IMDb > The Future of Food (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Future of Food More at IMDbPro »

Should be Mandatory Viewing

Author: colbydog from Mequon, Wisconsin, USA
7 January 2006

This is arguably one of the best examples of a film that has the ability to simplify a very complicated subject tat I have seen since The Corporation. Debora Koons Garcia has strung together the most cohesive and informative series of interviews, historic footage, biographies and science animations that culminate in a clear comprehensive message about our food and what is being done with it. It should be built-in to every television sold today... its that good!

The film describes in detail the history of agriculture and then focuses on the problems associated with industrial agriculture and the introduction of Agri-Business in the 20th Century. It reveals the unethical business practices that have resulted from Argri-Corporations need to make profit regardless of their effects on humanity. Agribusiness; like it or hate it, you will learn information you didn't know from this film.

very watchable - but maybe I shouldn't have ordered that large popcorn

Author: scg-3 from Maine, USA
8 August 2005

A very watchable documentary suitable for all ages. We took our 3 kids (as young as 6) and they all got something out of it, even tho the content was serious.

Shows effectively how we are losing diversity in the seed / gene pool; that agricultural ownership is being concentrated in fewer hands; and that large conglomerates (such as Monsanto) are aggressively pushing genetically modified seed and chemical herbicide, as well as driving the family farmer out of business.

Like you'd expect in something like this there's a sort of relentless one-sidedness, and some of the scientific explanations seem a bit superficial. But well worth the time & price of admission.

Shocking

Author: greenfreaks from United States
30 December 2006

This movie was truly shocking. I had no idea what was really truly happening with our food supply, I mean I had an idea, but I didn't think it was this bad. Makes you wanna run out into the streets and shout. I agree with the previous previewer, it is totally watchable for kids, and actually this should be shown in schools, libraries, where ever you can get a group together to see it. This info has got to get out there. WOW! What do we do? How do we do it? What do you eat? Where do you shop? Think about those things. See the movie and then make some changes! Maybe plant your own garden, or join a local CSA... do something!

Frankenfoods for America

Author: lastliberal from United States
25 January 2008

There is probably nothing that we can do to change things as we have given up the oversight of our elected leaders by not voting or by voting on single issues at the direction of our preachers, but we should at least have some knowledge of what is being done to us by politicians and chemical companies in bed together.

97% of the varieties of vegetables that were available at the turn of the 20th century are gone. The food we now have - corn, soybeans, etc. - had been genetically modified so that there is only one or two varieties. There is no testing or oversight due to the negligence of the FDA and the US Dept. of Agriculture and the fact that members of both these organizations, as well as other politicians, including at least one on the Supreme Court, have been or are members of the boards or in the employ of of the chemical companies. In fact Monstanto said it didn't matter who won the 2000 election, they were covered.

The chemical companies have bought all the seed companies and now you buy from them or you do not plant. They have, with the help of the government and the courts, usurped private property to their benefit.

As I say, there is nothing that can be done, save buying organic or at farmer's markets; but this film contains information you should know, especially since as a taxpayer you are contributing $20 billion dollars a year to the chemical companies.

If the rest of the world does not accept our frankenfood, why should we?

E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E should see this film...

Author: SimulationX from India
6 January 2008

... and I mean EVERYONE... but most importantly by all Americans. Save the money from your next gorefest and buy a DVD of this movie and give it to a friend... ... for its a movie that deals with the most basic of human necessities... our need for food...

This film deal with the changes to the way farming is done (primarily in the United States) and how along with the methods, how farm produce has also changed. It tells about the effects this change has on people all around the world...

This documentary isn't all about the doom hanging over the United States, although as I sat there watching it I couldn't help but feel that Americans are dooming themselves... not because of greed or the intent to harm... but merely because of the absence of information... ... and information is what this film gives... make a truly informed decision, one that will help you, your family and your community

Flawed

Author: stenlis
26 May 2008

I really wanted to like this film. It deals with a topic of great importance and generally propagates ideas that I agree with - like the dangers of corporate behavior, the threat to biodiversity that GM products pose and the absurdity of patenting life.

So what's the problem? Let me sum it up:

- most of the movie is comprised from old footage cuts accompanied by a rather dull commentary. Not very captivating.

