IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 35: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Pretty decent despite the corny theme

Author: Rodrigo Amaro (rodrigo882008@hotmail.com) from São Paulo, Brazil
28 July 2011

Only the magic of movies could make a very unrealistic, unbelievable and improbable story become something joyfully good and very nice to watch. In "August Rush", Freddie Highmore is an orphan boy who escaped the place he was living and goes to New York City where he'll try to find his parents, of whom he never met but he firmly believes they're alive. His search for them is based on following the music, as he says something he really loves, and he'll connect his mom and dad (who are apart of each other) through the music he plays. The movie gives us the vantage of knowing that the boy's parents were two musicians, a rock star played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, and a concertist played by Keri Russell, and both parted different ways after one night stand without knowing what happened to each other, and not even knowing they have a son. In the city, the boy will meet Wizard (Robin Williams), a drifter who uses street kids as street musicians and he'll be surprised with the boy's talent for music, "contracting" his services and giving to the boy the artistic name of August Rush.

As I said, an unrealistic story. But, at times we seem to forget that movies are only mirrors for life, showing a image of life but not really the real image, it's always a slightly distortion, which is why movies are movies and life is life. When people complain that a movie wasn't realistic pointing things here and there it's so annoying that one must ask to himself: What do you really want of a film life or entertainment? Because if we had to look at "August Rush" as the real thing we would be disappointed but seeing as a beautiful voyage of the imagination, this movie works perfectly. It goes for obvious ways, avoids some clichés here and there but it gets trapped with some happy clichés (the climatic ending, though very exciting), it's kind of corny like some nostalgic films of the 1940's but it's always well intentioned. Shows us the beauty, the magic of hearing and perceiving music (to me, the most sublime of arts, if not, the most perfect. A quite harsh opinion coming from someone who really, really loves movies but that's what I believe) and the importance it have in people's lives. Not only August is touched by music but the other characters as well, even Wizard who teaches to August great things about how one must feel the music in order to play it. Music is out there and we need to listen!

The thing I really like about this picture was the choice of actors in their roles, they're all perfectly fit. It's almost impossible to not like them. Highmore is one of the best young actors to ever appear on the screen and his presence makes the whole film; Rhys-Meyers is very charming and nice playing a man who turned his back to the music after not finding inspiration for composing when the love of his life vanished of his life; Keri is effective as her companion; Robin Williams goes okay in playing not much of a positive character, barely resembling the hobo he played in "The Fisher King"; and we have the talents of Terrence Howard, Marian Seldes, Ronald Guttman, Alex O'Loughlin and Mykelti Williamson in secondary characters. And there's the good songs played throughout the film, one of them Oscar nominated for best song in 2008. Pretty decent movie with good qualities and that's a huge deal in times where films seem to have almost none. 8/10

Not what I expected at all

Author: nicole_ward from United Kingdom
24 February 2011

This movie is so amazing and very emotional. I watched the trailer for it and the movie itself is not what I really expected it to be - in a good way. I don't know what I did expect, but it certainly was not the storyline itself. It is a meaningful film and I never knew about it until now, and movies like this should be praised so much more than what they are.

I think it is a film that can be watched by all and even enjoyed by all. The ending - spectacular. I love how this movie does not just hand us everything on a plate, we have to work some things out as we go along. This film is great and I am so glad I got to see it and I really would recommend it to anyone. I wish there were many more films like this, and I do hope to see more.

Unrealistic in the best way you could think of

Author: samuel shen from Hong Kong
23 August 2010

Indeed, this movie has no characters developments, random people are showing up here and there, and the storyline eventually concluded into a typical happy-fancy ending.

Yet, you didn't question Snow White or Cinderella, did you? We all know stories like these are unrealistic, they are just fairy tails which could only be seen on a storybook.

August Rush is no exception, a 11 years old kid will never be the director of Juilliard. What's happening here is that this story has brought the unrealistic fairy tail to a whole new level, a storybook can no longer handle it.

A Hollywood movie that includes the most important element of artwork- Music, will do.

The story itself is unrealistic, but the meaning and fantasy that comes with it is the best unrealistic thing you could ever think of.

movie review

Author: nacopiv_vflute from Japan
6 July 2010

I saw this movie last year. This movie made in US since 2007, and it was nominated for No,80 Academy Award Music ; Original Song Award. This movie is the fantasy drama of the impression. The mysterious power of music and parent and child love move the impression to tears. Evan is main character. He meets music, and to regain a bond with parents by music. He grows up in orphanage and believes that his parents will come for him in the future. His parents are musician. Not only his parents but also Evan has wonderful ability of music. He wants to become a famous musician and find out by his parents. He starts to play the guiter in the street in Manhattan, and get more and more famous. On the other hand, as if,his mother Lila who thought that Evan died and his father who depressed without being bound together with Lila are led to the music and go to Manhattan. At last, Evan will perform the music concert...

