IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 37: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

It's the Music

Author: jcook56050 from United States
5 August 2009

August Rush is not one of those films you can watch from the middle. In order to comprehend and enjoy the artful filming, seamlessly integrated music track, and a subtle story line that works on so many different levels, one must see the film from beginning to end several times. If there is one particular aspect of the film that sets it apart from so many others of its genre, a tip of the hat must be given to how hard the producers worked to join the actions on screen with the carefully chosen and performed music. Too many films of this type attempt to convince the audience that the main characters are musicians of extraordinary caliber, and end up convincing us there is no relationship between what we are seeing and what we are hearing. August Rush shows us moments of music creation that do not necessarily need to be perfectly synced to convince us that extraordinary talent is being given a chance to rise above the mundane and ignorant realities of everyday life. Here we have a music genus seeking expression with an innocence of youth that transcends the frustration and violence of his temporary keeper, a sadly flawed man who is doomed to roam the halls of mediocrity and short sightedness. Rarely do we savor Robin Williams with no sense of humor, but "Wizard" Wallace manages to make us feel uncomfortable every moment he appears on screen. Most people of extraordinary ability tend to understand their art to a depth and breadth that extends far beyond the comprehension of their audience. The film makers have certainly given us a small glimpse into the world of such genus. The teachers of Julliard School immediately see Rush's talent, and are ready to help him, though so many such talents simply go unseen and unfulfilled in the world. August Rush hears music all around him, and is forced by an inner drive to compose. He also subliminally understands that his music message will bring him the one thing he wants most of all, to be reunited with his real parents. What wonderful music that moment becomes.

A great movie that will carry you away in the magic

Author: Kyle Mallory (kemallory340@gmail.com) from United States
11 July 2009

This is one of those rare movies that is not only a fantasy, because the likelihood of this ever happening is next to none, but a fantasy that will have you believing every second of every scene in this movie. You can easily get carried away in the superb music of this film and not realize it until it's over. I guarantee that if you have any sort of imagination, you will not be able to watch this movie only once.

I've already mentioned the superb music, but the acting is also something to mention. Freddie Highmore has you believing in his quest to find his family and his natural understanding of music. Meyers and Russell are excellently cast too, and his own music performances are deserving of awards.

If you have not seen this movie, then you are missing something that shouldn't be missed. The story and music will both give you chills throughout the movie as you experience the magic of the music.

wonderful

Author: tosun_cem from Turkey
16 May 2009

that is real excellent movie which ı had watched ever before. actually ı don't like drama and musical movie but this movie change my mind to the like kind of movie. ı registered to the IMDb for voting and give some comments about this movie. ı loved it very very much. also it may be ridiculous but ı fall in love this movie. The music is incredible, and mostly consists of original scores. It includes gospel, rock and classical, seamlessly integrated in a new way that works extremely well I rarely like to see any movie more than once, but definitely want to see this again. Take the family this is for children, teens and adults shortly ı strongly advice everybody to watch this movie

what a amazing!!!

Author: anna koo (anna2.1itc@gmail.com) from Democratic People's Republic of Korea
18 March 2009

The genre of this movie is drama and a little fantasy. In 2007, I had seen the movie with my a close friend. This story is very very impressed to me. I could enjoy the beautiful sounds with August's Rhapsody. If I fall in love with someone, I would go to many music concerts such like that.

Band singer and guitarist 'Louis' and Cellist 'Laila' fell in love first with each other. after 1 year, They had a son between them but because Laila's parents do not agree on their marriage, they separate and the boy was abandon by Laila's parents. and the parents said to Laila ' I'm so sorry. your son is died '. Laila became very sorrowful. The name of their son is August Rush. August grows up to be a very talented musician and entered Juliard Music school at a very young age. Because of this, he becomes famous and holds concerts. At the end, August and his parent reunite at this concerts.

Simply Fantastic

Author: Mustafa Nasser from Jordan
10 March 2009

I'm not a fan of musical movies; however, I thought I would give this film a try. I can say I'm so glad I did, and I will for sure be watching more musical films. It is one of those rare occasions where I never felt bored not even for half a minute through the entire movie. That day I did not find something exciting to watch, and given that I'm not a fan of musical movies (or so I thought), It was not really an easy call to decide to spend two hours watching this movie, but I thought I would give it a try. Once I watched the kid Freddie Highmore tearing for the loss of his parents I was starting to get attached to the movie, and once I started tasting the music this film contains and with all beautiful emotions flying around I was amazed and could not take my eyes off the screen till the finish.

