IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 36: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Beauty without logic!!

Author: JOSEPH PIUS from India
5 February 2013

AUGUST RUSH ( 2007 )

Have been trying to watch it fully once more since the time saw it first. Now only it became possible. The movie is fully about MUSIC but , didn't feel so convincing and real at some points in the movie. Apart from that felt it's good altogether. So lets keep that aside.

It's the story of a boy named EVAN TAYLOR, orphaned ( by circumstances when he was born ) and whose parents who were also separated because of the same circumstances as his, finds each other and unites with the gift they all have got equally and immensely : MUSIC.

Clever casting and very fine performances by the actors, EVAN was too good so was LYLA. The main part of this, of course the MUSIC is very beautiful and very well matching the mood of the movie. Story is drafted to a script with flaws but it doesn't change the course or make it less enjoyable. Could have been much better by being a bit more REAL. Cool name and a nice movie as the name tells.

Fantastic movie

Author: ggizem-10 from türkiye
25 December 2012

Every description of this movie is correct. I can't possibly add to the descriptions without giving the story away. But I can add that the acting of Freddie Highmore is among the best. This whole movie is filled with emotion and actors that really fill the bill. I will put this movie on my set and listen to it 24/7. The music is outstanding, best piece of guitar work I've seen in a long time. "The Bari Improv" which I believe is Kaki King's crowning achievement, is not to be missed. And watching Freddie Highmore's face while performing it so to speak, is a pleasure unto it's own. I get such a kick out of watching that scene, because I love music, and know what his character is feeling at that point. A friend recommended this movie to me because she knows my love of music, not to mention my love of movies. I'm glad she did. And I hope to pass this on to anyone who has not seen this yet. Before you watch any other movie, if you see no other movie for the rest of your life, take the time to watch this extremely impressive movie that will surely bring tears to your eyes. This is a pure delight of a movie. And watching the faces of the five main characters is worth every minute of your time.

A short review of this movie.

Author: Dudley Teakell (llekaetyeldud@gmail.com) from Sacramento, Ca.
1 December 2012

The one and only reason I rated this so high was of it's high emotional value. In an intimate or family setting I'm sure there would not be a dry eye in the house.

((SPOILER)) (MAYBE: Kind of , more of a character breakdown. Just making sure.)

All of the main characters evoked a bit of emotion. A cold overbearing father. A mother that lost her child. A man that lost his love. A child without his family. A ruthless/shiesty bad guy as well as many supporting characters. In my honest opinion I'll say this. If Keri Russell was searching for perfection and decided to quit when and if she found it, she should have stopped here. That is all.

corny as Kansas in August

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
27 September 2012

August Rush is as corny as Kansas, but it still works. The plot is completely predictable though preposterously improbable. The suspense is in just how long they are going to delay the climax. It is magic realism about a boy Freddie Highmore playing Evan Taylor aka August Rush who has a supernatural talent to pick up any instrument and instantly start improvising in a creditable way. He even magically learns musical notation without any instruction or ever seeing written music.

A young Jonathan Rhys Meyers (King Henry VIII in the Tutors), as the father, has a face like a piece of art. It is hypnotic, menacing and sexy. The camera gives you plenty of time to contemplate it.

Must of the movie is watching people pretend to sing or pretend to play musical instruments. To a lay eye, it is all quite convincing. I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers actually sang his parts. He made a quite credible rock musician.

The boy is inspired by the incidental sounds around him to create music with matching rhythms and textures. The way the movie flows from one to the other is brilliant and a treat for the ear.

Robin Williams plays a Fagin-like character forces child street musicians to hand over their take. He is quite creepy. You don't think of him as Robin Williams. He IS a crazy, greedy, unscrupulous old coot.

Leon Thomas III as a fellow street urchin/musician stole every scene he appeared in.

The weakest actor is Highmore, who is too bland and generic a little boy.

Jamia Simone Nash, a little black girl, knocked my socks off with her performance in a church choir. I hope we see her again in some other movie. Her part was way too short. I got the feeling I was getting to see Whitney Houston at age 9.