I was moved

Author: ugca from Japan
24 June 2010

I love this movie. This movie is titled "奇跡のシンフォニー" in Japanese, and it means "The Miracle Symphony". I think that it is agreeable to this movie. The each of three was living with playing music and they were attracted as symphony is played. Of course, the music played in this movie is very good, especially by Evan. And, the acting by Freddie Highmore was so good! He has many variations of expressions. For example, the cute face when Evan enjoys or glad, and the firm face when he decided were so nice that I could catch how Evan feels at that time clearly. This film tells us how important to trust love and the possibility you have, I think.

I really got touched

Author: WILLIAM from Beijing, China
29 June 2008

1) I just got graduated out of college in Beijing and during the last college year I had experienced a lot which had made me come of age. Recently I have been so trapped in another round of emotion lows that I can turn to nobody for any comfort.

2) I've long loved music, which, to my way of thinking, is able to provide me with some time of indulgence. I can completely get into it with no worries bothering me at least when I am listening to it.

3) I am always thinking that I lack talent and the only way I can be qualified, not successful, in the competitions with others is to work harder than them so that my diligence makes up for my genetic weaknesses. I admire the talented so much.

4) Based on my current psychological conditions, my perspectives on music and the talent, I should say that this film succeeds in catching my eyes and heart. It enhances the idea that I am supposed to trust myself, stick to my belief and go for it.

5) Anyway, I kinda assume that the plot is a little bit unrealistic, I mean, there are too many coincidences that might occur to nobody. On another hand, I tell myself that all is not impossible. Maybe all's been well arranged by God. I like this film!!!

fabulous

Author: razaqs from Lithuania
27 June 2008

This movie was so fabuluos and remarkable that I was watching it twice per 10 last hours. I was sitting in my chair and had such a satisfaction listening on this music played during the movie that I had not had a very long time or even never I had such. The story touched my heart that I nearly cried...

I think that "August Rush" should get Oscar's for at least music. Such a music I can listen for hours and days and it ever makes me bored off it.

Seriously I can say that the first time I saw preview, I knew that it will be maybe the best movie during my life and actually it is. Hope it is the same for everyone.

It's been a long time since I cried happy tears

Author: bambionice89 from Denmark
16 May 2008

Call me a sucker, but I can honestly say that this film moved me. The music was beautiful (I gotta buy the soundtrack as soon as I can), and the story itself was well put together in my opinion. The story is simple: a homeless boy is convinced that his parents are out in the world somewhere, looking for him, and does everything in his power to get them to listen, as he discovers his artistic gift for music on his journey along the way.

A beautiful movie about discovering who you really are and where you belong that gets a solid 7 from me. If you're in the mood for fantastic music and entertainment, this is the movie for you.

Music And Drama

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
25 April 2008

A charismatic young Irish guitarist (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and a sheltered young cellist (Keri Russell) have a chance encounter one magical night above New York's Washington Square, but are soon torn apart, leaving in their wake an infant, orphaned by circumstance. Years later, performing on the streets of New York and cared for by a mysterious stranger (Robin Williams) who gives him the name August Rush, the child (Freddie Highmore) uses his remarkable musical talent to seek the parents from whom he was separated at birth. This movie was really good.The cast was awesome and so was the music.I wonder if they did there own singing. August Rush 7/10

Inspiring!

Author: ah-bailey from South Africa
8 April 2008

This might sound corny, but August Rush really inspired me. Sure, the storyline is a bit predictable and the fairytale theme is not so realistic, but it was truly breathtaking throughout. Freddie Highmore is at his best here, playing the title character that never stops believing in finding his parents. He is an amazing actor and his facial expressions really made me feel his pain. The actors who played his parents were also really good, especially Keri Russell who was perfectly cast as the woman who desperately wants to find her son. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was also good, and the scene with him and August playing music together is one of the best moments of the movie. It's such a beautiful scene that's shared between father and son, even though neither of them knew that they were related. The other characters were also amazing, Wizard was really good because at first he seems nice, but then he turns out not be. The little girl that teaches Evan how to play music was such a joy to watch. The last scene of the movie was just so beautiful. It just ended it off so well, instead of making it soppy and predictable. I think it was perfect how in the end, Evan just simply saw his parents and smiled with joy. It would've been ruined, I think, if he had run into his mother's arms or something. I also liked how Louis nodded when he looked at Evan, which leaves the viewer to wonder whether he'd realized that Evan was his son. So all in all, a brilliant movie with beautiful music. It simply took my breath away and inspired me to believe in the power of music, which is truly "a harmonic connection between all human beings."