IMDb > Failure to Launch (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Failure to Launch

Failure to Launch More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not at all like the trailer

Author: lemmmary from United States
12 March 2006

The trailer was boring and I was sure I didn't want to see the movie. I am also not a big fan of Matt or Sarah. Luckily for me there was nothing "good" to see for date night out with the wife. So we decided to see "Failure to Launch". It was possibly the funniest movie so far this year. Great characters, great story, and loads of bust out laughing situations. Terry Bradshaw and Kathy Bates are crazy/funny and actually parents I would love to have. The rest of the cast, especially the character of Kit, are perfect for the parts played and extremely funny. This is just what it is supposed to be, a fun romp. Enjoy this movie and don't take it seriously like the guy from Canada.

Fun Chick Flick

Author: mtmc5-1 from United States
11 March 2006

No, this won't win any major awards or impress the art world's elite, but it is a funny, delightful diversion on a date night. My husband and I laughed all the way through it - as did the entire theater. I go to movies for a diversion from reality and this met the bill. If you don't expect deep meaningful, life altering messages or commentaries on the deep ills of society you will enjoy the movie.

The performances by the supporting cast were delightful and the best of the movie - especially Kathy Bates and Zooey Deschanel. While the chemistry between the leads was lacking spark, their performances were still fun to watch.

The critics need to relax a little and not expect searing dramatic performances from romantic chic flicks!

Great Cast Wasted on a Sub-Par Sitcom Script

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
18 March 2006

Why, oh, why, can Hollywood assemble such a fantastic cast, and fail the cast members so miserably with the script? Stay home and watch a "Friends" rerun and you'll probably witness a more coherent, funnier, and truer script.

Every actor in this cast, including Terry Bradshaw, a former football player, is fantastic.

In fact, why can Terry Bradshaw, a former football player, act better than professional Hollywood writers can write? This script is a mess. Scenes are short and borderline incoherent, or so dumb as to be targeted at an audience too young to care about romance. What's the point of putting goofy scenes, like the fake bird fake CPR scene, a scene that every seven year old in the audience will wake up for, in an alleged "romantic" comedy? There's no romance here. None. Zero. Zip. How do you put two such beautiful, sexy, charismatic actors -- Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker -- in a movie, and yet have absolutely zero romance or heat or sexual chemistry in the movie? I mean, you'd really have to be trying to make a movie this erotically neutered with two such stars.

Nothing here makes much of any sense at all. The scenes are a jumble of failed ideas quickly abandoned. The direction and editing are nil.

A few scenes are ridiculous and childish. Matthew McConaughey is repeatedly attacked by wild animals. These scenes just never take off.

A few scenes are painful.

MM takes SJP on a date on someone else's boat, pretending that it's his. He's caught, and has to run away. Is he supposed to be such a tacky character? Why is SJP supposed to fall in love with him? After MM discovers that his parents have been paying SJP to date him (this isn't a spoiler; this plot device is revealed early on), he uses a particularly crude word to tell her to go away. It's a believable reaction, but since everything else in the movie is so unbelievable, it's just awkward and does not fit.

Then there is the scene where one group of characters spies on another couple of characters via webcams. It's meant to be heartwarming, but it's just utterly unbelievable and really creepy. Whoever scripted this scene is tone deaf.

And a few scenes are just plain bizarre, as if they came from another movie.

This is such a shame. The actors were up for it, but the script writers and director gave them nothing to work with.

A Fun, Offbeat Romantic Comedy

Author: blondie1972 from United States
8 February 2006

I got to see a preview of this the other night . . I went in thinking this was just another silly romantic comedy, but I must say I laughed a bit and enjoyed some of the crude humor. The audience I sat with loved it and laughed often, so I think this will do well in the theater especially those that enjoy Mr. McConaughey's abs and southern charm. There's actually some great nature shots with Dolphins and other fun-loving creatures, but I won't go into detail since it would spoil some of the crude humor in this flick. I think this would make a great date film since most of the film is told from the male perspective, so it's not your typical female male basher. Zooey Deschannel has some great moments as well with her deadpan looks and offbeat charm. There's no Oscar worthy performances here, just a fun silly, offbeat romantic comedy with a little um-nudity from Mr. Bradshaw (no frontal of course).

Kit was Great

Author: tumbersonps from United States
16 March 2006

I thought this movie was fun. I'm a big fan of Terry Bradshaw and I thought he and Kathy Bates made a "real couple". His "nude room" scene was a scream - I would have never expected that. I also enjoyed the scene Kathy Bates expresses her fears about her marriage to her son and the reasons - a little touch of real life. But my favorite character has to be Kit (Zooey Deschanel). Every comedy movie needs a straight (man/woman) I loved her, she was great. In my opinion the depth of the secondary characters was the strength of this movie. I didn't particularly care for the ending. I look forward to seeing more of Zooey Deschanel - great job!

