

Author: aharmas from United States
18 August 2007

Of all the people in the world, who would have thought Nicole Kidman could play an action heroine? She has certainly proved her acting chops in just about every genre, but there is something too classy about her? Her icy, aristocratic personality gives her that isolated sense of royalty... and yet, it serves her so well here, as she must battle an entity that threatens with taking over the world.

As the film opens, Kidman's character is making desperate attempts to stay awake, since falling sleep is the transitional period when the alien viruses begin to take over their victims' bodies. She frantically searches in a pharmacy for anything that can keep her going, and she is desperately trying to protect her child. It's a great introduction to a story that appears deceptively simple and can suffer from the remake syndrome perception or from the attitude of serious filmmakers who can't understand that every genre will only succeed if there is a great screenplay and very capable actors. Both of those elements are present here, as we see our actors portray varied emotions showing pain, despair, paranoia, anger, relief, etc. Kidman wanders around the city, looking for her child, and along the way she discovers that the new world is scary because people are being inducted and transformed against their will, and yet the end result is both terrifying and almost alluring.

What makes this remake so special is the way the background has been expanded, giving us some scientific background about how the cells are affected by the invading organism, and there are also some issues that are raised about the possible side effects of the aliens' changes in the human body, mind, and attitude.

This film has a very strong last third as tensions mount and Kidman must try to rendezvous with her rescuers. There are some very exciting thrilling moments, and moments that will chill the audience as we see what a desperate woman is capable of doing while protecting herself and her child. The ending is pretty strong, too, since we are giving a look at what the world we live really is like...

Magnificent film!

An hour of my life I'll never get back

Author: Sam Black from San Francisco, CA
18 April 2010

My wife rented this movie, but I love her so I forgive her. This is one of the two worst movies I have ever seen in my life. From the screenplay to the pseudo-science to the "acting" to the directing to the editing, the only movie that comes close to this abomination is Pitch Black, which is the only movie I've ever walked out on in the theater. This movie now has the distinction of being the only movie I've ever walked out of at home.

Any student of film will either avoid this film or use it as an example of how not to make a movie. The movie abounds with jump cuts, continuity errors, and other no-nos that would make any editorial student gag.

Strategy of the invaders: bore us to death

Author: kxok630
28 August 2007

This uninspired remake of a classic sci-fi paranoia movie from almost five decades ago serves no purpose other than to invade your hard earned savings and cure chronic sleep deprivation.

Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig were obviously bored too; they blandly drone out poorly written lines and wander around in a bewildered state (that goes for the supporting cast and extras, too). Many people actually appear to be yawning during this snore-fest; both the characters on the screen and the unfortunate souls in the seats tolerating this dismal affair.

What kind of film were they using? Recycled? It makes early silent films look high-tech by comparison. The cinematography is browned out many times, and is just ugly to look at. People look like poorly designed CGI creatures making jerky, illogical movements. Cameras spin around in awkward gyrations in a desperate, lamentable, and failed attempt to instill audience involvement.

Horror fans will be angry at the lack of scary scenes. Sci-Fi fans will be irritated at this mockery of the original "Body Snatchers." Mainstream audiences will find this script dimwitted and the acting a complete joke.

The only group that might enjoy this are folks who like to laugh at lousy movies.

A Deliciously Terrorifying and Compelling Remake of a Classic

Author: tabuno from utah
19 August 2007

First off, I'm prejudice. Nicole Kidman is one of my favorite actresses. Second, I anticipated what might happen in this movie based on the original and subsequent first remake of this movie. After watching this movie, I couldn't really come up with any changes to the movie if I could. From the very beginning, in a fascinating use of flashback, Invasion throws the audience off balance with its thrown down in the middle of the movie scene. Because of the original movie, the fear element is heightened by what has gone on before. I cared about the mother and boy. And the director updated this movie tapping into not the 1950s communist scare and conformity element but skips any pretense and goes from the jugular, the literal heart of the matter - emotions make humanity, including its devastating horrors but also a much stronger focus on love and compassion than the original and sequel. The element of drama and mother-daughter bond is well captured her. The element of fear and tension, the use of having to hide and mask oneself in public. One of the best scenes, unique scenes is when mother and son must determine whether one of themselves have been transformed. There is a car chase scene has brings new meaning to cover-up. This along with "1408" are among the best horror movies to come along in years and among the best movie of the year. Nine out of Ten Stars.

My father is not my father

Author: Laakbaar from The Netherlands
10 June 2013

I've seen this movie twice now, and I thought it was fairly entertaining both times. (Once again the IMDb score does not seem accurate, and it seems to be based on extraneous factors that have little to do with the movie itself.)

I rather enjoyed the performance of Nicole Kidman.

I also rather enjoyed the way this movie slowly reveals the gradual spread of the alien contagion, and what it says about our society. We are repelled by the "crazy lady" on the highway until Nicole Kidman turns into one herself.

"Alien possession" is a theme that has shown up so often in science fiction movies lately that it seems to be a separate subgenre.

I think it started with Heinlein's 1951 book "The Puppet Masters". Back then alien possession was a metaphor for communism. Americans who adopted this political ideology were seen (by some Americans) as having been possessed in some way by an alien belief system. It's difficult for us now to understand how frightening this was.

I'd like to know the psychological and social forces that have given rise to this more recent subgenre in Hollywood. Has anyone studied this? (I suppose the study of the rise of vampire movies has more priority.) Is it fair to write possession movies off simply as an offshoot of American religious extremism? What is the difference between religious possession (both good and bad) and alien possession (both good and bad)? Not much.

As is the case in all these movies, the possessed are blown away with glee. In this movie, we are expected to cheer the boy attacking his own father. Why? "My father is no longer my father." In other words, you are my father, and you are a human being, only as long as you are, do and say the right things. Let's call it subjective relativism -- literally.

This represents the demonization that occurs when relationships collapse, intimacy is lost, and alienation sets in. I don't like my husband anymore. Hell, I don't know my husband anymore. There must be something terribly wrong with him. It's him, but he's become a monster.

"My husband is no longer my husband." Well, that's something we're all going to tell ourselves at some point in our lives.