Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

...Rebuttal. Personal Opinions Differ. (:

Author: schmaltz13 from Singapore
13 December 2004

Actually, I thought Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper was surprisingly good. Usually I'd kick up a big fuss before watching Barbie, of all things, in anything at all. But as an avid fan of musicals and music in general, I felt compelled to watch it after one advertisement as I thought the music was indeed refreshingly catchy. The plot line was pretty sweet and... I just enjoyed it tremendously... even though I have to agree that the commercials were irritating. I particularly like the song "I Am A Girl Like You" and would seriously recommend fans of musicals and/or music in general to watch it as a form of relaxing distraction.

PS. I'd also like to comment on cyclone259's comments about adults finding Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper to their tastes. Everyone has his/her own opinions and you would do well not to judge them based on them. In fact, it's actually quite insulting.

3 year old daughter is in HEAVEN!

Author: kimiiii from USA
18 December 2004

This movie is close to perfect for a little girl who is the frilly/froo-froo/princess type, as mine is. It has "lovely Barbies in beautiful dresses" (her wording), kitties, and songs with catchy tunes. I'm not kidding... she and I both go around singing "...I'm just like yooooou, you're just like meeeeeeeee..." all day! Now and then you can catch her older brothers doing the same, but they will deny it to the death.

Definitely a quality girl's movie. Excellent song writing and voicework. Plus, the visuals are top notch. Colorful animation with incredible facial expressions make this watchable, even for the adults in the room.

The doggish-cat (another cute line in a song), named "Wolfie" is a cute character. I have given up explaining that it IS a cat and not a weird looking dog. My daughter wants one for Christmas now...

Better than I could have hoped for

Author: deedwar1 from North Caroldina, USA
1 November 2004

The thought of watching a Barbie video didn't thrill me but I knew my daughter would be interested so I bought this. To my surprise, it was wonderful! The music is extremely well done, both lyrically and melodically. The lyrics are very clever and poignant. It's also performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Unlike most Disney movies and other children's shows, there is no violence at all. There's also no bad language. That alone is very refreshing.

Martin Short does the voice of Preminger and he's simply fantastic. He also gets to showcase his wonderful singing voice and unique voice talents.

It's hard to imagine anyone not liking this movie.

Excellent Movie!

Author: sandkels from United States
27 January 2005

Cyclone, you are SO WRONG..I am a 35 year old mother of three, and I adore this movie! I bought it for my 3 year old daughter, and both she and my 11 year old daughter watch it every day. Even my 14 year old son got a kick out of it, although he'd NEVER admit as much! I find myself listening to the music CD, and the songs pop in my head at work every day. And you know what? That doesn't mean I have no life..it means I can have FUN! Readers, if you are contemplating renting or buying this movie, I say give it a shot! You'll be pleasantly surprised..it's very cute, entertaining and fun! Might I suggest that readers skip over Cyclone's comment, and let this movie stand for what it is..a fun, DECENT movie the whole family can enjoy!

40-year-old heterosexual male finds surprisingly good music.

Author: jt4 from Orange County, CA
18 April 2005

How's this for a commentary on the music in this movie: I sometimes specifically ask my wife if she has it in the car to listen to, pushing out Duran Duran or other music from the golden age of the early 80's. I am skeptical of musicals by nature, so when I heard that the Barbie people had produced a musical, I could only imagine how shallow the music was going to be, seeing that it would be directed towards our 7-year-old daughter's age group. I of course had no choice but to hear it several times after we bought the movie and our daughter and 3-year-old son wanted to listen to the CD in the car. I was surprised beyond anything I could imagine to find that there is some serious quality among the songs that are done here. As for the movie's animation, it may be my imagination that the production skimped a bit in that area to pay for the songwriting. And of course the Barbie series' animation was already nothing to get excited about in this day of Pixar, Dreamworks, and Blue Sky producing top-notch computer-generated material. But the music itself is really a find, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Very good movie for Barbie fans

Author: pcorbett13440 from New York
14 December 2004

I, personally, thought the movie was very well done. The songs are very catchy. I have a special needs child who has a very hard time having anything catch her eye for longer than an a half hour and this movie was one that did. She sat enraptured. The fact that the movie came with a CD of the songs helped even more. She loved that she could listen to the songs on her own time. She now plays with her Barbie's, listening to the CD and having them "sing" along to the CD. Just by her enjoyment alone my in-laws and I have already decided her 3 major gifts by myself, my father, and my in-laws will be both singing Analese, singing Erika, and the singing Serafina cat. It's a rare find when you can find anything that will hold a child attention longer than a second. This movie definitely does that.