Lift Off!

Author: tom-1837 from United States
10 March 2006

I'm just a guy who (doesn't live with his parent's) likes to be entertained. Our theater last night was packed and we couldn't stop laughing! This is a fun romantic comedy that leaves you feeling good. What I thought was going to be a predictable movie surprised me with characters that were endearing. Kathy Bates and Terry Bradshaw are great as the parent's. (Remember "Meet The Focker's?) Matthew McConaughey is the perfect "lovable loser" (and yes, he's wrapped in nothing but a towel in the first two minutes!) Sarah Jessica Parker has that charm and smile that would melt anyone's heart. The supporting cast is great! Matthew's 'live at home bud's' featuring Justin Bartha as "Ace" is the perfect "nerd" and Zooey Deschanel as "Kit" has a dry sense of humor often steals the scenes she shares with Sarah Jessica. Whether you still live at home or know someone who does, "Failure to Launch" lifts off.

Cute Movie

Author: shrtsweet2385 from United States
12 March 2006

I really thought that this was a decent movie. I don't think that the commercials showed all the good parts either. It had plenty of parts that made me laugh out loud. I mean it did have some parts that were dry, and it reminded me of a different version of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but I still liked it. I think that my favorite character would have to have been Kit, who is the roommate of Sarah Jessica Parkers character. I think that perhaps the main characters did not have the most humorous lines as their costars did, but each star mixed well in the movie. I think that if you are one of those people who like to watch girly movies, as I am, then you would definitely enjoy it.

Appropriately named

Author: Bookends from United States
12 March 2006

I had high hopes for this movie. After all, I love all of the cast members. However, somehow, it just didn't do it for me. It was as if the screenwriters didn't know who they wanted to try to please. The over the top farcical scenes would have worked in a different movie, and the relationship scenes would have worked in a different movie. I think that one of the subplots involving Zooey Deschanel (who literally steals the show) would have been more interesting to watch than either of the two leads. Matthew McConaughey is admittedly good looking to watch, but his abs and cast have been his supporting cast long enough. And as much as I have loved Sarah Jessica Parker, she's looking a bit long in the tooth here, and is definitely too old to play the part.

Grade: C (But only for Zooey's sake, I loved her!)

Utter Crap.

Author: timfletcher from Liverpool, United Kingdom
12 April 2006

Dross! Boring and predictable! After only ten minutes into the film, I could stake my life on what would happen at the end - and I was right.

I don't mind romantic comedies, but this is drivel. Even the "funny" moments; those slapstick scenes that are added to films to make you laugh uproariously, barely raised a smile (a chipmunk bit his finger – hysterical. A lizard bit his hand and he falls on his back– hilarious).

This film has no redeeming features whatsoever and even the inclusion of such comic genii as Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker couldn't get it going. What did I expect though, going to see a film with those two hams in the starring roles, they actually make Courteney Cox look funny. In my defence though, one night a week I do Support Work and my disabled employer wanted to go to the cinema. There was nothing on we hadn't already seen so we took a chance on this. Well, even he thought it was turd. I thought he was going to sack me!

If you want my advice, don't waste your time with this nonentity. I'd rather nail my eyelids to the floor than sit through this tripe again.

When Animals Attack Bad Movies

Author: shark-43 from L.A. CA
14 August 2007

I was stunned at how bad this movie was - so predictable, so lame and another one of these Hollywood studio processed films where it doesn't even seem like reality - like it is this parallel universe that Hollywood creates where people have jobs like boat brokers and parent, grown son interventionist! They all have names like Ace, Demo, Kit, Tripp and Captain!! We all knew EXACTLY what was going to happen the minute Sara Jessica Parker says "I never have sex with a client." Gee - wonder if she will with Matthew - er, sorry - Tripp...I also cant believe that the movie invested sooooo much time in a subplot where someone wants to murder a mockingbird. Wow! That's funny! And obviously the studio found it hilarious whenever an animal attacks a human! Woo-hoo, that's some funny comedy - Billy Wilder could learn a thing or two from these fine filmmakers about what is truly funny. A chipmunk attacks, a dolphin attacks, a mockingbird bites the guy's nose like in a Goofy cartoon oh - and a lizard attacks - and after he does - they show him snickering - thus making the snickering lizard more three-dimensional than any of the supporting characters. Plus, it really was truly creepy what SJP's character tries to do - to "date" screwed-up, mainly lonely guys and make them think she likes them to try and get them to move out. The one other scene where they show her "working" - the guy is the typical fat, nerdy slob who quotes Star Wars and you watch her pretend to like him. Man! That is one creepy job there (almost as creepy as being a boat broker. I kid! I kid the boat brokers and all the members of The Boat Brokering Association). This movie is just a mind-freeze - watch point A move to Point B and then to Point C - now go home. The fact that this thing made TONS of money says it all.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]