A must watch film :)

Author: rahultiwari-iipm from India
4 March 2009

In recent times i watched over 1000 movies that included crappy ones like The objective, Wisegal etc. and now i saw August Rush. It was like a rainfall in desert. A movie which is a complete mixture of love, emotions, romance, frustration, giving-up, passion, determination, determination and yes of course desire. A fantabolous casting with awesome performances made this movies a movie of life-time. I watched this keeping certain things in my mind like it will of those musical crabs which doesn't even reflect the purity of music. Thought it will be just a past-killer cracker but for the first time in my life i loved to be disappointed. As the time was passing i was worried that it is going to end soon which i never wanted and when it ended i was left with a smile of satisfaction. A movie which can be seen by any age group but gives only one lesson to everyone of them that is "never give up". This movies just gives u an inspiration. The character August Rush/Evan Taylor was perfectly casted so do the others but to the hats off.

August Rush...beautiful

Author: Leanne Vitanzo from United States
30 November 2008

I don't understand how anyone can say this movie is bad. This post was originally in response to a previous post and I felt it necessary to post again. First your comment about getting into Julliard with out any money. If you knew anything about non-profit orgs you would know they are all willing to shell out for someone they think can bring back more than they invest ( I work with NP's) . Second, if you have ever known someone who has true musical talent you know that they can learn to read and write sheet music in seconds. I'm sorry you haven't experienced that but I have. Third, you have to believe in the true spirit of movies. They can't show you 18 weeks of practice in one movie because you'd walk out saying worse things than you are saying now. Do you think that the Godfather really happened in 3 hours ( well the first one, almost)? Finally, back to your first point that this movie doesn't have a convincing storyline. I think you know my opinion on that at this point. I'm sorry this made your list of "most hated movies" but it is on my list of "most loved movies".

Mozart and Oliver Twist

Author: snarlah-1 from United States
1 November 2008

Many people understood the urban fairy tale that is "August Rush," and some may have noticed the relation between Mozart, child musical prodigy, and Oliver Twist, stolen by Fagin (as played here by Robin Williams,) but I don't think that anyone else here has noticed all connections or the third connection--the theft of brilliant musicians by the owners of music studios and those who have paid virtually nothing to great musicians for the rights to their music.

What a lovely score with 3 marvelous actors who look like a family.

Then there is Fagin, who stole children and had them steal money and pick pockets in lower-class England. Obviously, Mozart was not related to that aspect of the story, because the child prodigy who died too young was an amazing musician, but lived among the upper classes and was a wild child. Still, to miss two major connections--Oliver Twist and Mozart--is to miss very most important aspects of the movie.

A stunning soundtrack can't save the drivel that is 'August Rush'

Author: UnoriginalJess
27 September 2008

Part romance, and mostly sentimental mush, August Rush is the perfect example of a film that had the potential to be good, but failed miserably. Keri Russell, who plays Lyla, is clearly attempting the dreamy musician look, but succeeds only in looking dazed and confused, and Rhys Meyers (Louis) looks as though he is nursing a perpetual hangover. Together, they make the perfect intoxicated couple, so the audience is not at all surprised when we are introduced to Evan (the talented Freddie Highmore) and he wears a constant faraway expression and whispers in a hoarse voice.

The film is promoted as 'gentle fantasy' and 'a modern fairytale', and tells the story of supposed music prodigy Evan's attempts to find his estranged parents through the supernatural musical connection they share. Evan's musical gift is obvious from the start; in the opening scene, he is sitting in a field with an ecstatic look as he listens to the grass sing and whispers distantly about the omnipresence of music. This connection with music eventually drives him to escape the orphanage and walk unsteadily through strange roads until he ends up in modern-day New York. Once there, he is adopted and renamed 'August Rush' by Wizard (Robin Williams) the erratic street musician, who houses homeless children, buys them instruments, and exploits their musical talent.