Princess and the Pauper

Author: pkeydiamd from United States
28 December 2004

I think that this movie was great, my favorite out of all Barbie movies. The songs were inspirational and i own the Princess Anneliese and Erika dolls and I'm 14. I think whoever thinks this movie is a waste of time and loses their interests then they don't have a good sense of whats good and whats not. My favorite song was the one where Princess Anneliese and Erika sing a duet. The "I'm just like you".

And Premiger hes hailarious even though hes the bad seed in the movie when sees Wolfie and he screams like a girl and those shoes they almost look like girl heels! LOL!

I think this is a great movie for any age and I strongly disagree with the woman who submitted that it wasn't awe-inspiring or whatever. i think the movie was great and she must have been blind. Personally i thought it was a laugh from a 14 year olds point of view.

Erika was my favorite character one of course shes a brunette like me. two shes more outgoing and i love her voice.

I like that blonde idiot that worked for Premiger he was so goofy i loved him!

Delightful movie

Author: from Wonderful Movie
19 November 2004

Me and my 3 year old daughter love the Barbie movies, and this one is just as good as the others. It's Barbie's first musical, and the music, I think, is every bit as catchy as Beauty and the Beast.

I love, love, love too that Barbie isn't "rescued" by the Prince. She saves the kingdom with her intelligence - not her status or appearance!

It's funny. My Dad was over here, and I was trying to explain the plot to him. It's complicated, but doesn't seem so when you're watching it from start to finish. I think that's a sign of a good movie - it's not mindless drivel. You have to pay attention, and follow the story.

Also - the DVD comes with sing-alongs. My 3 year old especially loves those. She knows all the words to these songs.

Uninspiring animation, but surprisingly tolerable writing

Author: Lisa Reeve (verylisa) from Melbourne, Australia
16 November 2004

My four-year-old daughter has been watching this over and over, and has drawn crowns on her shoulders to match Princess Annalise's crown-shaped birthmark.

The animation looks like cut-scenes from a video game, rather than the quality you'd expect from an animated movie. But it perfectly hits the expectations of its target audience: it's pretty, engaging, colorful and clean.

The characters are one-dimensional stereotypes, but the title characters (both 'played' by Barbie) are actually quite likable.

Princess Annalise is a geek (a pretty geek, but still a geek), has the hots for her impoverished tutor rather than her intended kingly husband, and ends up saving the kingdom with her geological talents and business acumen (really!).

The Pauper, Erika, is cheeky, goofy, and independent. She might have a king falling in love with her, but she's got her own dreams that don't necessarily coincide with his, and she's going to be true to herself first.

The songs are nothing startling. They're pleasant, joyful, sometimes a little bit silly, and sung well.

There are simple, clear girl-power messages throughout this film. I'd much rather my daughter be indoctrinated by this than by stories where the beautiful, vapid princess marries the handsome prince and nothing else actually happens.

Another great Barbie video!

Author: mstemen
12 October 2004

I have been amazed that Mattel and Mainframe Entertainment have been able to to keep up the level of quality in these videos. With so many low quality videos coming out of the "big" animation studios, my wife and I are always expecting that we might be let down each time a new Barbie video comes out; however, each one has met or exceeded our expectations! The music in this musical is well done and fun to sing along with. The voice actors are amazing, and I have enjoyed the famous actors they have chosen for each video. Someone in their marketing department deserves a raise! I don't know if we'll get the next one, "Fairytopia", but the first four videos have been well worth our investment. We appreciate that the music in the videos has been very high class--no rap or rock music--well done!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]