The thing that bugged me most was August's supposedly original composition selected by the Juliard school of music was a complete rip-off of Bach, an interesting arrangement, but not an original composition.

It leaves you feeling good with its impossibly happy ending.

August Rush Review

Author: richards-mitchell from United States, Maquoketa, Iowa
13 March 2012

August Rush is definitely better the second time around. This is a sad, exciting and inspiring movie, for music lovers and for anyone out there who loves a very heart full movie. Kirsten Sheridan did a wonderful job in directing this movie, the music and the way the story line was put together was very intense and always had you wondering what was going to happen next. August Rush has a great storyline, a young orphaned boy named Evan Taylor (Freddie Highmore) has been in foster care for 11 years and counting. He feels the need to search for his parents Lyla Novacek (Keri Russell) and Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) who are both musicians, who met at by "following the music". In events, Lyla becomes pregnant, but tragically gets into an accident where she then finds herself in the hospital with no baby, and she is devastated. Their baby, Evan Taylor is just a boy in an orphanage who won't be anything in life. Wrong. He finds his way to New York City, where dreams are made of in this exciting search for his parents he learns many things and meets lots of people, such as Maxwell "Wizard" Wallace (Robin Williams) who is a "Father" to many homeless kids, Wizard takes Evan in and tries to make him a star! This is where Evan gets the nickname "August Rush" because Evan Taylor is not a "Stars name", this definitely makes it harder for Lyla, who has been searching for him. But when Wizard tries to take advantage of Evan, just for his prodigy like musical skills, Evan has to break free and go find his real family. I love music, and this movie made me accept and love music with even more of a passion than I already do. This movie is definitely one of the best I have ever seen. If only real life was like the movies! Evan Taylor is a music prodigy, from his mother, Lyla, being a Cellist from Julliard and his father, Louis, being an aspiring singer and guitar player; he has a great musical background. Evan learns to play the guitar, but not in a way that you would expect, he beats the strings like a drum, and a beautiful sound comes out. Evan keeps saying that he wants to find his parents and the only way to do this is to play the music, so they will come and find him. I suggest this movie to anyone who adores music like I do, or to anyone who loves an exciting and heart filled movie. This will leave you with a warm feeling inside, and leave you to adore music even more than you already do, and Kirsten Sheridan did this very well.

Extraordinary, breathtaking, mind blowing, stunning, just beautiful!

Author: ivancurlin1 from Croatia
15 January 2012

Oh my God. This move is the one of the best I've seen in my whole life! It has made me so emotional and I'm a guy. I cried for every little thing. I held my hand on my heart and just hearing it beat watched this movie. I really believe that every person should watch it because it is extraordinary, breathtaking, mind blowing, stunning, and just beautiful! It is a movie that you watch when you fell bad or good or happy or sad. It brings out the best in you. Words can not describe this movie enough, it has to be seen to be understood! I give 10/10 and I'm going to watch it again right now, and once again enjoy it like i enjoyed it the first time I've watched it.

Inspiring movie!

Author: pimbon from Bulgaria
4 January 2012

A great movie in combination with the magic of a modern mixed music makes watching it unforgettable and heart touching emotional experience. All three main characters Freddie Highmore (August Rush) , Kris Russel (Lyla), Jonhatan Rhys Meyer distribute power energy, romantic and intriguing element of the movie. Separated by accident and away from each other, they feel the healing power of the Universe to find themselves because they have the fate to be together. Mystery, beauty and inspiration of the Universe power appears by the music as if music frequency transfers package of data signals which are invisible for the human eye but they impact on the human heart, no matter how far apart they are. Indeed fascinating movie without many words but infused music which the movie has, it gets emotions beyond the surface and gives the opportunity to the audience to draw their own inferences. "August Rush" is definitely worth seeing more than once!