The odd mix of beautiful music and talented actors with a terrible script and contrived plot is the rhythm and pulse for the next hour and fifty-three minutes. It must admitted that the music sequences- such as Highmore's first introduction to a guitar and to a local Gospel choir- have flavour and flair, and the music soundtrack is probably one of the best in recent films. Composer Mark Mancina evokes an otherworldly feel in his thrilling score, but director Kristen Sheridan fails to capitalise on this, and what could have been a truly inspirational and heart warming story is ruined by the clunky, cliché-filled script Nick Castle and James Hart seem intent on shoving down their audience's throats.

The film over-exaggerates August's musical genius, and the scene where he sees a pipe organ and, within the space of one day, teaches himself to play it- replete with pedalling and a thorough understanding of stop registration- is an insult to any musician. Whilst it is perfectly acceptable to ask an audience for suspension of disbelief, August Rush requires one to throw one's disbelief out the back door before muzzling it and putting it in cold storage. The sheer absurdity of many of the plot holes- most of which can be seen a mile off- is too much to handle, even from a film that peddles itself on its 'gentle fantasy'.

Whilst the final scene features a soul-stirring symphony, the ending is more than a little abrupt. Despite its near-redeeming soundtrack, August Rush is an ambitious failure as a film, and not even a solid effort from Freddie Highmore can divert the audience from its insulting, insipid script and cliché-ridden plot.

August Rush captures the current state of music making...and still makes you smile...

Author: Charles Johnson from Boston
14 August 2008

Here's a beautiful fairy tale of a movie that conveys in the realest sense imaginable the power of music– albeit in a fanciful manner. And yet, it also encompasses a large swath of the musical world's present reality in 2 hours of pure joy. What does it say about the state of music making? You've got Lyla, the "establishment classical" figure – obviously loves music, loves playing – but is hyper controlled by a father who ego-maniacally conspires to plot her present and future. They did a great job of establishing his character without dwelling on it. For Lyla, you get that sense that she really didn't choose her life – although she has flourished in the path taken. Within Lyla, and within real-world classical prodigies everywhere – you get a glimpse of the sheltering, the dedication, the talent and the roads foregone – the approach to life that seems to accompany a certain kind of greatness. When does the point between a parent's desire to foster, nurture and focus a child's ability (and the parent's selfish desire) and the child's right to self determination happen. Does it happen? Lyla seems to put this question up for grabs.

Then there's Louis. The kind of rocker you probably signed up for. Raw talent, brute independence, Irish immigrant/U2 vibe – all the vitality and intensity that accompanies twenty somethings with angst and potential. You get that sense (I'm sure intentionally) that he crawled out of Angela's ashes so he could share his story via his music. The linchpin of the band – he's the talent and alas (for the band), the glue. Having been around musicians a good chunk of my life, we see in Louis the reason so many smart, independent kids are drawn to a life of song. They live close to the soul, they seek meaning and share their emotions in a charismatic way that makes a romantic view of the world seem permanent, desirable, possible and rewarding.

So Evan/August is our last piece of this triangle. How can you not love him? You must, if you have an ounce of belief left in your musical heart of hearts. So many metaphors are easy to reach from his character that its practically cliché to describe them. Yet, there's this subtlety in the creation of Evan – and the presentation is good here – the joining of Lyla and Louis is not some kind of "I saw you on stage" followed by, "No, I saw YOU on stage" follow by "oh my god aren't we these great musicians and wouldn't we be great together" kind of tripe. No, it was just chance, mood, independence, timing and a soul's longing that brought them together. Thank god this was a movie since in movies it's easy to eliminate the interim patter and make the big point without having to delve into the little moments of banal chat that comprise our early social interactions. The subtlety here is that music was truly what defined these two, and yet, the movie leaves unspoken how it defined their brief relationship. So, a love child here is destined to use music as a vehicle and a sort of spiritual GPS unit to unite the parents and give everyone a second chance at a meaningful life.

The even-handedness of the Juilliard scene is great too. So often the hip side of music tends to cast these institutions into the lump that "The Wizard" tries to cast them. It's the "you can't teach music, it's too ethereal" view. Yet, the integrity of the instructor in the wizard confrontation can't be denied, and you can't help but see how the allusions to the evolution of music and composition in general might come from such a place. Love of music is not the sole province of the starving artist street musician. The music school, for all its potential false promises – still can enthrall and deliver. Meanwhile, August Rush delivers a fantastic movie experience that touches the core of our collective musical souls.