IMDb > August Rush (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
August Rush

August Rush More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 35: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Largest piece of cheese in years

Author: sympho from Toronto, Canada
12 November 2007

I couldn't believe my ears in opening VO already. Sappy & cheesy to high heaven. And it only got worse. We were able to predict the entire plot to details, including the obvious ending. Beside being more soapy than all the soap operas together, it has also really primitive spots. Even Mozart took much longer time to learn to play and write music than this Hollywood invention - and that was a real prodigy & genius.

The final piece of music, that was supposed to be the revelation of this musical genius was exactly the same - soap. Not only that, half of it was arrangement of Bach's music. It was rather funny to hear the composer at the Q&A after the screening telling the audience about weeks of sleepless nights "composing" this. It's music of such quality that one would almost believe that it was written by a little boy who did not know how to read music 6 months ago. Definitely not a work of a genius ;-) It is hard to believe that an institution like NY Phil would go into project like this. This is such a disservice to classical music and all the musicians who know that there is nothing possible by talent solely. One of the worst movies ever. Even if I take it as an urban fairy-tale, it's just too much of a kitsch.

Only a few this good are made each year...

Author: HistoryProdADM from United States
14 November 2013

So I know this film is a few years old and since I rarely find the time to make review posts, I kind of lump them all together. Anyway, this film was magic for me. There's only a few movies a year that you watch and you just don't want it to end.. or when it does, you leave the theater (or your home theater) completely satisfied... and this was one of them. To talk to much about the plot or the story would be to give it away, but essentially it centers around a gifted orphan in search of his parents (and that's stripping it down to its most base theme).. The complete use of sound and score that accompanies this movie is amazing as is the cinematography. Beautifully shot, well made, well acted movie. Enough said!

Inspiration

Author: Isabel P from Portugal
14 October 2013

Amazing movie with an incredible story about a little boy who never gave up and kept faith.

I watched this several times with my mom, she loves it, and it is an excellent family movie. I recommend watch this with someone from your family because it is all about love between father/mother and son.

The main theme is family but it also provides music content, it is really interesting how someone can be so talented even with 7 years old. A child with a gift for music is something that can touch every heart and surprise the world

This movie taught me not to give up the people we love because if there is something to fight for.. is for them.

Fairytale

Author: Lene Vrolix
4 August 2013

A beautiful story, almost a fairytale. I love music and I love how they played with it in this movie. The way you hear how the music is born is a special experience. The story is very beautiful. It's a little bit predictable, but aren't all fairy tales a bit predictable? The innocence of the boy is played very well by Freddie Highmore. I think he's an excellent actor. He plays really good and believable, even at such a young age. Sometimes I don't really like drama's, because they try to let you cry or they have really long, cheesy dialogs that aren't necessary. This movie succeeds to tell a beautiful story without those long dialogs. I really recommend to watch it.

August Rush

Author: Chris from C-World
4 July 2013

Beautiful musical tale about a boy with musical talent. He uses his gift to find his parents who he lost contact with at birth to reunite with them. Unique acting by Freddie Highmore and the entire cast.

Jamia Simone Nash, amazing vocals she had throughout the film. This film will uplift you if you love wonderful music. A recommendation for all families and music lovers. August Rush is a must watch film because it's a very inspirational story.

Remarkable movie filled with love, art, music, inspiration, and hope. It'll touch your soul. Great direction by Kirsten Sheridan.

This film is a masterpiece and by purchasing the film you'll cherish this one forever.

lovely and sweet movie

Author: lpnarnialover09 from California, Unites States
10 April 2013

I love movies reveolving around music and " August Rush" is the type of movie that makes your heart soar from beginning to end.It's a heartwarming story aboutva young boy searching for his parents through music.The movie has an all star cast with Jonathan Rhys Meyers who would later play King Henry in the Tudors, Kerri Russell who has been quite a few TV shows and movies a young Leon Thomas who kids will recognise from the nickalodeon show " Victorious" where he plays Andre and August Rush played by Freddie Highmore and Robin Williams, The music tugs your heart the minute you hear it, the acting is perfect and not over the top or dripping with sappiness.If you haven't seen this movie yet buy or borrow a copy you will not regret it,

Oliver Twist like story with music that touches the heart

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
10 April 2013

Watching this movie is like watching a "Oliver Twist" story with some great, emotional and even inspirational music. Except the parents of the little boy Oliver Twist well actually Evan or August Rush has parents that are both musicians that are looking for August. And the plot is basically about a boy named Evan/August Rush that feels music and is a musical prodigy. And through music he is trying to find his loved ones, which is his parents. Now this would have been a amazing movie if the heartfelt and emotional aspects had a bit more substance to it. And didn't so artificial or forced at times. It basically feels like a fairy tale where certain parts just seemed a bit too coincidental. But it's to bring out that bonding moments between certain characters and if it did try to go in a fairytale-esque direction. Or tries to go with that "Oliver Twist" vibe it's understandable I guess. But it just seemed a bit too cheesy and just not a very believable dialogues between characters and just seemed forced at times. Despite that the music really does bring about quite a bit of emotions. And so props go to the composers for this movie. It's worth a rental and a watch but it's not a movie I would want to watch over and over again.

7.3/10

A very gifted boy is in search for his past believing that his dream will come true.

Author: morecar from United States
16 February 2013

One of the best movies I have ever seen all the elements of this movie falls together perfectly. Excellent photography, music score and casting. The harmony of the character with their own music theme is awesome.

The writer, producer and director knew what they were doing even in every detail. I heard this movie mas made base in a piece of music conceptualizing the end and finishing the production with the beginning. This worked very well.

Truthfully a real work of art with a positive message, hard to see this days.

Beauty without logic!!

Author: JOSEPH PIUS from India
5 February 2013

AUGUST RUSH ( 2007 )

Have been trying to watch it fully once more since the time saw it first. Now only it became possible. The movie is fully about MUSIC but , didn't feel so convincing and real at some points in the movie. Apart from that felt it's good altogether. So lets keep that aside.

It's the story of a boy named EVAN TAYLOR, orphaned ( by circumstances when he was born ) and whose parents who were also separated because of the same circumstances as his, finds each other and unites with the gift they all have got equally and immensely : MUSIC.

Clever casting and very fine performances by the actors, EVAN was too good so was LYLA. The main part of this, of course the MUSIC is very beautiful and very well matching the mood of the movie. Story is drafted to a script with flaws but it doesn't change the course or make it less enjoyable. Could have been much better by being a bit more REAL. Cool name and a nice movie as the name tells.

Fantastic movie

Author: ggizem-10 from türkiye
25 December 2012

Every description of this movie is correct. I can't possibly add to the descriptions without giving the story away. But I can add that the acting of Freddie Highmore is among the best. This whole movie is filled with emotion and actors that really fill the bill. I will put this movie on my set and listen to it 24/7. The music is outstanding, best piece of guitar work I've seen in a long time. "The Bari Improv" which I believe is Kaki King's crowning achievement, is not to be missed. And watching Freddie Highmore's face while performing it so to speak, is a pleasure unto it's own. I get such a kick out of watching that scene, because I love music, and know what his character is feeling at that point. A friend recommended this movie to me because she knows my love of music, not to mention my love of movies. I'm glad she did. And I hope to pass this on to anyone who has not seen this yet. Before you watch any other movie, if you see no other movie for the rest of your life, take the time to watch this extremely impressive movie that will surely bring tears to your eyes. This is a pure delight of a movie. And watching the faces of the five main characters is worth every minute of your time.