- the commentary is badly written. It's repetitive and often fails to make a point. For instance, it cites three methods for genetic modification of a cell. Dramatic music, the 'expert' says that the procedure is very invasive to the cell and that it mimics the behavior of a virus and... nothing more. I wanted to know what problems can arise from the treatment but there was no explanation. Is it really surprising that overwriting the DNA is 'invasive' to a cell? Yet, this treacherous 'invasivness' is mentioned several times through the film (with no additional information).

- important information is left out. For example, the movie mentions the Supreme Court's decision on the Monsanto vs. Schmeisser trial but fails to mention the Court's reasoning that sheds a different light on the severity of the ruling. On top of it the court denied any compensation to Monsanto. This clearly didn't fit the film's agenda.

- the choice of the talking heads is poor. When compared to the respectable lineup that producers of other documentaries were able to accumulate (e.g. The Corporation, The Power of Nightmares) I can only assume the creators of The Future of Food just didn't make their homework. Where are (ex)employees of the bioengineering companies, politicians that took part in creating the regulations for GM and where are the representatives of the regulatory government bodies?

A great documentary, should be seen by everyone

Author: ClayDeaver from Waikiki a suburb of Honolulu
13 June 2007

Every American needs to see this movie, I have purchased copies and given them away, I feel it's that important. Here on Oahu Monsanto has purchased an additional 2500 acres for genetic experiments on the food we eat. The information in this movie is suppressed in our country to say the least. If you say anything bad about genetically modified food in the press you are generally sued by Monsanto, and like some fox reporters fired for your story.The plight of those reporters is told in the movie as one of many events studied to give the viewer a picture of the conspiracy at hand. Although this film is becoming a bit outdated it is still a great foundation everyone should see about the corporate plot aimed at dominating and owning the world food supply at the cost of corrupting and polluting it forever.

This is an important film, one to view with friends and discuss over dinner. That will be some dinner, let me tell you.

Author: jfdavisnyc@aol.com from United States
7 June 2007

I'm just curious as to why some of the negative reviewers sound like they may be working secretly for Archer Daniels Midland or Monsanto. Their bleating objections strike me as being pseudo defensive and very similar to those expressed by the tobacco industry when they're charged with deception and killing people with their product or when "An Inconvenient Truth" broke open the Global Warming debate and conservatives denied its veracity. Someone should check on those guys and how they earn a living. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed "The Future of Food" and felt it did us a great service by expressing another viewpoint OTHER than what we get from the big corporations and our government. I wish it were our government.

It's an important film and well worth seeing and further discussion.

Make up your own mind but at least watch

Author: tfrancis-7 from United States
22 May 2008

This movie is very one sided so be prepared to think for yourself but it's not a bad thing. Millions of dollars are being spent daily to tell you the other side. At least hear this side out. If you want to believe all the hype about genetically altered foods it's your choice but don't make it only hearing what big business and elected officials paid by special interest groups have to say. Food for thought. Why would a company go to so much trouble creating genetically altered foods to feed the poor or the starving. They only create them to make money. Starving people do not have money. Please watch this movie and make up your own minds I doubt anyone would wish they had never seen this movie but many will wish they had. I know that Monsanto hopes you skip it.

Buy organic!

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
25 August 2010

I first became aware of things not being quite right when I developed an allergic reaction to various products. So now I started looking at the labels of all the products I consumed - from soap to toothpaste to food. What I discovered was that the American food diet is a slow death sentence. E.g. after brushing my teeth, my stomach would ache and I did not know why. I finally read the label of my toothpaste for the first time in my life. It warns you that if you swallow too much of it, you should call the local Poison Control Center. I was slowly poisoning myself, and it is sold over the counter - it contains bleach! I switched to Tom's of Maine and no longer have those stomach problems. I then saw the movie "Supersize Me." It confirms that the American "fast-food" food industry is a slow death sentence. Then I saw "King Corn" and it confirms that the corn being grown in the US is inedible - unless it gets "processed" at a plant! Now comes "The Future of Food" and ... I am depressed. I apologize to every single organic food grower, and consumer for ever thinking you guys were "full of it." The irony is of course that I was the one full of "it." Please let others know what is going on - tell everyone you know to see this movie ... and BUY ORGANIC! That's my plan. If we stop buying their sewage then they lose profit. If they lose profit, THEN we get their attention. may God richly bless you and yours, in Jesus' name, amen.