IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 36: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

corny as Kansas in August

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
27 September 2012

August Rush is as corny as Kansas, but it still works. The plot is completely predictable though preposterously improbable. The suspense is in just how long they are going to delay the climax. It is magic realism about a boy Freddie Highmore playing Evan Taylor aka August Rush who has a supernatural talent to pick up any instrument and instantly start improvising in a creditable way. He even magically learns musical notation without any instruction or ever seeing written music.

A young Jonathan Rhys Meyers (King Henry VIII in the Tutors), as the father, has a face like a piece of art. It is hypnotic, menacing and sexy. The camera gives you plenty of time to contemplate it.

Must of the movie is watching people pretend to sing or pretend to play musical instruments. To a lay eye, it is all quite convincing. I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers actually sang his parts. He made a quite credible rock musician.

The boy is inspired by the incidental sounds around him to create music with matching rhythms and textures. The way the movie flows from one to the other is brilliant and a treat for the ear.

Robin Williams plays a Fagin-like character forces child street musicians to hand over their take. He is quite creepy. You don't think of him as Robin Williams. He IS a crazy, greedy, unscrupulous old coot.

Leon Thomas III as a fellow street urchin/musician stole every scene he appeared in.

The weakest actor is Highmore, who is too bland and generic a little boy.

Jamia Simone Nash, a little black girl, knocked my socks off with her performance in a church choir. I hope we see her again in some other movie. Her part was way too short. I got the feeling I was getting to see Whitney Houston at age 9.

The thing that bugged me most was August's supposedly original composition selected by the Juliard school of music was a complete rip-off of Bach, an interesting arrangement, but not an original composition.

It leaves you feeling good with its impossibly happy ending.

August Rush Review

Author: richards-mitchell from United States, Maquoketa, Iowa
13 March 2012

August Rush is definitely better the second time around. This is a sad, exciting and inspiring movie, for music lovers and for anyone out there who loves a very heart full movie. Kirsten Sheridan did a wonderful job in directing this movie, the music and the way the story line was put together was very intense and always had you wondering what was going to happen next. August Rush has a great storyline, a young orphaned boy named Evan Taylor (Freddie Highmore) has been in foster care for 11 years and counting. He feels the need to search for his parents Lyla Novacek (Keri Russell) and Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) who are both musicians, who met at by "following the music". In events, Lyla becomes pregnant, but tragically gets into an accident where she then finds herself in the hospital with no baby, and she is devastated. Their baby, Evan Taylor is just a boy in an orphanage who won't be anything in life. Wrong. He finds his way to New York City, where dreams are made of in this exciting search for his parents he learns many things and meets lots of people, such as Maxwell "Wizard" Wallace (Robin Williams) who is a "Father" to many homeless kids, Wizard takes Evan in and tries to make him a star! This is where Evan gets the nickname "August Rush" because Evan Taylor is not a "Stars name", this definitely makes it harder for Lyla, who has been searching for him. But when Wizard tries to take advantage of Evan, just for his prodigy like musical skills, Evan has to break free and go find his real family. I love music, and this movie made me accept and love music with even more of a passion than I already do. This movie is definitely one of the best I have ever seen. If only real life was like the movies! Evan Taylor is a music prodigy, from his mother, Lyla, being a Cellist from Julliard and his father, Louis, being an aspiring singer and guitar player; he has a great musical background. Evan learns to play the guitar, but not in a way that you would expect, he beats the strings like a drum, and a beautiful sound comes out. Evan keeps saying that he wants to find his parents and the only way to do this is to play the music, so they will come and find him. I suggest this movie to anyone who adores music like I do, or to anyone who loves an exciting and heart filled movie. This will leave you with a warm feeling inside, and leave you to adore music even more than you already do, and Kirsten Sheridan did this very well.

Extraordinary, breathtaking, mind blowing, stunning, just beautiful!