Pretty decent despite the corny theme

Author: Rodrigo Amaro (rodrigo882008@hotmail.com) from São Paulo, Brazil
28 July 2011

Only the magic of movies could make a very unrealistic, unbelievable and improbable story become something joyfully good and very nice to watch. In "August Rush", Freddie Highmore is an orphan boy who escaped the place he was living and goes to New York City where he'll try to find his parents, of whom he never met but he firmly believes they're alive. His search for them is based on following the music, as he says something he really loves, and he'll connect his mom and dad (who are apart of each other) through the music he plays. The movie gives us the vantage of knowing that the boy's parents were two musicians, a rock star played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, and a concertist played by Keri Russell, and both parted different ways after one night stand without knowing what happened to each other, and not even knowing they have a son. In the city, the boy will meet Wizard (Robin Williams), a drifter who uses street kids as street musicians and he'll be surprised with the boy's talent for music, "contracting" his services and giving to the boy the artistic name of August Rush.

As I said, an unrealistic story. But, at times we seem to forget that movies are only mirrors for life, showing a image of life but not really the real image, it's always a slightly distortion, which is why movies are movies and life is life. When people complain that a movie wasn't realistic pointing things here and there it's so annoying that one must ask to himself: What do you really want of a film life or entertainment? Because if we had to look at "August Rush" as the real thing we would be disappointed but seeing as a beautiful voyage of the imagination, this movie works perfectly. It goes for obvious ways, avoids some clichés here and there but it gets trapped with some happy clichés (the climatic ending, though very exciting), it's kind of corny like some nostalgic films of the 1940's but it's always well intentioned. Shows us the beauty, the magic of hearing and perceiving music (to me, the most sublime of arts, if not, the most perfect. A quite harsh opinion coming from someone who really, really loves movies but that's what I believe) and the importance it have in people's lives. Not only August is touched by music but the other characters as well, even Wizard who teaches to August great things about how one must feel the music in order to play it. Music is out there and we need to listen!

The thing I really like about this picture was the choice of actors in their roles, they're all perfectly fit. It's almost impossible to not like them. Highmore is one of the best young actors to ever appear on the screen and his presence makes the whole film; Rhys-Meyers is very charming and nice playing a man who turned his back to the music after not finding inspiration for composing when the love of his life vanished of his life; Keri is effective as her companion; Robin Williams goes okay in playing not much of a positive character, barely resembling the hobo he played in "The Fisher King"; and we have the talents of Terrence Howard, Marian Seldes, Ronald Guttman, Alex O'Loughlin and Mykelti Williamson in secondary characters. And there's the good songs played throughout the film, one of them Oscar nominated for best song in 2008. Pretty decent movie with good qualities and that's a huge deal in times where films seem to have almost none. 8/10

Not what I expected at all

Author: nicole_ward from United Kingdom
24 February 2011

This movie is so amazing and very emotional. I watched the trailer for it and the movie itself is not what I really expected it to be - in a good way. I don't know what I did expect, but it certainly was not the storyline itself. It is a meaningful film and I never knew about it until now, and movies like this should be praised so much more than what they are.

I think it is a film that can be watched by all and even enjoyed by all. The ending - spectacular. I love how this movie does not just hand us everything on a plate, we have to work some things out as we go along. This film is great and I am so glad I got to see it and I really would recommend it to anyone. I wish there were many more films like this, and I do hope to see more.

Unrealistic in the best way you could think of

Author: samuel shen from Hong Kong
23 August 2010

Indeed, this movie has no characters developments, random people are showing up here and there, and the storyline eventually concluded into a typical happy-fancy ending.

Yet, you didn't question Snow White or Cinderella, did you? We all know stories like these are unrealistic, they are just fairy tails which could only be seen on a storybook.

August Rush is no exception, a 11 years old kid will never be the director of Juilliard. What's happening here is that this story has brought the unrealistic fairy tail to a whole new level, a storybook can no longer handle it.

A Hollywood movie that includes the most important element of artwork- Music, will do.

The story itself is unrealistic, but the meaning and fantasy that comes with it is the best unrealistic thing you could ever think of.