Author: ivancurlin1 from Croatia
15 January 2012

Oh my God. This move is the one of the best I've seen in my whole life! It has made me so emotional and I'm a guy. I cried for every little thing. I held my hand on my heart and just hearing it beat watched this movie. I really believe that every person should watch it because it is extraordinary, breathtaking, mind blowing, stunning, and just beautiful! It is a movie that you watch when you fell bad or good or happy or sad. It brings out the best in you. Words can not describe this movie enough, it has to be seen to be understood! I give 10/10 and I'm going to watch it again right now, and once again enjoy it like i enjoyed it the first time I've watched it.

Inspiring movie!

Author: pimbon from Bulgaria
4 January 2012

A great movie in combination with the magic of a modern mixed music makes watching it unforgettable and heart touching emotional experience. All three main characters Freddie Highmore (August Rush) , Kris Russel (Lyla), Jonhatan Rhys Meyer distribute power energy, romantic and intriguing element of the movie. Separated by accident and away from each other, they feel the healing power of the Universe to find themselves because they have the fate to be together. Mystery, beauty and inspiration of the Universe power appears by the music as if music frequency transfers package of data signals which are invisible for the human eye but they impact on the human heart, no matter how far apart they are. Indeed fascinating movie without many words but infused music which the movie has, it gets emotions beyond the surface and gives the opportunity to the audience to draw their own inferences. "August Rush" is definitely worth seeing more than once!

Pretty decent despite the corny theme

Author: Rodrigo Amaro (rodrigo882008@hotmail.com) from São Paulo, Brazil
28 July 2011

Only the magic of movies could make a very unrealistic, unbelievable and improbable story become something joyfully good and very nice to watch. In "August Rush", Freddie Highmore is an orphan boy who escaped the place he was living and goes to New York City where he'll try to find his parents, of whom he never met but he firmly believes they're alive. His search for them is based on following the music, as he says something he really loves, and he'll connect his mom and dad (who are apart of each other) through the music he plays. The movie gives us the vantage of knowing that the boy's parents were two musicians, a rock star played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, and a concertist played by Keri Russell, and both parted different ways after one night stand without knowing what happened to each other, and not even knowing they have a son. In the city, the boy will meet Wizard (Robin Williams), a drifter who uses street kids as street musicians and he'll be surprised with the boy's talent for music, "contracting" his services and giving to the boy the artistic name of August Rush.

As I said, an unrealistic story. But, at times we seem to forget that movies are only mirrors for life, showing a image of life but not really the real image, it's always a slightly distortion, which is why movies are movies and life is life. When people complain that a movie wasn't realistic pointing things here and there it's so annoying that one must ask to himself: What do you really want of a film life or entertainment? Because if we had to look at "August Rush" as the real thing we would be disappointed but seeing as a beautiful voyage of the imagination, this movie works perfectly. It goes for obvious ways, avoids some clichés here and there but it gets trapped with some happy clichés (the climatic ending, though very exciting), it's kind of corny like some nostalgic films of the 1940's but it's always well intentioned. Shows us the beauty, the magic of hearing and perceiving music (to me, the most sublime of arts, if not, the most perfect. A quite harsh opinion coming from someone who really, really loves movies but that's what I believe) and the importance it have in people's lives. Not only August is touched by music but the other characters as well, even Wizard who teaches to August great things about how one must feel the music in order to play it. Music is out there and we need to listen!

The thing I really like about this picture was the choice of actors in their roles, they're all perfectly fit. It's almost impossible to not like them. Highmore is one of the best young actors to ever appear on the screen and his presence makes the whole film; Rhys-Meyers is very charming and nice playing a man who turned his back to the music after not finding inspiration for composing when the love of his life vanished of his life; Keri is effective as her companion; Robin Williams goes okay in playing not much of a positive character, barely resembling the hobo he played in "The Fisher King"; and we have the talents of Terrence Howard, Marian Seldes, Ronald Guttman, Alex O'Loughlin and Mykelti Williamson in secondary characters. And there's the good songs played throughout the film, one of them Oscar nominated for best song in 2008. Pretty decent movie with good qualities and that's a huge deal in times where films seem to have almost none. 8/10

Not what I expected at all

Author: nicole_ward from United Kingdom
24 February 2011

This movie is so amazing and very emotional. I watched the trailer for it and the movie itself is not what I really expected it to be - in a good way. I don't know what I did expect, but it certainly was not the storyline itself. It is a meaningful film and I never knew about it until now, and movies like this should be praised so much more than what they are.

I think it is a film that can be watched by all and even enjoyed by all. The ending - spectacular. I love how this movie does not just hand us everything on a plate, we have to work some things out as we go along. This film is great and I am so glad I got to see it and I really would recommend it to anyone. I wish there were many more films like this, and I do hope to see more.

Unrealistic in the best way you could think of

Author: samuel shen from Hong Kong
23 August 2010

Indeed, this movie has no characters developments, random people are showing up here and there, and the storyline eventually concluded into a typical happy-fancy ending.

Yet, you didn't question Snow White or Cinderella, did you? We all know stories like these are unrealistic, they are just fairy tails which could only be seen on a storybook.

August Rush is no exception, a 11 years old kid will never be the director of Juilliard. What's happening here is that this story has brought the unrealistic fairy tail to a whole new level, a storybook can no longer handle it.

A Hollywood movie that includes the most important element of artwork- Music, will do.

The story itself is unrealistic, but the meaning and fantasy that comes with it is the best unrealistic thing you could ever think of.

movie review

Author: nacopiv_vflute from Japan
6 July 2010

I saw this movie last year. This movie made in US since 2007, and it was nominated for No,80 Academy Award Music ; Original Song Award. This movie is the fantasy drama of the impression. The mysterious power of music and parent and child love move the impression to tears. Evan is main character. He meets music, and to regain a bond with parents by music. He grows up in orphanage and believes that his parents will come for him in the future. His parents are musician. Not only his parents but also Evan has wonderful ability of music. He wants to become a famous musician and find out by his parents. He starts to play the guiter in the street in Manhattan, and get more and more famous. On the other hand, as if,his mother Lila who thought that Evan died and his father who depressed without being bound together with Lila are led to the music and go to Manhattan. At last, Evan will perform the music concert...

I was moved

Author: ugca from Japan
24 June 2010

I love this movie. This movie is titled "奇跡のシンフォニー" in Japanese, and it means "The Miracle Symphony". I think that it is agreeable to this movie. The each of three was living with playing music and they were attracted as symphony is played. Of course, the music played in this movie is very good, especially by Evan. And, the acting by Freddie Highmore was so good! He has many variations of expressions. For example, the cute face when Evan enjoys or glad, and the firm face when he decided were so nice that I could catch how Evan feels at that time clearly. This film tells us how important to trust love and the possibility you have, I think.

I really got touched

Author: WILLIAM from Beijing, China
29 June 2008

1) I just got graduated out of college in Beijing and during the last college year I had experienced a lot which had made me come of age. Recently I have been so trapped in another round of emotion lows that I can turn to nobody for any comfort.

2) I've long loved music, which, to my way of thinking, is able to provide me with some time of indulgence. I can completely get into it with no worries bothering me at least when I am listening to it.

3) I am always thinking that I lack talent and the only way I can be qualified, not successful, in the competitions with others is to work harder than them so that my diligence makes up for my genetic weaknesses. I admire the talented so much.

4) Based on my current psychological conditions, my perspectives on music and the talent, I should say that this film succeeds in catching my eyes and heart. It enhances the idea that I am supposed to trust myself, stick to my belief and go for it.

5) Anyway, I kinda assume that the plot is a little bit unrealistic, I mean, there are too many coincidences that might occur to nobody. On another hand, I tell myself that all is not impossible. Maybe all's been well arranged by God. I like this film!!!